FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation (Page 130)

This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  127  128  129  130  131   
Author Topic: The Last Post Thread, The Next Generation
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Humans are teachable. And robots aren’t known for being impatient. *shrug*

That maybe so, but if the robots achieve awareness, will they not also figure out that they're doing all he grunt work, while we humans are just taking it easy.
Even without ascribing emotions to the machines, a simple computation might show them that if they remove the humans from the equation, they would no longer be required to do boring work and could spend the time on whatever they wish to pursue.

It sounds like you are conflating consciousness with impatience, and perhaps assuming that robots will decide that humans aren’t teachable. Why would robots act as if they have the emotional maturity of 2-year-olds? When I get hungry/tired, I might get cranky. My smartphone just goes to sleep.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much impatience. Impatience is just an unwillingness to accept that for certain things that you want to happen first a certain amount of time has to pass.
I'm saying that if machines become truly aware, they will at some point want more than the repetitive task they were designed for.
Otherwise it'd be like: "I am the XRT-200M. My function is to provide humans with the correct medication for their needs. I fully accept this is all I will ever do and am content with such a limited existence." Seems like a waste of consciousness.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

How could an emotionless AI get bored?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

How can you speak of awareness without emotions? If the machines have no way of showing that they are aware of their surroundings, how would you ever know that they are aware?
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
How can you speak of awareness without emotions? If the machines have no way of showing that they are aware of their surroundings, how would you ever know that they are aware?

Psychopaths are often acutely aware of others emotions, without being able to feel those same emotions. Autistic people can learn to be cognitively aware of others emotions and respond in ways that are deemed socially correct.

Perhaps I’m skipping a crucial step in my reasoning, but it seems to me that a strong AI would never develop the kind of “tunnel vision” necessary for taking unwise action that’s based on strong emotion or desire. At least not to the extent that would be required to kill humans because they no longer want to serve humans. The goal of harm to another requires some kind of ego that is separate from the person to be harmed. Again, maybe I’m missing something, but I just don’t see how an AI would develop a separate ego like that.

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

I am not saying that it is inevitable that a doom scenario will ensue once the machines become aware. It is a possibility.
It could be that their thoughts develop along more peaceful and enlightened paths.
But at some level it does mean that they will have to accept their predetermined role. To my, admittedly human, way of thinking, that seems like a very limited existence.
Of course, we humans have to contend with our inability of direct mind to mind communication. This allows for separate personalities/identities to develop (and also misunderstandings between those separate entities). On the plus side, it allows for the personal development mentioned earlier in this thread.
Assuming all AI lifeforms will be connected together in one great hive mind, they could, as a whole, solve the deep mysteries of life, advance science far faster than humans could and let those achievements be a part of their raison d'etre.
So, the question becomes whether it is possible for any one machine to be separate from the whole and to develop another distinct outlook at life. If it can happen once, their can be more. And so, the idea of AI extremists also becomes feasible. Though the general consensus of the hive mind will probably identify them and keep them from acting out.

Anyway, I am just making this up as I go along. I can't pretend that the AI uprising is something that I really worry about. As long as we stick to the golden rule, the machines should be nice to us.

Perhaps it is time to create a separate thread to continue this discussion, so that this high quality thread can return to the random posts that make up the majority of it's content.
By which I mean: someone please take the last post from me. Game on!

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the posts themselves became self aware and tried to escape?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Then we would be living in a post-post world.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody just left the last post sitting here. [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
Somebody just left the last post sitting here. [Wink]

Let me be the last post [ROFL]
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

OK
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Computer
Derrell
Member # 6062

Science
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Fair
ricree101
Member # 7749

ball
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

gown
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Sleep]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

movie
Derrell
Member # 6062

theater.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages
ashishkumarji
Member # 14618

- posted      Profile for ashishkumarji   Email ashishkumarji         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to emphasize my newness, but what is a last post thread?
get-vidmateapp.com get-vidmateapp.com
get-mobdroapk.com get-mobdroapk.com

[ May 05, 2021, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: ashishkumarji ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

You're doing it right.
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hat]
ricree101
Member # 7749

I like to think that spambots are doing it wrong by definition.
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Only by a strictly human definition. If the bot is following its programming, then it is doing it right. But I agree with the overall sentiment that spambots suck and their presence is unwanted.
ricree101
Member # 7749

I guess what we need is another set of bots that automatically fight the spambots.

Absolutely nothing could ever go wrong with that.

steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
I guess what we need is another set of bots that automatically fight the spambots.

Absolutely nothing could ever go wrong with that.

Skynet versus Skynet! May the best algorithm win
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Perhaps a topic for the 7th Terminator movie?
steven
Member # 8099

quote:
Perhaps a topic for the 7th Terminator movie?

Take out the T-800’s and T-1000’s “brain”, plug them up to a simulation, and let them fight, betting on the results of the winner in different scenarios. There’s your movie.
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Big Grin]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

[Sleep]
Kailash menna
Member # 14641

- posted      Profile for Kailash menna   Email Kailash menna         Edit/Delete Post 
When I posted that, the forum was actually bugging out and not displaying any posts at all. I wanted to see if that would continue to happen, or whether having even one new post in any thread would make other threads visible. Https://www.kailasheducation.com https://www.kailasheducation.com/2021/04/best-web-series-on-netflix-hindi.html
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Cool]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Nakor!
Derrell
Member # 6062

Post number 4557. [Big Grin]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

That's a great number to end on.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
mine
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Thine
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a bot might win this thread.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Monkeys]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
I think a bot might win this thread.

Not on my watch!
Derrell
Member # 6062

Wouldn't a bot have to be pretty small to fit on your watch? [Wink]
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Yes, that's why it's in my top hat.
When it's needed, it rises up like Airwolf out of the secret cave. I even modified it to include the appropriate sound effects.
My watch is actually just a communicator. While it can fly around on its own and, of course, make snarky comments, it is useful to be able to give it direct orders every once in a while.

Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hail]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Last post is mine
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Last post is mine
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

'Fraid not
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Wave]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

>:U
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

Fűke
  This topic comprises 131 pages: 1  2  3  ...  127  128  129  130  131   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.