FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Splenda or Aspartame? Brand Name or Generic? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Splenda or Aspartame? Brand Name or Generic?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is it?

Has anyone noticed that only the generic sodas use Splenda? And that the difference between Splenda and Aspartame is huge?

I say this as I drink a diet soda flavored with Splenda.

But diet soda creeps me out in some way. It's got flavor, but no calories. How is that POSSIBLE? Is there a negate-effect somewhere, so that every Diet Pepsi we drink, a star winks out of existence?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait. What's the difference?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda tasts a lot like sugar flavored soda...it has the sweetness and not the bitterness that aspartame has.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Drink regular. Problem solved.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

But what's it made out of?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Death to diet sodas!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspartame sounds like an amino acid. Why would anyone drink an amino acid? Splenda sounds better, but it's more something a metrosexual would drink...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That's part of why I gained so much weight! Switching to diet started my downward trend.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate how people have been calling Splenda "the healthy alternative" or crap like that. It's not healthy; we just don't know what it does yet.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda is sucralose -- "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar!"

Aspartame is the generic name for Nutrasweet. Nasty aftertaste.

Hansen's uses Splenda in its diet drinks. Hansen's good. Mmmm.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

I love pH.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Splenda in Fresca?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple, pH, Splenda is packaged in yellow and Aspartame is packaged in blue.

*grin*

I think that Splenda's supposed to be made from natural ingredients. It tastes nasty to me, but to each her own. I like aspartame (equal, natrasweet) because it dissolves better than sugar in iced tea and doesn't have an aftertaste (to me--qualifier alert!) like sugar does.

I prefer using generic/offbrand aspartame because it is cheaper than Equal(tm) and tastes the same.

(edited to mutter about people who reply faster than I *mutter*mutter*)

[ December 28, 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: jexx ]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That's what creeps me out...we don't know what any of the artificial sweeteners DO to us.
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm telling you. For every aspartame flavored diet soda we consume, there's a star winking out somewhere in the universe and the people warmed by that star are cursing our aspartame drinking ways.
pH
Member # 1350

I am loved! Hooray!
mackillian
Member # 586

*tackle hugs pH*

I meant to do that when I saw you were back on the board. [Big Grin]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Well, we have a pretty good idea that nutrasweet does something bad to us. I know I, for one, get headaches from it.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Doesn't it cause cancer in lab animals?
pH
Member # 1350

I think that's, uh...what's it called.....

Saccarine.

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

I think all the cigarettes those lab technicians smoke give the lab animals cancer...
narrativium
Member # 3230

Look at my post count!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspartame apparently also has the added side-benefit (sarcasm) that it slows one's metabolism down. Thus, if one drinks Nutrasweetened diet drinks at one's meals, it can result in weight gain rather than loss. Cool, eh?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I wouldn't doubt it. That's why I only have the fattening sodas. I figure dying of a high cholesterol is probably about as bad as dying of cancer, and normal sugar tastes better, anyway.

I will use honey on things like my cereal, though.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Holy Hell, Batman! [Eek!]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
what if artificial sweetener is really made out of little tiny sugar people and the cancer is their way of getting back at us?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*stares at Moose, terrified. Swears off soda*
mackillian
Member # 586

I thought weight loss was a caloric math game?

If anyone would know this, it's you, Moose Man. [Smile]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
what if artificial sweetener is really made out of little tiny sugar people and the cancer is their way of getting back at us?
Or what if cancer is actually the sugar people's fountain of youth and they think they're helping us by giving it to us?
mackillian
Member # 586

We could be winking out the tiny little sugar people's STARS! [Eek!]
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend whose mother went crazy because she had too much Nutrasweet (aspartame) in her system.

Of course, she drank 24 diet pepsis a day.

Moderation, my friends, moderation in all things.

My friend's mother had to switch to *shudder* Tab. I think that is sweetened with saccharine. I use the word 'sweetened' to mean 'not sweetened in any way conceivable', of course.

She is still crazy.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

mack: What does this have to do with stars? Please elaborate. Take a couple of posts if you have to.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that aspartame is fairly addictive, but this is hearsay and I have not read any reputable documents confirming such. All the same, I would not use it.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if that scares you, you should know soy protein isolate also slows the metabolism. It depresses the thyroid. So all those energy bars...

Splenda is sugar bound with chlorine, so it can't be absorbed.

Aspartame is a synthetic amino.

All sweet things make you want more sweets, even if they don't raise insulin. They can make you hungrier. Unless you are one of those people who easily transmutes sweet stimulus into fantasies about Viggo Mortenson.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Moose man done gained back over half of the weight he lost when he was on a strict Atkins diet, so maybe Moose don't know so much.

I used to say that saccharine caused cancer, aspartame caused brain damage, and sugar caused fat, and I choose fat. But so far, sucralose doesn't seem to cause anything except sweetness, so I'm ok with Diet Hansen's, because fat ain't all that pleasant, either. And once I'm out of stocking candy, I'm gonna Atkins it again. Exactly what I'm not supposed to do, I realize, but until I get a job, I can't afford to buy larger size pants.

Oaxaca, but that got off-topic....

--Pop

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Goat, mack is just suffering from motion sickness.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember to keep chocolate in your diet (the real stuff, as lightly sweetened as you can tolerate with enjoyment).
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Honey is NO heathier than sugar, btw. It's a popular myth, but it just ain't so.

Some stuff to make you worry about artificial sweeteners.

Really worry.

REALLY worry.

[Dont Know] She ain't that worried.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
i drink water milk ice tea and sometimes egg nog
Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
Honey is NO heathier than sugar, btw. It's a popular myth, but it just ain't so.
I know, but it's more natural. I get my honey from a special honey dealer place, not from the store. And, besides, I think honey tastes better; it's just not as...what's the word...as sugar.

[ December 28, 2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, it's the "former science teacher" thing striking again. [Smile]

I prefer the taste of honey too. I'm just used to students who are convinced that honey (or fructose, or some other alternative for white sugar that still IS sugar) is significantly more healthy.

But I'm with you on the taste! I use honey in my tea, in whole wheat bread, and lots of other stuff.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats miraculin.

Swish a berry in your mouth, and anything sour you eat for about a half an hour tastes sweet. It's a long-chain protein that attaches to taste buds and activates the sweet sensors when something acidic touches it. I've given people straight lemon juice and they thought it was lemonade.

Not used in the U.S., but popular in Japan. Non nutritive and no funny taste.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Splenda is a structural isomer of regular sugar (three hydrogen/carbon groups are switched) that cannot be metabolized by the human body. Our enzymes don't fit it, so it passes through unmetabolized.

FDA-approved since 1999. Long-term studies still pending.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, it's an L-sugar? I didn't realize that! Cool.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I got here late. CT is exactly correct, and I would be surprised that Splenda could have many long-term health concerns considering its chemistry.

Nutrasweet on the other hand frightens me. I lecture my wife about intake and will not let my children drink Nutrasweet containing products.

Interesting facts:

Coca-Cola petitioned the FDA to not let aspartame become approved because its own in-house data was alarming. This was done very quietly, but some references can be found on the web if you search.

Aspartame is metabolized with methanol or "wood alcohol" as a by-product. This in itself is not dangerous in lower amounts. Certain fruits have the same catabolism pathway. But for the aunties that drink a case of Diet Pepsi a day, the consequences can be very debilitating.

I recommend that no one drink Nutrasweet products, and if you feel compelled to anyway, to limit your intake to one serving per day.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Wait, what were the results? What does it cause?

*eyes her sugarfree Redbull* Traitor!

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite conspiracy posts about aspartame:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Aspartame.html

This is another HIGHLY INFORMATIVE conspiracy posts on an artificial sweetener called Stevia. It is not FDA approved, and for good reason. It would cause the Nutrasweet market to end up like the saccharin market, and we as Americans are SUPPOSED to worship the dollar.

Anyway, this is a neat article:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/stevia.html

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Most toxic levels of aspartame mimic the broad-rangings symptoms of Lupus. Often, initial diagnoses of Lupus are ruled out by lab testing and analysis, and later the problem is found out to be excessive aspartame consumption.

Lupus is a disease that affects the immune system. We can think of the immune system as an army within the body with hundreds of defenders (known as antibodies). They defend the body from attack by germs and viruses. In lupus, however, the immune system becomes overactive and creates antibodies that attack healthy tissues in the body, such as: the skin, kidneys, lungs, heart and brain. This attack induces inflammation, causing redness, pain, and swelling.

More people have lupus than AIDS, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, sickle-cell anemia and cystic fibrosis combined. The Lupus Foundation of America estimates that between 1,400,000 and 2,000,000 people reported to have been diagnosed with lupus. For most people lupus is a mild disease. For others, it may cause serious and even life-threatening problems.

Definition taken from The Lupus Foundation of Greater Washington

[ December 28, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*pouts* I already linked that article. It was the "really worry" one. [Wink]
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Sorry Rivka, I read your post but skipped the links. You can have the credit on that one! Aside from the entire art. sweetener debate, I just LOVE the nexusmagazine website. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.