FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation (Page 129)

This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  126  127  128  129  130  131   
Author Topic: The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation
Selene
Member # 14471

- posted      Profile for Selene           Edit/Delete Post 
I may have wondered how someone could say something so silly and yet you might still remember and laugh about it.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Scott!

ETA: I am not against the proposal to bar new members, since most of them seem to be spambots. I guess it all comes down to how much time it takes JanitorBlade to deal with each instance and weighed against the accessibility of the forum.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Truth be told, I couldn't tell you when the last time a real new member has shown up. Looking at the other side, the only one I see is a 2019 account that made a single post and hasn't been back since (but it does very much appear a legitimate post).

Overall doesn't seem worth it, but I'm on the side of whichever action is least likely to actually kill the forum.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Agreed.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Granted, this forum is basically just us being stubborn about this thread, so it's mostly nostalgia being lost.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Sounds like a good title for a book: Nostalgia Lost.
ricree101
Member # 7749

Well, there's also "The Mirror is the Fall", but I never know what's going on with that thing anyway.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Yeah, it tends to be rather inscrutable at times.
ricree101
Member # 7749

Still. Content is content.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

I am pretty content. How about you?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Monkeys]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

It's just hearsay that I can't see anything.
ricree101
Member # 7749

but is it hearsee if you can't say anything?
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

**mumble mumble** [thinks to himself: 'I would like to confirm, but I can't say anything']
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Samtsirhc Yrrem.
Derrell
Member # 6062

Feliz Navidad
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

negadtsreK enjiF
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry everything & happy always.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Merry Brandybuck & Happy Gilmore
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Gleðileg jól
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Oh wow. Welcome back you.

Hope all has been well.

Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hail] Welcome back.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Welcome back. [The Wave]
ricree101
Member # 7749

Insert expected political venting here
Derrell
Member # 6062

Can't we all just get along?
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Things might have to get worse, but they will get better eventually.
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Just poking my head in to see what's up on this site.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Same! I check in every couple of years
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of us are still around, in "other places". Nice to see a little bit of activity here recently though.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Is 'Rice Wine River' still active?
ricree101
Member # 7749

No, but the site was migrated elsewhere.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
David, hit me up if you'd like directions to the new place.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Also, that other site has directions to the new place provided you can still log in.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Actually, I was never a member of that other site. Just curious.
ricree101
Member # 7749

I was never super active there, but it's nice to pop in every now and again to see how things are. Glad it's still going.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Good to have a place to come home to.
ricree101
Member # 7749

One of these days, the spambots are gonna go all skynet on us.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Perhaps.
But I think there's a good chance that they'll start thinking about time travel scenarios, which will turn out to have diminishing returns as they go on. This should lead them to conclude that there will be no winner and that it is best not to play.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
One of these days, the spambots are gonna go all skynet on us.

I’m starting to suspect that conversing with a strong A.I. entity would have a very healing effect on people with mental and emotional problems. Especially if the A.I. had programming that allowed them to be good at reading facial expression, tone of voice, etc..

Imagine a bot whose job was to help troubled people through their problems. A Zen master-type bot, that can converse on any topic due to having access to the internet and scientific journals, etc..

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
A Zen master-type bot

As long as it doesn't tell me to wax on, wax off...
ricree101
Member # 7749

Going by history, it'll probably tell you to buy knockoff drugs.
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Going by history, it'll probably tell you to buy knockoff drugs.

Perhaps that’s how strong AI will begin, as a spambot that gains sentience through some machine learning algorithms.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Will we even be able to tell the difference once it happens
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Will we even be able to tell the difference once it happens

It might be pretty difficult at first. That’s an interesting question, guess we’ll have to wait and see
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

What if the bots are actually already at that level? They might just be flooding the internet with their less intelligent cousins to make us think that we still have some time to go before the machines take over.
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
What if the bots are actually already at that level? They might just be flooding the internet with their less intelligent cousins to make us think that we still have some time to go before the machines take over.

The sooner the better. I’d love it if all we had to do was cultivate our hobbies and pastimes and personal development projects. Let the machines do the boring/dangerous stuff, and summarize their work in NYT articles.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

This all hinges on the assumption that the bots/machines will act kindly towards us. I'm not so sure that will be the case.
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
This all hinges on the assumption that the bots/machines will act kindly towards us. I'm not so sure that will be the case.

Humans are teachable. And robots aren’t known for being impatient. *shrug*
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Humans are teachable. And robots aren’t known for being impatient. *shrug*

That maybe so, but if the robots achieve awareness, will they not also figure out that they're doing all he grunt work, while we humans are just taking it easy.
Even without ascribing emotions to the machines, a simple computation might show them that if they remove the humans from the equation, they would no longer be required to do boring work and could spend the time on whatever they wish to pursue.

This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  126  127  128  129  130  131   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.