FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spider-Man 2: Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spider-Man 2: Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
"It does ride up in the crotch a bit."
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it (don't have time to scan the whole thread), but I absolutely loved Ock's redemption scene.

Molina pulled off "I will not die a monster!" incredibly well, and I thought the whole pulling down the "sun" and dying in the process was very well done. Definitely one of my favorite movie villains to date.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anybody being passed like that just falls into a crucified position. I know I do...

The arms outstretched posture is not only symbolic of crucifixion. It's also an expression of freedom, and rage, and the size of the fish you caught. The Christ metaphor was used consciously all through the Matrix movies, but I don't think it was here.

I also don't think the movie May knows he's Spider-Man. She does know he knows Spider-Man - he had just discussed taking his pictures - and was hinting strongly so Peter could pass her words along.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The arms aren't malevolent. They're amoral. What they want Ock to do is what was the strongest in his mind after they were attached: finish his life's work. That impulse, combined with the madness that set in with his wife's death (which was also caused by his mistake) is what led Ock's own mind to add methods to the arms' motivations.
The bullets didn't miss. His arms got in the way an awful lot, though...

My problem lies with the arms having emotions at all -- what the deuce? Doc Ock could control the arms from a distance even after being detached from them, but that was because they'd become a part of his body by then, a part of his mind -- here, they had a mind of their own. It's a bit jarring.

quote:
Two reasons Pete got unmasked so much. First, we're skipping past 10 or 15 years of Spidey continuity. In the comics the Goblin knew, MJ knows, Harry knew. Ock didn't in original continuity, but does in Ultimate. It wasn't as big a deal when the unmaskings were stretched out over time, they're more noticeable in the space of two hours.
And this way we got to see Peter's face, which helped in the acting and helped make him more human.

Granted. But even so, I realize they're pressed for time, but having Spider-Man whip off his mask every two minutes sort of ruins the audience's credibility with his insistance that he needs it in the first place. In the third movie, someone from the train had better squawk, or I'll get angry. And they don't want to make me angry. They wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

quote:
As mentioned, Harry watching his dad go slowly bonkers (without realizing that's what he was watching) could lead to a subconscious hatred of that mirror that Norman kept cackling at. For all we know Harry's already broken everything else in the room during his drunken, obsessed rages and the mirror was the only thing left to throw things at.
If I can accept Rogue just happening to travel cross-freaking-country right to where Wolverine was, you can accept the mirror scene.

Heh. But with X-Men, it's possible that their meeting was coincidence -- they weren't wandering around looking for each other. If you really want to pick on the movie, point out Sabretooth just happening to be far enough up what just happens to be the right road .

As a side note, in X-3, I'm guessing Sabretooth and Toad were out doing some work for Magneto while he was incarcerated -- probably infiltrating Project: Wideawake, I'm hoping, I'm praying. That would make an impossibly excellent film.

As far as this Spider-Man scene goes, I don't buy it. It's a working explanation, but you really need to stretch to get it working -- surely there's an easier way for Harry to discover his father's secret. I've forgotten, how did he do it in the comics?

quote:
Ock's ruthlessness - it grew gradually through the movie. Worked for me. Torturing Osbourne to get the element he needed wouldn't work since harry didn't have it handy, he'd have to go get it. Ock was smart enough to know he couldn't hold a tentacle to harry's head while he went to go pick up some more at the corner store. Easier to make Harry want to do it by offering a trade and simultaneously get rid of Spider-Man.
Eh, even then. Agree to the trade, disappear for a while, then show up a few days later and torture Osborne for the material when you know he must have it on hand.

quote:
I'm guessing you're more of an X-Man fan than a Spider-Man, true? I've been a Spidey fan for more years than I'd care to count, but I lost interest in X-Men around issue 175 or so (although I do read the Ultimate series and Whedon's new book). It's not surprising that I prefer the Spidey movies. But let's be honest, here. I'm willing to see the flaws in Spidey movies, but you don't see any problems, plot holes, or miraculous conveniences in the X-Men movies? Would you like my list?
Heh. There's more than you have strength enough to write.

It's true, I'm more an X-Men fan than a Spider-Man fan, but surprisingly enough, this is without ever having a comic book to call my own (aside from one X-Men comic given to me in the third grade by a friend). I grew up on the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons, and later delved into what I've dubbed "comic novels" -- novels based on comic books. Keep in mind this started in the seventh grade.

From these, I have a fairly good working knowledge of the Marvel universe, but I'm lost when you turn to comics. I'm a huge, adoring fan of the cartoons, though -- I've gone so far as to hypothetically purchase both series off a hypothetical bidding site like E-Bay. With all honesty, I think the Spider-Man series might have been the superior of the two, but I can't decide which I prefer.

I love both, but you're right, I have a special love for the X-Men movies, if only because they've got a superior plot line. Spider-Man relies too heavily on the same formulaic crap that Harry Potter movies do -- Harry has an adventure! Harry fights a villain! Harry has another adventure! It's too Spielburg. I don't like trite villains (which I realize the X-movies have), and I don't like simplistic plots.

That said, I loved both Spider-Man movies, which is more than I can say for the X-movies. The first one was terrible. And not just due to Halle Berry's participation. I'm this nitpicky about Spider-Man 2 because I'm this insistent on utter perfection in movies about subjects I'm so reverent for.

I mean, hell, I hated the theatrical versions of both The Two Towers and The Return of the King. I enjoy the extended edition of TTT, though, and I'm hopeful that I'll love the EE:RotK. I whine because I care.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that bothered me most about the first Spiderman movie was that he kept his promise to Osborne to not tell Harry. But I was thinking about it yesterday, and I think the reason he didn't then, and doesn't in this movie, is more to do with Harry than a promise to an obviously crazed villain.

Harry is pretty vulnerable, psychologically, and craves his father's admiration. So I could see a motive where Peter doesn't want Harry to see becoming a villain as a way to fulfill that. Of course it does come back to that with the ghost in the mirror scene in Spiderman 2.

I liked the relationship between Peter and MJ more in the first one.

I tend to think the Christic theme is deliberate, since straining the arms against resistance would result in them curling up and not remaining spread after he lost consciousness.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie OK. Not as much as the first one. Stuff I liked = special effects, Dr. Octopus not being in a silly costume, people finding out who Spider-Man is, Jameson... and I actually did like the part about Parker losing his abilities when he lost confidence, but maybe that's just because I haven't watched Smallville or seen that storyline lately...

But: there were too many inconsistencies and cliches that ticked me off and annoyed me and got in the way of me really getting into the movie.

OK, letsee...

The burning building: Parker is buying a paper, and then suddenly notices a huge building on fire? (Like, a BIG fire, where almost everyone's already had time to get out, there should've been lots of screaming and sirens and he should've noticed before -- nevermind his spider powers being weak -- "hey, that building over there is on fire".)

And the fire itself is one of those Hollywood movie fires, where the whole building is on fire at once, but you can still run around inside and see stuff and not be blinded by smoke or poisoned by burning plastic and carpets, and not get turned back by the incredible heat...

OK what else...

Too many laws-of-physics violations... I can accept SOME basics, like that Parker got powers from a spider and that Dr Octopus has advanced prosthetic arms... but I can't accept too many violations of little details... like: you can't grab a falling person out of the air suddenly, without their neck getting broken, or their suffering whiplash or other bad stuff. Gwen Stacy died in the comics because she fell off a bridge, Spider-Man snagged her with his webbing to save her, but she'd fallen too far and fast and so the intense whiplash broke her neck... so there's no way he could've saved Aunt May like that in the movie. (Maybe if he'd done it with bungee-cord weblines that GRADUALLY slowed her down...)

Or: I know he's strong... but: no one can slow down a train with their feet and tear up railroad ties like that... and you can't hold on to weblines to slow down a train -- they're gonna tear out of your grip, or your arms are gonna get dislocated or torn off... and webbing stuck to the sides of buildings is just gonna tear off the bricks or paint...

OK, I'll post this much and start another post...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

OK, other stuff:

Someone operating a circular saw to saw off Octopus's appendages wouldn't have done so without using goggles. And he wouldn't go at it by just holding the blade like that -- he'd have clamped down the arm and used a rotary saw to hold the blade still so it doesn't bounce off and hit himself... and what kind of saw is going to cut off metal arms that could handle a fusion reaction?? You'd need a line like "this adamantine saw can cut through anything!"

Policemen wouldn't have fired at Dr Octopus while he was climbing a building -- bullets can go through windows and kill civilians, and they're not gonna have any accuracy without rifles...

Too many cinematic cliches -- the sudden hush when everyone stops to watch Harry slap Peter. MJ standing up Jameson at the wedding. MJ coming out of the theater, Peter watching her, he sees her new boyfriend kiss her... then suddenly MJ gets a feeling and looks over at the empty place where Peter had just been... or: at the end, Peter turning around to find MJ in the door... or, earlier, MJ suddenly appearing sitting on the step in the few seconds it took Peter to take out on the garbage... it's pretty impossible to take someone with spider powers by surprise like that... and it's such a movie cliche too (usually a horror movie one)...

Or: the lab demonstration that goes wrong... in front of tons of witnesses... no savvy scientist or PR person would let this happen. If a PR demonstration DOES go wrong, you have to have some kind of explanation, like, "But it worked fine before in the tests! It was only because that butterfly strayed into the beam!"

Or there's little things that could've been explained better. Harry's a 20-year-old-guy who was failing high school, and here he's heading up the Special Projects division of OsCorp? A line to explain this, like "I'll show those guys who think I just got this job because of my dad," would've been nice...

Or, what's Parker doing studying physics?? He's more of a biochem guy. He's brilliant, but he doesn't have the time to be studying nuclear physics...

OK, last peeve = yet another story about a scientist trying to come up with a new energy source. I've just seen that one way too much... I think writers use this one too much because it gives them a chance to set up an explosion that can blow up a city... how about having just let Octavius be a guy who was researching prosthetics? That's a valuable enough technology right there...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olorinate
Member # 1561

- posted      Profile for Olorinate   Email Olorinate         Edit/Delete Post 
This is in response to an email I got from a friend, complaining about how goofy the whole AI thing was. I thought you guys might enjoy it, and then I discovered that was the topic the thread is currently exploring! Cool . . . anyway, here it is:

<EMAIL>

I understand what you mean about the AI taking over Octavius' brain; it is pretty hokey. But, you know, the same sort of goofy science-warping goes on in comics all the time. I admit, I was thinking the same thing when he put on the suit: sure, you're going to create a mini-sun in a loft in Manhattan, but in order to so you've created 1) a metal that's impervious to heat and magnetism, 2) a neuromechanical interface that allows you to manipulate METAL TENTACLES, and 3) AI so intelligent that it can operate independently and efficiently using a distorted one-dimensional image as its only means of viewing the outside world. Each of these achievements alone make creating an artificial sun look like melting butter in a microwave. In the desert. In July. As the microwave sinks into magma. It wouldn't be hard, is what I'm getting at. I mean, it probably would, but who cares? Oscorp is in trouble . . . why? A tiny sun didn't work? METAL TENTACLES!

BUT! That's what comics are famous for, glossing over ridiculously impossible pretexts to achieve a relatively commonplace event: in this case, love loss. Except the guy who loses his love this time needs to have METAL TENTACLES (impervious to heat and magnetism, because tiny suns are magnetic) with artificial intelligence to help him fight Spider-man. I thought it was pretty plausible, personally.

</EMAIL>

Did any of you guys stay through all the credits at the end of the movie? I couldn't sit through any more GENERIC ROCK MUSIC (that's in the shooting script) and I had to leave, but I was hoping some of you had earplugs with you and managed to tough it out. Did anything cool happen?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
surely there's an easier way for Harry to discover his father's secret. I've forgotten, how did he do it in the comics?
After Norman "died" fighting Spider-Man, Harry found his father in the Green Goblin costume and removed it so that the authorities wouldn't know about it. Then Harry forgot (he was doing drugs at the time).

Later, the Hobgoblin, who had stumbled across the Green Goblin's stores and adopted them for his own, blackmailed Harry, threatening to release the information.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on. Spider-Man's plotline is inferior to X-Men's plotline because it's formulaic?

ALL major comic-book plotlines are by their nature formulaic to some extent; X-Men could easily be said to be among the most formulaic.

Spider-Man is formulaic in that it's got a conflicted, human hero-but it's formulaic because Spider-Man did that formula *first*.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I thin what makes Spider-Man a more powerful story than the X-Men is the underlying theme. With the X-Men, it's, "I'm different, and the thing that makes me different makes me special, and the world hates me for it."

With Spider-Man, it's, "I'm trying to be a good person. How does the presence of unearned power affect what it means to be a good person."

X-Men is about man v. man; Spidey about Man v. Himself.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Christ metaphor was used consciously all through the Matrix movies, but I don't think it was here."

Seriously? My first thought was, "Oh, PLEASE. This is just dripping with Christ, innit? Why not start playing some Andrew Lloyd Webber music while you've got us trapped in this scene?"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Someone was saying how when Peter saves the kid from the fire, then hears from the fireman about the guy on the 4th floor who died, that this is hard for Peter, because he feels that with his spider powers he could've saved the guy... that may be the best explanation, but when I saw it I actually had a different take, which was that Peter was having to accept that even when he tried to do the right thing, that he couldn't save everyone, and that this was part of what brought him back to being Spider-Man again -- that while he should be Spider-Man, that he was never going to be able to save everyone, and so that it was important for him to keep that in perspective and not knock himself out trying.

Without that perspective, he's still gonna run himself ragged -- at the end of the film, he's gotten together with MJ, but unless he paces himself and learns to accept that he can't be everywhere at once and save everyone, he's still gonna shortchange his studies and his work and his personal life...

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom and CT - okay, it may have been conscious on the part of the director. If it was it had no effect on me, I didn't even make the connection until it was pointed out here. Unlike the Matrix, where it was shoved in my face every few frames and even spawned a "spot the cross" drinking game.

Or is every person straining heroically with their arms out doomed to be a Christ metaphor from now on?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Arms straight out to the sides is not a very effective way of doing anything, so I'd say it generally is a crucifixion metaphor.

quote:
Policemen wouldn't have fired at Dr Octopus while he was climbing a building -- bullets can go through windows and kill civilians, and they're not gonna have any accuracy without rifles..
I had this same thought earlier in the scene when Spidey is being fired at by the thieves with an Uzi. great, he's going to recover some stolen property but someone is going to get hit by a bullet he dodges.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Or is every person straining heroically with their arms out doomed to be a Christ metaphor from now on?"

Every sacrificial hero who is carried, eyes closed beatifically, with their arms stretched out in unnatural stiffness, is doomed to be a Christ metaphor. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

The errant-gunfire thought occurred to me too, but at least in the comics it seems that the writers are now taking that into account. You'll at least have Spidey *say* something about all the gunfire, and usually he'll web `em up quicker.

But if that happened this time, we'd miss out on the cool web-swingin' scene and gunfight [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scene was the woman playing the violin and singing the spider man song from the old cartoon. Absolutely priceless.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right, isn't the whole Christ thing a holdover from the days when Miller did the comics? I mean, I know he did it throughout his Daredevil run, but I seem to remember some of it in Spidey as well . . .
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, I don't know who wrote them, but try Warlock sometime...
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lime (or whoever wants to answer)

What was the Evil Dead reference you mentioned was in the movie? Is Evil Dead another movie, or a story? And why did they want to include that in Spidey2?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
There are three "Evil Dead" movies. The first was Spidey director Sam Raimi's earliest cult hit, made on a shoe-string budget in the woods with unknown actors. The scene where Doc Ock's arms go nuts in the operating room is an homage to his older classic. Another ongoing homage is including Bruce Campbell, the B-movie star of all three Evil Dead movies, in both Spidey movies. In the first, he was the wrestling announcer. In the second, the snooty theatre usher.

There ya go.

[Smile]

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, "The Classic" has been in every movie Sam has made. It's Uncle Ben's car in the first and you see it parked in May's driveway in the second.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Guess I should rent the classic just to see the stuff. But I don't do horror movies too well...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

Then you might want to avoid the first Evil Dead movie. It is a genuinely creepy and scary movie. The second one, though very scary at points, has a lot more of Raimi's trademark humor and the last one could barely be called horror. It is more screwball fantasy action...er...thingy. Still a lot of fun, though. Forgot about the Car! Thanks, BtL! Yah, that is another ongoing homage. Cool.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, find If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. It has the whole story, and the book is hilarious. I loved it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

Speaking of "The Car," I was wondering why Aunt May would keep the old thing? In the first movie, it was the place where Ben was mortally wounded and then was driven into wall at amazing fast speed. The roof is riddled with bullet holes from where the perp shot at Spidey and the hood has Spidey feet indentations and the windshield was busted out. Such memories! [Smile] He would have been fine having the car in the dream sequence where Pete talked to his uncle about giving up the Spidey mask. Having May keep the thing would be kind of silly.
[Smile]

fil

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she just went out and bought a new one? Maybe there are some *ahem* good memories of her and Ben in that kind of car. I'm sure she could pick one up for what, $100 [Wink]

And I second Kat's post. His autobiography was a wonderful read. He sounds like he'd be a really cool guy to hang out with (a man can dream).

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Every sacrificial hero who is carried, eyes closed beatifically, with their arms stretched out in unnatural stiffness, is doomed to be a Christ metaphor.
Don't forget the wound in his side! Heck, I'm surprised that he didn't take three days to recover from stopping the train.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl: fil's got it covered. I personally only saw the first two Evil Deads after having read a paper concerning them, and how they go about breaking a lot of the tried and true rules/traditions of the horror genre. They were really goofy (and the first one was completely disturbing), but they were intelligent as well.

The third, Army of Darkness, should be required viewing. You don't even have to have seen the first two - just accept the situation as explained in the intro and have fun with it. [Big Grin]

And I'm gonna go buy Bruce's book this week. I've been putting that read off for way too long.

[ July 06, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the movie.

#1 - I loved the scene where Aunt May tells Peter about how great of a Hero she finds Spider-man. (this sends my Jedi senses to think Aunt may KNOWS. Much like Mary Jane did)

#2 - I also loved Spiderman's Jesus thing where he was all crossed up, stopped the train, and then the people caught him and set him down.

#3 At the End, when Peter parker in his costume, turns to see MAry Jane. That was AWESOME.

#4 "Go get them Tiger" - favorite line of the movie.

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the movie last night. Loved it! I do think that some of the emotional scenes tarried just a bit too long on the screen and didn't *quite* work as perfectly as they could have, but I forgave that flaw.

Also, bad science. Bad, bad science. But as has been said, what do you expect from a comic book film? They are always based on bad science and you just can't get around that. So again, forgiven.

MJ being shallow? Yes and no. Peter himself isn't the deepest of people. But both of them are learning. People in progress, both with great potential. Again, no argument with me there.

Side note on the upside-down kiss, we are not told what is going through her mind, but I think she was trying to recreate that magical moment with Spiderman, and that she is beginning to wonder about the Peter-Spidy connection. (In fact, I thought she had figured it out at the end of the first film when they kissed--that it made her think of Spiderman. Apparently I was wrong.)

I guess I find it romantic that you can recognize someone by their kiss. [Smile] I think that is where she was going when she said, "Kiss me. I need to know something," and one of the reasons why Peter was so hesitant. I think he knew what she was suspecting also. But there isn't enough evidence in the movie to say for sure.

I have never read a Spiderman comic, and I feel like I am missing out because of it. But what was the deal with him falling from buildings *three times* and surviving? Is he really that durable? (For my answer, I just need to remember the train scene.) But, man! That boy can take a beating.

Y'all know I am a sucker for noble geeks and underdogs. Peter/Spidy is *so* my kind of hero. (There was a bit of that with the 1978 Superman movie too, but not as much.) IMO, the Spiderman movies are by far the best comic book movies ever made. But that is because I put far more importance on the story than the action. The stories in these movies sticks with me like no other comic book movie ever has. (The first Batman and X men movies come close though.)

Edit: Huh. I didn't even *think* of the Christ metaphor until reading the idea here. I just figured his arms were stretched out to the sides because of the circumstances. But now that I think of it, that imagery may have been very much intended.

[ July 24, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the movie last week, but haven't had time to post about it.

It's AWESOME !

Forget the scientific stuff, I'd forgive them for this anytime provided I get a good story ! I'm not seeing a documentary, I'm seeing a super-hero / love story.

As beverly (and others before her) said, the emotional stuff was sometimes too... obvious. But I kinda liked that: they showed the raw emotions, no inhibitions. We're so used to hide our emotions, to 'use' them discreetly, that when we see them displayed in their total splendor we're a little embarrassed.

Shallow/deep characters: They are young !!! Really young. They're not some mature, experienced people. I think they were only shown as closer to the average person of that age. How *deep* were you at 20-something ?!

All in all, I liked it. I got the feeling of it being real, or even 'more than real' sometimes. And what can I say ? I can hardly wait for the third one !

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Beverly,

I thought a lot of the same things you did, but I'm such a Spidey fan that I hardly noticed them at the time.

I don't think MJ is shallow (this isn't directed at you, beverly). Just because she's going through a cliched struggle doesn't mean she's shallow. Cliches are cliches because they happen a lot, after all.

I think the upside-down kiss thing was a mixture of love (well, a crush, really) on Spiderman. After all, he saved her life-that kind of reaction is natural. But she's not stupid, either-she was there when Peter went Spidey on Flash at school, she lived next door to him when he was practicing and making some radical lifestyle changes, too. Then as time goes on, she sees him (constantly) doing inexplicable things-disappearing suddenly, for instance. Surely the thought would have occurred to her, even if it was only the fanciful, "If only they were the same person!"

I don't think MJ is shallow: bear in mind that she decided to confess love for the lonely, geeky outcast before she knew about his dual-life. If she was shallow, surely she could've found some trophy-husband who wasn't a jackass.

The durability and falling is a bit of a problem. Now, in the comics? Yeah, he can take that sort of licking. In fact, Spider-man gets the stuffing knocked out of him regularly. His enemies are routinely stronger and more numerous than he is, and he's by himself usually. No other X-Men or Avengers or Fantastic Four. But what sets him apart-even in the super-hero / villain realm-is his determination, due to getting kicked around constantly as a kid, and his enormous guilt-complex over Uncle Ben's death. I guess you could say he's like a horse that's being whipped and spurred-that horse goes a lot further than one who isn't.

Spider-Man is my personal favorite super-hero-followed by Batman and then Wolverine. I think it's because they're all three in some measure unique, even among comic-book characters. But if you think the concept is unique now, picture how unique it was when it was first created. Superheroes weren't nerds back then. They didn't get their butts kicked in high school, and their lives didn't get constantly screwed over by their alter-ego's duty. And if a loved one died, it certainly wasn't the hero's fault.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it yesterday.
I loved it.
I love the theme of it, a simple guy with a special power trying to use it, trying to get along in the world.
It was wonderful. I loved Doctor Octopus too. I thought he was a cool character for some reason.
Later I ought to write a bit about the hero archetype and how interesting it is.
I loved the scene when the people carried him to the back of the train car and laid him down and the one guy said, "he's so young, like my son." I thought it was sweet how he risked life and limb to stop that train.

And why did he have that upside down J impression on his face?

[ August 06, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally saw the film and will indulge my inner geek to comment:

1. Wolverine versus Mystique
The tight bodysuit distracted him? Seriously, Logan is depicted as having been an expert hand-to-hand specialist long before he ever joined the X-men or got his claws. That being said, there's only so much you can do with actor limitations. [Big Grin]

2. Parker and Science
I was under the impression he was always a physics geek - I could be wrong.

3. Upcoming Villains
They have three possibles so far - Hobgoblin (Harry Osborn), John Jameson (Wolfman) and Doctor Connor (Walking Handbag and Shoes)

4. Bad Science
Well, yeah. But c'mon - this isn't meant to be reality. And I suggest you spend an afternoon on the range - the next time you see near-perfect marksmanship in a tv/movie, you'll start giggling.

5. Loss of powers
I chalked it up to physical exhaustion - and it raised an interesting question, "just how much web fluid does his body store and how fast is it refilled?" Parker was doing his best to juggle school, work and find time to indulge in his powers?

6. Mask coming off
I was a little annoyed, but I suspect they wanted to have more face-actor time for Maguire and less "Shakespeare from Godzilla" moments.

7. More movies
Given the life of the comic itself, the actors could do nothing but Spiderman movies - but I doubt any of the cast will want to limit themselves in such a manner. I suspect they will do a third film and leave the movies at three.

8. Wow, was I distracted
Apparently I missed a lot of the subtle hints in the film - which means I get to go back and watch it again. [Big Grin]

And considering I was sitting next to a bunch of kids, one "older" brother was yelling at the top of his lungs to his "younger" sister - "Don't worry, <this> happens...". I think the kid would have been lucky if all I threw was a gatorade bottle.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
5. Loss of powers
I chalked it up to physical exhaustion - and it raised an interesting question, "just how much web fluid does his body store and how fast is it refilled?" Parker was doing his best to juggle school, work and find time to indulge in his powers?

I like this point. I am going to decide to think of it this way, even if the movie makers didn't intend or communicate it. Bravo for bringing this idea to light!
quote:
I suspect they will do a third film and leave the movies at three.
Three is a good number. They ought to leave it at three. After all, if they try to drag it out forever, we all know it will just go down hill. It is some natural law of entertainment.

[ August 07, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, very very few spoilers on Spiderman 3.

http://www.superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1758

Also:

http://www.superherohype.com/spider-man/index.php?id=1743

[ August 07, 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.