FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question to the women, about musical men. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Question to the women, about musical men.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Successful accountants are boring.
What if a successful accountant also happens to be a talented athlete on the side? Does that make him more desireable?

I dunno, I don't see music as being special in this regard. Maybe it's because I've never dated a musician. Perhaps I should append that to my list of things to do... [Razz]

quote:
Twink -- how often have you heard of a guy attracting a girl with his 1337 math skills?
Well... never, I suppose. I guess music is my only hope, then. [Frown]

quote:
Sadly it doesn't work the other way around. If you are a girl with good math skills, and they find out that you can do partial differential equations, most guys turn and run, not walk the other direction.
It doesn't have to be PDEs, but I really like to be challenged. If I have to work to keep up, I'm interested. There were some women at engineering school with me who were, well, brilliant. But I wasn't allowed to date any of them, even if they had wanted to date me. And they should have wanted to date me! I was a musician in addition to being in engineering school! I can serenade! I can even play classical music, if the woman in question prefers it! See, there goes the whole argument. If musicians were really so magnetic, I would never be single. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the whole plot of the Resident Evil movies centered around sexy biochemists?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had a fun time internally with the "friend" vs. " having a crush" bit, but survived.

*nervous vomiting*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, is this the guy your grandma thought was "the PITS?" The one who wasn't a Christian but whom you liked anyway? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm. Sexy bio-chemists.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*bing* yup Tom, because while he's one of the most devout Catholics I know, Catholics aren't Christians.

(Got a new grandma letter today btw, but its fairly benign)

Twinky were you not allowed to date other engineers at your school? Why couldn't you date a female engineer?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Depending on their instrument, musicians are either good with their hands, or good with their mouths.
Sooooo.... ummmm.... everybody took this as a joke? 'Cause my answer would be quite similar.

Guitar players, in particular, while they are playing, when you (and by "you" here I am referring to "me") watch their hands moving over the guitar you can't really help but think about what those hands would feel like touching you. Especially classical or jazz guitar, and especially they ones who are intense and look like they are really concentrating on the music and the instrument. Same goes for upright bass, some piano players... not so much brass or woodwinds, 'cause the hands pretty much stay in the same place and press keys.

As a former saxaphonist, we always used to argue with the trumpet players about if brass or woodwind players were the better kissers. I never noticed a difference, although my research has not been definitive.

So, yeah, anyway. Musicians are sexy. But frequently not worth the mental anguish. No offense intended to any hatrack muscians, I'm sure you're the exception. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a woman, but I'll share my opinion anyway: I think Beverly, Maureen, and Jenny have it right.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*records for future reference*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can play the opening to Paint it Black, Aqualung, and Sunshine of your Love.
No Stairway? Deeeeenied! [Smile]

Seriously, though, I've always had an attraction for guitarists but never really thought about why that was. Maybe something to do with lithe hands? <eg>

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, Goody. My husband has been learning "Stairway to Heaven" for over a year. He is, I might add, NOT sexy when playing it. Not at all. When I mention the possibility that he might learn an easier song, being a total beginner, he just says that he will be the best guitar player in the world when he learns the whole song.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please, Goody. My husband has been learning "Stairway to Heaven" for over a year. He is, I might add, NOT sexy when playing it. Not at all. When I mention the possibility that he might learn an easier song, being a total beginner, he just says that he will be the best guitar player in the world when he learns the whole song.
Actually, I was quoting "Wayne's World", Elizabeth. [Smile]

I think that particular intro is overrated LOL no matter how complex it may be. And I've got a really negative "thing" about it because my ex spent waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time trying to learn that <bleeped> song.

Goody

[ August 30, 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Twinky were you not allowed to date other engineers at your school? Why couldn't you date a female engineer?
I had a rule about that sort of thing, which I tried to talk myself into breaking a great many times but never quite succeded.

quote:
Guitar players, in particular, while they are playing, when you (and by "you" here I am referring to "me") watch their hands moving over the guitar you can't really help but think about what those hands would feel like touching you. Especially classical or jazz guitar, and especially they ones who are intense and look like they are really concentrating on the music and the instrument. Same goes for upright bass, some piano players... not so much brass or woodwinds, 'cause the hands pretty much stay in the same place and press keys.
That's the sexiest thing I've ever read on Hatrack.

(In a good way, don't worry. [Smile] )

I agree with it, too. I feel the same way about female musicians, especially pianists.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Stairway? Deeeeenied!
Actually, I can play most of the instrumental lead in. Or I could 3 years ago - I'd need a day to pick it back up.

Now if only I could remember how to play "Back in Black."

Of course, I still don't know any song all the way through.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take a dancer over a musician 6 days a week and twice on Sundays. But then, I've always been more fascinated by movement than music.

And Synth is officially on my cool list. I'll send her a "BtL thinks I'm cool! [Smile] " button and everything. The newsletter is bimonthly. She just needs to remember that biochemist isn't hyphenated.

Edit: And I need to remember how to spell "hyphenated".

[ August 30, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Dancers win too. Good point.
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
That's the sexiest thing I've ever read on Hatrack.

(In a good way, don't worry. )

Thank you. And how could that possibly be taken in a bad way? [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I don't know, but I like you so I wanted to be sure I wouldn't be misconstrued. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah, okay. No worries.
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's this sort of ancient chilvary about a man who will play an instrument for a woman--or even better, one who requests lessons from one.
I agree with the first part, but I've had guys "request" piano lessons after hearing me play, and I found it to be a real turn off, perhaps because I knew they had no real interest in learning to play. I guess it depends on the situation.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I spent plenty of time with the musician lads and plenty of time with the recording engineers.

The musicians don't stand a snowball's chance in Hades - those engineers were far more multidimensional and talented in every way that counted . . . (sighs deeply in happy remembrance)

Beren! [No No] You shock me! What instrument do you play??? [Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to sing (and most people believe I do it well). I (at least from college and beyond) believed I would marry (or at least wanted to marry) someone who played guitar. That way we can make music together. Pop and I don't play/sing as often as we both would like.

Because I am a singer music is very emotional for me, and always has been. If I am really depressed I listen to Barry Manilow and it makes me cry. Singing just always lifts my mood. Of course there are those songs that are associated with events in my life that make me nostalgic or make me remember the things I learned from my bad choices. Anyway, I ramble.

Also, I am an accountant (you can ask Pop if I am boring). I am not a natural athlete, but I did run track and cross country in high school. I even made it to the varsity team in cross country. I wish I still ran, but I always need someone to make me do it.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*vouches* Mama Squirrel is not boring!

. . . then again, we don't generally discuss her job much at Shindas. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I'm generally too busy with my recording engineer duties to play an instrument. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Where is that dang "fluttery eyelashes" smilie . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually hear that about how sexy gymnast are from guys and how sexy dancers are from girls... [Dont Know]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Mmmmmmmm. Everything I said back on this thread has just been triple-reinforced.

And in case I didn't say it clearly enough:

Guitar/piano players are hot.

That is all...

rivka
Member # 4859

No, that is NOT all.

Spill!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]

Really, rivka, that was all. I just saw a really great concert tonight, and was surprised at my reaction... that these men and women that I could barely even see, because they were making such fabulous music right there in front of me, and holding the entire room (arena) in the palms of their hands... and I was completely attracted to them. It was just unbelievable.

So, sorry, no juicy gossip for you. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
not so much brass or woodwinds, 'cause the hands pretty much stay in the same place and press keys.
ELJay, think it through....

I played flute for 11 years, and while I am not very good anymore I can still play better than most of the people I went to college with....not that that is saying much... [Big Grin]

Yes, I played flute...this one time, at band camp....

(just thought I'd get it out of the way before someone else did...)

My friends would say that I was gay because I didn't play trumpet of saxaphone like they did..then we would split up into sectional rehersals, and off they would go with 45 other guys and 4 girls total...and it would be me and 32 girls in a room together. [Big Grin]

Who was gay again?

Think of it this way...I can double and triple tongue, flutter tongue, and I have very nimble fingers. Also, I can hold my breath for over 2 minutes. [Razz]

You can keep your string players.

Kwea

[ December 06, 2004, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah, but kwea, we are not talking skill, we are talking attraction. I played saxophone for a good decade, most of it on bari sax.... so I assure you, my lung capacity is at least as good as yours, and I appreciate the skills involved. But as far a visceral reaction to watching them play... woodwinds and brass will just never measure up. There isn't the body movement, the caressing of the instrument, and since you are actually blowing into something if you're lucky enough that your face isn't completely distorted you still can't have an expression on your face. Part of the attraction is the passion and concentration observed.

So, I stand by my analysis. [Taunt] Go take your flute-playing rationalizations elsewhere.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
So, sorry, no juicy gossip for you. [Smile]
Darn! Glad you had fun, though. [Big Grin]
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow I can't handle myself around musical men. they are INCREDIBLY sexy. Something about the way they hold and play a guitar [Smile]
plus for me its always intriguing to see a guy passionate about something and interested in it, I'm always drawn to them.
And of course, he may write a song for you...

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, my last boyfriend has written, to date, seven songs about me. All since we broke up. So, um, yeah, I think that part is overrated.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ElJay, actually it probably would have been Very attractive to you that he wrote songs about you -- back when he first met you, or leading up to you getting to know him. It is an attraction.

Then, once we start actually dating these musical men and find out they can be jerks, not all the music in the world can shift our opinions. [Big Grin]

Kind of like songbirds in nature. The music (call) brings in the females in. But it would take more than that to keep 'em there.... [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Suddenly the guitar I'd already requested for Christmas this year is taking on all sorts of possibilities. Wonder if I can master a few ballads by WenchCon...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

FG -- The way I would put it is, like everything else, timing is everything. [Razz]
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
OK something about musicians ( and I am one) ...they have rhythm! That in itself says alot, but I agree with Eljay that there is something about men who play guitar or piano. I went to college with a guy named Jesse... who transfered to Manhattan School of Music as jazz pianist. I called him "Mister Magic Fingers" (we were nothing more than friends) because of the way his fingers moved when he was playing. I could watch him for hours even if all he was doing was playing scaled. It was very intriguing and, for someone who liked him that way, was probably a major turn on !

I play piano. I play woodwinds, and brass (years in drum corps and elementary band and jazz band), but my main instrument in high school (other than my voice) wasn't just one....I was a percussionist (the guys in the section were referred to as dummers). There is just something about a man that can keep up a good rhythm. They may not have an brain cells that work without external stimulus ( at least the ones I went to school with didn't), but they had great rhythm, and that is extremely important. No matter what anyone says...that's what it comes down to... well, that and the caressing the instrument thing. [Evil]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Song written for girl (or song dedicated to girl) != song about girl.

Just sayin', is all.

ElJay
Member # 6358

True, twinky. If he calls and sings them to my voice mail, which does that count as?
twinky
Member # 693

I'd say it doesn't matter, 'cause leaving sappy messages on an ex's voicemail is creepy.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's been my experience that women love a magic man more than they love a music man.

I got magic hands, see.

You only say this kind of crap because you know it makes me all a'flutter. [No No]

Also, I'll take a side helping of CyberDan. The Biochemicalist. Or whatever.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

!
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or whatever.
Ahhh, descriminating tases as always, ralphie.... [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
I love a woman with a beuitifull voice. Sends chills down my spine.

[ December 07, 2004, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: String ]

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R: I think that it has more to do with being a showman or having showmanship.

I have noticed that while I was learning some Magic, I got plenty more attention from women... And while I was doing magic, I was concentrating on doing magic, and not the women, only because I saw what you said did I even think about it, and now I'm starting to see very similar trends with music, or at least the musical performances I was involved in. My only problem with all of this is, I never can really tell when a woman is interested in me, because whenever I'm doing something (music or magic or anything other than dating) I'm always concentrating on what I'm doing at the moment, and that brings me back to showmanship, I personally don't think I'm the best showman, but I've noticed in retrospect that when I'm not worried about how I look or what people are thinking because I'm concentrating on making something happen at that moment, a couple of different things happen, A: It get's easier to perform / do whatever I'm doing, and B: Unless I'm making sure someone is paying attention to a certain thing (magic usually) I don't think I use the part of my brain I would usually be using, the part I use for analytical thought.

Hmm, Maybe it's that part of my brain that gets me in trouble with women? -hehehe

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
I've borrowed some drums from a friend for the past 3 months. I remembered this thread and was wondering what women thought about drummers?

Do they attract women? I know they got rhythm, but is that enough?

Like I said earlier, I'm not asking these questions to decide whether or not I'll play. I love playing and will do it regardless of the answer. It's just nice to know. It might come in handy sometime. [Big Grin]

? [Dont Know]

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a successful accountant. I guess that means I only used to be boring. There's hope for me yet!!!!

Fahim can't sing worth beans. He's off-pitch, not just flat or sharp, but by a note and a third or more. He doesn't know the tunes and couldn't hope to approach them on a windless day. And yet. . . He sings along with everything - what's on the radio, the songs in the Bollywood musicals, everything - and he does it with such gusto and fun that it's a blast!

What makes it even better is that I can sing, uhm, about as passibly well as he can. So he doesn't care that I'm butchering it as badly as him. [ROFL]

The family that squelches music together stays together. My new motto. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
? -- drummers are probably one of the most popular members of the band, as far as women attraction.

Just think - Ringo Starr. He was always my favorite Beatle.

I personally own a drum set (although I'm female) just because I wanted so badly for my son to learn drums -- that rhythm ability is just so awesome.

I don't know if playing drums alone is enough to attract women, if you are really a jerk the rest of the time. But it certainly won't hurt your love life any to play.

(although many women tend to stereotype drummers as 'wild and free' spirits that won't ever commit, etc. etc.)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.