FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Hug thread immigration officer

Which "such people" are you sending us, Tom? We need to know how many to expect. Gotta ready all the initiation paraphernalia . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you don't KNOW me!

I am a riddle, inside an enigma, inside a jelly donut.

Squishy, yet inscrutable.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just getting to the point where I don't automatically bow to anyone with a post count over my member number. If only that worked for you oldbies...

As lonk as Bok (rhymes with stoke) is I don't really have a choice. [Wink]

Not sure what --*-- means, though.

Edit: When I found out Ayelar considered herself conservative today, I realized I really don't know much about anything.

[ February 25, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
No-one can leave here until we're all gay!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling quite happy today.

But I'm still not leaving.

[Big Grin]

[ February 25, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh yeah! dana beat me.

[ February 25, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, fine.

**goes gay**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
You can only ask this question because you never join us at Games.com. How can we be ripped apart? Whom would we play Scrabble and Monopoly with?

Ripped apart?!

Come on . . . Hatrack is a giant slumber party!

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
You are so right. [Sleep]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
How about you two join us for a fun game of Little Mafia on the Prairie!
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

I've decided that I'm now going to try and find something that WILL rip Hatrack apart....

My first attempt....

enjoy

Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to point out that this is a typical hatrack "Why can't we get along?" metathread.

[Big Grin]

AJ

[ February 25, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Banna_Oj ]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, what has really got me on this notion that about leaving is that...after reading that essay, I felt very, very unwelcome. And if the host of this forum feels that way about the Left, then I'd rather take that as my cue to exit rather than overstay my welcome.
Heck, mack, I'm a member of the Left, too, and I ain't leaving. [Smile]

quote:
I think Hatrack can take this. In spite of all, I don't think any has left yet.
I agree with Kat.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
*twitch*

Hasselhoff flying . . . multiple Hasslehoffs . . . what is that creepy alien thing? . . .

::leaves Hatrack for good::

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Pat, I did very nearly rupture something. [Angst] [Mad] [Eek!] [Laugh] Oh, and I saw the source of --*--. It all comes clear. So that was David Hasselhoff? I never saw that before. I thought it was as bad as it could get and then he caught the fish in his mouth.
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
<----Newbie

Is this the kiss-and-make up thread? Do I get to smooch?

I like that reading the higher temperature threads makes me examine why I think what I think; I have Hatrack to thank for giving me something new to mutter about in the shower every day.

Although with the really controversial threads, it gets hard to keep up when my kids get sick or something, like last weekend.

I'm glad so many people think differently here, and can post with such clarity and persuasiveness. Yummy brain food! I just love them big words.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
In my early days of the first Hatrack incarnation, I was really involved in the serious debating of issues. Heck, I may have even started the first homosexuality thread (anyone remember "Return to Sodom?" [Big Grin] ). At first I was really offended when people debated my viewpoints. I remember at one point really disliking Tom Davidson.

But it's amazing how much I've learned about the way the world works and what truly loving your neighbor and being a member of a society means. I am really glad to know and call friends people like Tom and Mack and Celia who I may share nothing with politically.

That's the beauty of this place. What is it? ... "We speak with passion, we listen with respect..." [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
First you go gay, and then you provide links from some place called the Hell One T Work? What's happened to you, Pat?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

**goes straight**
pooka
Member # 5003

Sachiko, apparently you have to smooch girls. (I'm assuming you're a girl, if I recall.)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of David Hasselhoff, apparantly he was on an episode of "Whose Line is it Anyway." Now that, I gotta see.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

When was this video made? Is it supposed to be campy or is it authentic camp?
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
What about animals? Can I smooch cats?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've clicked on that link zillions of times (most of them were unintentional, mind you!), but that's the first time I've watched it all the way through.

Bleach, people! I need bleach!

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I predict that all the emotion flying around will propel Hatrack into the fluff portion of its cycle (i.e. walking on political eggshells).

I know I, personally, won't hold a grudge. Growing up LDS and living (and arguing) much of my life as a moral conservative, I can't fault others (even OSC) for their positions.

And I think most of Hatrack is pretty good about disagreeing with the idea rather than the person.

Except for Geoff. I think he genuinely doesn't like me. [Smile]

But that's more likely to get me banned than make me leave voluntarily.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
No one likes you, Eddie. The only difference is that Geoff tells you he doesn't like you in small words so you'll understand.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't you remember that one time you liked me?

Err, wait. I think I remember you saying that it was becoming harder to hate me.

Still. A good start.

But, yeah. You're probably right. I'm pretty oblivious to people not liking me unless they come right out and say it.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
He just did, when he said, "No one likes you, Eddie." He even used small words.

I'm starting to think you have a learning disability.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I for one welcome all this hostility. Hatrack had become so unbearably fluffy.

To summarise: I disagree, jerk.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought of Hatrack as more of an English Pub-styled thing.

You walk in and everyone waves or nods, you order a pint and saunter over to which ever group of folks are talking about something that interests you.

There are a few folks telling jokes at the bar, a couple of blokes competing at the dart board. Over in the corner at a quiet table a few close friends are helping another discuss a tough situation in their life, offering support and advice.

Over near the fireplace or speaker's corner, someone makes a proclaimation on some subject of importance to society. Those gathered around, shout back their approval or hop up to join the debate -- some good naturedly, some with heartfelt concern and belief.

Now and then, the bartenders will annouce it's someone's special day and there's a round of drinks and a bit of singing the old birthday songs.

And then, when your time is over, you grab one for the road and head on your merry way, feeling a bit better, thinking a bit more and knowing you'll come back tomorrow.

(Or you can just read the Callahan's Saloon series and draw your own analogies).

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been here long enough that I don't even read the posts in the serious threads. So long as I know the subject I just scan down and look at people's name's and I can mentally fill in what's been said. It's not like anyone has ever *really* changed their stance. Sometimes I have to stop and read a newbie's opinion and then I merrily carry on. I may stop every 20 posts or so and see if I'm right and I almost invariably am (unless there's some unforseen Hatrack tangent TM). It's just a little game I play.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with you BtL. My opinion on the whole gay marriage situation has been changed based on discussions at Hatrack. Unfortunately, I've been too busy at work to really do much more than read the threads lately.

Although, I still consider it a sin, I have come to the conclusion that the government should keep their nose out of it. I can't say that my mind would have changed on that if it weren't for the discussions here at Hatrack.

That I still consider it a sin is somewhat gray based on posts by dkw, Bob and others.

Please don't say that nobody's mind is ever changed at Hatrack, because they are, even if only occasionally. And even when minds aren't changed, at the very least, people walk away with a new viewpoint on the matter that they didn't have before.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Rip us apart? Naaah, the community is stronger than that. There may be some people who leave for a while, upset at the rancor, but they'll come back; they always do.

Oh, by the way, this is Noemon, posting with my original Hatrack logon so that I can insult Slash, Pat, Tom, and any other 3-digiter with impunity.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The principals rarely (though occasionally) change positions in a given argument (the principals being the ones who keep going back and forth on the issue, such as me [Smile] ). However, people who watch such disagreements are often influenced -- this isn't just on hatrack, this is quite often how it works in real life, as well.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*points finger at #206*

LURKER!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a 3 digit member number I can pull out if necessary!

Anyone wanna trade?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, I just noticed you registered exactly 2000 people after I did, rivka.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I for one thought the 10-page thread was pretty civilized for what it covered. Hatrack has survived much worse.

Sopwith, I like your English pub version of Hatrack. Spot on, chap. *orders a sarasparilla*

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that, fugu. And I understand the value of the discussions and I enjoy (enjoyed?) reading them or I wouldn't have stuck around here as long as I have.
I'm just annoyed at seeing the same people get offended at the same things and say the same offensive things over and over again. The homosexuality threads (for example) seem to be less about homosexuality than about the grudges held between different posters.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

rivka has interesting (numerical) relationships with many Jatraqueros [Wink]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
From the viewpoint of a grandstand sitter, it seems like too often people either intentionally or unintentionally misconstrue what has been posted.

As far as the English pub idea goes, I refuse to drink warm beer.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Much to say.

As one of the people now hopelessly behind in his work because he had to read every single thread, and comment on many, then missed sleep over some of the disucussion, well, thanks.

I got very hot and bothered over these discussions because this is Hatrack.

Because it was Hatrack I felt comfortable letting my feelings flow and my arguments out.

Because it was Hatrack I knew that if they were not worded rudely, my comments would be accepted and debated on their merits, without ridicule unless they deserved it.

Because it was Hatrack I felt the need to try and convince people I respect and think of as friends to agree with me on an issue I believe is morally right.

Thanks for letting me do that.

Oh, and as far as Kissing Animals? Kissing Ravens is not only allowed, its mandatory.

As far as a time when someone disliked Tom Davidson, I think that was early Tuesday.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

[Kiss] Dan.

And to be fair - [Kiss] for the Lady Raven too.

There you go!

[ February 26, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<buys zgator a pint>

quote:
That I still consider it a sin is somewhat gray based on posts by dkw, Bob and others
Z...it's based on you. We all take what we can and internalize what makes sense to us at that point in our lives.

As for me, I will have to admit that my view of what Conservative Christians think about homosexuality has changed dramatically. There are a few who match the stereotype I had assumed was correct. But they are very few and they are not even considered close to right by the other conservative Christians.

So...

I'd have to say that my opinion has changed a lot too.

And I blame people like zgator, Geoff, Belle, and a few others...but mostly Ryan Hart.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I came as close as I ever have to leaving, but on further introspection and a rather sleepless night, I decided that to do so would be cowardly and unproductive.

And there is a small part of me that wanted to post a "Goodbye Forever" type post but those always seem like a plea for people to jump in with "Oh, please don't go" responses. And really, if you have to ask someone if they like you does their answer really mean anything?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
While I may have to take the occasional break for real life insanity (read that as phd related time consumption), I can think of no Hatrack issue that would drive me off.

[Wave]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I'm glad you didn't go Karl.

And I don't really even know you. [Smile]

I think your eloquence adds greatly to Hatrack.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

You don't hang out with liberals, right?

Well, I can think of one reason...

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised on the golden rule. If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything.

OSC-Fan, your last post....

well...

um...

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

WRT misconstruing, I try to apologize whenever I misconstrue someone if it was something that led me to possibly hurtful conclusions, or if its just something minor to at least acknowledge the misconstruement.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.