FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, Chad.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hey, Chad....
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, did you call him?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, cook a fresh fish with lots of spices. The longer the fish has been frozen, the "fishier" it is. We had perch curry last night which was great, and I hate fishy fish. Tuna is great, btw. Nothing like the smelly stuff in the can and has more of a meaty texture.

Yup, Sara, put the fish in ten to fifteen mins before you are going to serve and simmer.

SO, we're doing 7 veggie couscous tomorrow [Smile] Doc says one fish a week, though, so I'm trying really hard.

[ September 21, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops! I apologize for that one. My bad.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI they are not, technically, vegetables either.

Of course that Tomato--Fruit/Veggie debate is yet another topic that brings out trolls, name calling, and bad feelings.

Perhaps we'd best not worry about it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought sarcasmo said it was creepy until she realized that was how he'd figured it out?
You're exactly right. Except for the "sarcasmo" part... [Grumble]

I've almost forgiven my family for going to Seattle without me, going on a charter boat, and catching 200 lbs of salmon; which they barbecued at the family reunion for the next two days.

Almost.

Mmmm...ffffish.

And tomatoes, as anyone WITH A BRAIN knows, are berries. [Wink]

[ September 21, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have extensive difficulties with cooking fish.
You know, my wife was recently in Chile, and tried a fish dish there in which, she said, the meat was cooked by immersion in lemon juice, rather than by heat. I've been meaning to ask about that here for days. Anybody know anything about that? What's going on chemically that the meat would take on a "cooked" texture and flavor simply from contact with citric acid?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be ceviche... here's a description. I've got a lovely salmon tartare that follows the same principles, I'll find it and post it after work if you like.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
You just named it [Smile] Acid "cooks" the meat in a chemical reaction, just as it would "burn" your skin.

Edit: Eljay's article says it denatures the proteins specifically.

[ September 22, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting article ElJay, thanks. Do post the salmon tartare, if you've got time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course that Tomato--Fruit/Veggie debate is yet another topic that brings out trolls, name calling, and bad feelings.
This is true. I stand firmly on the side of "seeds on the inside/outside" debate and I can't tolerate the "citric acid" people. I can still love them, but I disagree with how they classify their vegetation.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, any time I see this thread, the phrase "Hatrack; 'tis a silly place," pops into my head, full with Monthy Python speech.

-Bok

EDIT: I should add that this is a good thing [Smile]

[ September 22, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Personally, I think God hates citric acid people. They're all going straight to hell. Mark my words.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Then we are all going to hell.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are making me ill with the talk of cooking fish.

I have a personal policy about food - if it breathes underwater, I don't eat it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Then we are all going to hell.
Just think--the entire species, cursed to eternal torment by an accident of chemistry.

quote:
I have a personal policy about food - if it breathes underwater, I don't eat it.
Does that include amphibians Belle?

[ September 22, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle-
I couldn't agree more!

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
12 oz. imitation crab
Nothing more inflammatory than using imitation crab.

Die, Mr. Davidson.

Die.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, real crab is rather difficult to obtain in Wisconsin. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of crabs in Wisconsin. Most of them live in Milwaukee.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends on what type of "crabs" you're talking about. [Wink]
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Imitation crab is a bit like imitation chocolate---a travesty. Of course, I sort of understand, however, if real crab is hard to get. That's when you substitute crawfish in your recipe!

Chad-- [Eek!]

[ September 22, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Jess N ]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.