FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, Chad.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hey, Chad....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're currently experiencing a certain trial by fire because, quite frankly, you fit the traditional template of a troll: you came out of nowhere, immediately posted new threads (with inflammatory topics) without participating in old ones, and don't appear open to actual discussion.

I am, however, willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you are in fact a 30ish guy from Tooele, Utah with two kids and a passing interest in politics, I think you'll fit in just fine here -- provided that you take a deep breath, and provided that you give US a chance to adjust to YOU. [Smile]

Trust me when I say that, so far, you have said nothing we have not heard before; this is why, coupled with the troll suspicions, people were initially so dismissive of your arguments. I suspect, however, that you can defend your opinions more cogently if given the chance. The thing is, we won't GIVE you the chance if your debate style largely consists of "what I say is a FACT; if you disagree, you are a drooling idiot -- or liberal, since I use the words interchangeably" tactics. That kind of Freeper "debate" won't win you any friends or arguments here; we try -- and mostly succeed -- to maintain higher standards.

So please revisit your threads with an eye towards actual discussion, with the intent to actually PARTICIPATE instead of lecture. So far, the only thing you've said that really concerned me was your quick, defensive quip about not actually caring what any of us think; I'd like you to reconsider that.

I make you this promise: as long as you care what I think, I will treat you with respect. I think most of the forum will do the same.

[ September 20, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to decide if Stroman is really Chad's last name, or if that is simply a parody off of This

FG

nah - I take that back. That's probably his real name, because you can Switchboard it.

[ September 20, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Farmgirl, that was my first thought after reading the thread and then looking again at the nome de plume. Of course I always look at things with a word association slant.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I never knew that about you.

Dagonee
We need a sarcasm smiley.

[ September 20, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda like my knack of stating the obvious.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll also find that even people that agree with your ideas will get annoyed with you if you say things in an inflamitory way. People haven't dismissed your ideas becasue of their ideas, but we do have a habit of dismissing something that is obviously argumentative.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This whole song seems somehow appropriate
quote:
Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I
Proud 'neath heated brow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.

[ September 21, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I see no indication that Chad has actually read this thread. Perhaps if I gave it a name like "abortionist gays hate America...."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Or his name's not Chad, and he forgot that's what he said the C stood for.

Just saying.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, there is most definitely a Chad Stroman who fits the description he's given for himself. If he's a troll, he's stolen someone's identity for an alibi -- but I don't think so. I think this is the same Chad Stroman who once posted somewhere that he's been an avid reader of Tom Clancy novels since the age of five.

THAT Chad Stroman seems capable of making perfectly intelligible posts on topics he cares deeply about without insulting people who disagree with him. On the assumption that this is the same Chad Stroman, I'm willing to extend an olive branch to this guy and just figure he had an off week or something.

[ September 21, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He'd only be welcome if he either reformed his previous ways or stayed out of politics. The guy who seems to be the same guy has been banned from politics forums before, and uses as his avatar on at least one forum a pic of gore yelling with a tense look on his face while leaning forward a bit . . . with the words "HARDER BILL!!!" superimposed.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
That's ME!

Fugu has been to Joblo. Although Fugu (or whoever he was on Joblo) appears to have had a problem with my Avatar.

Funny because I haven't seen him say anything about the Bush terrorist avatar or any other anti-Bush one.

I am who I have said I am.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

BTW, I do have to say that I am at least honest with who I am on these boards.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you implying that people here aren't?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I doubt fugu posts at Joblo. It's more likely that he, like I, simply googled you.
CStroman
Member # 6872

What's your name RRR? My name's Chad, nice to meet you and you are?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am at least honest with who I am on these boards.
This inexplicably makes me very sad. [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying I'm not honest because I don't use my real name when posting here?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

No, not dishonest. Just not 100% up front.

Btw, I'm Chad, and you are? (extends hand)

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to know RRR's name, Chad. And she knows mine. It comes when a level of trust develops.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hee hee, maybe he'd approve if he knew what the RRR actually stood for.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

*snerk*
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
i might be in love with sarcastimuppet. [Kiss]
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

So does that mean I trust the people here more?

Ok her names Sarah. Hi Sarah, nice to meet you.

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
i have this funny feeling that calling her by name is going to do the opposite of winning her favor.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

It gave me a creepy stalkeresque feeling, but I realize he probably surmised "Sarah" from her email address.
the master
Member # 6788

stop reading my mind, woman!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

In all fairness, it's probably MORE creepy that I now have Chad's home address and phone number, thanks to the power of Google. All things considered, he's taken that remarkably in stride.
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
chad, do you really feel that using the name one's parents gave one makes that person more "upfront" than using a name chosen for onesself? how is one any more valid or hoest than the other?
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Frankly, I think that.
CStroman
Member # 6872

Woot now I've been called "stalkeresque" for clicking on her "profile".

I guess I could "google" it, but it's not that important for me as it appears it is for so many other posters on this board.

Now that you all know who I am, please introduce yourselves!

I'm Chad....and you all are?

kerinin
Member # 4860

why?
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
In all fairness, it's probably MORE creepy that I now have Chad's home address and phone number, thanks to the power of Google. All things considered, he's taken that remarkably in stride.
And they call me "Stalkeresque". [Eek!]
CStroman
Member # 6872

Well, it's like Clark Kent is really Superman.

Is he 100% honest as Clark Kent? No. He's superman.

I'm being honest here....

I'm Superman... [Big Grin]

Her Royal Sweekiness
Member # 5747

- posted      Profile for Her Royal Sweekiness           Edit/Delete Post 
silly silly man. I said I had a "Stalkeresque" *feeling*, which was about 70% snarkiness mixed with 30% of my overall personality. See, you're learing more about me every day!

--sarmup

I got my first [Kiss] on Hatrack! Too bad it was from Celia... [Wink]

[ September 21, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Her Royal Sweekiness ]

Posts: 59 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

my question was directed at tom, and wasn't a rebuttal to Chad

i'm kerinin, nice to meet you

the master
Member # 6788

Yes, odd that someone who's been an active and reliable member of the community, as well as someone I've met in person on more than one occasion's investigation doesn't set off alarm bells, but someone claiming to be new and yet pulling up information about us does.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmm, considering my screen name is a convolution of my actual name, as well as being very close to actual nicknames I've had in the past, I feel as if it is a very good representation of me.

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Seriously, Chad, I'm Tom. [Smile] Thanks for not being too creeped out; I just wanted to establish -- for my own sake, when deciding whether I wanted to spend any time talking to you or not -- whether you were a real human being, or just another random troll.

I'm satisfied that you're a real human being. However, I'm still very concerned about your whole "I don't care what any of you think" bit, and would like you to elaborate on that before I commit to much more conversation with you.

----

kerinin, I think the anonymity of the Internet is another way of maintaining emotional distance. By necessity, people who abandon that anonymity find it harder to maintain that distance and are therefore more likely to be "engaged" in whatever they say. This doesn't mean that they're inherently trustworthy, sensible, or likeable, mind you.

[ September 21, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I'm space opera. Have you decided to play nice yet?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm, considering my screen name is a convolution of my actual name, as well as being very close to actual nicknames I've had in the past, I feel as if it is a very good representation of me.
Um, ditto. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I really admire your efforts here with this thread. I appreciate your patience. I hope you succeed in bridging this gap--I myself do not feel inclined to make the effort at this time. Maybe later. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
I'm satisfied that you're a real human being. However, I'm still very concerned about your whole "I don't care what any of you think" bit, and would like you to elaborate on that before I commit to much more conversation with you.

That is in regards to what people opinion of me is.

Do I care whether anyone agrees with me or not? No.

Are my feelings hurt by all the personal attacks posted against me.

That's an obvious no.

I am interested in what people have to say about the topics, but I really don't give a flying leap about their personal attacks against me.

Ignorant, rude, etc. etc. Those are all some of your stated opinions of me.

Eh, all that says is the person I am talking to likes to call names and flame posts they don't agree with.

Fine. It doesn't reflect on me, it reflects on the person who posted it.

Do I care what people think about certain issues? Yes, some more than others. But I when they make it personal, you cross the line and lose the argument.

That's what I meant.

CStroman
Member # 6872

Oh and I am playing nice. The question is, have any of you realized that you weren't playing nice and are ready to as well?

I think I have been altogether supremely civil in this thread, where others have not.

Directly and indirectly.

the master
Member # 6788

Um. You say that and you say:

quote:
Eh, all that says is the person I am talking to likes to call names and flame posts they don't agree with.

Fine. It doesn't reflect on me, it reflects on the person who posted it.

You know, when you reply to such comments instead of continuing with the actual conversation, it does say something about you. If you're so indifferent to the flames, why don't you just ignore them?
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
If you're so indifferent to the flames, why don't you just ignore them?
Same question at the whole board. My answer is probably the same.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*grabs big book 'o Freud*

Chad, what was your relationship with your mother like? Did she ignore you? This could be the subconscious reason behind your attention-grabbing posting style. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Come on now Opera, be nice. I love all the "Hey be nice while I smear you" type attitude.

It's like preacing against gambling while pulling the arm on a slot machine. [Wink]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Pffft. You just have your dander up; it was a funny.

space opera

the master
Member # 6788

I hadn't noticed you flaming me. Now I'm confused. Are you trying to insult me in some way?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.