FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, Chad.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hey, Chad....
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"The question is, have any of you realized that you weren't playing nice and are ready to as well?"

Chad, there is a common factor among all the people who've washed out of Hatrack -- either by being banned or basically shunned -- quickly: they all, to a man, have insisted that this is the case. None of them recognized that they were being inflammatory, and all of them insisted that they were being treated unfairly.

They may even be right. Frankly, I'm hardly the person to say. While it might be apparent to me that you've been deliberately dismissive and provocative, I might have been around too long to see how it feels from the other side. For that, you'll probably have to ask a user called Xaposert, who basically specializes in defending the indefensible.

But the simple fact is this: people who feel this way, people who act this way, do not stick around long.

I'm not going to argue whether or not your posts deserved more thoughtful replies, or whether no one made a serious attempt to discuss them on their merits. If you'd like to have this discussion, I would be glad to point out to you posts I believe you should have taken more seriously, and flaws that I perceive in your replies. (I'd also be glad to point out posts that I do think, indeed, were unfairly hostile to you.)

I will argue, however, that if you intend to stick around, the very first thing you do is get rid of the whole "no, you guys should be apologizing to me" chip that's currently on your shoulder -- not because you have no right to it, but because it's been my experience that anyone who tries to stick around with that chip in place will inevitably leave the forum under a stormcloud of doom.

You've basically walked into our living room and pissed on the couch. How should we react?

[ September 21, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I read the lack of capitalized words as being much less un-civil. I think it's a matter of convention here, as at some (though not all) other forums. "Rudeness" is a contextual thing, you know?

Hi, my name is Sara Sasse. Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sarah. Thanks!

So Tom are you saying I should apologize for my abrasiveness, but that the abrasiveness of the rest of the board is ok because.....

Let's just say. I'm here. I expect to continue to be here.

I will continue to post and try to make sure I don't call anyone IGNORANT or RUDE or any of the attacks used against me.

I admit, I called someone a Liberal.

Sorry, for the name calling.

Listen.

Keep the personal attacks to ourselves and there's no problem.

[Wink]

Now, if you wish to keep discussing ME, be my guest. Although I am much too boring to be the object of the entire forum IMHO.

Let's talk about something else.

I mean, some people WANT to be the center of attention. I'm not one of them.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, some people WANT to be the center of attention. I'm not one of them.
Coulda fooled me -- I mean, from the way you started right off......

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Chad. [Smile]

Work for Hatrack, and Hatrack will work for you.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a good recipe for fish chowder?

I have extensive difficulties with cooking fish. Texture problems. Sara Moulton from the Food Network did an awesome-looking salmon chowder recently, and I might just try again. Her shredded pork and hominy soup was outrageously good.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Not a big fish eater. Especially seafood. Sorry, other than shrimp it all has a salt water taste that begs to be flavored over.

And I like the JFK type quote.

Ask NOT what Hatrack can do for you, but do what you can for Hatrack!

And howdy and thanks!

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, ick! Have some yummy vegetables. Take a red onion, zuchinni, squash, mushrooms, and a bunch of asparagus. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and some salt and pepper. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes. Serve with yummy crusty french bread.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not quite. You don't even have to apologize, as far as I'm concerned.

What I think is important, based on what I've seen over the years, is that you recognize that you WERE being abrasive, and understand that the people who were replying to you were responding harshly because of that perceived abrasiveness.

And before you say that you hadn't meant to be offensive, consider what you just said. Out of all the things you've said to tick people off -- and there've been a few -- the one you apologized for, the one you considered "name-calling," was the whole "liberal" bit. I agree that, yes, it's funny that you leapt to the conclusion that Dag (a strongly Catholic conservative) was a liberal. But your "apology" here was clearly meant as a further attack on liberals, to suggest that people should think that "liberal" is in fact a dirty word that no one deserves to be called.

People will call you on stuff like that around here, Chad. Later on, as we get more used to you and your posting style, we'll probably recognize some verbal "tics" and let those slide -- but it's not a good idea to start out on offense on your very first day. You managed to alienate even the people on this board who agree with you -- and, in case you were wondering, the board's got a majority of social conservatives and is pretty evenly split on fiscal issues. There are fewer Bush supporters than you might expect from a conservative board, but it's still almost 50/50. You are, in other words, going to catch more flies with honey than vinegar around here.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, if you find any ways of cooking fish without it smelling fishy let me know. I get nauseous at the smell of fish and I've never bee pregnant. Steve loves fish but he's only allowed to cook it when I'm not home. He didn't believe me at first but now he's seen me turn green and it isn't pretty.

I'm not anti fish, but I don't knkow what to do about the nausea.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Okay, Telp. I gotta pin you down and get some righteous favor.

Was I not correct in telling you when you first came that this was a huge yawning gaping time-sucking vortex that, essentially, would be a black hole of home to you?

Hmmm? Right, eh? I spotted you for a mark at your first post, dude.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
And the fact that we are giving you so much attention, Chad, should tell you something.

This place is special... a place for true debate, learning, and for making friends. To become part of any community you have to win its trust and respect. You kind of came in with guns blazing, rocking the equilibrium we have here. And the way to have true debate is to attack the subject, not the person. [Smile]

Good luck!

[ September 21, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Okay, Telp. I gotta pin you down and get some righteous favor.

Was I not correct in telling you when you first came that this was a huge yawning gaping time-sucking vortex that, essentially, would be a black hole of home to you?

Hmmm? Right, eh? I spotted you for a mark at your first post, dude.

Yes you did Sara... [Big Grin]
Rock rock on!
[Group Hug]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't listen to me.

Unless, of course, you are a robot.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Fish chowder:

2 cups Milk
1 lb. cod
12 oz. imitation crab
1/2 lb. shelled shrimp
1 tin clams
8 oz. fish broth
8 oz. clam broth
8 oz. sour cream
2 oz. lemon juice
Chopped onion (sauteed in 2 tbsp. butter)
Chopped celery
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled into short strips
Chopped basil
Tarragon
Sage
Celery salt
Salt & pepper

I'm trying to do the proportions from memory, but I recall that this worked pretty well.

[ September 21, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what never fails to confuse me is that thought that it's impossible one could be wrong. If I had started out at Hatrack by creating a thread or post that everyone attacked me for, I'd be wondering what I said wrong, not what was wrong with everyone else.

But maybe it's just me.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Just reading down that recipe I literally shuddered when I hit the fish and clams.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Vegetables, people, vegetables!!!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The recipe started with fish and clams. It's a fish chowder. It has fish in it. [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

People???? Vegetable People Stew?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Silly Telpy.

The world would be a happier place if we all ate more veggies.

space opera

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Why?!? Are the veggies out to get us? [Angst]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I skimmed, I missed the "cod" at the beginning, it was the fish broth and clam broth that makes me shudder. (I shuddered again, and totally involuntarily when I typed clam broth too)

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

"Veg-gie T-a-a-les
Veg-gie T-a-a-les
Veggie Tales"

(they just might be out to get you dkw)

AJ

[ September 21, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Yes, dkw, they are. That's why I'm a vegetarian; I'm saving the world one vegetable at a time. Watch out....I see a carrot behind you!

space opera

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
I missed the "cod" at the beginning,
Heh...at the RenFest half the men in tights had the cod at the beginning too....

[Evil]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The world would be a happier place if we all ate more veggies.
[No No]

Not so fast, Space Opera!

"Carrot Juice is Murder" by The Arrogant Worms (Scroll down to hear in MP3 or RealPlayer formats)

quote:
ARTIST: Arrogant Worms
TITLE: Carrot Juice Is Murder
Lyrics and Chords

Listen up, brothers and sisters
Come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature
Trapped in the dirt like a jail

Vegetables live in oppression
Served on our tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness
I say we take up the fight

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings
Just 'cause a radish can't scream

{Refrain}
I've heard the screams of the vegetables, scream scream scream
Watching their skins being peeled, having their insides revealed
Grated and steamed with no mercy, burning off calories
How do you think that feels, bet it hurts really bad
Carrot juice constitutes murder, and that's a real crime
Greenhouses prisons for slaves, let my vegetables grow
It's time to stop all this gardening, it's dirty as hell
Let's call a spade a spade, it's a spade it's a spade it's a spade

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(Space Opera, I loves me veggies. Thumbs up! AJ, I'll let you know. My expectations are lightly here, if at all.)

Tom, I think I overcook it, as in boil the fish. It isn't the right flaky texture.

Here's Sara M's recipe (more fish-oriented, very simple). Pretty much just salmon, potatoes and onion in heated milk with butter and dill, topped with lemon and smoked salmon. She gives a recipe for homemade lemon pepper crackers, too.

(And Tom, was Christy looking for pot pie recipes? She did a pot pie show recently.)

quote:
6 to 8 boiling potatoes (about 1 pound)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups whole milk, heated
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned
4 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the chowder: Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat; add the onion and cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, pour in the hot milk, and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Add the potatoes, season with salt, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the salmon, and cook until slightly firm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a plate and break into chunks. Add the chunks, smoked salmon, dill and lemon juice to the hot chowder. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until just heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve hot with crackers on the side.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wager dkw is very familiar with Veggie Tales.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

What's funny is that those two fish chowders would wind up tasting very different indeed, despite the milk, potatoes, and lemon juice. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera -- I would love to try your recipe cited above, both because I love vegies, and also for my mom, who's a vegetarian...

But have you PRICED some of that produce lately -- like Asparagus? Wow! You need a cash cow to eat your vegies and fruits these days.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Overcooking is probably the problem, Sara. Fish needs to be just cooked: undercooked is nasty, overcooked falls apart into unrecognizable stuff at the bottom of the pot.

Serve it as soon as it's cooked. Fish chowder doesn't wait on the guests, make the guests (or spouse) wait on the chowder.

L

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Its the attack, of the killer tomatos.
Killer tomatos
Killer tomatos"

Duh, where's that food/song thread when I need it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
In the situation of the killer tomatoes, the tomatoes are not technically food.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way this thread is now a vegetable and fish recipe discussing thread.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm addicted to cheese; veggies are a bargain in my house
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Thanks, Doc. [Smile]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

kerinin, we are currently hosting a wild morel and leek jack, a 4-yr aged cheddar, and a sweet little baby swiss in a bonnet. [Big Grin] We are not very hospitabale hosts, as we eat our guests -- slowly -- but we keep the door to the fridge open, and they trot right in.
CStroman
Member # 6872

I do have a question out of curiosity.

Why post that you know my address and telephone #?

What was your purpose and intent in so doing?

Curious.

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
For your own good, I'm sure. He's letting the rest of us know that you're a real person and not the latest incarnation of a recurring troll.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

well i was really hoping to try some of that veggie an people soup this afternoon...
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Honestly, I felt a little guilty "knowing" that info, and wanted to let you know that you should probably take some steps to be perhaps a little MORE private on the Internet. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't actually write it down -- but on the downside, that info comes up the first time someone googles you. It's not a big deal, but I HAVE been occasionally plagued in MeatSpace by jerks who've taken advantage of my lack of anonymity: signed up for magazine subscriptions, received mailed death threats with satellite photos of my house, etc.

At the very least, I felt that if it's "creepy" to "figure out" that someone's name is Sarah because it's in her E-mail addy, it's far, far creepier to discover the names of someone's entire family with a single web search. By making that explicit, I was deliberately turning my cards over early; I didn't want to have that "advantage," especially if it had the potential to make you uncomfortable in the future.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Chad, like many spots on the net, Hatrack has had its seething waves of recurrent young flame warriors. (Old ones, too.) People are snarkier when they think you're just another pseudonym some antisocial jerk is hiding behind to yank the same chain, again, and again, and again.

I think Tom knew you were okay with the information being out there, since you were using your real name. [or -- as he said above -- thought you might not realize it! never occurred to me, actually] I wouldn't myself have expected it to phase you for that very reason -- but making it clear that you were non-anonymous did make sense to get you out of the it's-him-again slushpile.

[ September 21, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought sarcasmo said it was creepy until she realized that was how he'd figured it out?
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom knew it would only stun.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. Even less creepy, then. So I am far, far creepier than Chad. [Smile]

Edit: And, yes, I was motivated in looking you up to establish that you were not, in fact, yet another anonymous troll; we don't get many of 'em, but the ones we do get are time-wasters. Had you not provided a name, this process would have taken somewhat longer. *wry laugh* So I appreciate your candor, and apologize for having taken advantage of it.

[ September 21, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been here for long Chad, and I'm only just beginning to get to know folks. But I think I can guess what got them annoyed at you, at least in the Abortion -> Death penalty thread. At least, this is certainly what ticked me off:

quote:
Curious because it seems quite an indefensible position when you take an innocent unborn baby (fetus) and end it's life, but take a convicted murderer and say he has the right to live (and vote if you are a Michael Moore fanboi).
"Curious because it seems quite an indefensible position..."

You posed a flamatory question, and then declared the oposing opinion 'indefensible'. So you've effectively announced right there: Here's a famatory question I'm asking which you're probably very opinionated on, here's my opinion on it, and oh I consider any opinion different from mine to be indefensible and will therefore be ignored.

"Michael Moore fanboi" Offensive to several people, not least: people who hold that opinion but don't have a very high opinion of Michael Moore, and people who do like Michael Moore.

One thing I've already learned about Hatrack even in my short time here, if you're polite and respectful of other people, they'll treat you with politeness and respect. If you're offensive, they'll take you apart for it.

...they, perhaps I should say 'we', becuase thats an awesome way for a forum to be and a forum like that is one I want to be a part of [Smile]

[ September 21, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Farmgirl, I know. [Frown] Prices are slowly starting to rise as we head into winter. Plus, the asparagus looks kind of scrawny, too. However, there are still all kinds of fun and moderately cheap things to do with veggies. The other night we had a great salad - baby spinach, mushrooms, and diced eggs covered with shredded mozz. cheese. Yum!

sndrake - [ROFL]

space opera

kerinin
Member # 4860

then there was this from the kerry thread

quote:
You are not there Mr. Kerry. My Family Members ARE.

And they say YOU are a liar.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, is a fool. And Kerry is their king.

which i hope doesn't even need explaining.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.