FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Can See God’s Sense of Humor All Over This (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I Can See God’s Sense of Humor All Over This
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Careful what you claim out loud Richard. God's in a funny mood this week. You're just asking for trouble.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, dkw!

So does this mean God's into reverse psychology?

/msg God Um, you know, I really could do without a bigger paycheck. I really, really, REALLY don't want it. [Wink] [Wink]

[ March 02, 2004, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
God is laughing WITH DA GOAT.

Actually, I think God's sense of humor is always in our favor. Whether we recognize it or not. It's just that he likes to remind us of how little our sense of control really means. On the one hand, that's kind of scary -- especially for control freaks, or people who believe they are the masters of their own destiny...you know.

But he's not like the ancient Olympians...just screwing around with our lives. I think the humor is like "oh...so you hate the Midwest...well, here ya go...you're moving next week." That kind of thing.

I find that I get to experience a whole new adventure when these things happen to me. But I've learned not to sweat it. Just laugh along with Him and hope he doesn't forget that I'm still kind of insecure and in need of a bit of a helping hand whenever I'm adjusting to whatever He's done for me this time.

So, no, I don't think reverse Psychology is what it's all about.

Sorry.

Hope you get the raise.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Bob.

I love this thread. [Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Bob! I’m guessing from your post that you’re in the same giggly, ‘I feel like I’m back in Jr. High’ state that I’m in. Shall we commiserate?

I feel like I’m walking around looking like ---> [Big Grin] My friends have started to say, “Why are you . . .Oh. Never mind. I know why you’re smiling.” Sarah is about ready to toss me into a snowbank. I’m going to tell her husband that he needs to do something mushy and romantic, ‘cause she’s getting jealous. [Wink]

Was it kat who said that her litmus test for friends is whether or not they’d make good Hatrackers? This guy would be a great Hatracker – he’s smart and funny and likes to discuss stuff . . . maybe you’ll all get to meet him at the whatever we're calling it Con in Chicago!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd just like to announce that dkw has inspired me to start dating as well
Well, Bob, not to be a spoilsport or anything -- but haven't you been divorced LESS than a year? [Wink] I mean, just because dkw starts dating (she's been single a long time, ya know, and is very secure in herself; knows she doesn't NEED a man) doesn't mean you should jump in the fire as well.

(I think that's what they told me when I got divorced -- "don't date or make any major decisions within the first year when you are emotional." Of course, it has been 13 years now, and I still practice that -- except for the decision part).

Other than that - you can totally ignore me and go do whatever you want because you are a grown man and totally capable of making these hard decisions on your own! [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

[ March 02, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bob and Dana are just dropping subtle hints that they've started dating. [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But he's not like the ancient Olympians...just screwing around with our lives. I think the humor is like "oh...so you hate the Midwest...well, here ya go...you're moving next week." That kind of thing.

Now we know Bob's real feelings on Texas...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
lol @ Tom! [Big Grin]

er, not that Dana would not like Bob . . . or that Bob would not like Dana . . or . . . er . . . nevermind [Embarrassed]

[ March 02, 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob,

I've been thinking about this whole cosmic sense of humor thing...

Considering how you've been closing in on TomD's post count lately, and how much you obsess about it...

Have you thought about what dating and a regular social/romantic life could do to your posting rate? [Wink]

I have a hunch, though, if you're having any fun at all, you'll be a lot less concerned with your post count and just shrug as TomD pulls farther and farther ahead of you. [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I know that I'M in the clear.

...so far.

Can I use reverse psychology on God? He's been messing with me for so long that I need a break.

*polite cough skyward*

Anytime now.

*waits*

[ March 02, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be spring.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Tom, subtle hints? I thought we both stated quite clearly that we’ve started dating!

Oh wait. You meant dating each other. Never mind, then. [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk of cosmic humor has me itching to re-read Cat's Cradle. It's definitive guide to this whole topic.

Or as my favorite quote from the book goes: "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god."

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Tom,I'm too giddy with anticipation to respond as you deserve.

Farmgirl...you know I thought about that a lot. And it did have me a little bit concerned. But fact is, I've known this woman for awhile and we've become great friends. It just feels right. I can't explain on any intellectual level that I would even credit, so I don't expect anyone else to, but it's like this:

As soon as I decided to ask her out, I felt like it was something I should've done a long time ago. The time we spent not dating each other now seems wasted and I can't get it back!

So, I guess that answers dkw's question. I have gone completely off the deep end about this. As I told my friend -- it feels like that first love feeling. It's something I thought you only get once in life, and here it is. Making me crazy.

Jeez, I shouldn't be writing this on Hatrack. I don't care if SHE sees it (should she ever happen onto this website) because I've already told her. But you all must think I've just gone nuts.

My biggest fear isn't how I feel, though, but that I'll be so wrapped up in this feeling that I'll just scare her or something. I mean, we're both supposedly mature people. What if she REALLY IS mature and looks at this dopey behavior on my part and starts to wonder about my mental state?

But so far, she seems just as unhinged, if I can use that word. She was thinking about me and wondering when the heck I was going to get around to asking... So she's pretty pleased that I finally did.

Look, there's nothing more insufferable than people talking about how in love they are...so I'll try not to bore you all. But there is this:

I had set myself a goal of waiting a full year after the divorce. I did that because, having been through it before, I knew that it had taken me about that long last time to feel non-toxic again. By toxic, I mean that thoughts of betrayal and disappointment would intrude on every conversation, but especially when talking to another woman.

But this time through is much different than last time. First, I wasn't as shocked since I saw it coming and had made my peace with it. So, in effect, I passed through part of the grieving process over the past 2 years. I think Icarus and Cor can attest to this.

The other thing is that I AM mature. I do know my own heart. I've been with it for a long time. And that certainty I felt when I finally decided to ask her out hasn't abated. In fact, it sort of shot up exponentially when I talked to her.

But Farmgirl, I know exactly what you mean. It IS fast. I don't want to slow things down. I don't think I will slow things down. But if I thought I was running the risk of hurting her, I would in a heart beat. I couldn't ever love myself again if I hurt her.

(does that sound sappy?) I could be going overboard, I suppose...but what does one do when things feel this good...and this RIGHT? If you don't take a chance in this kind of situation, when would you? When you're less certain?

I would certainly be more circumspect if it wasn't for the fact that she is feeling the same way. I swear it's like someone slipped something into the TX water supply.

dkw -- I like that word twitterpated. I was going with "smitten" but that sounds so 19th century and inadequte. Quoting Bambi seems far closer to the mark.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
What if she REALLY IS mature and looks at this dopey behavior on my part and starts to wonder about my mental state?

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that part, at least, Bob. Women love making men feel dopey.

I mean, it's a power trip and all to have that effect on a man!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Power trip! [Eek!]

You know, I always distrusted this feeling for exactly that reason, that it was like those dumb romantic movies where the dopey guy chases the girl through a field for no good reason. Oh wait, there was the sex when he finally caught her (usually just implied sex of course). But anyway, I saw that movie and didn't want to live it -- be that dopey guy.

But in this case, I'm actually certain that this isn't just some feminine wile or deliberate tactic on her part. I mean, the woman waited and didn't even HINT that she was thinking of me as dating material. And it wasn't out of pride or anything. She didn't want to push me into something I wasn't ready for.

Actually, I'll have to admit, we have had some serious discussions in the midst of all this addle-brained romance. So, I shouldn't paint such a gauzy-lensed picture of things.

We had to overcome some serious barriers to our dating, not the least of which was my concern over the recency of my divorce.

Heck, FG, I don't even flirt for fear of hurting someone.

But still, I do see your point.

If you knew her, I think you'd agree that her capacity for playing games is completely benign. She plays games, but not with people's affections. By games...I mean that she has fun with life and doesn't have to be serious or goal-oriented all the time.

Anyway, I trust her implicitly. I guess I could see how from the outside one might question that, but I think that anyone who knows her would agree that she's a straight-forward, honest person who isn't really into power trips.

I guess I should shut up before someone demands I write an ode...

[Big Grin]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Bob,

I suspect I speak for at least a few of us when I say:

"Well, so when do we see the ode?"

(Everyone who wants Bob to write an ode raise their hands)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think FG was using power trip far more lightheartedly than you took it.

Of course, I can see you wanting excuses to talk about her too...

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

blacwolve...oops. Sorry FG!!! I thought you were dissing my Dulcinea, you know! <errant knight in rusting armor to the rescue!>

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

An ode to new love:

I wasn't always this far gone
it happened when you came along
I wasn't happy, that much's true
But now I'm just a sap for you.

What is this love that doesn't fade?
The dew, a rose, and morning's shade?
A shooting star? A rocket's glare?
Some phallically symbolic snare?

I wrote this ode to prove the point
That my whole mind is out of joint
I hope you'll let our true love grow:
When you decide, you let me know.

Until then I'll just pine and whimper
Like some dog who has distemper.
I'll be your slave, your someone who
You nightly scrape off of your shoe.

My soul is yours
My wit is thine
I wrote this ode
in record time.

[Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

psst -- blacwolve! Raise your hand.

::raises hand::

I'm enjoying knowing I'm not the only one on the forum who's gone all jello-brained.

[Big Grin]

Edit: timing, the secret of comedy. No wonder Bob's so funny.

[ March 02, 2004, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Bob!

Hmmm. Looking over description of DKW's guy--including "Would make a great Hatracker" and "Funny and likes to discuss stuff."

Looking at Bob's description of his new love.

Didn't Bob and Dana recently meet at Dana's with a group not long ago? Say, 2/20th or there abouts.

Dana's rule of 100 miles away.

Bob, living in Texas, far more than 100 miles from Dana.

This is better than any Guess the Author Thread.

Dana and Bob, sittin in a tree....

And I'll keep singing that until one of you produces a sweety that is not the other one.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Not to mention DKW's clue, the title, "God's sense of humor all over this." We all know Bob is God's sense of humor.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Sorry, there is a false assumption in your reasoning.

Bob did not attend the Midwest Hatrack gathering.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan, your theory is dented by the ugly fact that I did not go to dkw's Hatrack gathering. I phoned in, but I wasn't there.

Look at the pictures. I'm the phone being passed around. Christy is fondling me in one shot. [Big Grin]

I got to lie on the bed with a bevy of beautiful ladies though.

[Big Grin]

<edit>

Hah! Psych again!

Actually dkw is posting when I post because she's afraid to call me on the phone. She's seen where that phone has been!

[ March 02, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Sooooo?????

I write an ode and nobody comments? What gives?

I thought you all would like it more than this.

[Razz]

[ March 02, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Some phallically symbolic snare?

[ROFL] Oh my gosh!

Farmgirl

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I notice you both fault my chain of logic, but do not deny my conclusion.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks Farmgirl.
[Big Grin]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

You both reminded me to add rule #17 to my rules of life. "At least once in your life, everyone should fall headlessly, giddilly, stupidly silly, sacharinly sweet and gooey in love."
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Nice rule, Dan!

I've never had that happen to me unfortunately......at least not that I remember...
[Cry]
Farmgirl

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dan,

I think what we said was sufficient.

I didn't want to make Dana feel like I think of her as non-dating material. Nothing could be further from the truth...

But you yourself noted that I'm well over 100 miles away...

Must I come right out and issue a denial, or will you retract your challenge?

Dang, this really is getting to be like Junior High!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

(((Farmgirl)))

I predict it will happen.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Oh come'on Dan!

THINK about what you are implying.

A good Christian, wholesome moral woman like dkw;

matching up with a....a....uh...

well, with a religiously floundering, jokester like Bob?

Really! What were you thinking?

Farmgirl

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Farmgirl, don't cry. Since it hasn't happened yet, that means you have something great to look foward too.

It didn't happen to my wifes grandmother until she was in her 70's.

Bob--No. I won't retract my challenge, because I'm using it to get either of you to introduce us to your new friends. We have to make sure they are good enough for you.

YOu can tell them we approve, but if they hurt either of you, we will hunt them down and burninate all over them.

And this isn't anything like JR High. Say that again and you'll just have to meet me outside after the bell rings. Shh, I'm late for Gym class.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It does my heart good to see dkw and Bob -- two of the most grounded people I know -- so twitterpated. (Bob, that ode was simply [ROFL] !)

Gives me hope. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I just talked to Bob and we've decided:

5 points for Dan Raven.

Tom would have got them if he'd left that stupid "j/k [Wink] " off his post.

[Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I'll just add my thanks to Farmgirl and Icarus for helping us keep this going. They guessed immediately but in private.

quote:
I didn't want to make Dana feel like I think of her as non-dating material. Nothing could be further from the truth...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

*weakly* We really need a jaw-drop smiley.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want you two to know that I was absolutely certain, but didn't want to actually MAKE you deny it. [Smile] I was prodding, but not actually poking. In fact, I debated some time about including the "j/k," because it wasn't exactly honest, but left it in because, if pressed, I could point out that they weren't very subtle hints at all. *grin*

[ March 02, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Sitting here, reading this, stunned. Grinning.

[Big Grin]

Feeling life is a little cooler today.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

rivka, that'd be a good one to add. I know I would get a lot of use out of it.

[Big Grin]

Dana: [Kiss]

I'm off to [Sleep] . It's been a very tiring meeting and Dana's free cell phone minutes don't kick in until past 10:00 pm here.

And we can't seem to hang up the phone.

"no, you hang up."
"no, you hang up."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Feeling life is a little cooler today.
Yeah...that's how I feel too. Thanks!!!

Tom, what the heck, you get 5 points too!

[ March 02, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, though, darnit, Bob's likely to pass me even FASTER now that he's fallen for a regular. [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Tom, I may pass you, but I will never surpass you.

[Hail] Tom

sndrake
Member # 4941

Tom,

that's the second thing that hit me.

I think your post count supremacy is going to be history.

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Seriously? Wow!

Wow!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Now that I'm (somewhat) over my shock, I do recall that when I met dkw a few months back, and she mentioned a recent time she had gotten together with Bob, I had a fleeting thought . . .

. . . which I dismissed. Oops. [Wink]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Awww....

You mean the game's all over? And I was having such fun with the secret!

To me it was SO transparent -- I am surprised it took some of you so LONG...since you've known them so much longer than I.

Farmgirl

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

It couldn't happen to two people who deserver it more.

Wether thats a good thing or a bad thing I'll leave up to you.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.