FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So what else is new, Tom [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Artex!!! Fight the sadness, Artex."
Hey! That's a really sad part!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I hadn't seen any of the Star Wars original movies in their entirety before the DVDs came out...because I was deprived as a child [Wink] and once I reached adulthood, I wanted to watch them on DVD (I don't even HAVE a VCR).

Anyway.

I got the DVDs the day they came out. I watched them straight through.

And I love Star Wars.

So there. [Razz]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
"Say my NAME, Bastian!"
"STAR CHIIIIIILDDDDD!!!"

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, one of the most striking things about The Neverending Story in retrospect is how silly the Luck Dragon looks.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

You did NOT just diss Falcor...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I got the DVDs the day they came out. I watched them straight through.

And I love Star Wars.

Yeah. I hear that people who've never had raw milk cheese can be perfectly happy with Kraft, too. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Artex!!! Fight the sadness, Artex!
My dear friend Maria and I bawled at this one night when we realized that we had been living the past few months of our lives in the swamp of sorrows. I didn't find it cheesy at all, but then again, I may well be cheesy.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one that is still cool, but not as cool as I thought it was when I was sixteen or so is Big Trouble in Little China. I can still watch it over and over again, but I see more of the flaws.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Trouble is another movie you watch because you turn off your higher brain functions and just laugh.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I remember what I was thinking of - Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. The first time I saw it, I thought it was hilarious.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord Annie, were you ferverish to the point of delusion?

I loved Mr. Wrong when I saw it, many years ago. I *was* feverish to the point of delusion at the time, though, so I have an excuse.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I hate to admit I watched and enjoyed "Sorority Boys" at a house-warming party.

Granted, alcohol was involved and I ignored the critical elements like plot and acting, but once you get past that it can be quite amusing. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Prince of Theives. I saw this a couple of times in the theatre, and I loved it. But by the time it came out on video, I couldn't stand the idea of watching it again, and I haven't seen it since. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I really enjoyed Romy and Michelle the first time I saw, which remains as the only time I've seen it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Really kat? I went into that one expecting to love it, and was sorely disappointed. Maybe my expectations were just too high.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It did help that I went to high school with all of those same people, but it still didn't help when I watched it again.
katharina
Member # 827

I saw it late at night with roommates and cookie dough. This is also the manner in which I saw Dante's Peak, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Apparently a dog can outrace hot lava.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Between lava and my buddy's rat terrier...my money's on the dog.

I swear she can cover six feet and only touch the ground once.

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There was this movie about some girl named Karen that disappeared when her friends were fooling around with witchcraft in an abandoned church. Then a girl her age shows up 20 years later and it freaks everyone out because they are similar and at one point she almost drowns and her little sister gets a puppy and names her "Narek" which is "Karen" backwards. Because someone was possessed and wrote it on a foggy window. I though that one was deep but I would fully expect to snort at it now.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I saw The Swamp Thing at a friend's birthday party in elementary school (probably not age appropriate, but his family was just that way) and thought it was cool. Didn't understand a lot of it, but it was still cool.

I saw it on TV a couple of years ago and couldn't sit through it.

Now I think I need to see Dreamscape again. I saw that around sixth grade (against at a birthday party) and it has stuck with me ever since. I just know it won't be as cool as I though it was then, but I still want to make sure.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Say my NAME, Bastian!"
"STAR CHIIIIIILDDDDD!!!"

Um... It was "Moon Child." Say, has anyone else read the book? I loved the movie as a kid, but it's not magical for me anymore. The book, however, is.

quote:
Another one that is still cool, but not as cool as I thought it was when I was sixteen or so is Big Trouble in Little China. I can still watch it over and over again, but I see more of the flaws.
I love Big Trouble in Little China, although I admit that these days I love it more for the quotations than the actual story.

quote:
"What's in the flask, Egg? Magic potion?"
"Yeah."
"Good, thought so. What do we do? Drink it?"
"Yeah."
"Good, thought so."

quote:
"What does that say?"
"Hell of the Boiling Oil."
"You're kidding."
"Yeah, I am. It says 'Keep Out.'"

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Darby O'Gill and the Little People.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was this movie about some girl named Karen that disappeared when her friends were fooling around with witchcraft in an abandoned church. Then a girl her age shows up 20 years later and it freaks everyone out because they are similar and at one point she almost drowns and her little sister gets a puppy and names her "Narek" which is "Karen" backwards. Because someone was possessed and wrote it on a foggy window. I though that one was deep but I would fully expect to snort at it now.
Ah ha! Yes... that is a favorite of mine.. "The Watcher in the Woods".

It's still good and scary. [Smile] And the neat thing is that it wasn't anything witchy... there was some sort of dimensional rip, and Karen and this alien being switched places... and that's why the area has been "haunted" by this unseen force.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I always wanted to see Watcher in the Woods, but never got the chance.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. I hear that people who've never had raw milk cheese can be perfectly happy with Kraft, too.
Cheese use is situational. I'm not putting raw milk cheese on my sandwich.

Just as I can't cram a VHS into my DVD player.

Tom, I humbly apologize for not loving Star Wars in its original, untainted format.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not your fault. You never got a chance to see it at its best -- and, hey, I still think the films are watchable and enjoyable; I just think they're less enjoyable than they were, which is why I'm not paying for the DVDs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Back in my day, we had to walk uphill in the snow to see Star Wars. and they didn't even have special effects, we had to act out our own using crude carboard cutouts that we fashioned from paper Pappy made out of discarded wasp nests.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
butchery Lucas did
*owns the Ultimate Star Wars Collection on CAV laserdisc* [Razz]

I used to love Japanese monster movies. My favorite was Ghidra, The Three-Headed Monster . I really dug the singing midget chicks in the shoebox. I'm watching for that one to come out on DVD even though I know it's gonna seem stupid.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Sax: You're right, my bad. Star Child is the 2001 Space Odyssey Thing.

Although I never knew what name Bastian shouted until I read it online...

pooka
Member # 5003

Yes, "Watcher in the Woods", Thank you! So why were they standing around her on the abandoned church altar chanting?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have no idea what any of you are talking about, and I've never seen most of the movies mentioned here. I did see Neverending Story, but I was desperately trying to sleep and kept getting poked in the side to see if I was awake. I'm not fond of the movie.

Although I do remember the Sorrows scene. Even in my annoyance, that made me cry.

Taalcon
Member # 839

Speaking of Japanese Monster Movies - the Original Godzilla (ゴジラ) is finally being released uncut in its original Japanese form here in the states (sans the american-added Raymond Burr!). It's in very few selected theaters now.

[ September 28, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Okay, fair enough.

And if ever presented with the opportunity, I would watch it in the original version.

But I hadn't seen the movies before and couldn't understand why folks liked them so much. Now, I think on some levels, I do.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I never knew what name Bastian shouted until I read it online...
To be fair, I only know it because it's in the book.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, I guess maybe Lucas had to change the scene where Han kills Greedo because he had the little kid Greedo be one of Anakin's friends in the podrace. It all comes back to the podracing debacle.

This could have been easily solved by having Jar Jar Binks be the one that Han cleverly blows away. Now that would be an improvement.

katharina
Member # 827

I heard Jar Jar is being inserted in the cantina scene.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there are movies that you enjoy just as much now, but for a different reason.

Mysterious Island was a favorite as a child, even though I didn't pay much attention to Beth Rogan's buckskin minidress back then.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
I heard Jar Jar is being inserted in the cantina scene
You heard wrong.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Yes, "Watcher in the Woods", Thank you! So why were they standing around her on the abandoned church altar chanting?
Because Karen and her buds were just playing around... and then there was this huge electrical disturbance involving lightning that switched Karen into the parallel dimension and the alien being into ours.

Hmmm... of course it could be that their playing around AND the lightning combined did the deed.

katharina
Member # 827

You told me.
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaced Invaders

1st time I saw it was at 3 in the morning and I was in a weird mood from exhaustion, and I thought it was hilarious. One afternoon a few weeks later I rented it and made my sister and BIL watch it with me -- and apologized to them once it was over for making them sit through that piece of garbage.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, I was also the kid yelling battle tactics to "Star Blazers" at the tender age of 8.
I agree. You have a wave motion gun. There's an enemy fleet.

Why is the decision what to do next hard? There are few tactical problems that cannot be solved by correct application of the wave motion gun.

And why didn't they just form Voltron and then the Blazing Sword whenever they saw a ro-beast? I mean, really. We know you're going to do it. The ro-beast knows you're going to do it. Hagger knows you're going to do it.

So just do it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I LOVE Flight of the Navigator... I wouldn't own it if I didn't [Big Grin]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The Earth forces couldn't figure out why the Comet Empire launched wave after wave of fighters at their enemies well ahead of the main attack force.

My response was, "and you people managed to build a wave motion gun?"

-Trevor

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Loved it as a kid. Tried watching it as an adult. Bored, couldn't watch more than half an hour -- NOT a film that adults can watch, too.

(Now, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- there's a movie I saw as a kid, and that I STILL love as an adult -- lots of grown-up humor in there that I was oblivious to as a kid.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, as much as I despise the Greedo scene, it's not enough to bar me from getting these movies on dvd.

And lets look at all the positives. Tons of great background changes in all three movies. The best movie of the three of them(Empire) is also the best Special Edition, with mostly background changes only and it'd be worth it to have that alone on dvd. There's a great bonus dvd with some pretty cool special features. The main one being a 2 and half hour documentary about the history of Star Wars. And last, he's even gone back and redone the Greedo scene again. This time Han fires back lightning quick, like he was about to shoot anyway. And realistically he was. The whole scene building up to that is Han getting his blaster out of its holster and preparing to shoot. In the long run, if Greedo got his shot off first, is it really that bad? Especially now that they pretty much shoot at the same time anyway?

Also, the Neverending Story was and IS awesome to this day. Yet Sax is right that it pales in comparison to the book. Which is still one of my favorites and most read books of all time.

[ September 28, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I partially agree about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I found parts of it quite thrilling as a kid; especially when all the grubby little kids come pouring into the palace and take over. Now it's just so-so. Some of the songs, though, still make me smile.

"From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success."

Besides, I can now appreciate exactly how scrumptious Truly Scrumptious is. Yum.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! I never cared for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, though, probably because I read the Dahl books long before I saw the movie, and it didn't conform to my expectations. The movie was cheesy.

My entry? Amazon Women on the Moon. I own it, so I still watch it from time to time, but the first half dozen times I watched it I thought it was freaking brilliant. Now it's just mildly funny much of the time.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ten Commandments. I grew up with this film, but it's pretty painful to watch now.

On the other hand, Ben-Hur still holds up pretty well.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.