FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is up with the guys in this country?? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is up with the guys in this country??
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again Jar Jar you miss the point of the thread, and fail to realize that we like to keep a certain atmosphere here: one of caring and compassion and friendship. If you wanna be like that go be a boot camp sergent, they have need for your kind of loudmouth BS there. Or maybe you just never learned to be a kind caring person. Shall we send him to caring 101?

(((Raia))) You aren't being melodramitic. In the least, frankly I'm as amazed as you are that they haven't done anything to this guy. He should be fired at the very least... Sexual harrassment is no joke and its not something anyone should have to put up with or get used to. Maybe some guys think they would enjoy it, but I suspect thats becuase they've never had to deal with it. Not really anyway. I haven't either, but I know I wouldn't enjoy it!

And Raia does have backbone... I've seen her when she's angry [Angst] She's just far too sweet and kind to let it loose on most people where she can possibly avoid it. This is not a bad trait at all. [Wink]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is what I mean... all my threads have resulted in this sort of dissention. I won't leave completely, (I'm far too addicted), but I will make myself scarce over the next few weeks... try not to draw attention to myself too much. That seems to be the general problem here.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I think your analysis is flawed, since you’re starting from the assumption that there’s a problem here. This seems to me to be a fairly normal Hatrack thread. Don't worry about it. (You have enough real stuff to worry about without worrying about whether you're getting more than your share of Hatrack attention, good or bad.)

[Wave]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for saying that, Kayla. I tried to say something like it (albeit in a snarky way. Sorry, Raia.) in her other thread and got dogpiled for it.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

- posted      Profile for Jar Head   Email Jar Head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are worried about words hurting my feelings then you need not be, It is awful hard for me to fear a harsh word. It makes me want to say nee ner nee ner nee ner... [Taunt] But it causes me no trauma. Bullets, tire irons, the occasional fist and baton yes, names no.

Have you done anything about the first guy yet? In other words did all the talk motivate you to do anything? If not then it might be pointless to encourage you to do something about this guy, your something might be this, just posting about it and venting.

If that is the case perhaps you should avoid discussing it, maybe that would force you into real action. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. One always fights best in motion even if the first move is not the perfect one, once things start happening you learn who you are by reacting and adjusting.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dkw))) <---- she's right, this is pretty much a typical Hatrack thread. Some of the characters change, and some never do change, but overall we are a caring and supportive group.

Special to Jar Head -- I assume you realize that the use of pejorative terms like "Jewish American Princess" displays a level of prejudice and down right sexism and racism. What you may not realize is that that sort of thing is strongly discouraged on this board. I don't really know what you hoped to accomplish with that, but all it really displays is your own ignorance and meanness. I assume a number of folks have already reported you to the mods for doing it. But, regardless of whether or not they contact you, I think you need to rethink whether you want to stay here and abide by the rules of common decency as well as those set by our hosts and sponsors.

I think you owe us all an apology, but especially raia.

[Grumble]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dkw))) <---- she's right, this is pretty much a typical Hatrack thread. Some of the characters change, and some never do change, but overall we are a caring and supportive group.

Special to Jar Head -- I assume you realize that the use of pejorative terms like "Jewish American Princess" displays a level of prejudice and down right sexism and racism. What you may not realize is that that sort of thing is strongly discouraged on this board. I don't really know what you hoped to accomplish with that, but all it really displays is your own ignorance and meanness. I assume a number of folks have already reported you to the mods for doing it. But, regardless of whether or not they contact you, I think you need to rethink whether you want to stay here and abide by the rules of common decency as well as those set by our hosts and sponsors.

I think you owe us all an apology, but especially raia.

[Grumble]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Head, besides the term being inappropriate due to its derogatory nature toward all Jews, being unprepared for unwanted advances by guys doesn't make someone a JAP. If there was an example of a JAP it would be my ten year old sister who is a spoiled little brat. I don't see how that description fits Raia.

Raia, don't blame yourself for Jar Head being a jerk.

Bob, I would love to describe Jar Head's use of the term JAP aas racist, but I'm not quite willing to condemn half the gentile population of areas with high Jewish populations.

[ December 07, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Triple posts? That's an unusual way of making a point.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Head, besides the term being inappropriate due to its derogatory nature toward all Jews, being unprepared for unwanted advances by guys doesn't make someone a JAP. If there was an example of a JAP it would be my ten year old sister who is a spoiled little brat. I don't see how that description fits Raia.

Raia, don't blame yourself for Jar Head being a jerk.

Bob, I would love to call Jar Head's use of the term JAP was racist, but I'm not quite willing to condemn half the gentile population of areas with high Jewish populations.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the portrait gallery.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, wicked weird. A Bob double post, a triple by nfl, one by TMedina, two more of the same by nfl, the same TMedina post and another two by nfl. That's seven of the same post by nfl, interrupted by a double post by TMedina. Now I've seen everything.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I bet wow, first post is still loading on another screen. I bet the mods are doing something, or a bunch of people are reporting something. Really weird. I only posted because I wanted to see how many posts I would have. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not only in this thread, it's a Hatrack problem. I wonder if this post will get through, as my previous ones didn't...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Really weird. 2 by Bob, 3 by nfl, then TMedina, 2 more nfl, TMedina, 4 nfl. That's 9 of the same post for nfl, interrupted by a weird double post by TMedina. And it ate two of my posts. Though, they could eventually show up. I wonder how many I'll have.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The weirdest is an exact copy of nfl's triple post posted by Phanto. Which makes me think Phanto copied it as a joke. Or nfl and Phanto are the same person, and he tried his other name because it looked like the first one wasn't working.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Weird.

Hatrack wasn't letting me post, so I kept hitting "stop" on my browser and resending. I'm amazed it only got through 2x.

Phanto, I know lots of people who use the term, including many Jews. Perhaps it's considered mildly pejorative, or mildly racist/sexist by some.

But still, it has no place here.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not Phanto. Its possible Phanto either did it as a joke or its another screwup by the forum. I won't repost this post, I won't repost this post, I won't...
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Could Phanto please delete his post so it doesn't confuse anyone else?
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was the coward commentary because he is/was French or because of his harassing a young woman?

One is French-bashing, the other is not.

-Trevor

Wow.

Is logic your middle name by any chance?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

Redundant Material

[ December 07, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Jar Head ]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

quote:
Jar Head, have you thought about joining one of the paramilitary mercenary organizations that are active in the world's various hotspots? Sounds like you'd get satisfaction from doing so. Considering the lifetime stretching before you a pale shadow of what came before would be a fairly depressing thing, I'd think.
Every pretty girl must face the fact that she is getting older and being pushed aside by new talent. I would never consider being a Mercenary the fact that you think a Marine and a Merc are the same makes me sad for you. Someone failed in your education. A Marine fights for the United States of America not personal gain.

I have been put on a list of people willing to take trucking jobs in Iraq, because this is a thing I can do with all the skills that I have gained. Yes I would be paid well, but my work would be for the military and its mission.

[ December 07, 2004, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Jar Head ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's been officially designated as Trevor "Mr. Obvious" Medina.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

quote:
[Confused] Huh? [Confused]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

quote:
[Confused] Huh? [Confused]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Phanto, at 6:09 you made a post that is an exact copy of newfoundlogic's post. We confuse people enough here without you pretending to be nfl. [Wink]

Have you been reading the thread? Go back and look at the posts.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Its between KoM's and Noemon's posts, and Bob responded to you as opposed to me, clearly thinking that it was your comment.

Edit: I tried to stop the other post, but I guess I couldn't. That it makes it at least partly my fault.

[ December 07, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
the fact that you think a Marine and a Merc are the same makes me sad for you. Someone failed in your education. A Marine fights for the United States of America not personal gain.
Well, I hope you'll be able to contain your tears. I hate the thought of you sitting there, forlorn in front of your monitor, having a crying jag on my account. If you need to though, let it out man. Just let it out. It's going to be okay.

::hands Jar Head a box of kleenex::

::waits until Jar Head has finished blowing his nose::

When you said
quote:
To be honest I relish danger and miss it somewhat, I feel at times that the rest of my life is just going to be a pale shadow. I have been shot at, I have stormed an embassy to take it back, I have been in countless brawls with ROC's, unruly Marines and rioting Okinawans.
The emphasis didn't seem to be on serving your country. It seemed to be on the adrenaline rush of being shot at, storming embassies, getting into brawls, and the like. The complete lack of mention of serving your country in that description led me to believe that it was the thrill of the actions themselves rather than anything else that you were pining over.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jar Head
Member # 7018

yawn
Noemon
Member # 1115

Lots of people get sleepy after a good cry, and, you know, it's getting late. Go ahead and get a solid night's sleep. You'll feel much better in the morning.

::pat pat::

[ December 08, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noem, I just wanna say: You're swell. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has such ajacent thread title potential.

I have nothing of real importance to add, but a funny title set can cheer up some people about stuff. [Dont Know]

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps hand over mouth*

I didn't think about that before, but you're so right!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ok... this professor is officially off his rocker.

Not only does he sexually harrass his students, but he seems to still be stuck in seventeeth century France. Today, a girl, Aviva, asked him a question about grades, because he told her that her midterm was excellent, and she had all the required information and everything. When she got her midterm back, however, she had an 85%. So today she asked him why, and what she could do to improve next time. He said an 85% was a fantastic grade; that in France, there are four spots in the university, and they just take the best four students. So we explained to him hat this isn't France, and that we all need to get into American (or in some cases, Israeli) universities next year... and that an 85% isn't good enough for them. Aviva was told that she needs a minimum of an A- in order to get into her university, which means 90% MINIMUM in all of her classes... she can't say to them "but professor Adler said that it would be ok, that I'm a good student, and that a B is the best grade". He said (and I quote): "To get higher than an 85% you really have to be brilliant, a ga'on... how do you say ga'on in English? Ah yes, genius. You have to be a genius, and show that you are fully capable of high standard scholarly work."

He made Aviva cry... she needs her 90% to get into her University, and because this guy is still stuck in the French Stone Age, he's going to completely screw up her college career. He also said: "I have to take into account that you are all capable of different things. The most brilliant student in this class is Merav... I'm sorry, but that's how it is. So Merav gets the best grade. That's how it works." That's when we pointed out that it's not a ranking system, that more than one person can get an A, but he just doesn't get it!! He really sees it as a hierarchical thing, where the best student gets an A, and everyone else is ranked beneath her. There is no situation in which more than one student can get an A in the class.

Next week, we're all going to go to the head of the undergraduate division and complain. This guy should not be allowed to teach here. He's proven that this year. We're going as a group.

[/RANT]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! I'm so glad you're all going to go complain about this guy, he needs to be gotten rid of.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I didn't have much to add before, but I won't hesitate before wading into debacles involving GPAs and grade inflation.

Last I heard, the system was still:

F - Failing
D - Below Average
C - Average
B - Above Average
A - Exceptional

That being said, it is entirely possible to incorporate all the requirements, and still get a C. You can write a great paper, and still get a B. For me, this is simply the way the systems has (and IMO for the moment should) work. To say the university I went to was stringent in their grading would be a boldfaced lie, but at least my college was a bit more consistent about it. Our program revolved around studios, between 14 and 20 people in each section. It was a miracle if 3 or 4 people made A's. One person making an A wasn't unusual, and occasionally no one made an A (though those normally got challenged to the dean of students). One professor intentionally designed his course that no student would make an A without a curve, and then he simply took the top *blank* percentage and set the A at that level. Do I agree with that approach, not really. Did I claw my way into that percentage, absolutely.

Since there is no all-encompassing system to grade classes, and the percentage of A and B students is never the same, the subjectiveness of the professor is part of the university system. I personally applaud professors who refuse to give 50% A's and the rest accordingly. If I went into a class knowing that the top half got an A, the odds of me ever participating or studying outside of class would have been nil. I'd rather attempt to excel, and run the risk of only being above average (Lord knows that happens, and very nearly to everyone).

This professor certainly sounds like he has issues, but strict grading, being old, and being French probably aren't part of the ones you should attempt to confront authority with. I would suggest tackling the sexual harassment issue first and separately. I can't imagine bringing in the "He's only giving the best student an A" argument would support for you or your class's cause.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Just one thing: I don't consider being old or being French reasons to complain. But it's true that his methods are very old-fashioned, and I wouldn't have brought up the French thing at all if he hadn't said it himself... he SAID "This is how they do it in France, so this is what I'm doing." Well, good morning, we're not in France! [Razz]
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
This is REALLY how professors grade in France, now, but you're right to say he should be up to date with the country he gives grades in.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

What bugs me, Feyd, is that he doesn't have a system to his grading... it's not that he's just a harsh grader. He sort of hands grades out randomly according to where he sees his students in relation to each other. He doesn't grade according to a scale.

Anna... exactly. [Smile]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was different for a farily non-objective major, but grading as I observered was always based on two things: meeting the criteria and relation to the other students. Where the are no right-or-wrong answers, it will be the professor's opinions of merit that result in the grade. That should you request clarification on why you got a certain grade result in being told a list of very gray reasons seems about par for the course. Even worse (or better) in some majors projects are often graded heavily on aspects other than the final product (development, process, etc). That makes the process potentially even less strucutred.

And I have no doubt they grade like that in France (my thesis advisor grew up, graduated from, and taught university there). But my point was it is not an exclusively French way of approaching grades. I have no clue what the norm is in Israel, so I don't know how far off kilter he may be. While I doubt professors like him are a majority here in the US, you're going to see them regardless of age, race, culture, gender, and so on.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, I know I'll see them... but that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Raia - I'm sure Mr. Binks wishes you well, too.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
well given his two issues, an obvious solution presents itself.

Hee Hee [ROFL]

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

What I meant is that in France, you are supposely graded on a scale from 0 to 20. But in reality, and especialy in courses like litterature or history, and more and more followintg the age of the student, you CANNNOT have more than 15 or 16, unless you're a darn genious.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Mr. Binks? [Confused]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What I meant is that in France, you are supposely graded on a scale from 0 to 20. But in reality, and especialy in courses like litterature or history, and more and more followintg the age of the student, you CANNNOT have more than 15 or 16, unless you're a darn genious.

This makes no sense whatsoever.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I know. My mother has been fighting against that system during all my sister's and my scolarity, but nothing changes. The idea is that in courses like litterature 20 would mean perfect and no one can do a perfect job in this course and yadda yadda yadda. Basically it is not a problem since everyone knows that you are in reality graded between 0 and 15 (or 16) and not 0 and 20. But it's still annoying.
Noemon
Member # 1115

rivka, just saw what you'd posted. Thanks!

:: likes rivka a lot too ::

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basically it is not a problem since everyone knows that you are in reality graded between 0 and 15 (or 16) and not 0 and 20. But it's still annoying.
I think that's the problem here, because universities in the US and Israel expect you to be graded between a 'F' and an 'A', while this teacher is essentially grading them between a 'F' and a 'B' which makes a huge difference.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*nod* Adler may know that people in France expect this, but he's not in France anymore. American and Israeli universities look at the percentage, and don't make allowances of that kind.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.