FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Un Français parmis vous (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Un Français parmis vous
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody.
Well ! Anna wants i discrib me better. So For that i want to use more french sentences than I'll do later. But, for everybody, i try to translate in english (and i'm not very strong in the Shakespeare's language [Big Grin] )

Je suis un jeune ingénieur de 25 ans qui travaille à Paris (en France, pas au Texas).
I am a young 25 year old Engineer who work in Paris (in France, not in Texas)
J'adore jouer aux échecs dans mon club qui se situe à coté de la butte Montmartre.
I love play chess in my club which is near the butte Montmartre.
J'aime beaucoup faire la cuisine pour mes amis (et manger avec eux [Wink] )
I like very much cooking for my friends (and eat with them [Wink] )

J'aime me balader dans Paris, faire les bouquinistes et autres magasins, visiter les musées, ou simplement m'asseoir au bord de la Seine.
I like walking in Paris, going in the bookshop and other shop, visiting museums, or simply sit down on the verge of the Seine.

J'aime lire les livres d'auteurs comme Moorcock, Pratchett, Leblanc, et biensûr OSC. J'aime aussi les livres plus théoriques sur les échecs, la stratégie, la sociologie.
I like readind the books of authors like Moorcock, Pratchett, Leblanc, and actually OSC.
I like too books more theorical on Chess, Strategy, or Sociology.

Et surtout, j'adore la musique ! Quand je peux, je vais au théatre des Champs Elysées écouter les grands orchestres jouer des morceaux de musiques Classiques. (Debussy, Bach, Chostakovich, Tchaikovski,...)
And above all, I love music ! When i can, I go at the théatre des Champs Elysées to listen the great Orchestras play some Classical piece. (Debussy, Bach, Chostakovich, Tchaikovski,...)

I hope I don't make a mistake in my translation.
I would like to say hello to all members of this forum community.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You made several mistakes in translation, but that's largely because of the different ways the French and English languages treat articles.

Welcome aboard. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hello! It's good to see another European show up on this forum. [Big Grin] (I am from the Netherlands, by the way)

[Party]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. You are cool. You like Tchaikovski. Have you heard Eugene Onegin? I love that opera.
And also, Dmitri Hvorostovsky does some wonderful Tchaikovski stuff liike all these songs accompanied by a piano that I never knew about before that are just lovely and divine.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to make sure Ivygirl sees this thread -- she's been fanatical about her French studies in high school -- talking in French all the time at home. She will love reading this.

Welcome, Choobak! [Wave]

quote:
Have you heard Eugene Onegin?
I read that as "Eugene, Oregon", Syn. [ROFL]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Wave]
I live in Lille, I'm a school librarian and am married to an engineer [Wink]
I hope you'll feel good here. You'll find people to be very indulgent with your languages mistakes (at last they are with mines [Smile] ). It's really the best Internet forum I ever saw. If you want to talk seriously about any subject you can, if you want to laugh you can, and if you need support, you'll find it. So... Enjoy !
For now I think I'm the only French here, but if you want to speak French you may want to meet Annie, she's American and she loves France [Smile]
BTW, what do you like to cook ? My hubby and I are indian food fans !

[ December 07, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! Welcome to Hatrack!

I can't understand french at all, but I'm glad you're here... I like having more international perspectives.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Choobak!

I'm Romanian but have studied in France for the last four years (first two in Rouen, the next two in Lyon). I'm currently in Montreal, and, believe it or not, I'm starting to miss hearing REAL French! :le sigh: [Smile]

I'm also a chess addict, but I've never been in a club or tournament, if you don't count the university's club, that is... As for chess books, I never had the money to buy them, so for now I'm stuck with some Romanian ones my father bought about 15-20 years ago.

By the way, you say you're an engineer: what field do you work in? I'm studying Computer Sciences, as you can see from my profile.

And... Welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Wow !! And just in 10 minutes !! Thanks for all this reply !

So I want to retail some point about me (because of your question [Razz] )

I like cooking crepe and i am very good for that !
One friend said to me "There are better than my mother's !" I became all red [Blushing]
I cook many french dish as grattin de choufleur or saumon à la sauce blanche.

TomDavidson, Thank you for your comprehension. Don't hesitate to point me my mistakes : I want to progress in English [Wink]

Ginette, I'm happy to know you ! Beautiful country that yours.

Synesthesia, I don't know Eugene Onegin or Dmitri Hvorostovsky. I'm so Sorry, But when i have any occasion, I try to heard. Thank you for the tip.

Farmgirl, I am happy my language is so appreciate by someone like Ivygirl. I can write in french when you want. [Big Grin]

Anna, I am from The Arts et Métiers Engineer School. I know we have a center at Lille (my Brother followed his studies here). Is Your Husband Gadz'Arts ?

ElJay, I am agree with you : "It's a wonderful world" as Armstrong sang. It is not a problem you don't understand french because i speak English (so bad [Big Grin] )

Corwin, I am happy to know you too. French and Romanian are very link. I work on Computer Science, on information system consulting and on Knowledge Management. Maybe, we'll play a game a day ?

Sorry for others who respond durring i wrote this lines, but i'm a few slow [Smile]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

My hubby is in Computer science (oui, ingénieur informaticien, et tu as le droit de penser à la chanson... Note que s'il était comme ça je ne l'aurais pas épousé ! )
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
J'ai etudié français a l'école mais je ne suis pas bon a l'écrit.

Bienvenue! [Smile]

EDIT: *sneakily changes it so it's right [Evil Laugh] *

[ December 07, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue a Hatrack! [Wave]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue, Choobak. Tu es Wookie? [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Teshi: It's "à l'écrit". And "français", languages are masculine. But if you say "the French language" then it would be "la langue française"... Complicated, huh? [Big Grin]

quote:
ingénieur informaticien, et tu as le droit de penser à la chanson...
Hehe, there was a guy in Lyon that sang that song in a Communications class! It was hilarious, since I couldn't tell if he was worse at playing guitar or singing! [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

lol !! Je suis aussi un peu un Ingénieur informatitien... For all understand-french-less [Wink] , I said i am also a few Computer Scientist. In France we have such a hilarious song about this type of guys that I am all red shamed.
advice for robots, oui, je suis un wookie [ROFL]
(yes i'm a wookie : I am a big star wars fan !)

Good, Teshi, Good ! Your effort please to me !

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, bienvenue!

Donc, est-ce que tu habites près de Montmartre? Ca c'est un des lieux les plus beaux du monde!

Moi, je suis en train de finir mes études et je recevrai un diplôme bachelier dans le français ce mois. (Mais, c'est pas évident que je suis bachelier de français dans mon écriture. Toujours, j'ai besion de pratiquer!)

Maintenant, je doit écrire une dissertation sur Marianne - et je compare le symbole national avec les evenements et progressions de l'art modern. Mais bien sûr, Hatrack est beaucoup plus intéresssant que les études. [Smile]

Je suis heureuse de te voir ici, et je souhait que tu soit bienvenu!

(edited to clarify my gender :blush:)

[ December 07, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
J'aime aussi les livres plus théoriques sur les échecs, la stratégie, la sociologie.
Est-ce tu as lu La misère du monde de Bordieu? C'est le livre le plus grand en français que j'ai lu, et même que c'était dense et dificile, je l'aimait bien.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

En fait, j'habite Levallois, mais mon club est à coté de Montmartre. Tous les lundis, en rentrant de mon club, je passe devant la Basilique du Sacre-Coeur. C'est magnifique. Si tu veux discuter en français et pratiquer cette jolie langue, je suis ton homme ! [Big Grin] Bonne chance pour ton Baccalauréat.
wow ! Tu ne lis pas n'importe quoi ! Non, je ne l'ai pas lu (il y a tellement de livres à lire) En revenche, j'ai lu beaucoup d'autres auteurs (Zola, Stendhal, Maupassant, Descartes,...). Et J'adore la poésie ! (Rimbaud, Beaudelaire, Victor Hugo,...)

[ December 07, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Moi, je pense que la langue francais est une des plus belles du monde.

Mais l'anglais est la plus utile. [Big Grin]

[ December 07, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Je corrigerais ton anglais, Choobak, pour que tu deviendrais plus bon. Peut-être tu peux corriger mon français ? Les corrections seraient dans les [].

quote:
Hello everybody.
Well ! Anna wants [me to describe myself] better. I want to use more French sentences than [I will] later. But, for everybody, [I will] try to translate in English ([even though] I'm not very strong [in Shakespeare's language] )

I am a young [25-year-old] Engineer who [works] in Paris (in France, not in Texas)
I love [to] play chess in my club which is near the butte Montmartre.
I like very much cooking for my friends (and [eating] with them )

I like walking in Paris, going in the [bookshops] and other [shops], visiting museums, or simply [sitting] down on the verge of the Seine. (probably we’d say “on the banks of the Seine”)

I like [reading] the books of authors like Moorcock, Pratchett, Leblanc, and [of course] OSC.
I [also like more theoretical books] on Chess, Strategy, or Sociology.

And above all, I love music ! When [I] can, I go at the [theater at] Champs Elysées to listen [to] the great Orchestras play some Classical pieces. (Debussy, Bach, Chostakovich, Tchaikovski,...)

I hope I don't make a mistake in my translation.
I would like to say hello to all members of this forum community.

Bienvenue à Hatrack, Choobak! Moi, je suis une étudiante Américaine qui a étudier la français depuis (mon dieu) six ou sept ans. Mais je ne suis pas très bon à le parler ou le écriver. Je suis en train d’oublier le français parce que j’ai aussi étudie le japonais. Je suis un mauvaise étudiante de la français…

Je suis heureuse que tu est là, parce que maintenant je peux practiquer. [Big Grin]

Of course, now I'm not sure whether it should be bienvenue à Hatrack or bienvenue au Hatrack? I suppose it depends on whether you pronounce the H ou pas. But anyway, welcome!! [Smile] I hope you enjoy our community.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from Canada!

Ici on a deux langues officielles -- l'anglais et la français. Moi, je suis anglophone, mais un de mes meilleurs amis est bilingue (il vient de la Québec), alors de temps en temps je peux pratiquer la lingua franca.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

twinky, some would disagree with the fact that Quebec people speak 'French'... [Razz]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin:
According to my French-Canadian History teacher, Québecois was a dialect that originally came from Northern France, but when the French language in France was all conformed to parisian french, the dialect was lost. maybe that is just my history teacher,but it is what I know.

je suis un membre très nouvelle à Hatrack. Bonjour!

~Dessy

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! My French isn't as rusty as I thought, although I maintain my love/hate relationship with it. Anyway, welcome Choobak.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first heard the term Québecois, I thought that it was Quebec Quoi?

I found out I was wrong when I made (what I thought was a funny) remark about no one understanding Canadian French and therefore it was called Quebec Quoi?

My Québecois friend didn't think it was funny.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Coccinelle [ROFL]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue, Choobak! Mon francais est horrible, donc je ne vais pas essayer!

Welcome! [Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

So fun ! You are all very friendly. That's right about English and French (useful and beautiful) but I think Chinese will become more and more important.
Ryuko, your french is not so bad (compared to my poor English). On dit bien : "Bienvenue à Hatrack !" Le H n'as pas la même importance en Français qu'en Anglais. En Anglais, le H est plus important.
For your help, I correct your sentenses :

Je corrigerais ton anglais, Choobak, pour que tu [deviennes meilleur]. Peut-être [peux-tu] corriger mon français ? Les corrections [seront] dans les [].

Bienvenue à Hatrack, Choobak! Moi, je suis une étudiante Américaine qui a [étudié] (I frequently make this mistake myself [Razz] ) [le] français depuis (mon dieu) six ou sept ans. Mais je ne suis pas très bon[ne] [pour] le parler ou [l'écrire] (This horible 3rd group verb ! french is so difficult for that. Je suis en train d’oublier le français parce que j’ai aussi étudi[é] (les accents : quelle galère !) le japonais. Je suis un[e] mauvaise étudiante [du] français…

Je suis heureuse que tu [sois] là, parce que maintenant je peux practiquer.

French are very hard to use but don't shame : we like your tone and your mistake. It's exotic [Wink]

But when i look all my own mistakes in English (and in french [Big Grin] ) I can't laugh at you. [Blushing] Merci pour tes corrections.

I want to explain my affection for Canadians whom defend our language. Our language are a few different but just in images and popular expression.
I salute all francophone and francophile, specially inhabitants of Louisiane and the middle of the USA.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, most welcome, to hatrack! We will do our best to undermine your knowledge of correct English with our slang! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Cool !!! [Party]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Coccinelle, that IS funny! Just not to Quebec people... [Wink]

A French friend of mine watched a Quebec-made movie a couple of days ago and understood around half of it! Same language, huh?!

Dessy, I don't know anything about how the French Quebec dialect appeared, or about the French language in general, I only made a sarcastic remark about it because I know French people have problems understanding the way it's spoken over here! (see my example above) [Big Grin] And thanks for the history lesson! [Hat]

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! Cool! Another french speaker!

We are SO taking over the world, baby! Vive le Hatraque libre! Hatraquiens, je vous ai compris!

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hola [Wave]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

- posted      Profile for blackcatwings   Email blackcatwings         Edit/Delete Post 
Salut! Actually, this is Ivygirl, but I'm at bcw's house, so I'm on her signin! [Big Grin] I think I've been on everyone else's but mine.

Anyway, welcome Choobak! Anytime you could type French would be great because I'm only in French One and could use the practice. I don't know very many words, but je adore français! [Big Grin] ça va? Tu es nouveau maintenant, but (still haven't learned that word) les gens est sympa. Okay, that's about all I have to say, although I do know a LITTLE more than that. [Smile]

Welcome again!

Ivygirl

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Whatever you do, and however innocuous your intentions, never refer to a Québecois friend's language as a patois. Especially if said friend is violent.

A friend of mine in my conversation class has Québecois heritage and likes to tell me constantly how it is an older and therefore more correct dialect and that Parisian has polluted a once-beautiful language. [Smile] Of course, if he had his way, we might presently need translators between Norman and Occitan.

Choobak
Member # 7083

Beautiful, Ivygirl ! J'adore quand tu écris en français. Québecois and Parisian have differences in their languages like English and Australian. We have some difference but we understand most of the words and the sentence.
Accent is not a problem but...
In the south of France, in the town of Castre and around, Frenches have a strong accent : l'accent qui chante avec les cigales. I remember a hard morning [Wall Bash] with a friend from Castre in workshop at school. When he spoke, i couldn't understand because he spoke in is beard. [Confused]

Raia
Member # 4700

Ivygirl, "but" is "mais" en français. [Smile]

Choobak, je pense que je vais pratiquer mon francais içi, parce que je vais oublier le tout! S'il vous plait, tu peux dire à moi quand ma grammaire est horrible, et <<correct>> mon <<mistakes>>!

Desolée, probablement tu ne veux pas travailler, et ma français est vraiment horrible. Il y a beaucoup de places ou j'ai besoin d'aider!

*looks at French, and shudders*

*walks away*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Pas de problème : c'est un plaisir pour moi que d'aider ceux qui veulent améliorer leur français :

commençons [my note are under "[]" in English (i must work it [Big Grin] )] :

quote:
Choobak, je pense que je vais pratiquer [very good ! no mistake here. It's a difficulty of french : must i write "er" or "é" ? a tip : replace the first group verb by "faire". if it sing better with "fait", use "é" else use "er".] mon francais içi ["ici". "c" is prononced "sss" if it is followed by "e", "i", and "y". "ç" is when we want the "sss" when it 's followed by "a", "o" or "u" as "reçu"... hard ! [Wall Bash] ], parce que je vais oublier le tout! S'il vous plait [you can "tutoyer" me : use "te" [Wink] ], tu peux dire à moi [said "tu peux me dire". it's fluider.] quand ma grammaire est horrible, et <<correct>> mon <<mistakes>>!

Desolée, probablement tu ne veux pas travailler, et ma français [little agreement fault : "mon français"] est vraiment horrible [there is worse than you [Smile] ]. Il y a beaucoup de places ou j'ai besoin d'aider! [lol. I understand what you want to write : "Il y a beaucoup de points où j'ai besoin d'aide"]

C'est plutôt pas mal ! If you want more help i can help you. Continue comme ça et tout le monde pensera que tu es Français(e ?) (are you a girl or a boy ?)

Bon courage

Annie
Member # 295

Et aussi je vais profiter de notre nouveau ami en demandant ses opinions sur la musique francophone.

J'aime bien beaucoup de musique française, surtout Zebda (qui chantent avec un accent affreux de Toulouse [Smile] ) et le raï, mais aussi j'aime le rock français, specifiquement un disque de Frandol que j'ai. Qu'est-ce que tu préconises? Quelles sortes de musique aimes-tu?

(edit: erreur de genre)

[ December 09, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Raia
Member # 4700

Ah, c'est magnifique! Merci, Choobak! Maintenant, je peux améliorer mon français! [Wink]

J'ai eu une mauvaise prof en école, donc j'ai oubliée le tout quand j'était <<supposed to>> m'apprendre!

Et c'est Française... je suis une fille. [Smile] Merci pour tes compliments! C'est trop généreux!

Corwin
Member # 5705

Ok, since Choobak seems to be busy right now, I'll step in and help you, Raia:

First, if you want to say: "I forgot it all", instead of "j'ai oubliée le tout" you'd want to say:
- "j'ai tout oublié" <=> "I forgot everything" (close to "I forgot it all")
- "je l'ai complètement oublié" = "I forgot it entirely", where the "l'" refers directly to "the French"

Your phrasing can be used too, but it doesn't seem to fit in the context. Of course, Choobak will come and say I'm wrong, but hey, he's French, what does he know?! [Wink] (Warning: joke, joke, joke!)

Notice that you also don't need to accord the subject "je" with the past participle in this case, because the auxiliary verb is "avoir". (there are exceptions, but you won't encounter them if you keep it simple) You have to accord the two if the auxiliary verb is "être". For example, if a girl says "I went...", it's "Je suis allée".

quote:
quand j'était <<supposed to>> m'apprendre!
Ugh, I'm having problems understanding what you wanted to say... "I forgot everything I was supposed to learn"? In this case, "quand" (when) doesn't really belong there, and you'd like to say "donc j'ai oublié tout ce que j'était supposée apprendre". You also have an example of a verb conjugated with "être", where you have to accord the participle with the subject: "j'était supposée".

Phew, enough for now. This reminds me of the time my friend's sister was trying to speak French and I was correcting her every other word. I'm glad I don't have to do it that often in your case! [Big Grin]

And I have a question, for everyone who speaks more than one language fluently: do you mix the two? In terms of words, but also in terms of phrasing, I mean. Among the Romanian students in France it has become quite usual to use many French words, sometimes pronounced Romanian-like... It's funny when you go home and have to remember to substitute the REAL Romanian word every time... This is less common with the phrase syntax, but it's more awkward when it DOES happen... I've had my share of amazed glances... [Blushing]

Edit: Hmm... Anna made me reread my post, something I should have done BEFORE posting it... Oh well, one mistake gone, don't know how many others remaining!

[ December 09, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Anna
Member # 2582

It happens to me too, Corwin ! I find myself thinking an English word and unable to find a good translation. Most of the time, it's because a good translation doesn't exist... Your corrections were all good. I guess I would say "j'ai oublié tout ce que j'aurais dû apprendre".
Corwin
Member # 5705

Anna, thanks for the confirmation. And yes, your pharsing sounds better than what I wrote; I was stuck with the verb "suppose", I... err... suppose... [Dont Know]

quote:
...unable to find a good translation. Most of the time, it's because a good translation doesn't exist...
See, there's a difference with us. We use "batiment", a Romanian form of "résidence", "resto", and stuff like that just because we don't bother using the perfectly suited Romanian equivalent. We use those words when talking to foreign students around here, and we just go ahead and use them in Romanian too. Just lazy... [Big Grin]

A thing that's even stranger happened to me several times when I was really, really tired. I would start thinking in Romanian, and then talk to non-Romanian colleagues in Romanian too! They would just give me a blank look... Can't blame them! [Wink]

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Ugh, I'm having problems understanding what you wanted to say... "I forgot everything I was supposed to learn"? In this case, "quand" (when) doesn't really belong there, and you'd like to say "donc j'ai oublié tout ce que j'était supposée apprendre". You also have an example of a verb conjugated with "être", where you have to accord the participle with the subject: "j'était supposée".

What I tried to say is "I forgot everything when I was supposed to be learning," I think...
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bienvenue Choobak!

J'adore parler en francais, et j'espere que je vais etre plus fluide, alors, quand tu ecrit en francais j'aime l'opportunite de practiquer.

It's so much harder to write in French! I am in awe of your abilities in English! [Hat]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hee hee. I know what you mean, Corwin. I was chatting with my Moroccan friend the other day between classes, and we'd switch back and forth between French and English. Suddenly, she started a sentence off entirely in Arabic and it took a few moments of my blank stares before she even realized it. [Smile]
Annie
Member # 295

Dragon, I think instead of saying "plus fluide," I would say "parler plus courrament." But I could be wrong.
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like readind the books of authors like Moorcock
Someone else here reads Moorcock!

*jumps up and down*

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here goes, I'm going to try.
Bien sûr, je ne sais pas mais un peu français. Corrigez-moi quand j'ai tort, puisque j'essaye d'aller mieux. (By the way, I didn't do that last sentence by myself, I had to use a translator, but I needed to say that sentence.) [Big Grin]
J'ai quinze ans. Je habite une ferme, et j'ai les chiens, les chats, les poulets, et un cheval. Il est six heures treize du soir. C'est jeudi, le neuf decembre. Je suis sur l'ordinateur aujourd'hui. J'ai les devoirs, mais mouais! J'ai trois fréres, et zéro soeurs. Je veux le weekend maintenant! [Big Grin]
Okay, I'm out for now, because I have to get off l'ordinateur, but I'll be back!
Au bientôt!

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Moi? Je ne parle pas français. Je veux, mais ne parle. Par contre, je parle angalis trés bien. Et je parle un peu de l'Hebrew et de le Russian.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.