FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Misandry, and why I'm Shocked--Shocked I Tell You-- (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Misandry, and why I'm Shocked--Shocked I Tell You--
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what kind of price you put on happiness.

There are some things that any amount of money couldn't make me do.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... reading this thread makes me feel so... abnormal as a woman...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, Mack, you can be a SAHM, and not really ever be H. When I was home,(about nine months total, not counting summers off) I would just pack everybody up, throw food in a cooler, and go somewhere. It made cleaning the house a snap! They were not there as much to mess it up.

In the summer, to the beach or bike path. Mack, you could just strap the babe to your back and head for the hills.

There are all kinds of SAHMs. I like to think of myself as a Dented-Van Soccer Mom. I do all the soccer mom things, just not as efficiently or as regularly or as well.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If gas prices get up much higher we'll stay homebound every day, though!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I agree with Belle. I made good money (GREAT money for an English Major [Big Grin] ), but I HATED my job, for the most part.

However, even on days when people wanted to blame ME because their son left his wife and moved to California ( I had never even seen the fellow in person, and somehow, as a government flunky, I was responsible for this kid's total lack of loyalty to his wife and his son? Oy. I sat down UNDER my cubicle and cried) it was still easier than staying home with a toddler and a preschooler. They would scorch if we went to the playground except in the late evening, and going anywhere was hard because I didn't know anybody.

Plus, I couldn't go to a store or the mall for long enough to have to use the bathroom, because Liam would get out of his stroller, crawl under the stall and ask strangers to pick him up before I could get my pants up enough for decency's sake.

It's easier now, but for a while it was incredibly hard. I think I went three years before I could safely use the bathroom with the door shut (had to keep an eye on the little miscreants). Geez, what a life.

That said, I didn't choose to do it because it was easier. I chose to stay home because Ron and I decided that one of us should, and I volunteered. It was a hard, thankless job the first few years, but I'm glad I did it.

Oh, and Ron usually packs Robert's lunch for school (mister finicky will eat lunch from the cafeteria once or twice a month, if that), but I packed it for him on Friday. He got home from school and asked me who packed his lunch. That worried me a little, because Ron and I are usually both up getting stuff ready for the day. I'm usually the one getting his clothes and homework in order, etc. while Ron does his lunch.

I was afraid he didn't like it or something. But no. He said, "It was a really big luch and I really liked it. I just wanted to thank the person responsible." [Smile]

Then he grilled Ron later about why he never packs good lunches like that. [Big Grin] Gosh, I love that kid. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I love your boys.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could never, ever, be a SAHM.
I think you should reserve judgment on this issue until you are actually a mom. Many say that and change their minds.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I also say that because I don't think I'm capable of being a mother.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you say that, Mack?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.