FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Misandry, and why I'm Shocked--Shocked I Tell You-- (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Misandry, and why I'm Shocked--Shocked I Tell You--
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding misandry:

There are few things that are more offensive to me than women talking about how "men are dogs" but then turn to the male friend in the room and say "I don't mean you." Do you mean it, or not? It seems like the only reason they think all men are dogs is because they had the extreme misfortune to pair up with dog after dog, while leaving out the "good guy" as a friend.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, friend I had major crush on in high school and college once said, "Why can't I find someone like you?"

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Because, unfortunately, many women think bad or dumb guys are cool, and then are completely shocked when they get mistreated.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an area which seems overripe for cognitive behavioral therapy.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a well-known fact that "nice" men often wind up being cast as the best friend -- an undateable but reliable guy who'll tag along and never be critical. It's remarkably safe for the woman, at least until the guy gets all unhealthy and passive-aggressive about it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a element of attraction to "bad" guys, but I think alot of it also stems from most guys who complain about being a "good" guy and not getting women because of it lack confidence. I've known plenty of respectful guys who have no problem getting women. The thing is, their respect comes out of their confidence and is not covering up for it's lack. Of course, there's also the issue of who you're trying to get. There are a significant number of women out there who are attracted to guys who mistreat them.

Olivetta,
I think you may have missed the part where I put in a disclaimer about respecting housew...I mean stay at home wives (or husbands) who choose to stay at home. Even if I didn't understand (and in the cases of kids wholeheartedly endorse) this choice, it would still not be my place to criticize another person's freely made choice. The problem is that there are still so many women who think that this role is the only choice that they can have. I was specifically talking about them.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

But it's my problem (or good luck) that has me always fall in love with my male best friends. [Big Grin]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time in my life that I was not interested in dating anybody, so I stopped trying to be "nice". I was obnoxious, and somewhat of a jerk, because I just didn't care what anybody thought.

Much to my surprise, women were *much* more attracted to me during this period than when I was trying to attract women. The inappropriate lesson that I leared was "women like jerks". Learning this "lesson" did not help me as a person. [Frown] But I still think there is some truth to it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
This is only somewhat related, but will someone please explain the whole bumbling fat guy/hot skinny wife combo that seems to show up so often in sitcoms?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Hey, don't knock it. I'll be half of one of those marriages come July. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I think the "nice" "best friend" label gets attached to women as well. Generally the non-bitchy ones end up with the "nice-best friend" label while the "nice" guys tend to go for the prima-donna princess-bitch variety.

It makes no sense.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

(Obligatory joke warning)

Dag, I had no idea you were a hot woman.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

[ROFL]

Edit: Id've gotten that one.

[ April 16, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to back up Banna's post.

Much to my, uh, chagrin.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, I see guys who walk around drooling after the princess girls, but at least they were smart enough to actually date and marry the nice and smart ones.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I never get that... King of Queens is such an annoying show, but slowly I'm learning to stop watching these irratating shows.
Because if I complain about it, especially to a certain person she will say, "Don't watch them." And so will another certain person.
But sadly, I am an idiot and a cultural critic.
But it's really just frustrating. The Help, for instance is just... trashy and horrible. I wish these people would STOP making these sort of shows...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Eek!]
*laugh* [Kiss]
Somehow, everything works out.

[ April 16, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

As far as girls liking jerks:
I think we're attracted mostly to confidence. Everybody is attracted to confidence. And there's a very fine line between being confident and self-assured and being horribly arrogant. My therapist and I had very long discussions on this subject.

Aside from that, a lot of women learn early on that "nice guys" turn into puppy-dog barnacles that attatch themselves to your ankle and don't let go.

I suspect it's probably the same with men liking bitchy girls.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really should make it a point to stop prying onto their ankles like that, I'm sure I get pretty heavy after awhile.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Best commentary I’ve ever seen on the “girls don’t date nice guys” complaint.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw I apologize using the word "bitch" if people find it offensive but I don't know what other word to use to describe it.

And after owning an unspayed female dog, I can assure you that the word's meaning really hasn't changed much.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
"Bitch" means female dog! That always makes me laugh!!!

Speaking of Bitch, why are so many women on television so BITCHY and obnoxious? How is that interesting?
Gah. I got to stop spending so much time complaining about television...
There are other things I could do like read Seduced by Moonlight or play video games.

[ April 16, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Grin, and being that I'm into showing dogs, one of the nicest complements I'm getting on one of them is.

"Man that bitch can move!"

Which she can. She flys at a trot around the ring at a speed when most dogs are at a gallop. She gets to set the pace of trotting that Jake has to keep up with when they are exercising.

AJ

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't like the term bitch, even when you're using it with dogs. It's just so...bleh...

What do you call a male dog, anyway? Don't you just call them 'a dog'? Stud? Bana, fill me in.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I mean, you don't call female cats bitches, and you can communicate with people about the specific gender of your cat without refering it as a bitch. What's the point?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You don't call female cats bitches.
That's because a female cat is called a dam.

And yeah, apparently, a male dog is just a dog.

[ April 16, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think it is like cows in a way. Cows are one of the few that we commonly call the entire species by the female gender rather than the male. Even though technically you've got cows, bulls and steers that all belong to the Bovine species.

In a similar way dogs and bitches are both members of the Canine species but we commonly call them both "dogs".

But the AKC went with technically correct definition back a century ago when they started and that is why it hasn't changed. In the dog breeding community it is very common to use the terms only gender specifically.

AJ

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
dkw -- that is *PERFECT* That exactly expalains what I was talking about in my life. Thank you.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's just unnecessary insulting to the dog and it grates on the ears. I just don't see the purpose.

JB, I never knew that was specific to female cats. Interesting. Thanks. I know it's a general term for mother, though.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Cats are either toms or dams (I think).

Oops. Maybe I'm wrong. I think a dam is not just a female, but a mother (so that it parallels the term "sire").

[ April 16, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I thought they called female cats queens... they did it in the book I read called You and Your Cat.
Heifer is another funny word. [ROFL]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Stud dog means something very specific kind of similar to what Stud means in horses.

If you have a horse standing "at stud" or a "stud dog" it generally means something more specific then that they are unneutered (kwisni correct me if I'm wrong about horses.) Any unneutered dog can father a litter.

When a dog is a "Stud dog" it generally means that the owners feel the animal is a quality enough animal that it can contribute significantly to the breed. Generally the dog will have been shown extensively and done a significant amount of winning. (though "extensive" and "significant" are deliberately relative terms since it is a subjective opinion) And the owner is willing to have it bred to bitches outside their own kennels... for a fee.

If the "stud dog" is of high enough quality he can drastically influence the breed for good. Though sometimes a dog simply becomes popular with breeders overlooking his bad traits. And then the breed suffers as a result. The success of a "stud dog" is dependent on the quality of the genes he passes on, as well as the quality of the bitches he is bred to and how popular he becomes so that people want to use him with their bitches to begin with.

The "stud fees" vary by how much the dog has won, breed popularity etc. Right now I have a friend with a doberman that has a stud fee of $10,000 per female bred. In cardigan corgis the stud fee would on the highest end likely be around 2K and often not even that much but instead you ask for a stud fee puppy if you like the breeding.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I can't see that it is insulting to the animal, when the word is being used in its original context. Most people these days have their pets spayed or neutered a practice which I strongly support.

However until you see an un-neutered female reigning supreme in her pack and keeping the males in line you can't possibly fully understand why the word "bitch" got applied to humans with the connotation it did.

AJ

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Ther's also the issue of who and why you're selecting someone.

"Oh, why doesn't she see how kind and smart and sensitive I am? She just doesn't like nice guys."

"Hey, dude why are you interested in her?"

"Are you kidding? She's smoking hot!"

It's been my experience that smart, funny, intelligent, sensitive, and above all confident, girls don't like being treated like crap. They want a nice gy who is also secure in himself. It's just that there are so few of these girls out there.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Mr. Squicky, I love that comment.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'll agree to some of the nice guy analysis to an extent. However, I think there's an unwarranted assumption that men who are nice are doing it to get with the woman romantically, which is pretty insulting in and of itself. Also, most people wouldn't recognize true confidence if it bit them in the ass.

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Also, most people wouldn't recognize true confidence if it bit them in the ass.

What do you mean?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*Chomp*
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Dag,
To follow up on that, I guy I knew in college used to complain about how none of the girls he dated were worthy of him. He thought that he was so great and confident and that all the girls he dated were weak. He did eventually date a girl that I personally thought was super-kickass and she blew him right out of the water. He tried to subtly control her the way that he did all of his other weaker girlfirends and she wasn't having it. It wasn't long before he was running scared.

Since I never really liked that guy, I thought this was hilarious.

pH
Member # 1350

Pfft. You _say_ you want a confident, independent woman, but you don't really know what to do with one when you find her. [Grumble]
katharina
Member # 827

LawGuy: [Eek!] Oh, really...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's exactly what I mean, Squick.

Kat, true confidence doesn't involve trying to control others, or doing anything to advertise how great you are. It's being yourself, and only changing for other people when that change comes from a genuine desire to please the other person, not from a desire to gain something for yourself by pleasing the other person. It's assuming others will take you at face value and taking others that way. It's knowing who you are, and being willing to confront those portions of who you are that need bettering. It's knowing what you're good at, but being willing to do things you're not good at.

In short, it's nothing anyone can really notice in a bar.

Dagonee
Edit to fix spelling (damn homonyms) and wording, but not before Kat quoted it. [Smile]

[ April 16, 2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pfft. You _say_ you want a confident, independent woman, but you don't really know what to do with one when you find her
Marry her. That's what I did. Worked out really well too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Kat, true confidence doesn't involve trying to control others, or doing anything to advertise how great you are. It's being yourself, and only changing for other people when that change comes from a genuine desire to please the other person, not from a desire to gain something for yourself by pleasing the other person. It's assuming others will take you at face value and taking others that way. It's knowing who you are, and being willing to confront those portions of who you are that need bettering. It's knowing what your good at, but being willing to things your not good at.

In short, it's nothing anyone can really notice in a bar.

Oh, I also love this. [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Olivia Goldsmith's book "Bad Boys." A woman complains to her best bud about her latest jerk boyfriend. Best bud complains about being a nice guy, and asks her to teach him how to be a jerk so he can get dates. She does, and writes about it on the side.

Not what I'd consider a great book, but it did have some excellent insights on the attractions. At one point some women are talking among themselves and asking "Why do we like bad boys, anyway?" and one of them answers in a chillingly brusque, honest manner. I don't have it in front of me, but it's something like, "Because we know there's no real risk of commitment, because we know in our hearts that we're the only ones that can tame this wild panther, because they're the strongest and fiercest around so our bodies know they'll be good breeding stock, because they make the other women envious, and because it's an ego-boost to know that we can attract this impossible-to-control man."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

To again chime in support of Dag, the psych research I'm running right now is centered around distinguishing between immature self-esteem and a more mature form of self-acceptance. In the first form, people deceive themselves as to how powerful (or smart or whatever) they are. They try to cover up their weaknesses instead of acknowledging them. It's very important that they always feel themselves to be the most powerful, so they tend to dismiss or feel threatened by other powerful people and to enjoy being around weaker people.

In the other form, people demonstrate a devotion and acceptance of the reality of situations. They acknowledge that they have weaknesses. They also tend to appreciate the company of people that are themselves strong. Thus, they don't need to dominate other people or to be the best.

An attitude that I've been pushing a lot comes out of this confidence. That is, confident people don't need others to agree with them to respect or like them. Instead, they tend to focus on whether the way people go about things is worthy of respect.

In terms of a relationship, you are confident when you appreciate another person for who they are and delight in both your similarities and your differences. You are not confident when you focus entirely on what you are getting out of the other person.

The best part is, I've got actual scientific research to back up these claims. Go Science!

edit: And I want to emphasize what Dag said about most people not knowing real confidence if it came up and bit them on the butt. I totally agree.

[ April 16, 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know the line between confidence and arrogance is one I struggle with myself. I know I come across as arrogant to people but I genuinely don't mean to. I don't think I'm actually more arrogant than anyone else. But you will rarely catch visibly in moments of doubt unless you know the deepest darkest me that not many people see. I second guess myself but I'm not afraid of making decisions either.

How do you be confident but not arrogant?

AJ

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Have faith in your abilities, but don't brag about them. Do what you can and work to stretch your abilities, but don't assume you can handle everything. Remember that no matter how good you are, you can still screw up. Respect the abilities of others. Don't act threatened if your abilities are questioned.

For some reason when I think of "confidence" I think of "quiet." An arrogant person makes sure you know what he or she can do. A confident person doesn't need to.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The quiet part is a good indicator, but a confident person is also willing to speak up and say, "I think I can do that well" when appropriate.

In other words, be willing to make your talents known when that can be helpful.

Dagonee
Edit: It's worth pointing out that the reason you need to speak up at such times is because you haven't been arrogant before.

[ April 16, 2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Livvy, have I told you lately that I love you? [Kiss]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.