FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hell Froze Over (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Hell Froze Over
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean I don't have to eat lunch in the debate room anymore?

Thinking about it, No. This means I GET to eat lunch in the debate room. Yay!

--

Dagnabbit, I can't remember my password. And the send me my password function doesn't seem to be available on that. *hands on hips* I changed my password around the time of the appearance of the Agent Katharinas, and I don't have to log out anymore. Hmm...

[ May 23, 2004, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I'm gone to Australia for two weeks and when I come back the most unexpected things have happened at hatrack. When Yozhik and Anne Kate converted, I could see hints of it in their posts for a couple months before they announced it but Jamie you caught me totally by suprise.

Welcome. May you find joy and happines and may we all truly become the "Latter Day Saints" we have promised to be.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we could just forgo the charade, and open the dimensional gate to allow our Lizard masters feast on humanity. . .

D'oh!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. I'm a way better pawn for our Lizard masters than Scott, and I'm new!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Still with that Shiny New Member fresh scent.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm so tempted to give you a password to one of mine...or maybe one of someone elses....
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get an email telling what the password is, I have an old screenname I would mind giving up. [Smile]

EDIT: WOULDN'T heh, sorry...

[ May 23, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Damien ]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Someone try to log into KatharinaZamboni and request the password?
Damien
Member # 5611

Sent. =)
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the Lizard King...please do so, Scott.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You are NOT the lizard king.

Trust me on this one.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
?

Go check out First Wave...

Wait..the Gua are not lizards. I was thinking of V. Ah well.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Damien: Thanks. [Smile] It worked.

-----

I feel beholden to explain the Skittles. During the fifth discussion, the missionaries talk about tithing, which is 10% of all increase - the interpretation of that being between you and the Lord. There are lots of scriptures about the "windows of heaven opening and pouring out a blessing" when you pay tithing, which is true. To illustrate this, you take a big bag of skittles or M&Ms or whatever, and place 10 in the person's hand. "Okay, now pay tithing." They give back one, and (theoretically), in one smooth movement, the missionary pours out the bag into their hand. It's great - vivid, and you get candy. Best done at a table. To avoid the candy all over the floor phenomomon. Unless the vacuum cleaner is lonely and wants to work to distract itself because the toaster left for college.

[ May 24, 2004, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I got gypped. I didn't get any candy at all! Those missionaries should hand out comment-cards...
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Jamie's missionaries had never heard of it either, which is why I'm blamed because I had to call them to tell them about it. I don't think Dave got candy either. And I have to admit we didn't always do it - it depended on whether we had cash for a big bag of candy that week or not. Usually that was No. Or we forgot. Okay, we usually forgot until it was too late to prepare.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*adds "big bag on M&Ms" to the list of things to bring to the mack-Shinda* [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. That is one good missionary truc. Wish I'd thought of that one. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm thinking that agnostics need to hand out more candy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It can't hurt.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

Everyone is now required to hand out more candy, regardless of faith or religion. [/mandate] [Hat]
katharina
Member # 827

I like peanut-butter M&Ms. And key lime Godiva truffles. (Just for future reference.)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that might not be a bad way to do it, and it would even be a better metaphor:

Since tithing rarely reaps a spiritual reward in the same form as the tithe itself -- since it doesn't return Skittles for Skittles -- you might want to let someone give you a Skittle and then pour out peanut butter M&Ms, to demonstrate the difference. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, that's a great idea!
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe Tom is helping the missionaries do a better job. [Smile]

That's just... soooo... Hatrack. [ROFL]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of the candy thingy. It wouldn't work too well in some of the Filipino homes though. They'd just fall through the floor slats into the murky, germ infested water below. :-/
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Olivet: I know. I love it. Sometimes, though, the blessings are in the exact same form. Sometimes it is everything working out financially when it didn't seem possible before. I like the idea of a mix - hand back a skittle, get a combination of skittles, M&Ms, and Sour Patch Kids.

[Frown] And now I want candy. Anyone?

[ May 24, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

Tom, I said that to mack last night when she was telling me about the skittles. I said it sounded like hollywood karma where you give a begger a dollar and win the lottery.

Why are we helping?

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Because if it is going to happen, it may as well be done well?
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

it's true.

have any other missionary tricks to bounce off us experts?

edit: oh, what if the first 10 were all the same color skittle and then when you poured the bag out, that was just one of the possibilities?

[ May 24, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

katharina
Member # 827

OOOOOoooo, that would work. And that way the broke missionaries only need to buy one bag of candy.

*thinks* There's the one where you make a tower out of cups to explain what Christ's church rests on and what happens when you take away revelation. I can't remember what exactly all the cups are, though. Anyone?

advice for robots
Member # 2544

The early church leaders. Once they were gone, the church toppled.

I never liked that one.

I did use the hand in the glove to represent the body and the spirit. That one seemed fairly accurate. [Smile]

Olivetta
Member # 6456

I remember the cups. My missionaries loved playing with the cups. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm not sure it's just the church leaders. Dang it. I need to go and look.

I remember much better when it involves food.

peter the bookie
Member # 3270

I can't think "hand in glove" without following it with "the sun shines out of our behinds," and Pat isn't around to get that.

[Wall Bash]

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get candy either.

Though the missionaries did bring me some of this fruit beverage, which I was supposed to try out as a replacement for iced tea. I never got to try it, though. My spouse drank it all after mixing it with vodka. [Razz]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

My missionaries took me out to eat on my birthday. I think I paid, but still. [Wink]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't think "hand in glove" without following it with "the sun shines out of our behinds," and Pat isn't around to get that.

Don't hurt the wall. There are other fans around here besides you and Pat.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know about the paper dolls.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I got no candy! Waaah! But the relief society gave me a basket of Mormon fruit. Man was that delicious fruit. I think they must have grown it on their own fruit trees and waited to pick it until it was actually ripe or something. It sure was incredibly delicious compared to grocery store fruit!

Also I remember people telling about all the manual labor they did for investigators when they were on their missions. I had all kinds of chores lined up for the missionaries to do for me but they never offered. I thought I should get some free slave labor out of the situation, but hey, it never materialized! What's up with that?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I got nothing. What a waste of an eternal comittment. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> No joke!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave away plenty of slave labor on my mission to people who never converted. Life is simply not fair. (Which I have to admit, has been a dang good things).

[ May 24, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit: Word. [Smile] For us it was the less active members. They always seemed to have plenty for us to do.

Though I remember when we got the entire elders quorum to come clear our back lot cause the mesquitos were so bad. So I did get some manual labor as a missionary!! [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My first area, the elders lived in the very far corner from the main population of their area, which was right next to our area. So, going home for lunch was out, because of the miles on the car (missionaries can only use so many miles per month. It's not many. Like, 20 a day.)

So, they got permission to use our apartment to make lunch if we were out. That was fine, and in return, they cleaned our apartment. Just the living room/kitchen, of course, but still! Once a week, the elders cleaned the house for us!

No DL quite measured up after that.

[ May 24, 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't you on AIM?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Day, mack! and days, too. Have fun.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got to college and took a missionary preparation class at the Institute of Religion, I was shocked. I mean, those six discussions cover the gospel much better than the 15 years of primary and sunday school I had attended weekly since toddlerhood.

But I don't know about the Skittles. I guess Merrill J. Bateman, the penultimate president of BYU, was an executive at M&M/Mars. So that could explain the new "doctrine." [Wink] [Wink] (quote marks and winkeys inserted per kat's comment)

P.S. I saw the cup thing a while back. There was 12 cups at the bottom which was the apostles. Then four which was the principles and ordinances. One for the prophet. I may be missing a six level which was something... the other offices of the church? Maybe it was temples. Or the offices of the priesthood. [Wink] [Wink]

[ May 27, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
But I don't know about the Skittles. I guess Merrill J. Bateman, the penultimate president of BYU, was an executive at M&M/Mars. So that could explain the new doctrine.
Pooka, I can never tell if you're joking or not.

Just in case you're not, it's not doctrine. It's an object lesson some missionary dreamed up.

The cup thing y'all are describing is definitely different from the one we did. We didn't even use cups - we made a jigsaw puzzle out of it.

I need a digital camera.

mackillian
Member # 586

I have one. And it isn't waterproof.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.