FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mixing Drinks, What's your favorite? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mixing Drinks, What's your favorite?
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I'm rather partial to the Sliding Glass Door, the Plastic Rivet, the Cute Girl Who Farts, the One-Stop-Shopper, the Disembowled Canine, the Elvis Impersonator, the Magellan's Expedition, and the Dangling Participle.

Okay, I made all of those up. As far as I know. But considering some of the real names of mixed drinks, I wouldn't be surprised to find any of those in a bar. (I mean, really. Who the hell names a drink "Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall"?)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Because it probably has orange juice and Southern Comfort in it. I'd imagine.

Did I mention I started tending bar a month ago?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wine lovers across the country just heard a noise like millions of voices crying out in pain, then suddenly silenced.
Brilliant.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Vodka and just about anything suites me just fine. I also have grown a love for strait scotch, but i tend to drink too much of that.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to make a Romulan Ale? I had them at a con...oh, pre-kids, and all I remember is vodka and Blue Caraco.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a few different recipes floating around on the Web for an earth-bound version of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

The only use I have for vodka is running covert ops, or as a solvent. And I have only run covert ops a few times. I have never had a martini, but I would refuse to drink such an abomination as a "vodka martini".

Mint julep - Make a syrup by boiling sugar and water together for about five minutes. Add several sprigs of bruised mint and place in a covered container. Refrigerate overnight. Pack crushed ice into a cup. Add 1 tablespoon syrup and two ounces of Kentucky bourbon, and garnish with a fresh mint sprig.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"(I mean, really. Who the hell names a drink "Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall"?)"

There is a logic to drink names. A "Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall" is a screwdriver with Southern Comfort, sloe gin, and galliano (from a Wallbanger.)

If you needed a drink called "Disembowled Canine," you should first come up with a complicated drink named, say, "Hair of the Dog." Then you could invent a drink called a Bowler Hat, which contained several of the ingredients in the Hair of the Dog. A Disembowled Dog, then, would be a Hair of the Dog minus the ingredients shared by the Bowler Hat recipe.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you're good. All this time, I thought they just picked the name to sound dirty. That's kind of cool, actually.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think most people would drink the dissemboweled dog, tom.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

If it was good, I'd drink it.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was introduced to Romulian Ale while singing karioki with Klingons. Strange. But one of the guys was very proud of his home brewed Romulian ale. And, I must say, it was quite a kick in the head. But I dont remember how he made it. Nothing like hanging with a group of drunk bikers dressed up like Klingons, drinking Romulian ale, to let you know your a nerd.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6792

(Suffering a hangover)

"This stuff should be illegal."

"It is."

Who said that and where? Worf and someone else?

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like kamakazi's, but that is a shot not a drink.

You can get it as a drink, but if you do don;t ever tell me...I'd have to slap you. [Big Grin]

I like making my own rasberry lemonade, with rasberry vodka....or you can use regular vodka and rasberry lemonade mix, I guess.

I also really like Cabo Wabo tequila, and the Sauza stuff isn't bad either. Stay away form anything by Jose Quervo, as it all sucks compared to real aguave tequila.Linky to CaboWabo.

Kwea

[ January 15, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack and Coke. Very simple, very good.

Ralphie, what's the name of that beer you love so much? Is it Terminator? Why haven't you sent me any?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing like hanging with a group of drunk bikers dressed up like Klingons,
It really is a small step from one to the other, isn't it?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I understand your reference but not the reason for it...please explain and I shall try and remedy what happened.

Oh, and I just discovered Ginger Ale and Malibu Rum...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so smooth.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom, I understand your reference but not the reason for it...please explain and I shall try and remedy what happened."

Well, this is going to sound really snooty, but saying you've had a red wine and a white wine is like saying you've had a meat and a vegetable. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand they have names and years, but I did not ask what any of them where. My mother and her fiance are very large fans of wine, and what I had was what they bought, so I trust it was pretty good, whatever it was.

Sorry. [Razz]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie, what's the name of that beer you love so much? Is it Terminator? Why haven't you sent me any?
Zan - If you e-mail me your address, I'll send you some.

Seriously.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just realized I should have had an apostrophe after the n in hanging, instead of a g. Yes. Hangin', not hanging. Makes such a difference in the overall context of my experience with those damn bikers.

edit: and somehow, it seems that I am doomed to always post after Ralphie, no matter how much time has passed. Weird.

[ January 15, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: foundling ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to throw in my two cents here.

The Manhattan is the best mixed drink ever devised, hands down. Coming in a distant second is a dry Bombay martini with a twist. For a pick me up, a prarie fire is perfect, that's tequila and Tabasco to the uninformed.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as drinks go, I'll drink anything. It's actually a pretty bad habit of mine, but I rarely get horribly sick-drunk. I will at least try anything, though.

As for favourites... wow. Like I said, I'll drink anything, but I do prefer tequila, much to the chagrin of pretty much everyone I know. Apparently a lot of people have had bad experiences with it... [Wink] If you like margaritas but don't have mix or anything but tequila and ice, use Sprite (or a similarly flavoured soda). It's quite good, really.

And can anyone explain the origins of the Monkey Humper? I think (this was a couple years ago that I had it) it had pineapple juice, orange juice, peach schnapps, and rum, but I'm not entirely sure. It's also rather detrimental that I didn't actually see the drink being prepared.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6792

I can count the number of times I have been sick from alcohol on one hand. Tequila was the only time I got sick from the taste alone. I have been scared ever since.
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Gin martinis. They have to be made with Bombay Blue Saphire gin, and stirred in a glass jug with glass stirrer - a metal shaker can "bruise" the gin.

Served ice-cold with an olive and it's a truly breathtaking cocktail.

The first time you try one your reaction will be "WHA-HEY-HEY-HEY!!" - after which you'll vow to never take another drink. But then it's aftertaste will beging to work on you and you'll want more.

Then you'll be hooked.

But I'd like to say something on alcohol in general;

There's no point in drinking poor-quality alcohol. You won't enjoy it, it'll give you a poor view of that particular type of alcohol (Tequila is one of the most-maligned liquors due to poor-quality brews)and your body will hate it.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Well, I don't know what Ralphie drinks, but I know I had a beer once called Optimator that was just wonderful. I'm not much of a beer fan, but something about this one just made me happy.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, did you ever try any of the Stone brews? Arrogant Bastard, etc? I remember we discussed this once in another thread.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My recent favorite is mango rum and sprite. Yum.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.