FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Emigration Call... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Emigration Call...
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
(Heh heh, this is half serious half in good fun so don't eat me)

Feeling let down or ignored by your country?

Tired of living on the right side of the tracks?

Tired of the fun being taken out of fundamentalism?

Don't forget your friendly neighbours to the North! It's just like the USA, without the grimy bits. There's plenty of room and the doors are always open. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't Canada (to quote Robin Williams) a loft apartment over a really good party?

You know you wish your country was as screwed up as this one. [Wink]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
There will be punch and pie.

Vive La Resistance!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of pie?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think they'd have pretty strict immigration laws. Does anyone know the rules about moving to Canada?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
But... it's cold in Canada. Well, colder than I'm used to in Louisiana.

Can we have hot cocoa and s'mores instead?

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Does anyone know the rules about moving to Canada?
You have to get points but anyone here'd qualify.

*prepares hot chocolate, smores, taffy...*

It's cold but we've got snow in the winter, can't say that about Louisiana, eh?

[ November 03, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Points? NOW I'm curious.

And would it help matters that Bernard's father is a citizen of Canada? [Wink]

Toretha's gonna kill me if she sees this thread.

[ November 03, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Well my understanding of it is that you have to have something to recommend you, i.e. a way to support yourself etc etc etc. These points mount up.

But I don't think it'd be hard for an American to get in.

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

That's not too bad. Although I'll bet the paperwork takes ages.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if my wife weren't someone who desperately needs a lot of heat and sunlight, I'd be up for moving to Canada. It seems like a pretty great country. I have thought about looking for a job in Austrailia before, but I never did hear back from the Austrailian consulting companies I contacted a few years back. Maybe I should try again (note--this isn't because of Kerry's losing the election; I just enjoy mixing it up every now and then, and it's about time for a move).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably have a free ride into Canada if I wanted one, considering that Juliette is a Canadian citizen.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Going by my friend who recently emigrated from the UK to Canada, about 18-24 months (that's for the entire process).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Or Australia, Australia's good too, although I know nothing about it other than Kangaroos and desert. [Smile]
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Actually, in all seriousness, if Bernard and I moved after we got married, it would probably be New Zealand. That child and his LotR obsession...
Teshi
Member # 5024

<--- Going to visit NZ too, to see what it's like.

I'm a person without roots, all three are places where I'd like to live.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot:

Tired of being called a Shatner-stealing-Mexico-toucher? [Big Grin]

Actually, I'd really like to live in Vancouver....

[ November 03, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've never been called a Shatner-stealing-Mexico-toucher before, but I kind of wish I had.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Canada? Why should we leave America to visit America Junior?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday: well, Toretha does prefer the north. Like, Maine and Canada north.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
No thank you. Love where I am, thanks for asking. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

fugu: What I meant was that she personally told me that if I moved out of the country, she'd follow me and beat me.

That girl can be violent at times. And I think she was joking. But still, let's not risk it, no?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Perhaps she was joking and telling the truth? [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Heh. With her, probably.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Canada? Why should we leave America to visit America Junior?
I don't mind the name American Junior, since children are usually more open-minded than their parents.

Ludosti, my brother lives in Vancouver, and it's a really beautiful city. You probably couldn't pick a better Canadian city, if you were really going to move. The climate is certainly a lot nicer than here in Edmonton.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon you should try New Zealand: all the good things, without the Australians [Evil]
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to live in Vancouver, too. My problem is that I don't have any really useful skills, so Canada probably wouldn't let me in. [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, I already live in Canada and am planning to move to somewhere even further from America. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

New Zeland doesn't sound like a bad choice at all. Actually, a friend of mine who was a gerontologist was planning to move to New Zeland because he was so frustrated with the American medical system, but he ended up getting out of medicine instead (went back to school, and is now studying bioinfomedics, for those who are interested).

Any idea how heavily used Lotus Notes and Domion are down there?

One thing I'd really like about living in that area would be my proximity to SE Asia. That alone would be enough to make me want to move there.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its Bioinformatics [Razz] .
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks--what did I say?

::reads what he wrote::

[Laugh] self.

In my defense, I stayed up *way* too late watching the election coverage.

Belle
Member # 2314

*shakes head*

I don't see why people think leaving America because you're upset at one election is a thing to encourage. (not talking to you Sara, obviously you have more than one reason)

If you don't like things, why not stay and try to change them? During eight years of Clinton I never spoke once about leaving my country. I love my country, and even if one election goes a way I'm not happy with, I wouldn't leave it.

If many people who opposed the conservatives this time leave - then aren't you making it even more likely that they will remain in power?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there isn't a cleaner, brighter, happier conservative country within easy walking distance of America [Razz]

And Sara, if you do wind up in Southern Ontario I'll happily stop by with pie. Or ring the doorbell and leave pie on your doorstep. I cannot, however, be held responsible if a slice of pie is missing when you come for it.

I'm a weak man.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Not opposed to your website, your dime, your time do what you will with it. If someone wants the information because they seriously consider emigrating, then it will indeed be helpful and you'll be providing a service. That's cool.

I'm opposed to the thinking that you leave when things don't go your way.

It would take a lot more than one election, or even the fears that the country was headed idealogically in a direction opposite me for me to abandon my home. I'd dig in and fight.

Even if there were a nation next door that fit more with my ideals - it's still not my home. I wouldn't uproot my family and move them, I'd stay where I was and fight to make my country better. I'd get involved in local elections and try to make a difference in my immediate area, then work to help spread that difference statewide and nationwide.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
You folks that are leaving...

Can those of us who are staying here have your stuff?

I need a new set of chairs in particular.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Mayday: I saw this thread. Be afraid. Be very afraid. I still have both pieces of Cudgie.

[ November 03, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yes, part of my value base includes the belief that one doesn't roll over and give up - one fights for what one believes in.

Despite the fact that abortion, for example, is legal and has been for years, I am not one of those Christians that says "Well, it'll never change let's focus on something else." I believe it's murder, I will continue to fight against it in the best way I know how, with my vote, and with everything within my power in accordance with the law and consistent with my values. I won't roll over and admit defeat just because it's an uphill battle to get Roe vs. Wade overturned.

I see this the same way - when Clinton was in power I didn't roll over and say "woe is me, where can I go where I'll be more understood?" I fought for what I believed in.

Belle
Member # 2314

People who emigrated to America had their own reaons, and I can only judge each one individually. I know people who came here because they wanted opportunities that didn't exist where they lived, and they wanted to be able to support their children. I can respect that.

I also know many, like my friend Dr. Leon, who came to America, took advantage of its opportunities, got educated, worked, and then returned to Honduras to make a difference in his own homeland. I understand that commitment to one's home - and I respect that too.

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Toretha: [ROFL]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"And a series of congratulations on returning home."

Is it your opinion that Canadians would be as eager to welcome American expats?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Whose opinion? I'll offer mine, anyway. I think the general feeling is that if you're coming to Canada, then you're absolutely welcome, no matter who you are.

(People-wise, immigration might be a different matter.)

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my ancestors came over from France, to fight in the Civil War. I don't know if it was just because he believed in the cause, but he most certanly didn't *have* to become a spy and courier for the Union. No one is generally coerced into spying and normally there is definitely motivation beyond personal gain for someone to take those kinds of risks. And he paid for it dearly, got thrown in one of the nasty prisions in one of the Carolinas.

As far as my other immgrants ancestors to the U.S. most of them were seeking to escape hunger and poverty, though one group was Mennonite and did endure some religious persecution in their home country of Switzerland. People come today for many of the same economic reasons though I would guess less frequently for the religious reasons, especially now that the cold war is over. Either way they frequently can and do send money and help their relatives back in their home country, whether they stay in the US themselves or not.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
And I know where you live, and how to get in without being noticed.

Do you want to end up like Tigger?

[ November 03, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, As far as my experience dictates, it matters on the person.

If you're making Canada your home, yes. If Canada is a temporary place until the US cleans up, then less so.

A lot of Canadian's have relatives and whatnot in the states.

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara I'm confused, even if you moved to Canada with your husband, would you actually renounce your U.S. citizenship or not?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

You don't have to renounce your citizenship to the States if you move to Canada.

Duel citizenship is somewhat common [Smile]

I don't know what CT's particulars are, but I'd be rather suprised if she had to give up her citizenship to the US

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
you know, people can always move to poland. Just a thought.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

One day, Kama, one day everyone will flock to Poland.
Jaiden
Member # 2099

*eyes Kama*
Everybody knows Poland doesn't really exist.

Move to Canada. Canada exists. And it's closer then this imaginary Poland place.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.