FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob in Cambridge, MA...Sorry for the short notice, but... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bob in Cambridge, MA...Sorry for the short notice, but...
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Suneun, that might actually work. Are you not busy Wed afternoon and Thursday morning? I don't want to be out of the way or anything! With RIPTA I could be in Providence at 4:36 Wed.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
email me with your # and i'll call you
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
To all Western Mass Hatrackers (and anyone else who can make it):

I hereby nominate either Stanley Park in Westfield or Look Park in Northampton as possible sites for an all-day picnic this summer.

If we can put it all together, then I'll take the day off and set it up. We'll rent/reserve a covered site so it will be on rain or shine!

It can't be the last week in June or the first week in July, though....I'll be in Michigan!!!

Any Ideas? If so, I'll start a thread....as a matter of fact, I'll go do it right now.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I should make everone wear little sticky name tags, with their Hatrack names, then their real names....

Otherwise i am just going to be very confusedall night long! [Dont Know]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Legal Seafoods (the one people are talking about going to) is about a block away from the Red Line Kendall stop. FYI.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Kiwi, I'll be the one eeew'ing at your lobster [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, that's good to know. I decided to take a bus in from Manchester to south station instead of fighting boston traffic. That and I had a sleepless night for the second night in a row--so riding sounds a better option than driving. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Riding is always better, just ask Becky.... [Evil]
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm going to try to get down there today, but I am not sure. Is this going to just be a dinner thing, or will people be going someplace else for a little bit after dinner? I'd hate to get to Legal at 8pm, to find out you all went somewhere else for dessert.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I'll e-mail you my cell #, and you can call it, or Bob's. That way you can find us.

I can't stay late tonight, and Bob said that he can't either (something about actually have to WORK tommorrow), but I'll be in Boston until at leat 9:30, maybe later.

Check your e-mail for the #, providing I can get your address from this site...

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

I just tried to e-mail you, but the board won't let me do it....

My e-mail is KweaSr@aol.com, if you want to send me it before 1:00, because I'll be leaving around then.

I'm just not comefortable leaving my cell# on an open forum...

Kwea

Suneun
Member # 3247

I think we'll be at Legal till they kick us out, for the most part.

Kris and I are strongly considering going out to a goth club tonight (Manray). It's bolstered by the fact that a friend of mine might join us. If you're interested, bring black clothes =)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

If we were certain we had everyone, we could ditch Legal, but it's a good spot to have people meet us. Maybe we'll definitely be there until 8:30, unless we know for sure someone is meeting us after 8:30 there?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sunen: What if I Wanted to non-conform, and wore white or blue?
[Evil]

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

I got in touch with Bok, and gave him my cell #, so if we need to go he can get in touch with us.

I'm leaving my house now, to do some things around town, and then I'm heading out. I'll be there early, but that's OK.

See you later tonight!

Kwea

Suneun
Member # 3247

Kwea: You wouldn't be allowed in =)
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

[Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I can go. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack!!!!

[Cry]

This is terrible!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Do you have access to your email? I can tell you what's up. [Frown]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
e-mail's better. I just came out to Hatrack to see if anyone had posted re: getting together tonight.

Or call...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I couldn't go. We have this demo for DARPA next week and I have a list of 6 things that have to be done... I hope you guys have fun. I really wanted to be able to go dancing too. [Frown]
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, all the "kids" have gone on to some activity or other. So it is my happy duty to report on what a great time we had.

My Gawd we Hatrackers are an interesting lot. And good looking to boot! martha and Suneun will be posting pictures at some point (I'm not posting real names, so I'll just have to make up a fictitious name for martha's wonderful guy. I'll call him Kale, mainly because we were making food puns at the end of the evening. He could be a Hatracker without any trouble whatsoever. Nice guy!

So, here's the roster:
Clockwise from my left...
Suneun
Mike
Beca
martha
"Kale"
Bokonon
MyrddinFyre
Kwea
Bob_Scopatz
dkw (via cell phone), well really cell phones...

We met at the Legal Sea Food in Kendall Square and basically sat there laughing and taking pictures (and then laughing at the pictures) until it was well past time for me to go back to the hotel and get some sleep. Well, not really, I called it quits around 10:20, which means I'll be rested tomorrow.

They were scattering to do things like "go to a goth club" or "go get some sleep" or whatever it is you youngsters do these days.

This was definitely the Providence (RI) contingent in full force, but with a health mixture of MA folks thrown in.

Sadly, mackillian wasn't able to attend. I'm sorry mack! We missed you!

And I even had my copy of Monster Rules with me for you to autograph...

Here are some highlights to the evening:
I learned what a "program house" is. And how that relates to geeks.

My cell phone kept crapping out so Dana sort of got to talk to everyone. Then we borrowed "Kale's" cell phone and did the rounds all over again. It was fun for us and probably made up for various phone call attendances I've had at things that Dana was involved in. But at least everyone got to say howdy.

I learned that martha has a new camera and she knows how to use it. [Eek!] There are a few shots of ketchup bottles that are Warholian in their stark contrast of the familiar with the profound.

I also learned that apparently it's mandatory to have at least two jobs if you want to live in this area. [Angst]

And schools are as thick as dust particles in the region.

I learned that mike is good with hatricks, and that this has nothing whatsoever to do with hatrack or hockey.

Beca is not nearly as shy as she says she is. But it's okay because Kwea is really a shrinking violet. Oh, did I say shrinking? More like shrieking. And I mean that in a good way. We had a table full of geeks and nerds (I can't decide which group I'm in) and Mr. Kwea can keep a conversation going better than anyone I've ever met. In fact, without him we might've stared at each other for 1/2 hour or so. [Razz]

Okay, so that's really not true, but it makes a great story that should inspire jealousy in all the rest of you. Kwea does have some great stories!

martha should enter the Pun Smackdowns. She's way good at puns. I liked the haddock/headache on the best. Especially since we were in a sea food place. [ROFL]

All y'all are smarter than any group I've ever met in one spot. Wow! If I'm ever elected president of something, you people will have to be my brain trust. (mainly just to keep you all from turning to evil and taking over.)

Suneun is the next generation doctor here at Hatrack. She's got boards coming up, which sounds like a very serious medical condition, indeed.

MyrddinFyre is just a sweetie, but beware her dark side! Goth! And she'll mesmerize you with varied styles of fingernail acouttrements.

Beca has a really cool family history, btw. They used to own the Equator. I'm pretty sure that's what she said. Okay, it was loud, but there was something about it in there. [Razz]

Bok is just this guy, you know...Well, really, he's really cool and has a job where he tries to break things. Software things. It sounds like fun.

Kwea got here early so we hung out for a little while and I got to talk to JenniK on the phone too. What a nice couple.

Our waiter was a riot. I couldn't understand a word he said, but he was pretty funny anyway.

And I think that's about it.

If only my cell phone worked better. It doesn't like Boston, apparently.

And if only mack could have joined us...

The evening would've been only better. But as it was, this was an incredible and enjoyable time with another group of truly inspiring Jatraqueros.

I opted not to join them for ice cream, so I can't really delve too deeply into their personalities for you. Maybe next time.

Thanks guys! it was fun!!!

[ April 14, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had been there [Frown]

Oh well, legal seafood would have made me kinda green all night.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown]

And the doc didn't call back till 9pm. [Frown]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Paul...they serve chicken and beef too.

Well...next time.

Mack... [Mad] Well...at least he called.

Next time for sure!

mackillian
Member # 586

And Bob, you have a great accent. I wish your cell hadn't been all wonky. We should talk more!
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hey guys, I just got back from Boston, so I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

Bob is as cool in person as he is on-line, which is something that I haven't managed to do myself yet...and I'm not really too cool on-line, so that should tell you something...lol

I'm glad I was able to go tonight, but the night ended with a whimper, sort of....the ice cream place closes early, but we didn't know that,. Oh well, it was still cool. I had an almost 2 hour drive ahead of me, and I work early tommorrow (today, I mean), so I bugged out at 11pm, while Sunen and Myr went "gothing"; they even brought a change of clothes. I guess the club won't let you in unless A)you are a card carrying goth or
B) You can fake it well.

Needless to say, that excludes me...

Martha and "Kale" were the first group to arrive, and they seemed really cool. They took a lot of pictures, and I imagine they will post them soon.

Then the rowdy RI crew showed up and brightened up the evening. Sunen, Mike, Becca (in semi-shy mode), and Myr were very cool, and a lot of fun.

Then, as we were sitting down, Bokonon showed up, with my CoH disk in hand; who needs a video game to be a hero? Now I can meet up with him and play.....I hope. With my luck regarding this beta I'm afraid to hope...

We talked to Dana, who seemed really sweet, and then ate some good eats. Despite my threats to Myr, I didn't get the lobster....she might have gotten sick, and where's the fun in that? [Razz]

We wanted to get dessert, but it didn't work out. Oh well, it was still a cool evening. The only thing that could have made it better for me was if JenniK could have been there to share it with me. Oh, and if Mack could have made it too, but she lives close enough that I'm sure I'll see her soon enough....

I hope to see you all soon, perhaps at the WMASS Picnic. Everyone seemed very cool, and I am grateful to have had the chance to meet you all face to face. Just emagine how much fun an all day picnic would be; if any one wanted to stay the night, I'm sure we could arrange it, there are plenty of hotels around here that are reasonable, and a few people might be convinced to put some people up.

Kwea

[ April 15, 2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

See, "shy-Beca" is generally characterized by a tendency to tell family stories instead of making actual conversation. I wasn't too bad about it, though (lucky for all of you).

Anyway, it certainly was fun meeting people and hanging out with everyone. Worth missing martial arts class for, certainly.

[Smile]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually shook Bob_S's hand! And talked to him on Myr's cellphone! Twice! ( [Hail] Bob)

*dies*

P.S. You other guys are cool too. [Big Grin] I'm looking forward to our next Boston Hatrack gathering, which is in, what, a little over a week? Yey!

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a recipe for Sleek, a Middle Eastern dish:
Cook some bulgar wheat.
Open a can of black-eyed peas.
Fry some sliced onions with some slices mushrooms.
Put it all together in a huge frying pan or pot with a lot of kale (cut into smallish pieces). Add salt and pepper. Put a lid on it and steam it til the kale is bright green. Eat hot, or cold as leftovers.
mmmmmmm, Kale.

What? Oh, the picnic! Right. It was awesome, except for that Bob guy, he was really a drag. But he had a great hat.

The ice cream place closed at 10!! So Kale and I gave Suneun and Myr a ride to the goth club, while Mike and Beca headed back to Providence.

There must be an official punning event at the Western Mass gathering. I decree it.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

martha=very cool!

I've been waiting to meet her since joining Hatrack. She left Orlando about the time I started posting. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Kale & martha make a very nice couple. And if he doesn't start posting on Hatrack soon, I've totally lost my "hatrack radar."

Oh, by the way, it's easy to spot Hatrackers in a crowd. We really didn't know what each other looked like, but when a guy walks up in a brown bowler hat and surrounded by laughing women who have IQ's well into the triple digits, you just know they're the Hatrackers you're looking for or the ones that haven't heard of the site yet. And that's nobody's fault at all.

Or you spot two people discussing whether HellBoy and SpiderMan are good adaptations, just buy them a drink. It'll all work out. They're Hatrackers for sure.

Or, if they talk to you for 5 minutes and start Dobieing your conversation.

So just set an extra place at the table and enjoy

Beca, I loved your stories. And I didn't think you acted at all shy. (hmmm, unless that was Kwea rubbing me under the table...???). Kwea???
Oh wait, I forgot, don't ask, don't tell...

Mike's cell phone abilities were startling, to say the least, but he's even better in person.

It turns out I had an all-black outfit so I could've gone out "gothing" with Sun & Myr, but I doubt I would've been let in anyway. My whole look would just scream "tourist!"

LOL.

Oh and I'm serious about the good looks people. You all could be models or something. Sheesh! I never felt so out of place. It was like they were all taking Quasimodo out for a meal or something. "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!"

I think you all should be entered in the Hatrack breeding program, for sure! Yes, that's it! Go have children. Give them to CT...

Um...nevermind...
Oh well, I had a fun time.

I'll never look at ketchup or sugar packets the same way again.

Bok needs a pirate shirt and an eye patch. Arrrrrrr.

Bokonon
Member # 480

And this is why Bob is a genius. I've been trying to find that last piece of the puzzle, that soul-completing action that would create a perfect fusion between my inner and outer self.

And Bob nailed it. To my metaphysical door. All "95 Theses" style.

Arrrrr, indeed.

[Smile]

-Bok

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could have gone... sounds like a lot of fun!

[Grumble] [/jealousy]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

*giggles*

Just got home, wee!

I wish we could have had a whole weekend to sit around and talk!

Yup, everyone is cool x 10. 'Cept Bob, who is cool times a million.

I also wish Dragon and Sarah and mack could have made it. Next time! (And there WILL be a next time... we will not let Bob come up without stealing him away for dinner!)

I think I found my new favorite club [Smile]

Oh, and I'm gonna marry the waiter [Smile]

Suneun
Member # 3247

It was tres-fun. Bob was just as I had imagined him. Which is impressive, since I didn't even look at a photo of him beforehand!
Kwea
Member # 2199

The waiter, huh?

I doubt it....you probably have to TALK to him first... [Evil]

Then again, you could just walk up to him and give him a "come-hither" look......dressed in your goth getup...
Yep, that might work.

But Myr, wouldn't that break a few hearts in hatrack chat? What, you didn't know???

Nevemind, forget I said anything....

Beca, in shy mode or not, you were cool. Now if we could just get you to post more...oh well, you can't have everything...

Martha (and Kale): I can't wait to see all those pictures! JenniK asked if i had fun, and I just said "Pass the ketsup(sp?) please..."

The WMASS Picnic will be a blast, I can tell already...and why would any of us want to compete with you, martha? We all know who would win...

And Bob, shhhhhh...we don't want any questions about the extra hour we spent up in your room, remember....what happens in Boston.....

[Evil] [Evil] [ROFL]

Kwea

[ April 16, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ooops! I forgot!!!

[Monkeys] [Monkeys] [Monkeys]

Kwea
Member # 2199

a likely story, Mr. PHD.....

[ROFL]

Kale
Member # 6460

- posted      Profile for Kale           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thanks to the work of Mr. Scopatz, I really did not have to put much thought into a username. [Smile]

Alas, I should get back to work right quick, but wanted to at least post the pictures for all of you. Sadly a lot of them are a bit blurry, as the poor camera was asked to perform its task sans flash in almost all cases and that meant the shutter needed to take its sweet time.

Since I don't know what else to do with them, I've put the pictures on another web server for your perusal. I reserve the right to take 'em down whenever I get around to spring-cleaning my homedir (um, maybe spring '06 or so).

Very nice to meet all of you fine fabulous folk -- happy Friday to you!

[ April 16, 2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Kale ]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good to see you here. Kale. Thanks for the links to the pic's; I was just IMing Myr asking abouut them.

Better blurry than not at all, right? I hate it ehen people next to me use their flash over and over again...

Hope to see you this summer!

Kwea

Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the pic of Bok with the 3 1/2 hands!

Welcome to Hatrack, Kale.

[Smile]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Oh well. I didn't want to be too obtrusive, so I took very few photos. As a result, only two came out worth looking at...

Myr and Kwea and Bok and Myr.

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Myr, you're not wearing your orange and black outift.

And Kale, I dunno if it's supposed to be like that but your homedirectory is quite accessible.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Man, I never knew I had such an obvious 5 o'clock (or in this case seven-thirty o'clock) shadow.

-Bok

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Bob, you have a great accent.
Bob has an accent? I don't remember any accent...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- wondering if she's strong enough to stay in one apartment with the sex god that is bok

*cold shower*
*cold shower*
*cold shower!!!!!!!*

[Wink]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kale
Member # 6460

- posted      Profile for Kale           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning, sarahdipity. You're probably going to be able to see the names of most of the files in my homedir and other directories, but you shouldn't be able to actually read any of 'em. It hasn't bothered me enough to get around to adjusting that. (shrug)
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Kale! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Kama, remember, I have a girlfriend! Down girl! [Smile]

*Looks sternly, yet embarassed*

-Bok

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.