FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late (Page 9)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Happy Camper, now we even have people who need Roommates. You Have to come!

The other possiblity is to combine Marek and RRR and JNSB cause I'm not sure if Telperion is actually coming.

Farmgirl are you still going to be able to make it if you aren't driving with Boon?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so, so sorry. [Frown] [Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I promised to bring halvah, and I remembered to buy a bunch today. However, to ensure that it is still around in August, I hid it in the back of a high cupboard.

Someone please remind me to pack it next month!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::growls::

We STILL have yet to reserve our room, because ken wnats to see if his AAA discount is more than the discount AJ got. Unfortunately, I need KEN to do this, and he's at camp. [Grumble]

We WILL be coming, though, even if we don't get in AJ's block.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
We had 3 loaves of halvah the other day! We mixed chocolate chips in it, which David, our resident Jewish guy, said was okay, but his Indian(from the subcontinent) friend was horrified by this fact and thought we had been joking when we told her what the brown stuff was that was swirled in it.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
awwww, boon, it's not your fault.

*hug*

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I got half plain (vanilla) halvah and half marble. Chocolate and halvah are GOOD together.

One of the nummiest things I ever ate was fresh whole wheat bread covered in halvah spread and then chocolate spread. Sadly, while Israeli chocolate spread is carried by every kosher market I know, halvah spread doesn't seem to be.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ

I answered you in Boon's other thread before I saw this one...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I almost asked what halvah was made out of, and then I clicked rivka's link. Jeez - that wasn't retained. That's sort of disturbing. I wonder if I'm getting halfzeimers.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat*

It's ok, kat, I have had the same conversation with some people several times. It's like deja vu -- only different.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- has had plenty of halvah in her life
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
When I asked about the AAA discount (since we'll be there for four nights), Wendy said the KamaCon rate was better.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, that's typical. Usually, the AAA rate is a discount off of the rack rate. The rack rate is the rate given to anyone who walks into the hotel looking for a room (instead of calling ahead for a reservation.) So, since the rack rate is probably climbing as the summer wears on and the hotel fills up, the discount really isn't all that great. Also, typically, hotels do not give any more of a discount to negotiated rates.

I'm guessing this hotel has a pool, fitness center, and maybe a sauna or whirlpool and probably a continental breakfast. While most hotels claim these to be "complimentary"- they are not. A room in a hotel with these type of amenities will be more expensive than a hotel that just offers rooms and nothing else. During the summer (especially July and August) hotel rates are at their highest year-round. I would bet the rack rate at this hotel to be well over a hundred dollars for late August.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the AAA rate is usually between 10-20% off of the rack rate. While nice to have when you don't have a choice, it's really not that much in the scheme of things.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the opposite happened at Endercon -- AAA rate was better, so it's definitely worth the ask.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sort of hoping for the Hat rack rate.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Farmgirl, my dog (female, actually) has her special friends who come over and take care of her. It will either be my bosses son or our Admin director's hubby and son. They all love Smokey and she's happy because she gets about 3x the treats and double the walks as when I'm home.

She'd move in with them in a minute...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay! I'd email you my number but I don't have your address! It's a pickle wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in bacon and ham!! And that's delicious so I may have to eat it!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I just realized Rivka won't read this post for 24 hours, but if she would set up the kosher food I would greatly appreciated. If anyone else has dietary issues where they feel kosher would be better for them, please contact her.

I'll work on getting a bunch of party platters from Costco or Sams which shouldn't cost exorbitant amounts.

Also would anyone be interested in seeing the Chicago botanic garden? It is part of the Skokie Lagoons, and might be interesting for the outdoorsy types that don't want to be suffocated in the City.

AJ

P.S. Farmgirl the room you, Ivy Girl and fizako will be sharing has been reserved in your real name.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jonny, do you want to room with Marek and me?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday and I will be making our way, though we have yet to reserve our room either, I'm waiting for her schedule before I finally book.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
methinks we're going to need nametags with screennames. Otherwise I'm going to get very very confused with so many people...

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
In case there's interest, I'm beginning to check out options for da blues - there's a blues club with a good rep in nearby Evanston. A little over 6 miles and an allegedly 15 minute trip by car.

I need to research the transit options from the hotel, as there might be easy rail option to clubs or other entertainment into the city.

That being said, I'm just doing the research to give some options. I live here and don't care what we do. If it's something I want to do badly enough, I'll do it some other time. As far as I'm concerned, it's you out-of-towners that should be figuring out what your priorities are. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Jonny, do you want to room with Marek and me?
Just think how cheap it will be if both Jonny and Annie join our room.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I could be up for the botanic garden as long as it doesn't rain.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Botanic garden awesomeness would make me very happy.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me reiterate: if you leave the hotel, take the opportunity to get the heck out of Skokie. It would be like telling everyone you're visiting New York, and then finding things to see and do in New Jersey. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm there (which I'd say is an 80% probability), I am definitely leading an expedition out of Skokie and into the Art Institute. [Smile]

Ooh... maybe I can sell tickets for Annie Art Tours to finance the trip! [Cool]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, RRR, both you and Marek can room with me. [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

I have also heard things about the Fields Museum and some place called "Jazz Alley" as well as the renowned House of Blues.

Of course, if we do everything there is to do in Chicago, we'll only have like 5 minutes for each place...

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Ok I just realized Rivka won't read this post for 24 hours, but if she would set up the kosher food I would greatly appreciated. If anyone else has dietary issues where they feel kosher would be better for them, please contact her.
Happy to. [Smile] Ok, folks, if you want to be included, give a yell in the next few days. That includes any vegetarians as well.

rivka AT uclalumni DOT net

quote:
If I'm there (which I'd say is an 80% probability), I am definitely leading an expedition out of Skokie and into the Art Institute. [Smile]

Ooh... maybe I can sell tickets for Annie Art Tours to finance the trip! [Cool]

Cool, how much? Any chance that this expedition might be Sunday?
Annie
Member # 295

ooh... Field Museum... *drools*
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And I'd rather do the museum on Saturday. The price of admission is the pleasure of being in your presence.
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, then I guess I'll pass. Hope you guys have fun. [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Aw, rats. I don't want to do Sunday because it's the sabbath, and I suppose you're declining Saturday for the same reason. They really should have coordinated those better [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

*grin* "They"? [Wink]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
"We ARE They."

"AHHH!"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

They - you know, the Jewish God and the Mormon God.
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the Jewish God is a College football fan, and the Mormon God enjoys the NFL.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

frisco: [ROFL]

Annie: what?

Annie
Member # 295

Oh man- I hope the Mormon God doesn't enjoy the NFL. I'm not up for eternites of superbowl parties.
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'll bet the Mormon God will TiVo out the beer commercials--the best part of the game.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand; why would going to the Art Museum count as doing "work" of any kind? Does "work" include spending money you've earned by working on other days? If so, why doesn't paying for a hotel room on that day violate the Sabbath? Is it a travel restriction -- and, if so, can you ride in someone else's car?

[ July 11, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's not that I'm working, it's that I'm causing others to work. And more that I'm spending the day recreationally instead of devoting it to God.

And I typically don't mind travelling on Sunday if it's neccessary. Buying gas and other unavoidable expenses are typically not a problem if they're truly unavoidable.

The thing about sabbath observance is that it's a pretty personal doctrine and people will interpret it very differently.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

See, I can't personally think of a better way to be mindful of God than to be surrounded by some of the best art produced by mankind. But maybe that's me. [Frown]
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, according to Judaism, both handling money and riding in a car are not permitted on Shabbat.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, I think it's the getting there and paying for admission, not the act itself. But rivka and ela would know for sure.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I suppose I could see the paying money thing -- although I don't understand how paying for the hotel wouldn't also be proscribed -- but why is riding in a car ungodly?

For that matter, the Art Institute's admission fee is one of those optional "donations," so you don't actually have to pay money -- and it used to be waived altogether on Saturdays, back in the day. So if you lived in the area and could walk to the Art Institute, and didn't pay the admission fee, would that be okay?

I know I'm nitpicking. I'm just trying to understand blanket proscriptions like this....

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

Hey umm...Tom? How are you and Christy getting down there? Any chance of passing Beloit on 90?
Satyagraha

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.