FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Can See God’s Sense of Humor All Over This (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I Can See God’s Sense of Humor All Over This
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You just WISH you knew what I was doing.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you need to run -- run, not walk -- to the nearest place to illegally download some Tom Lehrer. Lehrer, along with Douglas Adams and Monty Python and D&D, is one of the major touchstones of geek culture.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are legal places too. Linky

Or you could buy the CDs. I think mack will especially like "The Vatican Rag." [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Is this serious? No wait, is this really really serious? I'm so effing confused. I mean, Bob and Dana? BOB AND DANA??? If this is true, that's SO COOL...

Are we joking? I'm confused! SO CONFUSED!!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

(just reread page two) AHHHH!!!! AHHHHHH! AHHHHHH!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] !!!

OK.... My roommate and my friend from down the hall were around when I started freaking out about this whole thing, and they got it on film. I would have gotten it if I'd have read page one of the stupid thread all the way through!!! Now they think I'm a weird freak! [Cry]

I'mna send the clip to foobonic...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They just figured that out NOW?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm at a loss for words to describe the supreme coolness.

If this God fellow exists, I've got to hand it to Him... this is an absolutely magnificent twist of fate he has engineered here.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
So I was talking to aka on IM:

quote:
BannaOj: oh my isn't dkw-Bob_S cool!!!
theropeofallah: they aren't dating each other?
theropeofallah: they're each dating other people, no?
BannaOj: oh dear... read the thread
BannaOj: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=021904;p=2
theropeofallah: i have been reading it
theropeofallah: they aren't talking about each other!
BannaOj: keep reading down
BannaOj: the old tricksters
theropeofallah: good grief!
BannaOj: ROTFL!!

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, you have no idea. And God is laughing in many more ways that we're just finding out about. We'll probably share more on that as we figure it out ourselves.

But suffice it to say that our faces are cramping up from smiling so much.

Also, I have to just say thank you to whoever invented unlimited nights & weekends on cell phone minutes. Dana has that now and I think I'll go get a phone with that plan because my corporate phone (900 minutes per month) is sort of going to get maxed out if I'm not careful, and the overage is hugely expensive.

Free roaming is good though.

You know, this country is very large through the midsection. I never realized how fat it is. Iowa is a frequin' long way away. I'd like someone to get to work on that.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

conspiracy of cartographers.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and Dana, I'm so, so happy for you both. [Smile]

Now, if I can just get Tom to post pictures of himself in a little sailor suit, my life at Hatrack will be complete.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You mean you didn't see them?
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to ask mack (in AIM) if what I read in this thread was for real. I mean, sometimes I just don't get practical jokes. *grin*

YAY! Bob_Scopatz and dkw! Bob and Dana! No pressure, though.

(yay)

I am a little scared by the implications of an 'uber-jatraquero' combination (tm someone upthread).

Jinkies.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Bob and Dana. Very cool. Congratulations.

**burninates the happy couple**

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*grins like an idiot*

I saw the Hatrack love thread FIRST and was like "WHAT??" So I started going down the front page link by link to try to figure out when THIS earth-rattling news was announced. [Smile] I found it!!

Congrats you two. I respect you both so much that this news just couldn't be any better!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ March 03, 2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Wow. [Big Grin]

Big grins all around for this.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
(reading page 2 of thread at work, but won't wait with posting until I finish)

I was just asked by a boy opposite me, why on earth am I sitting there all excited and thrilled and smiling like an idiot. It was difficult to explain.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

[Big Grin] I read the Hatrack Lover's thread first too. But I had read the beginning of this thread... I stopped reading just before one of the posts that would have ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED me that it was for truly really real. [Big Grin] The one where the ice cream shop with me me me was mentioned.

YAYS! I'll have my friend send me that video ASAP, and if I can't get it on foobonic, I'll somehow send it to one of you guys. It's priceless. [Smile]

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! This is what I get for not reading this forum for a day. I missed this. [Eek!]

Congrats to Bob_Scopatz and dkw. You two make another lovely pair for Hatrack.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?

Congrats!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
(with apologies to Sondheim)

So much happiness
Starting with a glance at Hatrack,
So much happiness,
So much love!

Congratulations!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

This is what happens when you don't read every page of every thread as it happens.

Congratulations you two!

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't read this thread since my post on the first page so this bit of news managed to sail right past me.

Dana, I love your choice of thread title. Respect++

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't think of two more deserving people in the world to have such happiness fall upon! Congratulations and a long and winding road ahead of you! Enjoy every last minute of it! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yay!

Narnia, I did the same thing as you, only when I looked at this thread I only made it partly through the second page (not far enough [Wink] ), and I decided everyone was joking. Today I finally decided to get to the bottom of it. [Big Grin]

So Bob, have you done an ice-cream personality compatability thing with the two of you? [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was The Day for the Hatrack Refresh Button Pressing to pay off.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

<-can't talk

<-way too excited

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh my stars, I was just thinking about all the little things that we should have noticed, like dkw pushing Bob's landmark thread, and Bob's comments about his weekends being busy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I guess I'm one of the few persons around here not having to be emb [Embarrassed] rr [Embarrassed] ssed for not guessing this, as I don't really know all the details neither about dkw, nor about Bob... [Razz]

Anyway, congratulations to the both of you, and thanks for the nice game you played for us in this thread !

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it kat, that landmark thread was before he asked me out. Now he’s going to know I liked him!

Huh, this *is* kind of like Junior High.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
So if I understand what you're saying, dkw, we should go back through all the threads in which both you and Bob make an appearance and look for hints, shaded meanings, sub-texts, etc.

I bet you that some enterprising jatraqeuro/a [not me -- I'm just the idea man -- let others do the detail work] could even reconstruct a timeline of attraction and affection.

See this is the danger of relationships that form via Hatrack -- all of sudden your postings take on new meaning.

It's like Kafka and his precursors.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Actually, I remember wondering whether dkw and Bob_Scopatz were together when I first got that email that asked whether I wanted to meet with them. I was like... Hmmm... What the heck? I thought Bob was divorc- Oh. Hmmmm..... [Big Grin]

Eheheheh. I was just hoping for this to happen for a while, personally. [Smile]

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love this thread. It makes me grin like an idiot every time I see it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* CT and I were bubbling all morning about this! Congratulations! Its so wonderful to see two people that I like and respect so much happy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

Wow!

That is just fantastic. I mean...

Wow.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
One funny thing...the letter to Dana in which I asked her out for the first time was actually sitting in her P.O. Box while you all were up there for the Midwest Gathering. I was too afraid to ask if she'd received it yet, then dying because she didn't say "yes" or "no" or even give a hint that she had seen it.

So, I called her and blew the whole surprise of the letter by asking her out over the phone. And warning her that the letter might make her want to say "no!" just because of how bad a letter it was.

That she actually went out in the freezing cold to the Post Office to get the silly thing (3 miles uphill both ways in a driving blizzard) (hey, a guy can dream, can't he?) and STILL said yes just amazed me. [Big Grin]

No offense to all you other lucky guys out there, but I think I may be the luckiest guy on the planet.

Ryuko, I've liked Dana since the first post I read of hers here on Hatrack. But meeting her was strictly platonic even after the divorce. I was serious when I said I wasn't going to date for a year after the divorce because of what that kind of thing does to one's ability to behave properly towards others, especially romantically. But a funny thing happened. I finally decided that I was ready to start dating and I kept thinking about Dana whenever that thought came into my head. I purposefully tried to think of someone else, even, and it just wouldn't stick. I couldn't think of actually dating anyone else and feel like I wasn't just wasting time I should be spending with Dana.

So,...I asked her.

She foolishly accepted.

And now it's public. I've got witnesses.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
So,...I asked her.

She foolishly accepted.

Okay, I read this part of the post first. Guess what I was thinking...
dkw
Member # 3264

It’s a good story, Bob, but you forgot one thing. Some of these guys have been to Radcliffe, and they know the whole town is only six blocks long. Three miles in a blizzard indeed! [Wink]

It was a wonderful letter, btw.

[ March 03, 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
No, kat. That's a Mormon relationship timeline. Real people don't do that sort of thing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
See... I had an inside track on the intuition of knowing they were talking about each other...

...because I remember seeing the light-up on Dana's face when Bob called the Iowa gathering. If the rest of you weren't paying attention -- well, that's your fault! Even if he hadn't asked her out yet, it was very obvious she felt something for him!

<GRIN>

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHWowowowie!

This is so good.
This is really, really good.

You guys deserve each other, oh man, this is soooo great.

*there's no smiley this big, but [Big Grin] x 100 comes close

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go!
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay, six blocks after dark wearing flip flops. You had to wait for the light to change, right?

Still, it's a heavy sacrifice nonetheless.

Thanks for the smilies. We expected more of these [Eek!] than these [Big Grin]

and kat...things are out of sequence enough...please read the posts in order!!! [Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

You think we have traffic lights in this town?!?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay, this town basically has slush and no traffic control devices. Sounds like a traffic safety guy's dream come true! I could install lighting, crosswalks, etc.

Are the streets paved? If not, we could get Zgator to come up and test the soil for you.

[Kiss]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I just went back and re-read page one of this thread.

First, I'd like to re-iterate that Bob and dkw are [Evil Laugh] hint-droppers.

Was the choice of leap-day (for dkw's original post) deliberate?

And then there was this . . .
quote:
Rivka, I’m not sure what’s in order. I’m feeling a little bit dazed. Ask me in a month or so.

*marks March 29th on the calendar*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Chuckles and offers hugs to both lucky souls!

Yeah!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Rivka... [Big Grin] I think maybe March 29th would be about right...don't go anywhere that weekend. We'll probably at least post about our date.

And by the way, Annie, you made two really nice posts in this thread and neither of us acknowledged them publicly. Thank you so much!!!

[Hat]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.