FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What age difference can there be in a romantic relationship? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What age difference can there be in a romantic relationship?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well? I know the question is worded badly, but that's only because I'm tired. And that's a good excuse only because I said so.

I'd say ten years is probably the max, in my opinion. To have a close and meaningful relationship, you'd have to have similar core beliefs. But when your ages are ten years apart, you no longer grew up in the same time period, the same generation. Many of your beliefs will be drastically different, as would changes in your life. Picture a woman losing her father-in-law when she's only 30, or a man losing his wife when he's only in his late 50's.

I know there are exceptions, just like there are rocks that float or anime that's digestible with enough antacids, but the far majority of marriages like these that I have seen have ended in tragedy.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the rule is Your Age/2 + 7. Upper limit being Your Age - 7 * 2

So for me, it's between 16 and 22. [Wink] to all you eligible bachelors...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on how late the couple gets together. But then, I'm 22. My parents are ~15 years apart, and my dad is in his late seventies.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
The older you get the less it matters. I'm 4 years older than my wife, but if I'd have met her even a year earlier, we probably wouldn't have gotten along. (She was only 18 when we met and changed a lot between 17 and 18)

I have a friend that is 12 years older than his wife, and they are perfect for each other.

The problem with your idea Ryuko is that my grandmother met her current husband shortly after my grandfather died. She was 70 at the time. 70/2+7=52 and there's no way that she'd have found anyone that much older. Conversely, 18 yr olds shouldn't be dating 70 yr olds.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i dated a girl four years younger. and a girl 6 years older.

my rule is at least 18 but lately ive been thinking at least 20/21. other than that i say it doesn't matter.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't 70/2+7=42? There it is! The question to the answer to the meaning of life.

Anyway, I agree that the older both are, the wider the gap can be. When I was 22, 27 seemed old. Now that I'm 25, I've widened the gap a bit: three under, ten over. That seems reasonable enough for me now, but I may change my mind as I continue to age.

Now, my parents were 25 years apart, and the age difference wasn't the problem. Aside from the advanced state of dysfunction, the downside to my dad being so old was that he died before I got a chance to really appreciate him.

Age and maturity level are two different things. Not that 18 year olds should be dating 70 year olds, but there are cases in which large age gaps are irrelevant.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, why is Ryuko's range larger than mine? With that logic, I've only got the option 15 to 18 year olds. What's up with that?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Goat, I loathe myself for saying this, but I really think it depends on the people. I swore after my first marriage ended that my next husband would be closer to my own age. My first husband was 8 years older. My now-husband is 9 years older. *rolls eyes at self* So much for that idea.

One of the best couples I know has a 13 year difference -- where SHE is the older of the two. You can't tell they have a difference in age at all, neither by looking at them (he's a cancer survivor, which makes him look older, and she's just plain out gorgeous with a face that will always age well) nor by knowing them personally. They have one of the best marriages I've ever seen. I hold them up as a standard to aspire to.

So I guess it depends on the people, though generally, to me, that much of an age difference would be a red flag.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony's 10 years older than me (21 - 31) and we've been together for 3 1/2 years now.

Age was an issue at first: mainly his friends comprehending he was dating an 18 year old, and my friends comprehending I was dating a 28 year old.

Our families were a little hesitant at the beginning, but as soon as they saw we were (and are) happy they were fine with it. Once we got through that, we didn't have any age issues.

Mind you, neither of us is typical for our respective ages. Tony has just gone back to uni (PhD) so we'll both be studying this year, and I have always been very indepedent.

[ February 25, 2004, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think age difference is something that has some kind of universal boundary. It really depends on the people involved. For example, my parents are ten years apart. My older brother married a woman who was (I think) seven years older, but he was definitely the more mature of the two; after their son was born (her second child, though the first was...I don't know where), she refused to take on any responsibilities in caring for him and basically plopped him down in front of the tv to keep him quiet. [Mad]

It depends on the backgrounds of both people, definitely, how they were raised, what they value, etc. a lot more than simple age, in my opinion.

Edit: Teh speeling.

[ February 25, 2004, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: pH ]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
What pH is getting at is that she really, really wants me to ask her out.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Dammit! How can I be so transparent?! *shakes fist*
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't date anyone older than my mother or younger than my little sister.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom once said (in reference to one of my sister’s older boyfriends) that it was okay to date anyone closer to your age than your parents’ age. That same sister is now considering dating an older guy with teenage kids, and has decided to add the caveat that you also must be closer to his age than his kids’ age.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
my grandmother & grandfather were 22 years apart in age. My aunt & uncle were 20 years apart in age. My sister & her husband are 17 years apart in age. I personally have rarely dated anyone less than 10 years older than me. (it must be a family thing). My first boyfriend, when I was 15, was 23. But now that I'm a parent, I don't think I'd want my daughter at that young age dating someone that much older.

But I agree the older you get, the less it matters. I'm 42. I met a very attractive man the other day that is 63. Would I go out with him if he asked? you bet!

I have just NEVER dated anyone younger than me. I don't know why -- I'm not opposed to it. It has just never happened.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
this kid in this show is 14 and his wife is 42 and i don't care.
I have never dated anyone. But I won't date someone younger than 18.
Or older than about 36. Yeah, 36 is about the maximum...
But it all depends on love... My friend is dating someone who is around 50 and she's 22.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's good for people to be in the same phase of life.

I also think it's more acceptable for an older woman to be with a younger man. I know that's biased, but I find it disgusting for a middle aged man to be with a young woman. I'm not really happy about a middle aged woman with a younger man but I wouldn't call it disgusting or pathetic. (except for when they are middle aged women who have been artificially youngified like Demi and Madonna)

edit: I was really turned off by Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart coming out as an item.

[ February 25, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think that the whole discomfort with older men being involved with younger women is that we have a tendency to be more suspicious of a man's motives to begin with. Then when he's a lot older, it seems like it'd be horribly easy for him to dupe the woman into something, or it seems a lot more likely that he just wants a "trophy."

Demi Moore freaks me out as a person. She's just...yeah, really scary. And didn't she date Colin Farrell, too? [Eek!] Save some pretty boys for the rest of us!

[ February 25, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I think the point was well made by someone already that age difference has different degrees of importance depending upon what age we're talking about.

Sorry FG, but you'd have to use chains to keep me from preventing my 15 year old daughter from dating a 23 year old man. Or my 15 year old son dating a 23 year old woman, for that matter. It might have worked out okay for you, but I know that far more typically, it is exploitive for the 15 year old. The difference between 15 and 23 is *enormous*. Where the difference between 35 and 43 is negligible.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I take a lot of flack for dating someone 4 years younger than me, but as soon as people meet him I never hear another word about it. [Smile]

My point is, it's entirely dependent on individual situation. I wouldn't set a rule saying that all people of a certain age are OK to date. Although it may be a good, general, vague guideline, how many of us choose significant others based on general, vague qualifications?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I once dated a woman nine years my senior. It was the highlight of... well, of my dating career. She was awesome. There wasn't really any long-term relationship potential, though... but we both knew it, and it was okay. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I actually usually don't even think to ask the age of those I'm interested in...I don't know why; it just doesn't seem important to me. I think how old someone _seems_ is a lot more important than how old he _is_.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
unrelated-
I wanna date somebody!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think how old someone _seems_ is a lot more important than how old he _is_.
Amen.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Sorry FG, but you'd have to use chains to keep me from preventing my 15 year old daughter from dating a 23 year old man. Or my 15 year old son dating a 23 year old woman, for that matter
Oh, I totally agree jeniwren! (as I said in my post above). Looking back, I'm amazed that my family allowed it -- but there was some serious stuff going on in my house at that time that made it so that hardly anyone noticed. I would never allow it for my own daughter.

But all I remember is my family kinda saying, "it's okay -- he goes to church" -- like that made everything perfectly acceptable. (yes, this is the guy who got my virginity).

Now that I'm a parent, I don't want my daughter dating until she is 25 !!!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What difference can there be in a romantic relationship?
I'll let you know in a few years. [Big Grin]

Actually, I think age CAN matter most to the friends of the couple. I mean, the couple is just fine building on common interests and making new shared memories, right? Then you get together with their "crowd" and what happens? The older crowd wants to talk about Dewey versus Truman or repealing Prohibition and the younger crowd wants to discuss what a bunch of jerks RIAA are.

It's a culture clash of the friends of the couple!!!

Now, what I think happens is that when nerdy couples get together, the age thing matters a lot less. Why? Because all their friends are interested in Tolkien and who can recite pi to the largest number of significant digits. Timeless stuff like that. So anyone who can talk the talk is included regardless of age, gender or how wrong they are about Frodo being drawn from the Homeric hero archetype.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, age DOES matter for the woman if you want to have babies without using the adoption or theft methods.

But since there are so many babies available for adoption all over the world, even having babies underfo...um, I mean "around" is not such a big deal, IMHO.

I had a baby underfoot once. I prefer slippers.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for me, I'm mostly attracted to older women, and older women are more attracted to me than women my own age or younger. So that fits.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Ditto what pH said. Age is not a question I ever ask; if I find out someone's age, it's usually because they asked for mine.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I'll pick you up at 7:00. Wear your dancing shoes.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had lots of pre-concieved ideas about who I was going to date. Including that the guy would be tall and 4 to 10 years older than me.

I've been with someone for 4+ years now who doesn't fit either category (shorter than me and only 6 months older) and we get along just fine.

Interestingly, when I was 17 I had two guy friends who were 21 in the same calculus class with me. One of them was dating a 28 year old who had a 6 year old daugher and the other was dating a 16 year old.

The then 21 and 28 year old were still together 4 years later. The 16 year old, dumped the 21 year old the next year and broke his heart. It took him about 3 years for him to get over her. He thought she was the girl for the rest of his life, while she was saying she was too young to make that decision, even though her parents loved him.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem with age is that all the girls around me at work and classes and such that I'd like to ask to a movie or something, are old enough that they are already married.

Seriously, all these girls that look 19 and 20, turn out to be 26 and already have 3 kids. I'm sure I flatter them, though, so it's not a waste of my time.

Synth:
quote:

unrelated-
I wanna date somebody!

Me too. Want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and meet me at the movie theater?

::looks for stroller::
::follows Jon Boys advice and looks for a ring::

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*Ryuko*cough*parentheses*cough*
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought for a minute Icarus was giving Ryuko a clandestine hug.

Then I figured it out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

FG, [Smile] no kidding! I think I may lock my kids in a closet when they each turn twelve and let them out when they're 25. It's tempting, anyway.

The whole "but he goes to church" thing doesn't hold much water, does it? [Smile] In my case, my parents let me spend a lot of time with a 28 year old man when I was 15 with the idea "but he has a girlfriend". Didn't make any difference.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of letting my 15-year-old daughter date a guy in his mid-twenties boggles my mind. Do you think it was ... a lack of attention, or else naivete on the part of your parents that they thought it was okay?

My brother got into some trouble as a teenager, and I'm firmly convinced it was a lack of attention that allowed it to happen.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think age matters. My brother's wife is 10 years older than he, and they are perfect for each other. I think age only matters if it matters to the people involved. Things that really matter seem to transcend age.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about money! [Big Grin]

Really, though. I never knew before I got pregnant the first time how many kids I'd have, so close. It's come in pretty handy that my husband was already in his late twenties when I was still a teenager and about to have a baby. We were a little better off, economically.

Also, I get to gross him out by reminding him that when he was going to his senior prom, I was getting the Weekly Reader in elementary school. Muahahaha.

[ February 26, 2004, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Sachiko ]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
The idea of letting my 15-year-old daughter date a guy in his mid-twenties boggles my mind. Do you think it was ... a lack of attention, or else naivete on the part of your parents that they thought it was okay?

Katharina,

It was just a mish-mesh of circumstances that let me slip through the cracks. That year, I wasn't seeing much of my dad because of a conflict between him & my step-mom over his visitation time with me (my parents were divorced). My mom was pretty much not involved in my life (that story is in a previous mom thread). I was raised by my grandparents, and at the time I was 15, my grandmother -- who was the rock in my life -- was going through hell with cancer (she died when I was 18). She spent a lot of time in/out of the hospital and in bed. Although she was the one who said, "he goes to church." I think she really just didn't have the energy to fight about it. And my grandfather was busy taking care of my grandmother.

So I was pretty much on my own and independent (although living at home) at age 14 and up through high school. Did whatever I wanted, and that included dating older men <GRIN>

Farmgirl

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Romeo, Romeo - where for art thou, Romeo? Deny thy . . . blah, blah, blah.

My ex-husband was 18 years my senior. It initially worked fine when dating (since, as I said before I was a wanna-be hippie and he came from the real thing, so we at least had common ground to pretend on) . . . where the problems kicked in (post-marriage) is when he revisited the 50's early childhood memories he had of how women should stay at home tending the children and saying "yes, dear" and "no, dear" . . .

*insert gagging smiley*

I knew it was over the day he said to me (in complete and utter seriousness) "Young lady - you stand still and listen to me this minute." My jaw hit the ground and then I laughed and walked off. Sadly he didn't drop it. He followed after and continued to insist. It was all downhill from there . . .

(Obviously, there's much more to the story than that snippet, but when talking age difference, I felt it apropos. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh Shan...that's just so sad.

Turns out he was role-playing hippie all along too, wasn't he?

Sheesh!

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
4 years and 10 days is my limit, luckily, my relationship is well within those bounds. [Big Grin]

I have to say, there is defaintly some stigma associated with significant age difference (1 year) when you're under 24 (anecdotaly determined number [Smile] ). I do tend to avoid telling people age difference until they sepecfically ask, but even then it seems that if you're a guy and the younger... well it's not like everyone thinks it's just as normal as a knapsack, but the reaction of that compared to the reaction I get when I inform people Annie and I met online (yes, the brilliant Annie above [Cool] ).

Annie, people only stop mentioning it when they meet me because they realize to think someone as perfect as you dating me means you've lost it. [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The cuteness is making me weak...
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Sorry, I'm incapable of mentioning Annie without describing some of her complete perfection. [Smile] Everyone else feel free to skip that part of my response, I still said something relating to this discussion... I hope.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's just as normal as a knapsack
I love that! I think I might start using it.

"So Imogen, how was your day?"

"Oh you know, just as normal as a knapsack."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
But are knapsacks really all that normal?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, for my $0.02. I was involved with a man for 11 years who was 24 years older. We were married for 4 of those years. What blew it away (yup, gotta be predictable) was my biological clock ticking in the same time he was contemplating retirement. My conclusion? It was wonderful for 11 years, because we shared the same goals, values and interests, and a healthy sense of humor about the whole thing.

Ultimately, though, it was a tough lesson for me when the time came to go our separate ways. Biology won out over friendship. And I can't help feeling I did the right thing when I look at my six-year-old who never would have been part of my life if I hadn't left that relationship. (BTW, once again, it's Mrs. DocCoyote posting here tonight)

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wut exactly is a knapsack?

[ February 26, 2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: The Wiggin ]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

It took me a long time to come up with a word that rhymed with "normal" and was actually normal. [Big Grin]

A knapsack is a backpack basically.

Hobbes [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.