FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worthless American Culture (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worthless American Culture
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I received this in an email from my dad today:

quote:
A voice from Italy: http://thejoyofknitting.blogspot.com/
_________

About a year ago I happened to talk with an acquaintance of mine, a teacher of Belles Lettres, and she expressed her distaste for American culture. She said it lacked depth. I replied that I had read several works by Americans and that I didn't find them superficial. At which she insisted, and I asked her if she had ever actually read anything written by an American, to which she replied "Not really". "Not really what? Almost, but not quite, or never?" I went on, feeling terribly nasty indeed, and stated quoting some well known authors. Henry David Thoreau? Herman Melville? Edgar Allan Poe? Henry James? Edith Wharton? "Not really, no." Not even oft quoted poets? Walt Whitman? Emily Dickinson? "Ehm, no."
Then she she said solemnly, "I don't need to know American culture to understand that it's worthless."

This, in a nutshell, is the essence of European anti-americanism. A mixture of ignorance, arrogance, and prejudice. I always thought that to judge a culture you need to know it, at least a bit. But no, why waste time when superciliousness can do your work for you?
I quote this episode because it illustrates a feeling quite common over here. Americans are superficial. They lack depth. They lack complexity. And so, no matter what they do, they're always wrong. Better sit gracefully on a fence than actually do something, it's so vulgar.

# posted by Joy @ 2:36 AM

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
The french can talk?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt] [Taunt] [Taunt]
Sorry, I needed it. Hey, there are stupid people with prejugees EVERYWHERE, you know. You should have heard you just before the war began in Iraq [Roll Eyes]
I love American culture, and I love Hatrack.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I like American culture!

However, I think it's a mistake to classify that as European anti-Americanism, as I know plenty of Americans that hate American culture in just the same way.

But yes, it is possible to hate something without understanding it at all. In fact, that's the EASIEST way to hate something.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
But yes, it is possible to hate something without understanding it at all. In fact, that's the EASIEST way to hate something.
Very well said [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's link to the Catwoman trailer and prove her wrong.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, I know many European countries that don't have any real problem with our culture... France and Italy I can see being condescending, as well as Spain. I saw Barcelona (the movie) and it seemed to kinda strike home to me. It seems the Latinate countries are the most beliigerent when it comes to that.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Okay, not all the french. Especially not Anna.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Erik [Kiss]
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Anna
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Funny how I'm interested in European Culture, especially the Art, and some Europeans wouldn't even like to consider us at all.

The close-minded are everywhere.

Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
But in the other way, hopefully, when you get to know something or someone, you can less easily hate it or him [Smile]
In my adolescence, anti-Americans speech didn't bother me. Now I met Hatrack and all those wonderful people here, I just can't stay sit and let someone say that all Americans are obese or violent or stupid. Internet is a good and a bad thing, but it allowed me to meet those I thought were very different from me, in a certain way they were, but in other ways they were like other myself. A good way to try to learn tolerance, if you ask me.

Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
This "Frogman" seems to like Americans and American Culture just fine too.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, you rawk.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Am I a "frogwoman" ?
[ROFL]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very proud of American cheese.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I'm not proud of French pancakes, pizzas or coffee, to be honest. And a lot of things I don't remember now. For exemple, hard to find peanut butter here and I am a peanutbutterholic.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What is American culture exactly? [Confused]
Now pop culture is a vast wasteland. It's not easy to find something good that has depth about it.
But there's always some spark of light and interest somewhere...
You can't just say you hate all of American culture due to a few stupid movies or lame pop stars parading around nekkid every five seconds.
That's not the full spectrum of American Culture. There is jazz to consider! Rock and roll! A whole smashing range of books!
Which is why I wish I could study American culture so I can at least know what I'm talking about when I criticise it. Especially since these days it seems to be about Mc Donalds, Coca Cola, product icons drowning out creativity like weeds.
At least on some weird level..

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
American culture, hmmm...

Ah, yes: Leonard Cohen! Great stuff! Yay to Canada.

What else?

Ah, yes: Nina Simone! The high priestess of soul! Johnny Depp! What a guy! Benjamin Franklin -- surely a very cultured man.

Ohh, wait, all these preferred, or prefer, to live, in France, no?

[Razz]

[ April 16, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Sal ]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

That's some pretty selective picking there. That has to be, what, less than .5% of famous Americans? Also, you'd have to lump Alec Baldwin in there, too, and that takes the highbrow down a notch.

[ April 16, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, how is this different from the vast number of Americans who hate France?

Or are we just agreeing that there are a lot of idiots in the world?

*ahem*

What I meant to say is, Go America Go!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Book. That's why: [Razz]

Though it's really interesting to think more globally and ask: Which part of American culture is, or will become, part of the world culture?

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

quote:
Wait, how is this different from the vast number of Americans who hate France?

Or are we just agreeing that there are a lot of idiots in the world?

Bob [Kiss]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I never get that France hatred... Makes no sense to me...
But then again, a lot of things people do just confuse me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Which part of American culture is, or will become, part of the world culture?
Email is Awesome
Email is Weird
Email is Awesome
Email is Weird
[incomprensible] GRRRRL!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

[Confused]
Book
Member # 5500

American dislike of France stems from Gaullism, I believe; Charles de Gaulle tried his hardest to get Americans out of France after World War II due to a deep, deep distrust of us. We didn't take that too well. Jaques Chirac is a neo-Gaullist, I think, or so I hear. He certainly believes France deserves a far higher place in the world than it currently occupies, and his unintelligent, tactless quips about America-loving Eastern Europeans makes him out to be the ultimate French political stereoty[e in many people's eyes.

Also, France prides itself on its culture, probably more than any other nation, and that just leads to a conflict of interest with America's natural exceptionalism.

[ April 16, 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, two words: Strong Bad.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to second Anna's mention of pizza being one of the great American refinements. It is truly a wonder food that will make your teeth whiter, your fur shinier, and improve your sex life.

Hooray for American pizza!

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[incomprensible]
[Eek!] [Eek!]

It's "and I'll never forget the way it was grrrl!"

duh. [Razz]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I asked all the guys in the barracks how many of them had ready anything by any of those authors I received 49 nos, 1 yes ( myself), not to mention a whole lot of " Hey Jay Stop talkign about books and grab a beer."
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Even for Poe? [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ha, that was my 6000 post and I didn't even notice! Mark this as the first time I've not done a landmark for a 1000 marker.

*Wipses sweat of forehead*
I didn't much want to figure out what to write anyways. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, believe it or not, most people I kinda hang around here pretty much don't read for fun. The closest they come to quality reading is a training or field manual.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah but.... Poe! They must've at least heard quotes from The Raven! If not you should start quothing some of it to them.

*really lame joke smilie*

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I'm sorry, there are people who graduated from American high schools and didn't have to read ANY Poe? No Tell-Tale Heart? Not even The Raven? [Eek!] [Angst]

I'm fairly certain pieces by each and every one of those writers were required reading in my high school!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had a chance to ask the foriegn soldiers what they have read?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey I asked all the guys in the barracks how many of them had ready anything by any of those authors I received 49 nos, 1 yes ( myself), not to mention a whole lot of " Hey Jay Stop talkign about books and grab a beer."
And these minds are defending our country.

I feel safer already.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I LOVE Strongbad [Smile]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Excerpt from, "The Naked and the Well Read" (soldiers)

quote:
When the order came to take Hill 19 the Sergeant ground his cigar stub into the fine white sand of Tojaida Island and bared his corn-yellow teeth. "Not that it's ours to take!" he said, rubbing his thick, calloused hand over the stubble of his square jaw. "You mugs understand we have property right in the hill, or any moral claim to the area it encompasses." He shifted his packed, hard body and spat into an overturned C-ration can.

"But is it correct, from an ethical standpoint, to allow physical force to be the deciding factor in disagreements between nations? What would Thoreau say?" It was Dough-Boy, the freckle-faced infantryman with the crooked, Mid-Western smile and innocent grey eyes that blinked whenever you poured pencil shavings in them.

"Difficult to say," the Sergeant replied, pulling a cigar stub from its wrapper. "Kant would subscribe to the deontological theory of moral imperatives."

"Check!" interrupted Grease-Monkey, the cherub-faced mechanic and former professor of Linguistics at Cornell. "He'd want us to examine our motives in a neutral environment, not the biased circumstances of war."

Bull, resting his muscle-bloated body on a rusted oil drum, had been shoved to the breaking point. His broad, featureless face exploded in fury as he jumped to his feet. "Talk, talk, talk... all we do is talk. Me want to clobber the enemy, not talk!" As he worked his massive mandibles the others rolled their eyes.

"Reminds me a little of Benjy, the simple-minded Christ figure in Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury," muttered Stir-Fry, the platoon chef.

"Philistine!" said Germ-Jockey, the seasoned medic.

"Leave 'im alone" ordered the Sergeant. There was a long, embarrassed silence as the rage melted from Bull's boulder-like head. "Hey, like... like me sorry me got mad" he grumbled, like a friendly grizzly bear endowed with the miracle of human speech. "It's just data I didn't do the readin' this week."

The platoon burst into gentle laughter as the Sergeant gave Bull a manly but affectionate kick in the head. "Hell, that all? Jesus, Bull, you can catch up. It's only 80 pages of Flaubert and we'll help you with the French." The Sargeant's [sic] words stretched a broad, moronic smile across Bull's acre-wide face and helped the platoon temporarily forget the horrors o jungle war.

"Alright...alright!" shouted the Sargeant [sic], shoulder his book bag, "load up and remember...no shooting. We have a moral obligation to preserve all life, regardless of the demands placed on us by an arbitrary government."

"Even if they shoot at us first, Sarge?" asked Slim-Jim, the munitions expert and beef jerky magnate, as he unloaded his rifle. "I mean, some interpret Ghandi's [sic] later writings as..." The Sergeant interrupted his discourse with a powerful right to the solar plexus. "Im [sic] not takin' any revisionist up the hill with me" he added, turning his back on Slim-Jim's wheezing form," so you can sit here and stew while we're gone."

At the call to "fall out," the small platoon lined up and began its rigorous but sensitive trek through the dense jungle. CO'B

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And these minds are defending our country.

I feel safer already.

Not all of your military members eschew literature, even of the American variety.

But yes, it does take all kinds to defend the Constitution. And often, the military gives people some means to improve/continue their education.

Your generalization is misconstrued.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, I'm not sure if that's funny or frightening. And I'm not sure what it says about people who read too much. [Smile] But that was cool.

I think all cultures have good and bad in them. American culture that nobody mentioned yet: THE BLUES! Of course that originated in West African folk music, but everything we've done comes from somewhere else. Maybe the coolest thing of all about America is just how we freely cadge, nick, adopt, steal, borrow, and amalgamate everything good from everywhere else. Pizza, indeed. I would add the American version Chinese food, which isn't anything like Chinese Chinese food, from what I hear, but it's so great! [Smile]

Energy, optimism, vitality, feeling. America is a puppy. How can you not love it?

But France is wonderful too. Because Anna's from there, and they make such great movies, and they seem to understand the human heart there, more than we do, don't they? And know its all-importance. And because of Le Petit Prince. What a jewel of a book! (I think I'm in love with a French pilot who died 60 years ago.)

<<<<<<<<<<<Anna>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
You should come to Poland, John. Every soldier knows Thoreau and Melville by heart. Not to mention Shakespeare.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

ak, you will never guess who wrote that article. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Beren, that was awesome. Is "The Naked and Well Read" a book?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Nope. It was written by a college student. [Smile]

This student, now a major contributor to the worthless American Culture, recently gave a pretty nifty commencement speech for his alma mater.

"What else can you expect? Let me see, by your applause, who here wrote a thesis. (APPLAUSE) A lot of hard work, a lot of your blood went into that thesis... and no one is ever going to care.

I wrote a thesis: Literary Progeria in the works of Flannery O'Connor and William Faulkner. Let's just say that... it doesn't come up much. For three years after graduation I kept my thesis in the glove compartment of my car so I could show it to a policeman in case I was pulled over. (ACT OUT) License, registration, cultural exploration of the Man Child in the Sound and the Fury..."

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Are you saying it was written by you?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

What a compliment, but no. [Wink]
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't think most guys in an all male environment are looking for a way to demonstrate their grasp on the finer things in life. I mean, when I'm hanging out with the girls, none of them wants to discuss compression ratios in two stroke vs. four stroke engines.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.