FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun smackdown (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pun smackdown
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Best sounding pun goes to Annie for:
quote:
Extincts in here. I'm putting my codon and going outside.
Funniest pun goes to fallow for:
quote:
bob, that's Lamarkable!
Best joke that wasn't a pun goes to Kayla for:
quote:
You know, when Darwin created evolution, he was only monkeying around.
Best building block goes to punwit for:
quote:
I feel I must apologize. I believe I have headed this thread in a base direction
Biggest stretch and biggest groaner -- a two-fisted award -- goes to Elizabeth for:
quote:
Bob, don.t you need to go polish some chrome o' some thing?
Best run-on pun, long form, Dagonee for:
quote:
The boss says to his new secretary, “Take these papers and phylum.” As she leaves he Scopes her out. Meanwhile, the mail boy from Port-Au-Prince can’t say anything – he’s a mutation. But he’s polite and helps the secretary put her codon before she goes outside in the cold.
tied with Dagonee for:
quote:
Well, being a genus, I am convergent in the basics of the theory, with a descent understanding of the vocabulary. Consequently, I am well equipped to counter the species arguments of the haploid idiots.
Best use of a colloquialism in pun form goes to vwiggin for:
quote:
Looks like the herd has thinned out quite a bit.
In descent exposure award goes to Shigosei for:
quote:
I'd like to join this common descent into chaos
Darwin award for the best use of Darwin's name goes to jehovoid for:
quote:
I can't wait that long to find out who's gone Dar-win!
...but with honorable mention to Dan_Raven for:
quote:
, I wanted to be Darwin-er, but you stole the pun out from under me. Mytosis going to be lodged upside your head for that theft.
Stephen Jay Gould award, fallow for:
quote:
I feel we've hit a lull. Can someone please punctuate this equilibrium?
(note, this was posted at midnight Central time and thus qualified for consideration.)

Most confusing goes to Honk if you..... for:
quote:
Day One
Bang – Asteroid
Bad Day For Big Lizards
Mammals rule the Earth
Adam shares the apple
Eve screams like a banshee in birth

Scopes vs Newdow
Monkey vs Earth

A Blink

Mitosis, mitosis, where for art thou mitosis

*Hiyagfto*

Congratulations to all you winners out there. Judges decisions are final, unless you have lots of cash.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
There are no winners in evolution, only survivors. [Wink]

You're a great host Bob, the check is in the mail.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I really liked Shigosei's
quote:
e?q,u.i'li!b:ri;um.
as the joke that wasn't a pun. Or what do you call those things? They probably have some name that only the more than 42% nerds know.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bob. That was a real pleasure.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bob, you are a very good host.

Or is that...parasite, I forget?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'd rather be known as a fungi.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Bob, thanks for running the contest. But really - mutation for mute Haitian wasn't the biggest groaner? [Smile] I field tested it and literally got groans from people.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Polymerase" from Bob should've at least gotten honorable mention for biggest stretch and groaner, if not the actual award.

And of course, the award for biggest groin stretcher (a two-fisted award) goes to Pop, even though he didn't have a hand in the contest.

(I wonder if he would've used evil-lotion.)

[ April 06, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be a spoil-spore, I mean Bob may be a Fungi, but these puns have mushroomed out of all proportion.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Waiter, something's crawling out of my primordal soup.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"And of course, the award for biggest groin stretcher (a two-fisted award) goes to Pop,"

That prize is mine, and the judge said there is no changing his mind. Just because I am higher on the food chain is no reason to try and take away my just rewords.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Spelling error? Surely you mean your jest rewards.

(edited to appear slightly more clever)

[ April 06, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, I meant just rewords, because many pus are rewordings, but I am kicking myself for missing "Jest."

I was talking to the kids in math class today. They were really being obstinate, so I really had to work hard to sell division.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dagonee really did deserve an award for this one:

quote:
Meanwhile, the mail boy from Port-Au-Prince can’t say anything – he’s a mutation.
Even if it was buried inside of a post that also got an award, and was sandwiched between two layers of repeats stolen from others.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob, all puns aside for just one second, thanks for a contest where nerds can shine.

We have to be nerdy at so many levels to want to be here.

I remember pun-offs with you and Dan, and i can't even remember what the original thread was. We are like flies on, um, poo.

It is so great to see you happy. Last year, I was sending you cathartic music, and this year I am sending you love songs. Way cool. Dna is a lucky woman, as you are a lucky man.(sorry, could not resist that one)

Thanks to all the participants, also. As Joe says in Great Expectations:

"What larks, Pip!"

Actually sincerely,

Liz

jehovoid
Member # 2014

Liz, I know. I edited mine from "words" to "wards" in the interest of variety.

So, can we play again?

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, did you write that whole post for that one pun, or was it just a typo.

Under Genetic Puns:
quote:
Dna is a lucky woman

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dan, how could you think such a thing of me?

It was a serious post, though I could not help leaving the "a" out of "Dana," since I got absolutely no credit from Bob for that joke in a previous post.

I think we can only do the Pun Smackdown again if Bob is the host(didn't say that on purpose), because otherwise, he would win all the categories.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.