FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun smackdown (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pun smackdown
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's topic: evolution puns.

Between now and midnight Sunday, we will pun about the origin and descent with modification of species.

Prizes will be awarded for:
- most original
- most obscure
- funniest
- biggest groaner

and whatever else we can think of to make everyone feel good about participating.

And I'll kick it off with a little song:

♪Oh...there's a genome
where Drosophila roams
Where the genes and mutations all play...♫

♪Where seldom you'll feel
The recessive allele,
but the flies
have white eyes
anyway♫

♪Clones, clones in the lab...♫

Well, I think I've crossed a boundary here. Of course, it could just be that church just let out, which would be kind of a mass extinction. So, you think this is dumb? Well I'd like to see you genus' come up with anything better!

And now...go!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'm kind of divided on repeating yourself. Unless you're making a pun about self-replication, no cloning.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to refer to the clogged roads near the Catholic Church on Sundays as the Mass Exodus. We thought we were so funny.

I don't have any evolution puns. Sorry.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mass Exodus! LOL. I'm going to remember that one.

I don't know, Kayla, I've always thought you had a sabre-toothed wit.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being a genus, I am convergent in the basics of the theory, with a descent understanding of the vocabulary. Consequently, I am well equipped to counter the species arguments of the haploid idiots.

That reminds me of a story. A man walks into a bar, clade only in a pair of genes.
The bartender says, “Hey phyla, eustele trying to coelom in here without a shirt?”

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Bob, you know, the sad thing isn't that I had to explain that to my 13-year-old son, but that I had to explain it to my husband, living proof that Darwin was wrong.

[ April 02, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Actually, Kayla, it's just that some of us are more evolved than others. [Wink]

I think everyone is misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. Amino, what you can't just type a mutated word. You must recombine words to form new varieties. Try being specific too.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

You're going to have to explain further - I don't get what you're saying.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Dag, this isn't about evolution, but here is an example of a whole lot of puns.

quote:
The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast-infection and complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. [pun]The gravesite was piled high with flours[/pun]. Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was [pun] kneaded[/pun].
Doughboy [pun]rose quickly[/pun] in show business, but his later life was filled with
[pun]turnovers[/pun]. (You get the idea.)
He was not considered a very 'smart' cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times he still, as a crusty old man, was considered a roll model for millions. Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough; two children, John Dough and Jane Dough; plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly father!

[ April 02, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, I know what a pun is. I'm just wondering why the one's in my first post wouldn't qualify - am I missing one of the rules of this particular pun-off?
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
bob,

I don't see too many puns here. Can I write a poem, assuming I could compose one?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dag!!! I LOVED your first post.

I was just punning!!!!

"Amino..."

"mutated"

"recombine"

"specific"

...um...sorry...

fallow
Member # 6268

*good stuff*

All the puns I can think of are a little out-there. morbid.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Extincts in here. I'm putting my codon and going outside.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

polymErases and get's the hell oughta Dodge.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
e?q,u.i'li!b:ri;um.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

equatubrium. The "fallacy of the fat horses aligned in a row"
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I have an iron-clade argument against everything you've said here. I do have to say, though, that fallow and Dagonee are a base pair of posters.

[Razz]

AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to think that those of us with more evolved sensibilities would stop acting like apes and believing in such primordial theories, but alas, creationism is still treated as if it is at the bottom of the slime pool containing the speculations on man's rise.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, Bob, I couldn't tell - it was late, there'd been a little wine, the rest of the sordid details write themselves...
fallow
Member # 6268

Don't think it qualifies as a pun exactly, but it was darn funny and I'll try to buy some time with it while I think of evolution puns.

I was describing my research (on proteins associated with neurodegenerative diseases like alzheimer's, BSE, cruetzfeld-jakob, etc) to a friend and commented that the closest homolog of human prion protein is "doppel", a sperm protein. Moreover, there seems to be some link between these other dementia-related proteins and testicular or sperm proteins.

my friend replied, "So should I worry about getting ballzheimers?"

*rimshot*

fallow

Shigosei
Member # 3831

I knew it! Cases of male stupidity can be attributed to guys thinking with their reproductive organs...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a poli-sci major, so all this witty scientific puns are all Greek to me. I guess something is lost in transcription. [Confused]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm suprised no-one has yet made a pun on the mechanism of evolution itself. It'd seem to be the natural selection.
fallow
Member # 6268

bob, that's Lamarkable!
vwiggin
Member # 926

Ha! Fallow, you and Bob are in a neck and neck race for the funniest puns.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

This thread is mutating into something pretty random.
fallow
Member # 6268

Gene cruised through the bottleneck and plowed straight into a drift.
vwiggin
Member # 926

Random? Nah. This thread seems pretty anti-entropic to me. By the way, does the winner get the Darwin award?
fallow
Member # 6268

Gene left the car in Neutral and opted to piggyback on the Red Queen express.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Variety is the splice of life.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,
Did you select the point of this thread naturally?
Liz

Edit: D'Oh. Sorry, Bob, I made a repeat.

[ April 04, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think I've finally found my niche.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't think so, Bob. I don't think you are fit enough.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, I think people are adapting quite well to this thread, but your puns are definitely dominant. It is your area of specialization, for sure.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ouch! I think I've hit a dead end. I wanted to post the url to a website of bad evolution puns, but every time I hit "Add Reply" I look and the thing is gone. It's the missing link.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob,
Is it fair for you to be part of this competition?

Kayla
Member # 2403

You know, when Darwin created evolution, he was only monkeying around.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm terrible at puns and I know relatively little about evolution so I'm not even going to try, but on my travels I discovered a cartoon I thought was funny...

Evolution Does Not Involve Trying

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Teshi,
I think you are using that excuse as a kind of pangea for all your pun-making ills.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I plan to win this contest by the sheer overpopulation of my posts.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
This might not be strictly on topic since evolution depends on fertilization but my aren't we a lively crew of cunning linguists.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We do seem to have a very mutualistic relationshiop, that's for sure/
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think my hatrack family has taken divergent paths. If you have any more puns like this, I respectfully suggest you phylum. Might want to put them in order first. That would show a little class.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel I must apologize. I believe I have headed this thread in a base direction.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cute, Punwit. As if we don't know you are a mutation of Bob Scopatz.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Really, Bob, do you think dividing yourself will help you win the contest?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm reminded of my older sibling, who, if he were actually female instead, would be meiosis.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, Bob, you are really getting zy gote.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, don.t you need to go polish some chrome o' some thing?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.