FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late (Page 8)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Kama Con Official Info -!New! Hotel Preview pg 13 - You can still call late
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I wonder how I missed any info on this shindig the first time around. So there's a small amount of time left for me to make a decision if I can come or not? Because it does sound like fun; all I'd need is a ride. And a room. But first, can I still come?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can still come!!!! The more the merrier. All of the basic info is on the first page of this thread. If flying there are to airports, O'Hare and Midway in the Chicago area. Transportation will be arranged from each one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw we are up to 10 rooms. I just called Wendy. And I know there are more that have yet to reserve. Now each time you reserve, we are theoretically dropping the $150 that I've already paid and I might actually get refunded. If we get up to 20 rooms (well I can dream) then our hospitality room is free.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, you weren't thinking you're the one paying for the hospitality room by yourself, were you? No - we count heads the first night, figure out how much it is going to be, and if we owe anything for the room we split it among everyone there. You will DEFINITELY get refunded, if not by the hotel then by the KamaConners.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely! In fact, if it would help relieve some of your stress, AJ, I'd be more than happy to paypal it right now. There is NO reason you should be fronting all the costs, as well as making all the arrangements!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

No I figured we'd tally up how much I actually paid and divide it among those who are able to contribute. (Like Kama isn't allowed contribute for one) But if they start refunding me than everyone's overall contribution declines.

Rivka give me a couple of weeks to figure out the catering situation and I might take you up on your offer.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
We got our reservation in on Friday afternoon! Anyone want to split the room with us?

*looks around expectantly*

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who missed it:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=025662

T-shirt orders are now being taken. And I now understand how AJ feels... I'm sorry I didn't reserve our room sooner. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Give me another day and I'll start working out the food situation.

Would a combination of catered kosher/vegetarian and Sam's Club cold cuts be acceptable to everyone? And how many meals do you guys think I actually need to plan for? I know people want to go out to try places too.

Also are there going to be any "structured" activities or not?

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug* Thanks, AJ. Would it help if I made the arrangements with kosher catering places? Or have you already done most of that?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have a couple of names from Wendy that I know were on your approved lists as well. I think we discussed it before. I'd like to get an idea of the number of people who would choose to eat kosher or vegan, and the number of people who don't care, before I make any firm decisions.

I also think we need to decide what meals will be "in" and which ones will be "out" before making decisions as well.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m in favor of the “people who want structured activities are in charge of planning them” style of organization. How about we plan to hang out at the hotel on Friday, and have supper available to graze on since people will be arriving at various times. And while we’re hanging out and grazing we can make more structured plans for Saturday and Sunday if we so choose.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I have a couple of names from Wendy that I know were on your approved lists as well. I think we discussed it before.
Yup. And I think they were the same ones that the kosher-Chicagoans I spoke to on another forum said had good food. [Smile]

I plan on eating at the hotel Friday night and Saturday lunch. If we do that as a group, great; if not, I originally had every expectation that I would be making those arrangements for just me, possibly a few others. And I would be happy to take care of the kosher/vegetarian part.

Lime
Member # 1707

Eating at the hotel Friday night and Saturday lunch sound like a good idea to me. I'm in favor of getting everyone that's left together for a restaurant dinner Saturday night, if there are enough interested.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to get as far away from the hotel for food as possible. There's absolutely no excuse for being within twenty minutes of Chicago and only eating at ONE of its restaurants. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, Tom. Though dinner Friday/lunch Saturday at the hotel sounds good, especially if everyone is going to be arriving that day.

So... where do you all want to go for pizza? We ARE going to go out for pizza sometime, right? I mean, this is CHICAGO. There's Gino's East, and Pizzeria Uno, and Connie's, and Giordano's, and a whole lot more.

I really like Uno's, and I don't get a chance to have them often due to their location (just north of the Loop), but it's a small joint and not very good for a crowd. I could call them and see if they have party facilities, though, or the ability to handle a larger crowd. Gino's is another favorite, though I've never been to the one downtown.

Oh, heck, they're ALL good! Really, I'd be happy to go to any. So I'll leave the decision up to the out-of-towners.

*hasn't had REAL pizza in months (not even from a neighborhood joint!) and is craving it mucho*

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Heck, that works for me too. I'm up for both. Either. Ok, so I lie: eating out would probably be a better and more fun filled option.

So, in summary: eating is good, Dan like eating, friends are good, Dan like eating with friends. Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm going to go read a book.

(I have to stop trying to make simple decisions this late in a 12 hour shift. They require just enough brainpower to put my brain in neutral.)

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I interrupt this thread to bring you the following announcement:

Olivet's jealousy has turned to acid, and she is now a smoldering puddle of goo with some hair trailing out of it.

That is all.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried to reach Wendy, but I must've been too late. I'll call her tomorrow from work.

But I'll definitely reserve a room tomorrow.

- Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still looking for roommates for the room I already have reserved, be they male, female, animal, mineral, antimatter(as long as they stay on their side of the room)), whatever...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dang! If Olivia has become a pile of goo, I will NEVER get to meet her! [Frown]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

the anoymous donor was wondering how you would feel JNSB about rooming with Teleperion, provided he is serious about coming.

AJ

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can be almost certain that I'm going, because my mom talked about Kamacon as something I was going to go to this summer. I think my show of good faith in asking her to meet ElJay was really all we needed. :3 Call me at some point, LJ!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't figured out a rooming situation. I do want to come and have the means to do so. If, for some reason, I cannot make it, I'll still pay for my room&tax.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, AJ. Telperion can room with me. I'm pretty liberal and very secure in my sexuality. [Smile]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, I checked train tickets, and they're $160 but they're all sold out for the relevant dates, so unless we find some really cheap on-line fares it looks like we're driving. Which is fine.

I can't call you, you haven't sent me your phone number yet. [Razz] Do so, please, and I'll give you a ring.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Irony of ironies.....

I just got informed that my company is SENDING me to Chicago, all travel, etc. PAID by company......

..however, it is in OCTOBER. (For Training)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Primal Curve, I'd reccommend Telperion and JNSB as roomie canidates.

AJ

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What did you ever decide in terms of Kamacon, FarmGirl? I think I lost track of the thread in which we were discussing it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, while we're at it, just where are you at with KamaCon, Noemon? [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, who wants to convince Mike that he wants to come (and yes, Mike is talking about himself in the third person)? I've been waffling on it for the last couple of months I think. Here's the thing. It's a pretty good hike, and I probably will want to drive, roughly 8.5 hours. I've got plenty of vacation I can take, so that wouldn't be a problem. Here's the other thing. I'm going to be in Chicago again the following weekend for a wedding, and I'm not sure I really want to make that trip twice in such quick succession. Oh, and I've got money, so paying for a room would be no problem either. Oh, and the whole concept of cons frightens me. It's like giving in to the dark side. So. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

-Mike

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going. You just needed someone to tell you what you had decided.

Have fun!

Kwea

[ July 07, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, it's still pretty up in the air whether I'll be in the country at that point. If I am, and if time and finances allow (this new house thing is consuming massive amounts of both my time and my money), I'll be there. I probably won't have a firm idea until the very last minute though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have met Mike, thus, Mike is coming, if only to cut down the percentages of people I haven't met.

*wipes hands*

There, everything's taken care of, moving on...

Oh, and AJ, I do have room, right? I periodically wake up with this nightmare where there's some sort of miscommunication, and I can't go because there isn't a room for me. [Angst]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yes, you have a room blacwolve.

Happy Camper you need to come just so I can tease my Steve about sexy Civil Engineers.
[Wink]

Plus I'm more likely to get him to poke his nose into the hatrack madness and come to the dark side himself if he knows there's someone he can discuss soils and rocks with in a pinch.

And if you have enough vacation why not take the whole week and see Chicago or go campin and hiking up in Wisconsin and not make two trips? (or is the gap between the wedding and Kama Con more than a week?)

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I've been trying to convince cyruseh to come too.

AJ

Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, that'd be fun. I've always wanted to meet him.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Mike -- if you have plenty of vacation, why don't you just stay the entire week BETWEEN the two weekends, so you don't have to drive home?

Noemon -- we're coming if you are. [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] can't go...
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Sounds good FarmGirl. You won't know what you're planning to do until the last moment though.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to send Marek a picture of my head glued to a Popsicle stick to carry around at the con, so I can be there. He can speak for me.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well, I don't think I can do the whole week thing. While I do have enough vacation to swing it, it would leave my reserve fairly low and I never know when I'll need a little extra. I might take one more day and fly the second time, though I'm not sure about that. That's probably the best I can do (assuming I break down and go).

Oh, and blacwolve hit on the proper method to get me to come. Appeal to my chivalrous/ helpful nature, and I just can't resist (assuming it's possible at all) [Smile] .

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

How much vacation does the goverment give you per year anyway? Steve gets a heck of a lot more than I do. I'd whine more but I do like my job

I get 2 weeks-10 working days/ year I've used 7 already. One for my week in St Louis at the dog show and 2 this last week for my friends wedding. I'm going to take Friday for Kama Con. so then I'll be at 8. I wish I could take Thursday too but I just don't think it is going to happen. Those last two days have to last me until April 7th of next year, cause they reset from your hire anniversary date.

And I don't get 3 weeks until I've been with the company 6 years.

AJ

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Well, the federal government gives you 13 days per year for the first 3 years, then 19.5 (6 hours every 2 weeks as opposed to 4) for the next 12 years, then 26 after that. And that's in addition to the 13 federal holidays we get each year. It's a pretty good deal, if I do say so myself. [Smile]
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Sveta will be more interesting than me, despite the whole being a picture glued to a popsicle stick thing. [Cool]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with Wendy today. I have reserved a room. I'll be traveling under an assumed identity. I'm leaving the _(underscore) at home.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Bringing your dog, Bob?

Really -- who takes care of him when you're not there?

FG

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Boon's not going ( [Frown] [Frown] ) Marek and I are going to need another roommate if I'm going to be able to afford a hotel room.

[ July 08, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.