FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What age difference can there be in a romantic relationship? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What age difference can there be in a romantic relationship?
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
When you looked for rhyme of normal, did you ever think of formal?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind boggles at your accent if knapsack rhymes with normal for you...
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I used the word rhyme when I meant "starts with the same sound" (a.k.a. alliteration). Interesting...

Talcoon, it had to be a noun. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ February 27, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ideal word for that figure of speech would have to start with an N sound, and be a trochee, like knapsacks. Just like "dead as a doornail".

As normal as narcolepsy?

As normal as ninepins?

As normal as neverland?

As normal as kneepants?

As normal as a notary public?

As normal as nomenclature?
(It helps that nomenclature has th O and M sounds too.)

As normal as a nanny goat?

As normal as newsprint?

Still none of them knock me down. I like knapsacks best. Hobbes has always been brilliant with words.

[ February 27, 2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Blushing]

You're wrong and all, but it's still sweet to say so. [Blushing] [Group Hug]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes is skilled with language, absolutely. One of his many stellar qualities.

Regarding age difference: 20 years apart for my parents, 15 for me & my husband. There are indeed a different set of problems that arise, though. I wouldn't change my situation for the world, but it's worth going into with your eyes open.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Blushing] I still insist that I am not but... [Blushing]

What exactly is the problem with age differences? Is it all because people feel that anyone who is significantly younger must be trapped or tricked or somehow misguided? I'm not saying this belief is always wrong, I'm wondering if that's it or if there's more (minues the reproductivity states/too young to date in the first place arguments).

Hobbes [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes: Mostly, I think that's the case.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the older one is the most innocent, though?
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how much more innocent, probably still wrong, but much harder to tell if such is the case.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
normal as n = 1/sigma*sqr(2pi)*e^-((x-mu)^2/(2sigma^2))
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
by the way, Hobbes is adorable.

Carry on.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
most girls (ladies?) i've been with for relationships were always 26 y.o. mind you at this time I was 20-21 y.o. now I'm almost 24 and prefer about 18-19 y.o. i don't think that's all bad it's close to my age. the only problem is i have better chances of a longer relationship with older women than not. I'm the oldest of three and have always gotten along with adults more than kids my age.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*scratches head*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"most girls (ladies?) i've been with for relationships were always 26 y.o. mind you at this time I was 20-21 y.o. now I'm almost 24 and prefer about 18-19 y.o."

Eek, Stan, at this rate, when you turn 26, your girl of choice will be sixteen or seventeen. (kidding)(I hope)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*stabs age*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandparents on my mother's side married with only a little more than ten years between them; eighteen and around thirty, but there was one, major problem. My grandfather had been to war, and my grandmother hadn't.

The years past, and my grandfather, with all his experiences, realised he had married someone with none. And my grandmother realised she had married someone who was too old and serious for her to be as frivolous as she wanted to be.

I think it depends entirely on the situation...

EDIT: And thinking about it, I'm not sure, as a forty year old woman, I would like to wake up one morning and discover my husband is fifty-five or sixty.

[ May 08, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi,

Well, clearly your name ain't Demi.

[Razz]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to state that my new favorite age for men is twenty-three. [Razz]
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.