FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yay, I just started writing my first story (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yay, I just started writing my first story
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy. I've just started writing my first piece of fiction. My question is,"Now, What?" Where can go for help with grammar? Jon Boy, any ideas? How about copyright?

Once I've gotten it proofread and coprighted, how do I go about getting it published?

I'm not sure wheter it will be a novel or short story. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. [Smile]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

*bump*

I really hope somebody can help me.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'm fairly certain that Douglas Adams has a copyright on "Now, What?" I'd steer clear of phrases like that.

For grammar, I've heard there's a real active community on Orson Scott Card's - he's a sci-fi author - website.

I'm not sure about copyrighting something. I've never officially done it, but my dad has for some music he's written. I believe you send your stuff somewhere.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Now what isn't the title, it's a plea for help. I started this thread so that someone might volunteer to help with grammar.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she means the writer's workshops link near the top of this page.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Oh. Thanks pooka. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Copyright is automatic. No need to do a thing about it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is to write it first. That will answer the question of whether it's a novel or a short story, among other things. Don't worry about trying to publishing it until after you've gotten it written. You'll find that's an education in and of itself.

I'm sure there are people right here at Hatrack who would be willing to critique it for you when it's finished, depending on its length.

As for grammar, just do the best you can. You'll know very quickly if you need to haul out the old grammar textbook again.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with AFR -- just get it written first. Worry about the grammer when you get to the first edit after the story is done.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thank one and all for the advice. If this thing ever does get published, I'm definitely mentioning OSC and the residents of the Hatrack River in the dedication. One Jatraquera, in particular will be mentioned. You know whou you are. Thank you. [Smile]
Derrell
Member # 6062

I was just wondering if Y'all would be interested in periodic reports on the progress of my first story. Did I just say y'all? Oh well. I know many of you are writers, so I thought some of you might be interested in following my journey into writerdom. Writerdom? Is that a word? [Wink]

Anyway, I'm up to 677 words. [Big Grin] Yay! Let me know if there's interest in future updates.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka: Ahem. "She"? Oh well, what goes around, comes around, I guess.

Sorry Derrel. I was just trying to give you the least advice in the longest way possible. I thought that would be apparent. ::sigh::

Anyway, I'd be interested in your story.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks, Goat. I'm now up to 835 words. When I post the first excerpt, should I post it in this thread, or start a new one? How much of it should I post?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest asking for volunteers, and emailing it to whoever says they'll look at it. That's how many jatraqueros have done it. I also suggest waiting until you have a complete story or chapter.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks, AFR, I'll do that.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
When you finish, you should mail it to yourself and keep the envelope sealed. That way if anyone tries to take credit for your story, you can bring the sealed, dated, postmarked envelope up as evidence.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't want to post more than a small fragment (we use 13 lines over in the Writers Workshop) of anything you want to try to publish later, because otherwise you have effectively published it. Editor's don't want to buy things that people have already published.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks, Ryuko. I'll do that. Should I do it with the revisions or just the final draft? I'm still writing it, but I'm up to 1128 words.

What is the minimum length for a novel? What's the average length of short stories? Thanks again for all the advice everyone. [Hat]

GZ
Member # 6077

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
A great source for some free writing information on the basics is www.swfa.org -- even if you don't want to do science fiction and fantasy.

Novels are usuall 90K+ words, although I think 60K is the minimum for the Nebula awards.

Short Stories is anything less than about 10K, and, though it depends on genre, are often around 2000 to 4000 words.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell,

I'd be happy to read it. Just send it to me when your finished. My e-mail is in my profile. Good luck.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, good job starting! Half of us don't get that far.

But, it is VERY VERY unlikely you will get your first story published. Right now, You're trying out your style, the kind of story you want to write, pacing, dicription, dialogue, and a million other things you need to hone before you're publishable.

Your second and third and fifteeth stories are bound to be better than this one, because you'll understand your skills better.

I'm not saying you'll NEVER get published, only that it'll take a LONG time, and a LOT of rejection slips.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

I'd like to ask those of you who are writers to share stories about your journey to writerdom. They can be stories about getting published, getting rejected, or the process of getting the story finished. Any takers?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The process of "getting the story finished" is my favourite one. It's a bit lengthy though.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Teshi, if you have a story to share, I'd love to hear it. Who cares if it's long.
Derrell
Member # 6062

If anybody is interested, my story is almost to 2000 words. If nobody's interested,it's stiil at almost 2000 words. And for anyone who doesn't care, I have but one thing to say to you. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] OK,that's three things, so sue me.

I'd still like to hear some stories about writing from those who have been down the path I now find myself on.

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I got my first rejection. I was so excited! My first rejection! Only a hundred more rejections to go before I get published.

What was said before is true, even of very talented writers. Once you take up the craft seriously, expect to be writing a few years before you get published. It is kind of like going to college. It takes a bit of training.

Of course, you may be that exceptional writer. In fact, you probably need to believe that.

Congrats on the 2000 words.

The fact that you didn't know if it would be a novel or a short story suggests to me that you need to have a slightly more concrete idea about what you are writing. The short story and the novel both have slightly different requirements and structures to work. For instance, you have only about the first three sentences in a short story to get across who your protagonist is and what kind of a story it will be. People should be solidly into the story by the first page. A short story can really only handle about 2 major characters and a handful of minors. Less is more, here. A novel, OTOH, can take a few pages to introduce a character. You can have a handful of main characters and tens or hundreds of minor characters. (Be careful about the hundreds. They better bring something to the story, each and every one of them.)

Anyway, good luck and keep on writing. Even when it isn't fun.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks,Amka. The more I write, the more convinced I am that this will be a novel. I don't think I can adequately tell the whole story in a short story.

Now I have a question about the past. What's the best way to weave past events into a story. I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject. The central character's past plays a vital role in telling the story. For those who have written fiction, how have you brought up past events. Would it be better to reval the past in small pieces, or in one big chunk?

Derrell
Member # 6062

I can't believe I'm already up to 2500 words. Once I start writing, it seems I can't stop. Does this happen to anybody else?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
All the time. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
You are on a roll, and that is a good thing. Ride it while you can.

It depends on how far in the past your event is. It may be that your started the story in the wrong place and you need to write a new beginning. You can use what you've written now, but it will just occur later on.

Or it may be so far in the past and off the story line that starting there would be awkward. In that case, just remember the pros and cons of how you introduce this past information. Just remember that flashbacks, while divulging something useful, can stop the narrative of the story. It is a price you have to pay. Is it worth it? If you can break it up into chunks without losing clarity, that will help the story move along a little smoother.

Look at it through your character's eyes. Under what circumstances will your character remember that past? Will they pour themselves into the memory and go over and over it, being consumed by it so that it destroys them or will flashes of it merely occur to them over the course of their activities now, or anything inbetween.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of flashbacks, you had better divulge pertinent information right away. If you spring the fact that he's a black-belt in some ancient for of Japanese martial arts on me at the last moment, I will feel cheated. Keeping information from the readers that the POV character knows, for no reason, is kind of dangerous and yet dumping information on your readers is also dangerous.

Perhaps consider informing the audience by inference only. I'm reminded of the first season of ER. They start it off with Dr. Ross (Clooney) and Nurse Hathaway (Marguilies -- horrible spelling there, btw) already having a history; although that history is never explicitly stated, you get a feel for exactly how it is after a while.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, Derrell. Keep that writing going!

Rahl... everything reminds you of ER accept when it reminds you of Friends. [Wink]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Season 2 comes out April 27th!

"Rib spreaders, STAT.... I said STAT people!"

Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Knight Ender
Member # 6205

- posted      Profile for Knight Ender   Email Knight Ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, first post.

I wrote a short story and sent it to a bunch of my friends on the Ornery American forum, and they helped a lot. I finished it and it's about 8500 words. There was some good advice in the posts above, so thanks. What is your story about? I registered just to ask, (actually Lalo invited me about three weeks ago, but) so please reply. Thanks.

KE

Hey, y'all got more smiley characters than us!

[ February 14, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Knight Ender ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Welcome to Hatrack. [Hat] My story is about a guy who follows his dream to run away and join the circus. The working title is "My Life As A Clown."
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell, click on the Uncle Orson's Writing Class link above. Read everything. After all, we know he knows what he's talking about. One of them is on introducing info from the past. He even gives two examples. Good stuff.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks, AvidReader. I've read the lessons in the past, but now that I've started writing, I'll have to go back and read them again.

I'm now up to 3050 words. I hope some of you will share your successes and failures in this thread, so that I can learn from them.

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My writing history, to some extent:

It started off in 7th grade, when I decided to begin writing some poetry. It was absolutely horrible. In 8th grade, I became very serious about my poetry, and in a gigantic leap halfway through eight grade, my poetry went from horrible to utterly amazing. So amazing, in fact, that a few of the poems I wrote at the beginning of that jump are still better than any other poem I've written since then.

These poems boosted my ego greatly. Eventually, near the end of 8th grade, I convinced myself that I was going to write a novel. I started writing it, as well as my poetry, through ninth grade. Then, I went to OSC's Writer's Class, and realized that my novel was an utter p.o.s. I chucked it out and decided I'd rather start writing short stories, and work up to a novel in the future.

My first "real" short story was written at the beginning of tenth grade. Actually, I wrote it, and then a few weeks later we had to write a short story in my english class. I turned in this story and got an A on it. Looking back, the story was an utter p.o.s., save for some good raw ideas.

I wrote a few poems between the beginning of 10th grade to 11th grade, but by 11th grade, I was sick of poetry, finding short stories and such much more fascinating. I knew I could write a much better story than I had in 10th grade, but I never really got around to it.

Then, in 11th grade, we had to write a fact-based scary story (involving American History) around Halloween for our history class. Well, we were SUPPOSED to. Most of the rest of the class crapped out and my teacher allowed them to simply find a story and read it. I was excited though. This was my chance to shine. I did some research on a specific haunted house in my area and wrote a short story involving that house. I got an A- on that story. Whereas it's not the best story I've ever written, it's still something I'm very proud of. This was the point in my writing where I started writing stuff I was proud of.

I wrote a few more stories in 11th grade. Some were much better than others. All of them were fairly rough, except for that history story. All of them DID have flaws though. For example, in the history one, I didn't really dive deep enough into the character's personality. It was much more plot driven, as were a bunch of the stories I wrote afterwards.

My senior year came and I kept writing. My main weaknesses that I knew of were "too plot-driven", and I felt my dialogue was weak. Still I kept writing. And one day, I wrote a story, and I looked at it. It had a good balance of plot and character development, not to mention the dialogue was fine.

I realized that, looking back at my writing history, the more I wrote, the more I learned how to write better. It made so much sense.

I even wrote a screenplay for my film and video class. About a 30 minute movie. My principal wouldn't allow me to film it for class (which upset me a LOT) because it was "too mature" (as in, the protagonist was a cutter, though for completely different reasons, and it ended on an uplifting, healing note). He DID say however that the screenplay was very good. And he said the dialogue was excellent.

Anyway, I'm still writing now, and my writing is getting better and better. I've joined a hatrack writer's group, and I often ask fellow hatrackers to critique my stories. (Which, btw, does WONDERS for my stuff. It's hard to believe how polished my stuff is after it's critiqued by everyone.)

And to finish this tangent-filled post, I'll give you an example of the vast differences in my stories. A few weeks ago, I asked Mack to read one of my stories. She couldn't get into it because it bored her, or something like that. (A side note: You cannot take stuff like that personally. While Mack didn't like the story, a bunch of other hatrackers loved it, and many were confident that it will get published. It's currently been polished, edited, and submitted to a magazine.) Anyway, the other day I began a new short story. I got Mack to read the beginning, and she IM's me back, saying something along the lines of "Holy Poo! If you don't finish writing this story I'm going to kill you."

So yeah, to sum up this entire, long-winded, tangent-filled post: Practice, Practice, Practice is utterly correct. The more you write, the better you get at it.

Oh yeah, and reading a lot helps too.

-Noah

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And with that post, Noah's writing improved by one gold star. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks, Noah. My story is up to 3500 words. Noah, would you be interested in reading the first part of my story? I don't know if Mack would or not. It's about a guy who leaves home at 18 to follow his dream of joining the circus. I'd love the feedback. If your interested, let me know the best way to get it to you. I can e-mail you what I've got so far, or post some of it here on Hatrack. Mack, you can read it too, if you want to. I'm interested in finding out what others think of it.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Noah, or Mack if you're interested in reading what I've written so far, you can e-mail me or just post in this thread. My e-mail address is in my profile. Again, thanks for the input.

[ February 14, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
send it over to IceDragon60@aol.com and I'll try to take a look at it soon.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

quote:
And with that post, Noah's writing improved by one gold star.
And with that post, Jamie's "brownie points from Noah" score just improved by one chocolate brownie point.
Derrell
Member # 6062

3662 words. I'm sorry if I'm boring everybody with this, but I'm so excited about this. I know that I have a long way to go before I can make a living doing this, but I've taken my first steps down the path to writerdom.

Did anyone else around here get this excited when they started writing their first story, or am I just weird? I know that asking that question is like waving a red cape in front of a bull, but I'll take my chances. [Big Grin]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
When do I see those brownies?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Noah, I just e-mailed you the story. I'm writing it in Microsoft Works, so it should be easy to open the attachment. If you have trouble with it, let me know and I'll paste the story into the body of an e-mail. Thanks.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Noah, can I have some brownies too. MMMM, brownies. [Big Grin]
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Received. MSWord is fine.

And Jamie, it'll take a lil bit to make em. They're SPECIAL brownies. No snowboarder should be without some.

Derrell
Member # 6062

By special brownies, do you mean they contain that special ingredient that Cheech & Chong were so fond of. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Derrell
Member # 6062

I hope you like the story. As for the special brownies [No No] .
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.