FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late (Page 10)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If we don't make a detour through Milwaukee to pick up any Milwalkers, the chance of Beloitering is 100%. In other words, we'd normally drive through Beloit to get to Skokie. So if you need a ride, it's no problem -- although we've booked our rooms from the 13th through the 15th, so that may be an issue for you.

[ July 11, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
The scope of your awesomeness is boundless.

We're finalizing Mayday's travel plans this week, so I'll know exactly how long we'll be staying...supposidly by the 15th.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, "work" is a dreadful translation of melachah -- not that anyone has come up with a better on yet, to my knowledge. A decent link on the subject.

Short of an emergency threatening life or health, I cannot ride in a vehicle on Shabbos, nor can I handle money. (If I were required to pay for each day in the hotel on that day, it would indeed be a problem. Good thing they let you pay for all the days together. [Wink] ) As far as walking into the Art Institute on a day that doing so is free . . . well, I personally would not be comfortable doing so. *shrug*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(If I were required to pay for each day in the hotel on that day, it would indeed be a problem. Good thing they let you pay for all the days together. [Wink] )
I know this is completely beside any real point, and that you were makeing a joke, but I still feel compelled to say that, I doubt even if they required such payments that it would be any real problem, I'm sure you could give your share for that day to one of your room mates on the day prior. [Razz]

like I said, I know that was ajoke, so I have clearly over thought, but I still felt compelled to say it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* I'm sure there would be many ways around it, Marek. I'm just glad I needn't worry about any.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
this may be an odd queastion, because I have the idea that Shabbat has more to do with the setting of the sun then it does the stroke of midnight, but if it is based on the time on the clock, which time zone will you celebrate it on while in chicago?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It has nothing to do with midnight -- or with any human-invented time measurements at all. It does indeed depend on the sunset. On the Hebrew calendar, each new day begins not at midnight, but at sunset (or maybe at full dark, which is why Shabbos is not over until about an hour after sunset).

And unless there is some reason it is impossible (in the Shuttle, in the Arctic Circle), one uses the time of sunset wherever one happens to be.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like I'm coming for sure. [Smile]

Have a fabulous week, I'm off to camp with 13-year-olds. Wheee!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicagoans --- if I am coming in I-88 from the west (will probably say a brief hello to my sister in Naperville) -- what is the best route from I-88 to the hotel in Skokie?

I have a map from randmcnally.com, but wanted to see if you who live in the area would have a preferred route.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Blacwolve, is you driving me still an option? Remember my offer to exchange a tour of Purdue for a shuttle? Please? [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I'd probably take 88 to 294 N to Touhy to the hotel. I'm a big fan of 294. [Smile] When do you think you'll be getting into town? The traffic can be bad in the area around rush hour, so if you can, try to avoid traveling between, say, 3:30-6.

I am all for going to the Art Institute. Doesn't matter what day, as I do not observe any kind of Sabbath.

I did some quick poking around for fun & free things to do. Too bad we weren't getting together the weekend of the 21st/22nd, as that's when the Air & Water show is. But here are a fewn things I found. No links because I am at work and lazy/need to be quick:

Art in the Gardens: At Grant Park and other parks. Sounds like it is a combination of gardening, sculpture, and art. Pretty! Also, Grant Park is right next to the Art Institute. [Smile]

There's also the Gardens of the Magnificent Mile, which has a self-directed walking tour. We could tour and shop at the same time!

The (free!) Grant Park Music Festival continues until August 21st. Might be worth checking out.

The Buckingham Fountain Light/Water show is always fun. It takes place around 9:15, I believe. It's been a while since I've gone. Also, there are Fireworks at Navy Pier every Saturday at 10:15.

Millennium Park has its grand opening this month. I'd love to see it for the first time with y'all. [Big Grin] It's just north of Grant Park and the Museum Campus.

I did a search for some of the Architechtural (sp?) tours, because I've always wanted to go on one, but the riverboat ones are about $26. Yikes! Too expensive for my budget right now. [Frown]

edit: Oh, and the Lincoln Park Zoo is free! And just north of the Zoo is the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, which has a wonderful butterfly garden. Admission to the museum is about $8, I think.

When is everyone coming/leaving, anyway? I'm trying to decide which days I want to take off of work.

[ July 12, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
When is everyone coming/leaving, anyway? I'm trying to decide which days I want to take off of work.

Well, we plan to show up sometime on Friday, August 13th and leave sometime on Sunday

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what we're doing, too - coming in Friday afternoon and leaving sometime on Sunday.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm coming in early Friday, and I'll head to elsewhere (relatives and suchlike) in Chicago sometime Monday.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a ticket to come in Friday and leave Monday for about $200. I haven't bought it yet, but that seems the most likely.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be around until Tuesday, if it's OK with the boys.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am a complete moron. I go to redeem my United voucher only to discover that it expired yesterday. People at the gate and on the phone both tell me they never extend them. [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So what does that mean, Richard? You're out the ticket money?

FG

Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. It means I didn't buy a ticket, and won't unless something crazy cheap comes up. I may drive -- turns out my drive to Indianapolis last weekend put me within like 100 miles although in my mind the distances were very different -- but that's not something I can decide way in advance.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread, I was wondering if someone could re-post the following information:

How much a room is per night with four people in it.

How much the meeting room cost is per person.

Any other costs that are being divided by everyone that I just can't think of right now.

(I'm trying to figure out how much I need to save for this trip.)

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It is on the FIRST PAGE. FIRST POST.
[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
He DID say he was lazy.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Blacwolve isn't reading this is she? I need to send her an e-mail don't I?

Now that Annie is coming, I'm really going to try hard to make it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm going to buy my ticket, but I have a choice between airport MDW and airport ORD. Is there one that is closer/better than the other? Does anyone else know what airport they are flying into?

Hmm...maybe I'll look up and figure out which is closer to the hotel.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
ORD is O'Hare, the main airport. That's the one I'm flying into. I have no idea about which is closer to the hotel.

[Smile]

edit: left out no

[ July 13, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm pretty sure ORD is significantly closer.

Hobbes [Smile]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
>_<

I'm going to have to reserve the room for me, Marek, Annie, and possibly Jonny today on my check card that doesn't have enough money to cover the room right now. I hope I can do that, 'cause otherwise we'll have no room.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Someone help me. When does the hotel office open? Can I reserve a room if I don't have enough money on my card right now? Will they hold the money on my card so I can't use it?
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Email me your real name and I can call and arrange a room in your name with my credit card. Using the check card with a low balance is kind of dangerous. Just Friday and Saturday nights?

Edit to say: I need SOMEONE's real name to book the room. Don't they sometimes ask for ID?

[ July 14, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a room, right? RIGHT???? [Angst]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Speaking of rooms... if I come, who exactly am I staying with? I mean I was just planing on sleeping on someone's floor (and yes I'll pay my share).

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ah heck --- don't sweat it! We will figure it all out when we get there. I'm sure no one will go bed-less......

Farmgirl

Hobbes
Member # 433

I don't mind going bedless, it's roomless I mind...

Hobbes [Smile]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as you never sleep it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I accept that concluesion based on the intial assumption, but I would contest the validity of that postulate.

Boy do I feel chipper today. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we were planning on you crashing in our room somewhere, hobbes.

Does cyberdan know if he's coming yet?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK good, that's what I thought. [Big Grin] As soon as I get an e-mail back from Blacwolve I'll try to get my job to work out so that I can come, and check with family. [Smile]

[EDIT: Assuming that is, that Blacwolve replies in the positive. [Angst] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 14, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Theca, sorry, I fell asleep. I just emailed you. Thank you so much.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard, CyberDan's status depends on who he's talking to. I think, in the end, it's pretty likely that he'll be there. But he hasn't asked his boss for any time off work yet so he still really doesn't know.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where the Amtrak station is in relation to the hotel?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I've taken Amtrak into Naperville (Chicago suburb) but never on into Chicago itself. Sorry.

FG

perhaps -- can you look up the address of the Amtrak station, and the address of the hotel, and check out the distance on RandMcNally.com?

[ July 14, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Union Station is just west of the Loop, so pretty much in the downtown area. Skokie's further west and a bit north. There is public transportation between Union Station and the hotel, but it would likely be a few transfers. I'm trying to figure it out myself, since I will be selling my car sometime in the next week. Would be happy to meet you at the train station, if you'd like.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Blacwolve has gotten back to me and said she can still give me a ride, now I'll try and see if I can leave work in time, and get a plane ticket; but so far so good! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure whether amtrack actually goes into Skokie. If it does I'm guessing it is on the same train tracks as the Metra, and it would be about a mile ish away from the hotel, certainly not a problem to pick up someone from there. If it goes into Chicago it probably goes into Union station, and you would have to take the metra out to skokie.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Tick, are you considering a cameo? That'd be awfully cool.... And it's good to see you posting again.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Amtrak ends up $110 less for me, and since the travelling is overnight I wouldn't really care if it took longer. Thomas and my wife couldn't go so this is better than trying to fly...are there any room openings left for a dude? Or anyone with no room yet? I can't yet guarantee if I'm going but just checking...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, I have relatives in Naperville!!!

We aren't related are we?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor is the Vice President of Amtrak, and has always offered my dad free tix, so my dad and I saw him the other day and he's getting me free train tix to and from NYC, to meet up with Frisco and the gang, as well as get back to dc from NYC.

[Big Grin]

Talk about a money-saver.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR, I'm not sure why you'd reserve a room if I'm staying there since I already reserved one...but maybe there's a reason I don't know about.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
From page 8:
quote:

Member # 5715

posted July 06, 2004 08:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still looking for roommates for the room I already have reserved, be they male, female, animal, mineral, antimatter(as long as they stay on their side of the room)), whatever...

So you can relax, RRR. [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.