FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hell Froze Over (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Hell Froze Over
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it go *click* when you take a picture?
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations mack. I go away for a week and look what happens. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
feel beholden to explain the Skittles. During the fifth discussion, the missionaries talk about tithing, which is 10% of all increase - the interpretation of that being between you and the Lord. There are lots of scriptures about the "windows of heaven opening and pouring out a blessing" when you pay tithing, which is true. To illustrate this, you take a big bag of skittles or M&Ms or whatever, and place 10 in the person's hand. "Okay, now pay tithing." They give back one, and (theoretically), in one smooth movement, the missionary pours out the bag into their hand. It's great - vivid, and you get candy. Best done at a table. To avoid the candy all over the floor phenomomon. Unless the vacuum cleaner is lonely and wants to work to distract itself because the toaster left for college.
And this works?

I mean, people actually join a group that would waste M&Ms or Skittles so wontonly?

Is NOTHING sacred?

I guess I should be glad it's not Reese's Pieces.
[Angst]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it work?

Uh, no idea.

What it IS is fun, and since it comes at the end of the discussion, it's okay to break the mood a little, and since it's the fifth discussion, you know them really well. By the fifth, they have a baptism date too, or you rarely get that far. So, you're friends, and it's memorable.

And you get to throw candy everywhere! Yay!

[ May 25, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
so you get a commitment before you discuss the payment plan?

i think i recall not buying a car from ya'll.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

AAAAND we're pulled back out of the Looking Glass. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
they mentioned something about handing over my firstborn...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Lunch has to come from somewhere.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they mentioned something about handing over my firstborn...
quote:
Lunch has to come from somewhere.
This is how nasty, ugly rumors get started.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think thats what she wanted.

We also come from Mars.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was Jupiter.

I really should study more.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Jupiter BY WAY OF Mars. That's your confusion. Mars is right on the way. Easy stopover.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings, with appropriate hand motions*

"Popcorn popping on the apricot tree..."

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Mack--I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to read everything here. I am truly very happy for you. If you ever get out to AZ I'd love to meet you in person. [Smile]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was waiting for the bus today and was perusing the flyers that littered the area when a prominant religious one caught my eye. Apparently all illnesses can be be cured naturally and painlessly by the Allmighty Creator. Things like AIDS, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. can be cured with a healthy dose of prayer.

But the one that really caught my eye was bolded and in a larger font size than the other ailments. Apparently God can make my penis bigger. I don't know what the hail mary to dong length ratio is (the flyer didn't say) but it's nice to know that a small dingle is just a test of faith. I guess this isn't a religion where men of cloth are supposed to be celibate, why waste a good tallywhacker? It'd seem ironic to give a man a good sized slip 'n slide and then not let him use it.

Sadly it seems God can't do anything for breasts. If you've got small bazoombas that's just the way God made you.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack!

Wow! I banish myself and then I come back and find out hell froze over! I want you to know, there were only four threads I read in my too temporary reprieve, and this was one of them. And I'm stunned! And happy for you.

Congratulations and I hope it is everything and more for you that it has been for me.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

quote:
You already know, Katie, that I'm not exactly thrilled about your Hatrack mission work.
Tom, what did you mean by this? That you don't like kat doing missionary work on the board itself? Are the threads in which people ask questions about LDS theology getting too numerous, you mean? (Those aren't started by kat, though.) Or you don't like her doing missionary work among hatrackers, people she met through hatrack? If that's what it means then may I ask why not? Are you thinking that people are being coerced in some way by kat's missionary work? Or are they making their own minds up? Making their own free choices? Is it people making their own minds up that you object to? That doesn't seem like you. Maybe this is just a jesting comment in passing and I am not seeing the joke or making more of it than it means. But this really puzzled me when I read it, and now a few days later it still does. Any thoughts?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you thinking that people are being coerced in some way by kat's missionary work?"

That would be a big, fat "yes." I'm sorry if it offends, but I think a forum situation like this one offers an excellent opportunity for effective but slightly coercive recruitment for ANY cause.

Edit: But, Anne Kate, you and I have a slightly different definition of "coercion" in this case, anyway. Arm-twisting and fingernail-prying are not in fact essential elements. [Smile]

[ May 27, 2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How on earth do you define coercive in such a way as to include any of Kat's posts to this forum (at least since I got here)?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Katie's posts to this forum constitute the majority of her Hatrack missionary work. [Smile]

That said, we can drop it now; there is absolutely no way I can elaborate further without offending people I care about.

[ May 27, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tom, yeah. Move it to e-mail. This is insulting for everyone.

Added: Actually, please move it to e-mail. I'm fascinated by this. I've never seen a conspiracy theory being born before.

[ May 27, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, there's no conspiracy theory involved. I'm just not a huge fan of Mormon evangelism, if only because it tends to be pervasive.
katharina
Member # 827

1. I read pervasive as persuasive. [Razz]

2. You mean on Hatrack?

3. *puzzled* How would you know what I'm like off of Hatrack?

[ May 27, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
What, no-one else was bothered by the fact that Katharina was actually telling Mack's missionaries the best way to approach her during their teaching sessions?

That's totally unfair cheating! [Eek!]

And I am just kidding, btw. At least mostly.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That is actually the secret - candy.

--

[Frown]

[ May 27, 2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That said, we can drop it now; there is absolutely no way I can elaborate further without offending people I care about.
Tom, if you feel this subject is inappropriate for open Hatrack discussion, perhaps you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL [Eek!] I didn't want to hurt your ego by not taking offense. [Wink] I mean it took you a long time to type that and no one can talk about anything except something Tom wrote pages back.

Would you please corroborate for me that it was a general comment on religious promotion and not "brought to you by the Mormons"?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

This isn't Katie's fault. Promise.

And I'm a total sucker for candy.

So whichever religion can figure out my FAVORITE...I'm so there.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a general comment on religious promotions, mormons seem very uninterested in my slub a dub. No worries.

I should really check what church they were promoting, I'll have to make sure I beat the bus (mind out of the gutter thanks) today so I can look a little more closely.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, your post made *me* laugh anyway.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FWIW, Tom 'coerced' me into reading Tad Williams, Terry Pratchett, Steven Donaldson and George R.R. Martin.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

<-- very bribable if said bribe is Godiva key lime truffles

*waits by mailbox*
Added: *and e-mailbox...*

[ May 27, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be bribable if I wasn't so easily distr--

Oh, look! A penny!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, I had a similar distractability conversation with my shrink.

Talking in his office, a quarter fell out of his pocket and rolled on the floor.

Me. "OH! Shiny!"

Shrink: [ROFL]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are all so cute!!
[Group Hug]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Dave's summation of the event:

Quarter: 25 cents. Shrink appointment: more than you'd ever like to pay for. Making your shrink burst out laughing: priceless.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Talking in his office, a quarter fell out of his pocket and rolled on the floor.

Me. "OH! Shiny!"

I'd be more surprised by the verbal capabilities of the quarter than by its shininess. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

speaking for myself, JB needs to stop being so uptight about what phrase is modifying which noun.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stop being uptight as soon as you people stop dangling your participles.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwwwww! I really didn't need to see those particular participles dangling.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Dangling participles are perfectly natural and nothing to be ashamed of.
ak
Member # 90

Ah, I think I understand a little better now, Tom, thanks! [Smile] I'm still a bit surprised that you have so little faith in Dave's and Mac's (and mine and Hobbes' and Yozhik's) own choices, and in their ability to decide to whom they want to talk and about what, and whether they really want to join any given church or not. I can't speak for the others, but I feel I am pretty stubborn and not easily coerced. Just ask my mom. I would venture to guess that about the rest of us as well. [Smile]

If they have been coerced, then what about you? Were you a little bit brainwashed into believing as you do? Should we be concerned for you? <grins>

Of course, if they gave them Godiva chocolates, then no wonder! In that case I have only one question: Where are my chocolates? [Eek!] [Mad]

[ May 27, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, ak. Tom's just jealous. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where are my chocolates?
Katharina ate them.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
What did the Hoosiers win the Rose Bowl?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Katie! <shakes fist>
katharina
Member # 827

It totally wasn't me. I'm quite shocked by the laxity of missionaries in general concerning the candy payouts. I think we need some hearings into the matter.

*surreptitiously wipes chocolate off her chin*

[ May 27, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Jon, don't make me come over there. *shakes stick*
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.