FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Will disagreements about homosexuality rip Hatrack apart?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Anne Kate is relatively liberal. I'm liberal on some things and not on others. Somehow we never wind up talking about the stuff I'm liberal on.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know something, Karl? While I usually hate those "goodbye, cruel world" posts, I would WANT one from you; if you left, I'd want to know that you were gone and would appreciate a chance to talk you out of it.

I MISS Ralphie, for example, and will always wonder what went on in her real life that's kept her from this place.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The essay is out there and everybody is free to agree with it or not. And I think it was about time somebody said something like that, without being afraid of being politically incorrect.
You should attend Klu Klux Klan meetings, then. They talk like that all the time. You'd feel right at home.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a joke just isn't funny if you have to explain it. Although, perhaps I was being too snide to be funny.

To put it plainly, Ms. Fan, I was hoping you don't hang out with liberals because that would mean that I, being a liberal, would not have to be in your presence and have to suffer your liberal-bashing tripe in person.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I miss Ralphie, too. I'm ashamed that I haven't emailed her directly to tell her so.

I like you a lot, Tom. I'll keep in touch with you privately if I ever do leave. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: [Razz]

Pooka: What issues do you consider yourself liberal on? I've always thought of your as being further right than most people I know, so I'm really curious (and honestly so; my asking isn't meant as a jibe of any kind, or anything of the sort).

KarlEd: I'm with Tom; if you were to leave, I'd want to see a goodbye thread from you.

OSC-fan: I think that you misunderstand; for the vast majority of people who have felt hurt enough by this to consider leaving, it hasn't been OSC's essay itself that prompted us to contemplate abandoning the forum, but the reactions and comments of people we have come to care deeply about. There are some exceptions--mack said that it was the essay that almost drove her off, and years ago it was OSC's essays that drove dean off, but for the most part, the people who have felt hurt over this have felt hurt by the comments of people they think of as friends. All of us here have a certain degree of respect for OSC, but not many of us actually consider him a friend.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The essay is out there and everybody is free to agree with it or not. And I think it was about time somebody said something like that, without being afraid of being politically incorrect.

If this is the first time you've heard someone say 'something like that', then you obviously haven't heard some of Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Falwell, Hal Lindsey, etc. They've been on this train for years. I don't know whether the fact that none of what OSC said is particularly new to me reflects poorly on me, rather than saying anything about you, though. [Frown]

edit: changed for clarity...

[ February 26, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

You don't like those darkies either, do you OSC-Fan?
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you really are dedicated to seeing the other side, aren't you John?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to figure out OSC-fan's age. First I was surprised it was a she instead of a he; and some posts point to a young teen who sees the world in very black & white terms, while others show a little bit of higher thought....

so the jury's still out on this...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I found a brief reference on This Thread but am still not sure. You top me in age? (I'm 42).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just proud to be a relatively low 4-digit poster... um, I mean lurker...

Hatrack's not going anywhere. If it was, it would have done so a long time ago. When I first started posting, I tried moving into the serious discussions, but shied off for a number of reasons. I'm definitely with Sopwith and the Irish pub metaphor.

It's been years since I've last gone into a Serious Thread (for various reasos), and it's the same thing that I saw years go: people who are concerned with their world, who are active, who aren't content to sit around and avoid big questions, who come together and debate. That's the reason I came here in the first place, and that's the reason I'm going to stay.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

quote:
Wow, you really are dedicated to seeing the other side, aren't you John?
And gee, you don't think that applies to you, or any of the other bigots? I know the "other side," as I'm a conservative who normally argues a pretty conservative line. In fact, the only thing that usually has me not following typical conservative rhetoric is the issue of civil rights and liberties. This happens to be such a case.

You see, the conservative outlook—which in this case is heavily influenced by religion—is that something that they consider a lifestyle should not be allowed to enter into what they wish to call a marriage. Further, a conservative is under the mistaken impression that marriage is a term that has some kind of sanctity outside of the law. It is true that someone who holds a religious view of marriage can consider it in accordance to their faith, but that their faith has no bearing on its meaning by law. Because of this mistaken impression, however, the typical conservative view is that marriage is somehow being "attacked," even though all gays want is to be afforded the same privileges and rights as heterosexuals. The typical conservative view is to deny these things—it's always easy to deny others something you already have.

Marriage isn't being attacked by homosexuals. It's being utterly ruined by heterosexuals. The ~50% divorce rate isn't the fault of homosexuals, because heterosexuals are the ones cheating, fighting, and breaking the "sanctity" of marriage in each case. The idea of "my baby momma" and "my baby daddy" isn't something that comes from the homosexual community—it's an idea that marriage isn't necessary to have kids, so why bother? In fact, the only real "attack" on marriage can be percieved by the religious take on it. Guess what: religion has no place in deciding whether a group of people deserve rights or not. And if you don't think the privileges afforded married couples are rights, then don't be hypocrites and offer them freely to homosexual couples.

Just like with the issue of racism, it's easy to claim moral superiority over the issue when you have the advantage and the majority. In fact, when you have those two things, you can keep your perceived "enemy" without the same privileges for a long time and justify it almost any way you please. That type of self-deception only lasts for so long, though, and while it may sound convincing to those who have no problem considering homosexuals second-class in terms of deserving to have privileges, it makes it no less bigoted than the segregationalist laws of the South after the 14th and 15th Amendments.

You (conservatives) say homosexuals are trying to destroy the institution of marriage—white men said black men only wanted equality to take their white women. Both accusations have no proof.

You (conservatives) often say that you might not have a problem with a "civil union" that was not the same as or called marriage—Jim Crow laws allowed blacks to have some of the same rights as whites, as long as those rights were not the same as the rights of whites. Separate but "equal." Uh huh... that doesn't sound different at all. [Roll Eyes]

What boggles my mind is how someone can consider these types of thinking not bigoted. They say the same thing as the racist policies of the past, just using qualifiers that aren't ethnicity based. I understand the opposing arguments, I just don't accept the excuses for why people wish to consider them any different than the racist policies of a hundred years ago.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I left once before, though I never said I'd be gone forever (don't think I did [Confused] ) not necessarily because of issue threads, though there were some, but because I realized I'd let the issue threads spill over into my life as a wife and mother.

Whenever I notice that I'm getting so emotionally involved that it affects the way I act with my kids, I stop posting on that thread. So, that's why I disappear from some. [Smile] If I ever feel like it's getting to be too much of a problem I'll take break from Hatrack again.

On more than one thread recently I've found myself snapping at my children when they asked me something while I was reading and posting. That's why I left the thread about the essay. That's why I didn't even open this one until just now, and I'm pleased to see the responses from people like KarlEd and Ela. mack, if I hang in here, you must too. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'm telling you right now I am deeply offended by your language. Not your ideas, not the expression, but by your continual invective. It shows a lack of insight, it isn't true, and Lalo is NOT the person here you want to emulate.

Knock it off.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
And gee, you don't think that applies to you, or any of the other bigots?
Why exactly am I a bigot? Did you take the time to find out my position on this matter, which is available on many threads on this forum?

No. You applied the label "bigot" to someone who probably agrees with you on the merits of the issue but has taken great pains to understand both sides.

You are the one stifling rational discussion on this matter. Not me.

Dagonee

Edit: I think it would be fair to say, and I think most people who have participated in these discussions over the last few months would agree, that I have a more balanced understanding of the arguments on both sides of this issue than most people on the forum.

[ February 26, 2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with the NRA. I'm not a republican because I think they've sold out. But I'm not a Libertarian. I'm anti-capital punishment. Let's see. I'm getting kind of impatient with supply-side economics. I'm a recoverying MLM junkie. I know most conservatives don't think that has anything to do with them, but most MLMers are conservative. But I am very "Family Values" for want of a better term. I just never saw how guns and the electric chair help the family.

I thought someone said Ralphie was just busy lately, new job or something.

John- OSC fan and you both seem to suffer from a lack of boundaries. These statements belong on different threads, in my opinion.

[ February 26, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Marriage isn't being attacked by homosexuals. It's being utterly ruined by heterosexuals.
I'd have to agree with you there, John.

Not to be unduly light-hearted, but upon seeing the title of this thread, does anyone else always think:

"Yes, I hope so! Then we can finally get to the nice, soft, chewy center."

[ February 26, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Maybe you should look into why you are feeling insulted, Kate. I'm challenging each person who wishes to deny the rights of homosexuals to look at the basis for their decisions on the matter of marriage, and figure out exactly what they feel homosexuals should and should not be allowed to do. If, at any point, you agree that homosexuals should either be intrinsically separated from or simply not have the same amount of rights as heterosexuals, how on Earth can you claim that this is not a completely prejudiced thinking? And if you feel it's okay to legislate this, why is it not okay to call this bigoted? Because it's an accusation that is as equally damning as those who would call homosexuals sinners damned to hell?

I'm not emulating anyone on this matter. It's rather dismissive on your part to assume I am. I'm all about individual rights and liberties, and I made clear what individual rights and liberties are being denied a certain group of individuals. Using slippery slopes like polygamy and incest are not addressing the issue, and opposing slippery slopes (making homosexuality illegal?) would have to apply with just as much validity if you wish to use them.

If you're insulted, I'm sorry. However, the belief that homosexuals should not be allowed the same rights is bigoted, pure and simple. I will not stop believing that.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I think we'd finally managed to move past invective, here. Would you apologize for the "bigot" bit, and move on? Your feeling that this is bigoted is perfectly valid, and no one's asking you to change your mind about it, but I don't think it's at all tactful or constructive to say it.

[ February 26, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have to say that John's and OSC-fan's comments would both be better served in the appropriate threads.

Which is to say, not this one.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

No, I won't apologize. If OSC is allowed to present his honest opinion on the issue openly and vocally, so is everyone else. I stick by the term "bigot" for the exact reasons I gave above, and I'm not going to hide it because someone doesn't like hearing it. I don't like hearing that homosexuals are second-class citizens, but it doesn't stop people from putting forth that in posts.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
But John, and OSC-Fan, you are trying to derail this thread, and force it into the very bitterness and name calling dichotomy that this thread is trying to resolve.

We do not say you are wrong. We are saying you are being impolite. There is a place for your passions and your debate, but this thread is not it.

John, your argument is based on the idea that people should do what they want to do as long as they are not actually infringing on others. Well, I agree, but your argument in this thread is infringing on those who seek to espcape the passions for a bit, or for good.

OSC-Fan, your views are based on the strong religious convictions that include "Do Onto Others As You Would Have Them Do Onto You." That can be translated here to mean, don't add stress to a place people are coming to in order to escape the stress.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

John L,

So you won't even apologize that you applied the term to someone without bothering to find out if the term applied based on your own reasoning? So you're truly not interested in truth, just in scoring cheap rhetorical points wherever you can.

Dagonee

[ February 26, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the actual thread being this full of attacks and angry words, unless it's in page 11, which I haven't read yet. I thought the discussion remained fairly civil despite the essay and the subject matter.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I still think OSC-fan is Lalo in disguise. [Smile]

And for the past month or so, I thought John L was Leto. I'm glad it's not, but have we replaced him with an even less tactful John L? [Razz]

(note: I'm not insinuating that I have any tact, either.)

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
John L on Hatrack IS Leto/GreNME/Wolverine (though all those names were voluntarily deleted).

John L on Ornery is NOT Leto.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I am relatively active in the debates, frankly, I think a good brawl every now and then is healthy, I never thought of leaving, or less of the person for disagreeing.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Heh. Where's the Halo Smilie when you need him?

Sorry, John. But it is bad manners to fight in an "kiss and make up" thread. You missed out on half a dozen threads of people at each others' throats only to whip out your sword after all the fun was over. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, sorry, but you're not active in the debates much at all.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I am around, which seeing as I am grounded I do get into them, but every thursday and tuesday I am doin it.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

quote:
You missed out on half a dozen threads of people at each others' throats only to whip out your sword after all the fun was over. [Big Grin]
I guess I'll have to learn better timing for when to whip it out.
Frisco
Member # 3765

[Blushing]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
years ago it was OSC's essays that drove dean off
Really? That was the reason dean left Hatrack? [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I could be misremembering, but I seem to remember that she said that she'd lost respect for him and didn't really feel comfortable posting here as a result. Anyone remember more details?

I think that dean may be one of the only people who said they were going, and who has stayed away long enough that I believe them. Dean and Bonduca.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That is how I remember it, Noemon. I miss them both.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems a silly reason to leave, frankly. *shrug*
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine the discourse on racial equality ran much like this over the last century. The segregationalists had many "good" reasons for their views and felt insulted to be called bigots. They fervently denied they were discriminating and came up with all kinds of complex legal reasoning to worm around the issue.

But face it, the moment you back down and stop calling them what they are you become a submissive part of the problem.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Really? That was the reason dean left Hatrack?

quote:

Seems a silly reason to leave, frankly. *shrug*

Actually, I've been thinking I should leave for a while now. I've never considered OSC that great of a writer and I seriously dislike most of his War Watch stuff. With this last column, it's pretty clear to me that he is, in a lot of ways, not a good person. At this point, I think it reflects badly on me to associate with OSC. So, I think it's pretty hypcritical of me to be on his site.

I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not OSC is a good person. I'm sure in person he is a swell guy. I just don't get it from his war watch stuff. [Dont Know] It's my personal opinion. I know many of you don't share it. The main reason I stay here is because this side of the forum has nothing to do with OSC. He doesn't post here and I don't have to talk to him. I get a lot from interacting with most of you, as I hope you do with me. Though, I know most of you, or a lot of you, anyway, would not care if I left or stayed. Some of you would say good riddance. [Smile]

The main point of writing this is to, one, add my voice to those on this forum who say that OSC has crossed a line. His latest column is very offensive to me. I think those who were offended by his column on this site have been pretty low key in voicing their disappointment in it and I just wanted to throw my own voice out there in support of those who have made mention of it. Two, I kind of wanted feedback on the way I'm feeling. Is it appropriate that I stay here? Would any of the Mormons on this site continue to post on a site where they were constantly put down and trashed by the site host? Icarus, I don't know what group you feel a kinship with. Would you stay on a site where teachers or hispanics were constantly trashed by the host? I thought your post was a little dismissive and I wanted to point out to you that, to some of us, he is very offensive.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
On more than one thread recently I've found myself snapping at my children when they asked me something while I was reading and posting. That's why I left the thread about the essay. That's why I didn't even open this one until just now, and I'm pleased to see the responses from people like KarlEd and Ela. mack, if I hang in here, you must too.
I am glad you are here, too, Belle, and glad you decided to come back after you took a break for awhile.

KarlEd, you can count me as one who is also glad you decided to stay. I would be very sad if you left.

I, too, miss dean and bonduca. I chatted with dean a few times on AIM after she left, but she doesn't seem to use the screen names I have for her anymore. I am in very sporadic email contact with bonduca.

I didn't know dean left because of OSC's essays. I remember reading a few of the essays when Ornery first went up. I realized right away that I disagreed with a lot of OSC's viewpoints, and some of the essays made me angry, so I just stopped going to Ornery, and stopped reading the essays.

I wouldn't have read this essay, either, if it hadn't been posted at Hatrack. So I guess I agree with Icky that disagreeing with OSC's essays seems like a silly reason to leave. I value my relationships with my fellow Hatrackers too much to let the disagreements about issues and ideas drive me away.

I think, overall, the Hatrackers are an intelligent, well-informed, caring group of individuals. It's true that some people are sometimes less than tactful about what they post, or unwittingly post things that hurt other people. We work things out through our discussion most of the time.

That's why I agree with those who feel that Hatrack will survive this.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of respect for OSC. I like his sense of morallity and the way his characters try to do the right thing even if it's hard.
But I don't always like how he protrays his "bad" guys. Mostly as immature and selfish and not human enough.
It's just that this article really, really hurt. He just sounded so vicious to me and misinformed and I thought of leaving and giving up on his writing since I did not like the Bean books that much or the ones based on Biblical women which were rather cool in a way...
But an opposite way of looking at this is important because it lets you know what you believe and the ideas can clash and widdle each other down until we can finally, finally try to understand things clearly....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Ela, I'm the same way. I almost always disagree with OSC's WarWatch essays, but honestly, I'm not here because of OSC. It was a search for sites about him that led me here, back in '99, but it's because of the people here that I come back, and that Hatrack is the first thing I check after my mail (and occasionally sakeriver) every morning.

Storm, you're a part of this community. I'd miss you if you were to leave, and the fourm would be that much poorer for the lack of your voice. I don't think that dean's reason for leaving was silly, but I do regret very much that she's no longer a part of daily life on this site.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, I don't know that it's hypocritical for you to stay. I also don't agree with his War Watch stuff and I also don't particularly care for his writing style. And yet, this place is pretty much free of both those things. Heck, I don't even know if I'd say that OSC comes up more than, say, George R.R. Martin or Tolkein.
I certainly don't get the impression that the Card's host this forum so a bunch of fans can come and play lip service to him and nod enthusiastically about everything he says. I don't really know why they do host this place, perhaps they like that they've been able to foster this little microcosm, maybe they're only dimly aware of the fact that it exists. Who knows? But I don't think liking Card is a requirement.
Mind you, I never did read the membership agreement.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, dean left not because of OSC's columns, but because of me.

It's true. After I attended the second SoCal picnic, everyone else who went to it left California. They thought that would be enough, but even my presence at the same forum was too much to handle, so dean, moonflower, and eventually OlavMah all left Hatrack permanently. Slash has stuck around, but you'll certainly notice he doesn't participate as much as he used to. I'm also the real reason that his wife has never posted.

The picnic occurred only very shortly after Mooselet was born, so they basically met more the "Uncle Moose" than the "Papa Moose," and Uncle was indeed a far less likeable creature. Mooselet has mellowed me out quite a bit, and since that time, Slash actually said a nice thing about me. Once. I only wish the rest of them could see the change in me, so that they might return.

*sigh*

--Pop

[Edit because of stupid sentence structure.]

[ February 27, 2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Yeah Ela, I'm the same way. I almost always disagree with OSC's WarWatch essays, but honestly, I'm not here because of OSC. It was a search for sites about him that led me here, back in '99, but it's because of the people here that I come back, and that Hatrack is the first thing I check after my mail (and occasionally sakeriver) every morning.
OSC has said in the past that his goal was to create on online community. I would say he has achieved that goal.
lcarus
Member # 4395

That's funny, Pop; I always figured it was my presence on Hatrack that drove all these cool people away. All of these cool people were posting when I arived, and many have since left, so . . . [Dont Know]

-o-

quote:
Icarus, I don't know what group you feel a kinship with. Would you stay on a site where teachers or hispanics were constantly trashed by the host?
Hmm . . .

Well, first of all, I apologize for sounding dismissive.

Where I stand on the issue: I believe homosexuals should have the right to marry any unmarried adult they want to, and have their marriage receive all of the same legal recognition that man-woman marriages receive. I do not think this would devalue marriages or the institution of marriage in the least. But the crux of this current issue is, I think, not where you stand on homosexual marriage, but where you stand on the opposition to it. I was uncomfortable with it when Bob first stated that people who opposed gay unions were bigots, but I had a hard time coming up with a reason why he was wrong. I think reading the posts of Belle and others here has finally helped me formulate why I believe Bob was wrong on that count.*

If you believe that homosexual sex is sinful but still think that they should still have marriage rights, then I don't have any issue with that. I can respect that people tend to agree with their religion. I thought the "homophobia" charges that were leveled against OSC years ago were ridiculous. If you believe that homosexials should not be allowed to marry people of the same gender, that was something I was having a harder time with. First of all, I think that many people on that side of the issue are losing sight of the separation of Church and State, and the fact that we should not legislate against actions when no nonreligious reason can be found to do so. I'm coming to understand, though, that those opposed to legalizing gay marriage don't see it the way I do. They don't see marriage to the person you love as a right, and so they don't see the denial of that privilege as an infringement of that right. If I'm oversimplifying, I apologize, but it's impossible to empathize too perfectly with a view I don't hold. This argument doesn't sway me, because I still don't see the why of it, but it helps me see that the people who I know and love and respect on the other side of this issue are not bigoted or evil. Just wrong. [Razz]

I can see why people found OSC's essay offensive: he doesn't extend to those who disagree with him the recognition that they disagree not because they are evil or his enemies, but because they have analyzed the situation and come to a different conclusion. Many (most?) of his recent columns are filled with rhetoric about the "liberal elite" which paints them as monsters who hate God and families. And I can understand it . . . there truly have been abuses on that side of the political spectrum. Heck, I went to college. [Wink] There are hateful aberrations on both sides of the political spectrum. But most if not all of the people I know are not trying to destroy families or religion, nor are they trying to step on poor people and take away everyone's freedoms. And since the only evidence I can possibly have about the population at large is my own small sample, I believe that this holds for most people in the world. Most people want, with their beliefs if not their actions, to make the world a better place. Seeing enemies where there are simply people who disagree makes it easy to unconsciously turn up the rhetoric to the point where it becomes offensive, and I think OSC has gotten to this point.

It makes me sad that saying this will possibly move me into the perceived enemy camp, because I think highly of OSC, I agree with some of his beliefs, and I don't see myself as his enemy or him as mine.

None of which answers your question, so let's try again . . .

When I joined Hatrack, I know that OSC was socially more conservative than I am, but I did not consider him rabidly so. Heck, I had also heard and read him say uncomplimentary things about teachers, but I didn't perceive them as a direct insult. If he was rabidly anti-teacher or anti-latino, I likely never would have joined in the first place. But now that I have joined, I don't see this as the OSC fan club. I see this as a community of people, many of whom I have a great deal of respect and affection for. If OSC suddenly started publishing essays rabidly prejudiced against Latinos, I don't think I would leave. Because, heck, he doesn't post here and my presence here doesn't give him anything. Maybe as a member of the community I could effectively argue against such essays. But now, I'm here for the people who are here and for the conversations we have.

I don't post as much as I used to, and I feel less well-known now than I was a year or so ago, but I still enjoy this forum a lot. Leaving it over a political disagreement with the guy who owns it seems rather like cutting off my nose to spite my face.

And, for what it's worth, I personally would miss you if you left. And I think I've expressed to you before that I value your presence here. I consider you to be the perfect debater . . . when I disagree with you, I find that you listen to what I say, and treat me with every courtesy.

-o-

*And this is what Hatrack is all about. Every once in a while, somebody says, "What's the point? Nobody ever changes their mind?" I don't enter these discussions to change people's minds (how presumptious of me if I did!) Clearly, I don't come here to have my own mind changed either. I enter these discussions to better understand those who disagree with me. Since I am, of course, always right, I am baffled when somebody fails to see the logic in everything I say. So, when somebody doesn't see things that way, my first instinct is, naturally, that they are idiots or evil people. But I am always astonished by how many people turn out to be idiots or evil people. So I engage in these discussions to better understand those who disagree with me, because it is unreasonable to think that so many people are idiots or evil. I challenge their beliefs as a way of probing, and understanding. Not because I believe that I can put my thoughts in such a way that they will say, "You know, you're right Joe. I don't know why I didn't see it that way before. From now on, I will favor legalization of homosexual marriages." Rather, I am makig the objections that make me believe as I do, to understand how they deal with them. As an added benefit, I get questioned and challenged too, and find that, while I might not make drastic changes in my beliefs--that was never a goal, remember?--I do refine some points I had never thought out before. I guess dialogue softens the edges.

For instance, while I still would not leave this forum over something OSC said, I can better understand those who would, now.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we have a Catfight thread for people who wanted to be snarky? John L should probably find his way there. Calling people names, whether true labels or not, belongs in a Catfight thread! [Razz]

I love Hatrack because it is the most civilized place I know. [Group Hug]

[ February 27, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Icarus, Noemon, and BtL thank you so much for your replies. [Smile]

Icarus, I thank you in particular for your perspective on this. You always say things so clearly and lucidly. Someday I'm going to grow up to be just like you. [Smile]

lcarus
Member # 4395

[Blushing]

Aw, shucks!

Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Too much of the arguing here seems like fruitless sound and fury. Let other people spar endlessly to no avail. Go become better at something rather than stagnating.

Struggling with one-trick ponies is only useful only as far as acquiring some idea of what their intellectual framework is supposed to look like. After that, the argument that you are arguing simply to present a differing opinion will only go so far.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.