FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that aren't nearly as good as you remember
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm OBSESSED with The Ten Commandments. It was my favorite movie as a kid. I own it now. Love it *glows*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Short Circut 1 & 2... Money Pit... ach, there's more that I can't remember.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I second SORORITY BOYS as being a movie i loved. There is a bar downtown that shows The Simpsons every Sunday night and then a random video/dvd afterwards, sometimes its a concert, like hte buzzcocks or something, other times its been boondock saints, or THE CHEERLEADERS. but that night it was sorority boys. i saw it again not too long ago (not that its an old movie to begin with) and it's every BIT as enjoyable the second time around. it was just ridiculously fun.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved The Neverending Story. Still do. The book was better, though.

Dave, all I can say is I'm shocked you feel that good about the Greedo-shoots-simultaneously-thereby-sparing-Han's-superior-morality thing. It's like having the bad guy fall from a great height onto something pointy (after refusing the hero's noble attempts to save him, o'course).

I think GL's gone bonkers with male menopause and whatever you call it when a man has nobody around him who'll tell him when he sucks.

But whatever. He's given me many scenes of Ewan McGregor wet and variously bound, so I'll forgive him. [Razz]

One movie that really didn't age well is The Hidden though I still think it's fun.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Short Circuit. I loved that as a kid, but it was just painful to watch about a year ago.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My entry? Amazon Women on the Moon. I own it, so I still watch it from time to time, but the first half dozen times I watched it I thought it was freaking brilliant. Now it's just mildly funny much of the time.
I think it's tough for comedies to remain screamingly funny over time. A big part of the humor is that it's unexpected. This effects the sketch humor type movies like Amazon Women on the Moon, Elephant Parts, and Kentucky Fried Movie more than most.

-----------------------------------

Dag, that post about Voltron and Star Blazers was awesome.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas is getting testy about the complaints.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20040923/en_movies_eo/14996

quote:
"I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it," the filmmaker told Yahoo recently. "But I want it to be the way I want it to be...they [the fans] think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way."
*waits for someone to light the torches*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dag, that post about Voltron and Star Blazers was awesome.
Sign of a true connoisseur of 70s/80s Japanese cartoons.

quote:
"I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it," the filmmaker told Yahoo recently. "But I want it to be the way I want it to be...they [the fans] think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way."
He seemed to have had no problem making a billion dollars from his "half-finished" movies.

Can I get my money back for all the tickets and VHS tapes I bought for an incomplete product?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can I get my money back for all the tickets and VHS tapes I bought for an incomplete product?
I'm right behind you, Dag. You spearhead the assault, and I'll come in and mop up after you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Short Circuit still rocks. I own that one too >_>
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. The Neverending Story book was so much better than the movie, everyone who reads it forgets the movie.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the book better, but I haven't forgotten the movie. [Wink]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one here who always thought "Short Circuit" sucked and highly resented having paid money to see it in a theater? I mean, I was 16 but some of my friends thought it was funny, and I just didn't understand them.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"Spartikus and the Sun Beneath the Sea"!

[The Wave]

"Once Upon a Time...Space/Revenge of the Humanoids"!

[Smile]

Those are still good...

OH! "The Last Starfighter" Hehehe... just bought that on dvd.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't like a bit of the puppetering in it... Though, You have to love Benjamin

quote:
Howard: Ok, so what if it decides to blast a bus full of nuns? What would you put as a head line on that!?
Ben: Nun soup?
Cosby: Ben! *covers Ben's Mouth*

Or Number 5/Number Johnny 5

quote:
Stephanie is taking a bath, when Number 5 comes in.
Number 5: Stephanie... Change color.
Stephanie looks down: Um, oh!*covers self with towel*
Number 5: Mmm! Nice Software!
Stephanie: You sure don't talk like a machine...

Ahhh... I take that back, I still love the movie.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.
Oh, OK. Here you go George.

My old Sunday School teacher grew up next door to George Lucas. She said he was a spoiled little brat who ratted her out for riding his dad's steers.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pollyanna". In fact, most movies involving Hayley Mills.

Except "Tiger Bay" because Horst Buchholz is yummy.

Also, most Disney animated features that came out when I was in elementary school and early high school. I tried to watch "The Little Mermaid" a while ago and couldn't sit through it.

If you still love them, I apologize. I just can't watch them anymore.

On the other hand, some movies just get better and better. "Gorgo" and "Mothra" were movies I watched over and over again as a kid, and I still love them. Along with "Forbidden Planet", "Horror of Dracula", "Dumbo", "The Day The Earth Stood Still", and, of course, "The Neverending Story", which never HAD a sequel, just like they never made a third or fourth "Aliens" movie, and "Terminator 3" just doesn't count.

"Buckaroo Banzai" was silly when I saw it the first time, and it's sillier now, but I still love it.

"Where are we going?"
"PLANET TEN!"
"When are we going?"
"REAL SOON!"

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.