FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2004 : A Rousing Success!! (see other thread for details) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2004 : A Rousing Success!! (see other thread for details)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Last year we kept this thread going (or another thread, I don't remember) and listed some of our interests, pointed people to our Amazon.com wishlists and the like. It was a good thing to do.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.

Yay. This was fun last year, I can't wait to do it again!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Random Observation: If there's ever a Hatrack serial killer, Annie and I would be prime suspects.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird.

Just weird.

:shakes head, backs out of thread:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
The address I gave you was most defnitely fake. Yes. I don't even live in Poland. I'm from Canada.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, not a single e-mail since the serial killer comment. <oops>

I solemnly swear that all addresses are kept very, very safe, I won't use them for anything other than the stated purpose, I'll delete the file when Christmas is over, and I've never been convicted of anything resembling murder.

We have over thirty signed up so far. [Smile] Do y'all want the pairings to be random, in my best judgement, or a combination of the two? (For instance, random pairings, but if Bloomingtoners get each other, there's a reshuffle.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Note she says she's never been convicted, not that she's never been charged.

[ November 15, 2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

lol

Well, I can't guarentee anything, but I gave her my address last year, and she hasn't killed me yet...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad that she left you out. She's still making her way down the list. [Razz]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

Thanks, I'm still glad I gave her my address again just to refresh her memory, I was getting worried that she had forgotten me!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote actually trying to pair people, but if you don't really have time or energy, feel free to do the random (of course I wouldn't want a bloomington person anyway).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in. And I promise to send out my gift ON TIME this year, rather than a month and a half late.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you pair people, so person A gives a gift to person B and person B gives a gift to person A, or do you mix it up so person A gives to person B, B to C, C to D, etc.?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for trying to pair people, but if you want to go with a hint of randomness, that's fine, too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't like the pairing idea. A <-> B is kind of boring - that way you know who's got you. Takes all the fun out of it.

Randomness is the spice of life!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah, the person you give a present to will be different from the person who gives you a present.

I think I was asking if Hatrack trusts my judgement in deciding who gets whom. I could give everyone a number and draw two from a hat at a time, and then put them all back and do it again for the other direction until everyone is accounted and no two have each other or someone that lives within driving distance, or I could decide that Alai needs to get something from Petra and it would be interesting to see what Peter got Col. Graff. (Names used merely as examples.)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I trust your judgment.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

<- trusts
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
kath, what you said was what I thought you meant, so yeah, I'm still with you on it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

"Interesting," hmmmm?

Yeah, I trust you. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] Cool. *rubs hands together gleefully*

My pinky swear to not kill anybody seems to have worked - e-mails are coming in again.

I have a proposal for Hatrack. I asked for favorite Hatrack moments mostly because I'm quite sentimental at unexpected times and I like hearing them. They are so great, though, and so unexpected that I wish I could share. I was thinking about releasing a few at a time for general warm and fuzzy purposes, but I didn't make it clear beforehand that the responses might be made public. For the record, I haven't read any that I don't think is for general consumption - no blushing declarations, no confessions, nothing embarassing, but lots of cool memories, some of which I'd completely forgotten. What do y'all think?

[ November 16, 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Carrie
Member # 394

I'm okay with you sharing my rambling. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Me too. And I might send you some more. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The memories are totally your intellectual property now.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Share as you like.

Also, I have no idea if I remembered to tell you that I'm me, and that Dan is Lime. But, since my e-mail has Vana in it, and you've met us, I trust you can figure it out? I hope?

Of course, if I'm really lucky, maybe I just did it right in the first place. [Smile]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The morning bump.

Narnia:
quote:
My favorite Hatrack moment would have to include the "www argument" thread
way back in the fall of 2000. [Smile] I also loved the OSC signing last November
when people stayed at my house and we bashed around Portland for 3 days.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ooooh, I was just looking for this thread to suggest you post the memories without names, and let us guess!
Kama
Member # 3022

Can we learn more about the "www argument"?
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yes, hold on....*searches* The thread is long gone, but you can find a brief synopsis on this page about half way down.

I still pee my pants (almost) when I read that last post. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

And now to play "Guess The Rememberer". (Good idea, ElJay.)
quote:
I'm having a hard time with a favorite Hatrack moment. The Kamacon was
great but was so short and I missed visiting with many that went on the
art/museum outing. I treasure Bob and Dana's willingness to share their
joy in each other. This, more than anything, has made me feel like part of
an extended family. I suppose it's obvious that I enjoy the pun threads.
If I had to pick a favorite I'd go with <URL:
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024342
>, This was the one on literary references.

Raia
Member # 4700

Dag?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

punwit.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely. Kama's right.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
punwit
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That is, of course, what I said. [Roll Eyes]
katharina
Member # 827

Well, that was fast.

I'm going to run out of quotes. If you didn't send one in, you still can. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Guess the Hatracker!
quote:
Let's see...
the first time Dobies made an appearance was quite entertaining (as
was Dobie himself, come to think of it), the drama leading up to the
expulsion and subsequent reentry of Thor was viciously amusing, but I
think the top would be the Breadbox Edition of Fellowship of the Ring,
what, almost three years ago now. Oh, wait, I know my favourite.
Finding out OSC had such a strong base in Wisconsin and finding them
to be such wonderful people. Well, okay, everyone on the 'Rack is
awesome, but the fact that people have good taste in books in
Wisconsin is amazing. Yeah, so that's it.

There's still a little bit of time to sign up for the gift exchange. [Smile]

[ November 19, 2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Lessee, they're from Wisconsin and have been here at least three years... Where's that factions thread go...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yep.

Dang.

Carrie
Member # 394

Well, it was fairly obvious. Though if I hadn't mentioned Wisconsin, it would have taken much longer... [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...
quote:
Favorite hatrack moment . . . gosh . . . so many to choose from. I'm
going with Bob and dkw's engagement announcement.

Maybe this will take slightly longer.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an e-mail, but didn't get a confirmation... Did you get it?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes! I did. I know you're on the list, I remember typing your name into Excel. I didn't start sending confirmations until two or three days into it, though, so I might have missed yours.

----

No guesses on the Hatracker?

Hint: Male

Kama
Member # 3022

A guy would say "gosh"?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
well we can narrow it down to mormon guys I think on the basis of the "gosh"

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Nate?
katharina
Member # 827

I don't think a single Mormon guy signed up for the exchange.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
weirdos.

uhhh...noemon?

[ November 19, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.