FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hell Froze Over (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Hell Froze Over
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
On May 29th, 2004 at 5 p.m., I will be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
No effing way!!!

Really???!!!

Hell didn't just freeze over. It turned upside down and emptied out, and now we have to start over putting everyone back in.

Sheesh!

Edit: Um...congrats. Sorry. I should've expressed happiness for you finding a spiritual direction and all that. I have the utmost admiration for the LDS in general and while I can't imagine ever joining their particular denomination (for reasons most people here can certainly guess), I do think it's a fine place to find God and fellowship.

So, sorry I was so shocked at the outset, but really, I'm happy for you.

Where are you going to go on your mission trip? You owe one right from the start, don't you?

[ May 20, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! So I suppose everyone down there is drinking ice water now, too. Congrats on your decision, Mack.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

*looks around* is it getting colder in here?

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Jamie, you are no good at keeping a secret. [Wink]

Congratulations on finding your Way!

*hugs using protective gear and having gotten my rabies vaccination in preparation for such a perilous adventure*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
But, doesn't that mean you're not allowed to flip people off any more?

Mormons demand a lot you know.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

Oh, yeah, I knew that's what it was...

(nope, never would've guessed it in a million years.)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to suspect that there's either a conspiracy to baptize all jatraqueros or a conspiracy to make everyone believe that all jatraqueros are getting baptized.

Or maybe they're all just telling the truth.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, mack. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. First Jeff, now Jamie...

Out of interest, dude, why? I thought you took issue with the wackiness of the Catholic Church -- are you really ready to believe the far less mainstream wackiness of the LDS church?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm starting to suspect that there's either a conspiracy to baptize all jatraqueros or a conspiracy to make everyone believe that all jatraqueros are getting baptized.

I'm getting slightly concerned. If you hear of Australian LDS conversions rising in the near future then you know it's TRUE!

Though I do think Tony and I are pretty safe bets not to go.

On a more serious note - Congratulations Mack. I hope this move brings you happiness and you find whatever it is that you are seeking. All the very best.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Lalo, first Jeff, then Hobbes, then Taalcon (actually, not sure about the order), now Jamie. There is definately something in the wenchcon water.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

Congratulations Jamie!

Just, wow.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm posting this for Dave, since he's busy with his family. He had a suggestion for a revised WenchCon motto:

"Come for the food and drink, stay for the fellowship, leave questioning everything you thought you knew."

Added: Jeff (Rakeesh), Hobbes (Hobbes), and Dave (Taalcon) were all baptized in February.

[ May 20, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulation Mack. [Smile]

<--*Most surprised, but at least as pleased for you* [Cool]

[EDIT: If everyone was baptized in February then I was probably first since I got wet on the 1st [Cool] Ohh, and I love the "Hobbes (Hobbes)" [Smile] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ May 20, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, mack! Hell is still heating up. The church officially kicked me out in April. I have it in writing and everything - my name is stricken from the list and my baptism is revoked.

[Evil Laugh]

My pastor laughed, too, and they did an affirmation of baptism during services for Easter Vigil, so it's all good.

Congratulations. May you find the peace and joy you have been seeking. (((mack)))

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
0_o Never in a million years would I have guessed that. [Smile] But congrats!!

Even though it's making my friends' claim of me hanging out in a Mormon Forum even more true...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to start recruiting agnostics, apparently.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If only to even things up. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, weren't you doing that already?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this feeling....

((((Jamie))))

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
This whole trend [and let's not forget that ak was one of the pioneers of the thing] has given me pause. Clearly I've been going about this all wrong. Instead of trying to induce Mormons to be more cool, I should focus on getting cool people to become Mormons.

All the best to all four of you -- but esp. to mack. Remember: I only tease those I love [Wink] .

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, rivka, I wasn't. I was merely being unapologetically agnostic. Being EVANGELICALLY agnostic is something altogether different, I suspect. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*was in the know*

Congrats, mack. I'm very happy you have found a place you feel comfortable.

and uh....sorry about this:

(((((mack)))))

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Se--

Oh! Nevermind.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD, isn't it against the rules to do that, evangelically?

Wait, that's the whole point of being agnostics, there AREN'T any rules....lol

Nevermind....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Oh, and Tom, how do you go about recruiting agnostics?

"Come, join us!"

"What do you believe?"

"We don't know."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being EVANGELICALLY agnostic is something altogether different, I suspect.
"We don't know if there is a God, and NEITHER DO YOU!"

[Confused] [No No] [Razz]

[ May 20, 2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, congrats, mackillian! They finally got you too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts on pig costume*

*hooks wires to harness and tests tension*

*does a couple test flaps*

*signals backstage crew*

"lemme fly"

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, mack. I think that's so cool.

But you are wrong, ya know. Hell's not freezing over. I'm still wearing shorts here. [Razz]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
ZING!!!

"I CAN - snort - FLY! - snort"

kudos mack.

[Smile]

fallow

PS Larisse, are those daisy dukes yer wearin'?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Had to pop in and say congrats! [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're happier with this religion then the previous.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, this is great! Congratulations! And belated congratulations to Dave too! I just now realized that's what you were talking about in your thread about how cold baptismal fonts are. [Smile]

Welcome to the church! I'm so happy for both of you!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!] [Confused] [Dont Know]

This isn't a joke, is it?

I would never have guessed you were the type, Mack.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> Mabus, what is "the type"?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, AK...I just didn't think Jamie was it.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that too Anne Kate. [Confused]

I almost joined the LDS church too, and I never thought there was a "type".

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats mack! Religion can be very fulfilling and helpful. I hope that's the experience you have.

Meanwhile, I'm over in TomDavidson's camp for the agnostics/atheists...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

mackillian: I've had zero interest in religion for two years thought I always would. Assumed so--empty, you know? Anyway, Katie sent me some links, so I went and read them, and kept reading, and stuff was sticking...which was Highly Disconcerting...

Stuff about god's purpose, god's love... things I've "known" and been told over and over by my own religion and others, and always rejected.

JNSB: why the LDS Church in particular?

mackillian: 'cause...I've been through all this crap and god must not care and must be a hateful SOB to let it continue but this time I actually believed it o_O shocked the hell out of me, so to speak. I read the whole site, so then I figured well, the book of mormon has always been an impenetrable brick to me
so why not to try to read it, have it be a brick, and then this weird stuff is done with. so I go pull the BoM off the theology book shelves, start reading....it wasn't a brick. o_O so I hid it.

JonnyNotSoBravo: dude, that's just the BoM, baby!
kill dXm: where?
mackillian: underneath the bookcase.

mackillian: then I'm totally tweaked out...spend two days tweaked. talking to dave and katie and nathan, reading OTHER stuff, finally decide, okay, well, since churches that mean nothing feel empty, i'll just go to church. I talk to the missionaries, go to church...and it isn't empty. o_O

NickMayo2: Discussions?
mackillian: and I realize (yeah...except I'm teaching half of it to them because I know so much theology)
NickMayo2: Cool. :-)

mackillian: the more I struggled against it, the more disconcerted I got. I mean, it's like you spend your whole life watching a religious train going by and you even MOON that train, then your brain decides to hop on and the rest of you is like "WTF?!?!"

NickMayo2: *gets hilarious picture*

mackillian: but then you're all whacked out, because you're in two places and the more you try to pull off the train, the worse it gets. so then you get on the train and stuff calms around you. and dust settles in your mind.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to some pics.

Be sure to take an underwater camera.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

quote:
Meanwhile, I'm over in TomDavidson's camp for the agnostics/atheists...
:/ I hate it when people group them together. Some agnostics believe in a God! Athiests do NOT. [Mad]

(is Lutheran/Agnostic)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

JonBoy, this is one jatraquera that you will never have to worry about being baptized.

Congradulations on finding a direction, Mackillian. May you walk steadfastly down this path of your own choosing.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko, could you please explain to me how it's possible to believe in God and be agnostic at the same time?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

This is the definition of agnostic.

The basic thing about agnostics is that they believe that you can never know. Therefore, even though I believe in God, I appreciate the fact that I really can't be sure, or I can't be sure at this point. Also, I don't think that anyone has the right to assume what God's will here on Earth is, and that the Bible can't necessarily be taken as written in stone. That last bit's just me, though.

Also, I can identify as Lutheran/Agnostic because I go to a Lutheran Church and appreciate the community, even if I don't share all of their beliefs. Fluid is religion, yes. My God I'm tired.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"mackillian: the more I struggled against it, the more disconcerted I got. I mean, it's like you spend your whole life watching a religious train going by and you even MOON that train, then your brain decides to hop on and the rest of you is like "WTF?!?!" "

What a perfect description, Mack.

Congratulations. I hope you can find peace.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.