FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Love Potion #9 for the first time in years the other day. It isn't nearly as good as I remember - what on earth was I thinking? I had to keep skipping parts that were annoying. The greatest memorable scene was the horribly embarassing scene in the beginning with the girl in the bar, and then her smackdown later.

Even thinking about it, the part with the gypsies was fun, and the memory isn't so bad. Watching the movie was terribly painful, however. *mourns over a beloved movie that has proved to be a sham*

What other movies don't live up to their memories?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember enjoying This Island Earth as a kid, mostly because I recognized the Professor from Gilligan's Island . Then Mystery Science Theater spoofed it, and now it's just plain stupid.

But Forbidden Planet is still cool after all these years.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I can't think of a movie offhand... but I do remember thinking this one anime show way back when was the bee's knees.

MIGHTY ORBOTS! Super cool show when I was little. It was about Transformer-like robots created by a young scientist as they go out defending the Galactic Alliance from the evil Umbra, a living computer, and his armies and other buddies.

Then I saw it again as an adult... ooooooh... [Frown] the animation was still good but it was SO STUPID. It could have been cool. But they had this stupid narator/announcer basically dictating every action... "Oh NO! The bad guys have now shot a laser at our heroes!" No sh*t, we just saw it happen... [Wall Bash]

[Wink] Ah well...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember enjoying This Island Earth as a kid, mostly because I recognized the Professor from Gilligan's Island . Then Mystery Science Theater spoofed it, and now it's just plain stupid.
Skillery! There is hope!!
MST3000 showed a horrible sliced and diced edited version of "This Island Earth". The real film is supposed to be at least an hour longer. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars We just watched the DVD and I noticed for the first time that Leia watches her planet get completely blown up and is upset for a few minutes, then forgets about it. And Luke sees his dead aunt and uncle and his response is, "yay, now I can do all the stuff I want to do!"

Has anyone else noticed that Anakin, who cares about and mourns his mother's death is the evil one; while Luke, who couldn't care less about his gaurdian's deaths is the good one?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite movie as a child.

"The Huggabunch Movie". If you have 99 cents and a free couple of hours and would like to see a movie that desperately *needs* to be spoofed by MST3000, this is the movie for you. Although, it's really more of a fantasy than SF.

I watched it with some girlfriends not long ago and it was the first time I'd seen it in over 15 years. It was terrible.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Shera and the secret of the sword....
of course I was 5 when I saw it over and over and over. Watched it a couple months ago... couldn't really even watch the whole thing. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 28, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Hush! You're going to ruin it for me!

*pats She-ra doll*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Jedi mythology, strong emotions are bad.

Strong emotions lead Anakin to the Dark Side while Luke's relative indifference keeps him on the straight and narrow.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Luke? Luke is in the new DVDs. I heard from an unimpeachable source he had been replaced by a light-saber wielding six foot CG cat named Meow Skywalker. Thet is, after all, how George Lucas had "originally" intended it, but "the technology wasn't available at the time."
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Flight of the Navigator [Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
According to the Jedi mythology, strong emotions are bad.
Isn't that somewhat Buddhist? That is very, very not romantic Western thinking.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Snicker. Some things you watch because they're bad.

Of course, I had such a major crush on the Sorceress. [Big Grin]

Of course, I was also the kid yelling battle tactics to "Star Blazers" at the tender age of 8.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh don't get me wrong I still think She-ra's awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cat's in episode V we just saw IV.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I stopped worrying about it after Anakin became the Jesus of Star Wars.

-Trevor

Edit: And don't get me started on the butchery Lucas did with the Solo/Greedo gunfight. I refuse to watch any of the Star Wars films because of that.

[ September 28, 2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

And when Han Solo shot Greedo that used to be the hottest scene in the movie.

*mourns*

Actually, in that one scene, Han Solo was the hottest guy ever to exist. (or not exist, as the case may be)

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is, of course, a phenomenon known as the "Highlander Effect".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody seen the movie Scavenger Hunt? I loved that when I was younger, and we recently bought it off of EBay.

I should have saved my money. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And don't get me started on the butchery Lucas did with the Solo/Greedo gunfight. I refuse to watch any of the Star Wars films because of that.
Yes. A few frames that made Solo and Greedo fire at the same time instead of Solo shooting first in cold blood totally ruined the entire dramatic pull of the entire six film saga, including the films this change did not even occur in. That is completely logical. [Roll Eyes]

GET OVER IT.

[ September 28, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

You don't understand, that was the best scene in the movie.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes. A few frames totally ruined the entire dramatic pull of the entire trilogy, including the films this change did not effect at all. That is completely logical. [Roll Eyes]
Just because it isn't logical doens't mean it isn't true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

For me, that's precisely the issue.

Although to be fair, I try to pretend 1 and 2 don't exist anyway.

-Trevor

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when The Neverending Story first came out when it was my favorite movie. It just blew my mind. I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Now I think it's kind of cute, but parts of it are unbearably cheesy.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Gremlins. I remembered thinking it was kind of deep how her father died at Christmastime. [Blushing]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Han/Greedo scene IS important, to the Original Trilogy at least. Here is a guy who doesn't believe in luck, every being for itself, opportunistic scoundrel who, when pressed, has no qualms about shooting first when needed. By the end of his arc in Empire (in Jedi he was a prop) he had become a full blown romantic anti-hero who does the right thing because he should, though he always will pay for his past by having a price on his head.

Changing the one moment makes him a guy who is VERY lucky old softy who won't shoot unless shot at. It is a fairly important establishing shot for Han...though it is even more undercut by his lack of fearful return to Jabba in the formerly (and once wisely) deleted scene.

As for movies that aren't nearly as good years later? The original "Batman" movie blew me away when I first saw it but in later viewings, it pales partially because of the diminishing sequels but also because the material was handled so much better in the animated shows that followed.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Ah. So you're saying George Lucas doesn't understand his own movie. Understood.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
fil just neatly explained why I refuse to buy Star Wars on DVD.

I will, however, gladly pay someone money to burn some DVDs from existing laserdisc versions of the original films, if someone has 'em.

-----

Taal, I think the case can be convincingly made that George Lucas has never completely understood his own movies. Certainly, the films he made since RotJ (and arguably RotJ itself) suggest that he's not entirely sure why people like his movies, or why they were effective in the first place.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

One point of contention to an otherwise masterful summation - Solo does live by luck and is quite the gambler. In contrast, Obi-Wan Kenobi says "in my experience there is no such thing as luck."

Solo is an unrepentant rogue who believes in nothing more than the reach of his blaster and the confines of his ship, initially.

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So you're saying George Lucas doesn't understand his own movie.
No, I think he's saying that George Lucas is a sellout to the new PC hollywood ethic that began with all the soldiers jumping from tanks just before they exploded on G.I. Joe.

Edit because other posts have since appeared. I agree with Tom, Lucas is trying to hard to capitalize on his own genius and the result is narcissistic. He has fallen into the trap of realizing that he was cool and scrambling to get back there. Another example for me is all the booby dresses in Attack of the Clones. Being scantily clad was a mark of Leia's slavery in RoTJ.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
fil just neatly explained why I refuse to buy Star Wars on DVD.

I will, however, gladly pay someone money to burn some DVDs from existing laserdisc versions of the original films, if someone has 'em.

I, on the other hand, will be able to enjoy the films with superficial changes in dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound with gloriously and meticulously restored anamorphic video.

Your loss, guys.

--

Seriosly, though. I'd love to have original cuts of the film on official DVD as well - but in ADDITION to whatever GL feels he wants to do to 'finish' them to fit in with the entire saga.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Certainly, the films he made since RotJ (and arguably RotJ itself) suggest that he's not entirely sure why people like his movies, or why they were effective in the first place.
Hmm. You're assuming he cares. I've aways got the impression he's made these movies for himself, and as so, has every right to do whatever the hell he wants with them.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As I have a two-speaker setup at home and am perfectly happy with the video quality of a laserdisc, I'm not heartbroken. And while Lucas has the RIGHT to ruin his own movies, I have every right to not only complain about it but express my displeasure by not paying him money to do so.

Frankly, what you just said makes it easier to understand why you don't mind Lucas' rape of his own work; you're the kind of guy who kind of liked the pod races. [Smile]

[ September 28, 2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*munches popcorn* This is better than the movies.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I objected to the idea that Solo was a particularly nice guy who wouldn't take advantage of a situation to save his own skin.

Shooting a bounty hunter under the table by surprise is a wonderful way of demonstrating Solo's outlook on life.

As to his understanding of his films - I don't think he does either. Lucas is so enraptured in his own fame and delusional glory, he's chasing wildly down this path of his ideal film. Well, more power to him - it's a shame I don't enjoy his attempts at a perfect movie.

And judging by the criticisms of 1 and 2, I'm not the only one.

-Trevor

Edit: Taal - exactly. And Tom summed up my response in perfect clarity. He can do whatever the hell he wants with his movie, but I am under no obligation to enjoy, support or otherwise endorse his vision.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I've aways got the impression he's made these movies for himself, and as so, has every right to do whatever the hell he wants with them.
Yes, he has that right.

But it's still not right.

quote:
So you're saying George Lucas doesn't understand his own movie.
*raises hand* I'll say it. George Lucas doesn't undertand his own movie.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
There was a time when The Neverending Story first came out when it was my favorite movie. It just blew my mind. I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

No way man! Neverending Story is still cool and awesome! It's the reject sequels that are cheesy and stoopid.

Ahh... *hums the beautiful and soul piercing Ivory Tower theme*

Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Frankly, what you just said makes it easier to understand why you don't mind Lucas' rape of his own work; you're the kind of guy who kind of liked the pod races.
First point: it's the fact that people actually call Lucas a rapist (generally in the context of "Luca$ raped my childhood!!!) just makes me shake my head.

And yeah. I did like the podrace. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I figured. [Smile] See, Lucas has become the kind of guy who cares about digital sound and anamorphic video, and he makes movies now as if those two things matter. Whole scenes -- like the podrace -- seem to exist for no reason other than technology demos.

So if you're the kind of person who considers anamorphic video more important than character development, it probably seems like Lucas has become a deeper, richer, and more mature moviemaker in the last ten years. *grin*

TMedina
Member # 6649

I have rather strong opinions on the casual use of the word rape, so I'll stick to using the word butchery to sum up his ham-handed efforts.

-Trevor

Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Yes, he has that right.

But it's still not right.

I think the only thing that's not right is the fact that the original cuts aren't available as well, a la Spielberg's E.T. - if they were available, in my opinion all the hootin' and hollerin' would be unfounded.

--

Interestingly enough, every review I've read of the Special Edition of THX-1138 have been outstanding - changes and all. Appears it's okay to change a film as long as one isn't already incredibly emotionally invested in the original.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Ugh.. pods...

Did you guys see on the Clone War cartoons, how Anakin's figher, while the cool blue and white paint job was fine, was not the standard Republican Fighter shape but had these huge too-similar-to-be-coincidence pod shaped engines added on... Ugh. [Grumble]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Telp - I always said that if it was a neverending story, it didn't need sequels anyway.

And Flight of the Navigator still rox my sox.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Um, I could make the case that butchery is worse than rape.
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
Whole scenes -- like the podrace -- seem to exist for no reason other than technology demos
Actually, he put in the pod race because he's been obsessed with cars and racing since he was a kid. Ever seen American Graffitti?

He always wanted to put a high speed race in a Star War movie (the Speeder Bike chase in Jedi was more of a gangland motorcycle chase instead of an organized race). And he did - and it worked within the plot, too. You may think it when on too long. That's arguable. But it still worked.

And was pretty cool.

[ September 28, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

You can, Mr. Head, but one provokes an emotional response from me. The other does not.

-Trevor

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could make the case that butchery is worse than rape.
Please don't. Let's remember that we're talking about movies, which are rather frivolous additions to human existence. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Artex!!! Fight the sadness, Artex."
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"And he did - and it worked within the plot, too."

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Dave. [Smile]

----

BTW, I think the changes to THX were, for the most part, improvements -- and it helps that they were overwhelmingly cosmetic. You won't hear me complaining about Lucas' cosmetic changes to his story; it's the changing of thematic elements that bothers me.

[ September 28, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite movie as a child.

"The Huggabunch Movie". If you have 99 cents and a free couple of hours and would like to see a movie that desperately *needs* to be spoofed by MST3000, this is the movie for you. Although, it's really more of a fantasy than SF.

O_O

That's the movie that I've been trying to think of the name of for like 5 years! Finally! Thank you! I remember watching it when I was little.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.