FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Emigration Call... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Emigration Call...
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, getting into Canada is like playing British Bulldog. There are a lot of people trying to tackle you on your way across the border, but if you get across, you're home free. You can delay your hearings for upwards to a decade at which point, even if it's decided not to let you stay based on your claim you can say, "but I've been here a decade!" and we'll let you stay. It's also a delicate system we have here, with our extensive system of safety nets. There's a very large, very real fear of people inundating the country and taking advantage of something they have not paid into and collapsing our system. So the immigration office tries to make sure only contributing members of society/those seeking asylum get in. I don't know that I agree with it, but I understand.

I think the first thing that needs fixing is making it easier for people to get jobs once they're here. It's stupid that we claim we're just making sure we're getting people who can contribute and then don't let them contribute once they're here. Have you talked to cab drivers about their degrees? I can't count the number with PhDs that I've talked to. It's unreal. When I was TAing there were some people that had higher degrees than I did, but their courses weren't transferable so they had to do several years worth of schooling here before they could work in their field. Again, I understand the principle and the logic behind the system, but I think it's antiquated.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Kiwis (and, by extension, the Aussies) are quite likely to accept me with open arms, no questions asked.
*hugs twinky* Damn skippy.

I know how this whole thing makes you feel, and I'm sorry, Raja. [Frown]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It might not be as hard as you think.

quote:
So just how hard is it for an American to become a Canuck? A recent Harper's article suggested that bailing from Dick Cheneyville entailed a rather onerous legal dance. "It's not difficult at all," says Cohen. Basically all you need is a B.A. and a passing fluency in English and "Bingo, you're in."
[Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

Or, there's another option.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*hugs Kylie*

Thanks. [Smile] ...though, to be fair, the reason the Kiwis and Aussies won't mind taking me is that I'll have Kiwi citizenship. But from what I've been reading, the Aussies at least really WOULD welcome me with open arms, even without a Kiwi citizenship -- they even have an official government program to get recent graduates (particularly in technical fields) working in Australia.

rivka, do they mention which issue of Harper's that bit about immigration is in? I just so happen to have a current subscription to Harper's... I'm looking, but I don't see it anywhere yet.

The Salon article does make reference to the skilled worker test though:

quote:
To put down roots in Canada, you need a permanent residence visa. First, you fill out a scorecard that awards you points for who you are -- you're shooting for 67. That B.A. in Communications from Chico State will do the trick but so will two years as a tradesperson; Manitoba is always looking for good sheet-metal workers. If you only have a high school education but sold that software program you wrote in your bedroom one night to Oracle -- that is, you have a net worth of $200,000 -- start packing, your Canada's kind of person. There is, however, a little bit of a Gattaca thing going. You get more points for being under 49 years old.
The Salon guy obviously didn't take the test himself. I've got a BASc in chemical engineering, I'm 23, I have family here, I speak both official languages, and I still don't qualify to enter my own country as a skilled worker. Thankfully I'm a citizen.

I think the easiest way to do it would be to figure out which province needs what you are (which in some cases is really just "immigrants;" Atlantic Canada's population is declining, for example), and see if you can get a provinicial "invitation." Of course, there's always that other option. I love how that site says "aboot" instead of "about," too. So very quintissentially Canadian, "aboot." [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yeah, but while many people signed the pledge, very few actually posted profiles. Um, not that I looked, or anything.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm sure there's an attractive lesbian somewhere in BC who would love to marry you. [Razz]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Yes, but while I have dated women in the past, I am predominately straight.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've been looking into companies in NZ that use Lotus Notes, and have actually found quite a few. That's encouraging. I've sent email messages to a couple of them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Then I'll just send a link to all of my handsome male friends. [Wink]

Edit: Noemon, it might pay you to look at Australia as well. I discovered that recently.

[ November 05, 2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

:giggle: So considerate of you.

Good luck, Noemon! At this rate, NZ might be where the mass hatrack exodous ends up.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I'm doing that too. I think I'd rather live in New Zealand, given the choice, but Australia would be interesting too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

What's funny is that you think I'm kidding. *clicks 'send'* [Big Grin]

Edit: I, too, would rather live in NZ, despite the standard of living hit. I view Australia as a stepping stone en route to NZ, since you can live in Australia with Kiwi citizenship, no questions asked.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky, how can you not qualify as a skilled worker? 22 points for education, 16 for English, at least 17 for co-op depending on if you've done other work, and 10 points for being 22 gives you 65 right there. Basic French would let you qualify on your own, or family would put you over the top.

Did I misread something? I'm curious because your score is almost exactly what mine would be after April.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

It could just be that I can't do mental arithmetic in the wee hours of the morning. I'll check it this afternoon.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I didn't realize it was 16 for english the first time I read it through.

Australia sounds wonderfully tempting. Twinky you got any links? I'm kinda curious.

AJ

As is, I think I'm around 53 points. If you add the arranged work in, in factors 5 and 6 assuming I did I could probably get the 68 points.

AJ

(Correction I forgot to give myself 10 points for age, I'm at 63 points minimum without arranged work in Canada, and I might be able to massage 4 more points out of the work experience depending on exactly what they count.)

[ November 05, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

16 for English? Well, there's my mistake then.

AJ, here's a good place to start. [Smile]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
While I legally can only marry one person, I'm sure I could find other women interested in marrying an American.

Come on people, Poland's a good place to live!

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmm I've got 125 points for Australia. 120 are required, and Steve would have the identical number. I know we are committed here for another couple of years, but I'd definitely consider it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

They've got the highest standard of living in the English-speaking world... unless you're an aboriginal. They don't treat the natives very well.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

yeah, I know, but coming from the US I don't have a lot of room to point fingers do I?
The kiwis did a little better with the Maoris, but neither country has clean hands.

Actually, while I will enjoy my time in the Midwest, I just want to live somewhere *warm*. Florida, the Tampa area would be a possiblity, but I'm not into humidity. I'd love to go back to CA but can't stomach the cost of living so Australia would be a reasonable viable alternative to California. (This is also why unless extraextroardinary circumstances developed I wouldn't move to Canada... too cold of a climate even in the West.)

Australia also has a group of Cardigan Corgi lovers who would love the bloodlines I'd bring to them too.

AJ

[ November 05, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

twinky
Member # 693

That's true. And we're just as bad on that score here in Canada.

Also, I hear Australia is outright HOT.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to jump on the New Zealand band wagon but after I visit, if I like it I could zip over there for a few years to pick up another citizenship. I'm a citizenship junkie.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*stern look at Kylie*

NOW look what you've started! [Razz]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I have either 110 or 115 points for Australia. The thing is, I am fluent in a language other than English, which is the additional 5 points. However, I do not have a university degree for studies conducted in this language, nor do I have any certificate proving my knowledge, which means I don't get the 5 points.

[Confused]

AJ, it tells me that the pass mark is 110. Why is it 120 for you?

[Confused]

So is there a similar test for the US?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kama I'm not sure, it may be because of the profession you have. Or it could be a totally scummy scammy site, that always tells you, you have five points over waht is required because they want you to apply and take your money.

Twink what did it say for you?

AJ

[ November 05, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Try taking it again, and lying. I can't get the site to come up from work, but I'll try it when I get home.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't go to Canada yet, with 66 points, but by April I'll have 68 plus I'd likely have a job lined up, so that would push me over the top anyway. I've loved Canada each time I've been there, so...

I'll check out the Australia site when I can get on it. Doesn't seem to want to load at the moment.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that even in immigration, paper degrees matter more than life experience. [Frown] I'm pretty much stuck in America, even if I wanted to leave.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

When I lied
code:
Your Assessment Summary 
Criteria Your Answer Points*
Nominated Occupation Primary Products Inspector 40
Age 18 to 29 30
English Language Ability Native English Speaker 20
Occupational Experience Less than three years 0
Spouse Skills Bonus Points Applicable 5
Your Points Score: 95

When I didn't lie
code:
Your Skilled Assessment Result

According to the responses in your online visa assessment,
you satisfy the basic requirements for the Skilled Visa Category.

Required Pass Mark: 120 points Your Points Score: 125 points*

Your Assessment Summary
Criteria Your Answer Points*
Nominated Occupation Engineer - Chemical Engineer 60
Age 18 to 29 30
English Language Ability Native English Speaker 20
Occupational Experience More than three years 10
Spouse Skills Bonus Points Applicable 5
Willing to live in an Australian regional area YES
Your Points Score: 125*

[ November 05, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The new map of the U.S.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
*stern look at Kylie*

NOW look what you've started!

Aaaand, after that I'll go to Australia for a couple of years, pick up a fourth, then maybe South Africa if I'm feeling adventurous (fifth)...

How many citizenships can one person have. I'll got through so much paperwork...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

I started nothing. It was all YOUR fault. *stern look back*

Also, once you have Kiwi citizenship, you don't need Oz. However I don't know if we approve of citizenship whores. [Razz]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

*cough*

EDIT: And the first two weren't my choice! (especially the first!)

[ November 05, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy, that was hysterical.

You know, if Canada let in all the Democrats, I bet Canada could quickly beat out the Jesusland as the dominate world power. If not, at least there would then be two superpowers again. I mean, when you think about it, the brainy nerds are the democrats, right? Isn't that why OSC always rails about liberal colleges polluting our children's minds.

Then again, that's probably why Canada doesn't want us there. [Wink]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
If not, at least there would then be two superpowers again
Yeah, only, one would have a lot of nuclear-missles and the other'd have a couple of broken second-hand submarines and helicopters. [Roll Eyes]

EDIT: And they'd be reluctant to use them.

[ November 05, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

*sterner look back at Kylie* It's SO not my fault. [Razz]

Teshi, citizenships, or residence permits? There's a world of difference. Citizenships, unless you have a parent who has one (like I do with dad), take a long time to get. Landed immigrant status is easier.

[ November 05, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Well... I'm on the way to getting the second citizenship. I figure nine years in each country ought to do the trick.

EDIT: I'm an immigrant right now.

[ November 05, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

That's a long time to spend somewhere you don't plan to stay. I just want my Kiwi citizenship. Then I can live in Australia and New Zealand without worrying about immigration laws, and I can move back and forth between those two, Canada, and if need be the United States largely as I please.

I don't feel a huge urge to go and live in a bunch of different places, I just want to find somewhere I really like (which is to say, New Zealand).

Teshi
Member # 5024

Well I've never been to NZ, so I can't say if I want to live there! I am being lighthearted right now about scooping up citizenships.

[Wink]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, only, one would have a lot of nuclear-missles and the other'd have a couple of broken second-hand submarines and helicopters.
[Confused]

You know, I'm willing to bet that every liberal state that would be in the United States of Canada have nukes. Along with most of the industry in the country. Jesusland would have most of the farmland and old people. Unless of course you think that the farmland could somehow take all the nukes.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm living in Sri Lanka right now on a residential visa. I could apply for citizenship in 6 more years and be a citizenship whore, but I don't see the benefit of having citizenship here. Hubby doesn't care.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't know where the nuclear weapons are- I was always under the impression they were in farmland but I don;t know.

I think I need to put a little [Wink] after all my posts because i'm being taken more seriously that I intend to be!

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "The United Nanny States of Canada" is a better name.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

*sternest look back*

quote:
..though, to be fair, the reason the Kiwis and Aussies won't mind taking me is that I'll have Kiwi citizenship.
Not true, sir. I calculated your points for NZ and you're about 50 over the required level. [Razz]
twinky
Member # 693

*attempts to return sternest look*

*unable to suppress a snicker*

[Smile]

They like me... they really like me! *sniffle*

[Smile]

Also, I used the automated calculation system for Canada and it turns out I AM eligible, so it isn't quite as bad as I thought, but still... I'd like to think that I'm pretty skilled. I'm not sure I can honestly say that Canada is the best country in the world anymore. Our health care system is creeping closer and closer to two bona fide tiers for the rich and the not rich... the Conservative party is actually a force to be reckoned with for the first time in over a decade... *sigh* Good thing I'm already planning to leave. [Wink]

[ November 05, 2004, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The conservative party recovered? What the heck?

I leave the country for a year, and the whole thing falls apart. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

They merged with the Canadian Alliance. Which is to say, the Alliance took them over and then stole their reputable brand name, but kept Stephen Harper on as a leader.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.