FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death Cookies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death Cookies
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&e=2&u=/nm/odd_cookies_dc

quote:
A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.
The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.
Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.
The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."
The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They get sued for doing something nice. *Shakes head*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What a ... well, I can't say. But you know what I mean.

I hate to think what's going to be left on her doorstep now. But it will probably be on fire and probably contain something suitable for fertilizer.

Quotes from an article in the Daily Breeze

quote:
"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said Thursday afternoon. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."
quote:
Young said the girls showed "very poor judgment."
quote:
The girls wrote letters of apology to Young, with Taylor saying in part, "I just wanted you to know that someone cared about you and your family."

The families had offered to pay Young's medical bills if she would agree to indemnify the families against future claims. Young wouldn't sign the agreement. She said the families' apologies rang false and weren't delivered in person, so she brought the matter to court.

I have nothing nice to say about this woman.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The world has gone rather sad . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when I was seven years old, someone left one of those candy hearts on my desk that said "Be Mine." And I spent nearly the next two months obsessing over who it might have been. It never occurred to me that, once I found out, I could have sued.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

To be fair, my apologies might have rang false in this situation as well. I'm not so good an actor that I could keep the contempt from my voice or writing tone.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wonder what kind of mental illness Ms. Young possesses that would enable anonymous cookie deliveries to put her into the hospital.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sucks to be them, neh?

The girls could not have shown poor judgement, if there had not been any knowledge to judge upon.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Tom, I was just wondering that.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'd have taken their case free of charge. I don't know what the rules for negligent infliction of mental distress are in that state, but I'd be surprised if they're supposed to cover this situation.

Dagonee

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what happened to the cookies.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.
This sounds like something from the Brady Bunch movie.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not mind if someone left me cookies, as long as they were not filled with chocolate laxatives or poison.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Can some laywers or legal guru's help me understand why the girls are liable for this, if they had no prior knowledge of Mrs. Young's disability, and were acting in their normal behaviour of being good people? I'm curious is all, and would like better understanding.

[ February 05, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The "lesson" that these girls learned is that no good deed goes unpunished. Those who harm people who were only trying to be nice to them stifle such actions and make the world a worse place.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ten thirty is late, yes, but any community that has a curfew for minors has one that is at least eleven or later... so judging on that is just an opinion.

Does this mean that every single person with social anxiety disorder can sue every person who makes them nervous or every crowd that they have to speak in front of? I really don't understand this ruling.

Also, I don't understand what cursing has to do with anything...

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll sue Myr for making me nervous about meeting her in NYC.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can sue the whole world for making me nervous...
I'd get a lot of money $_$

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Can some laywers or legal guru's help me understand why the girls are liable for this, if they had no prior knowledge of Mrs. Young's disability, and were acting in their normal behaviour of being good people? I'm curious is all, and would like better understanding.
I'm assuming the judge was using negligent infliction of mental distress, which is a cause of action all over the map.

Here's from a Colorado Supreme Court Case, Towns v. Anderson, 195 Colo. 517 (1978) - (can't link, it's Lexis):

quote:
If a defendant's conduct is negligent as creating an unreasonable risk of causing either bodily harm or emotional disturbance to another, and it results in such emotional disturbance alone, without bodily harm or other compensable damage, defendant is not liable for such emotional disturbance. On the other hand, long continued nausea or headaches may amount to physical illness, which is bodily harm; and even long continued mental disturbance, as for example in the case of repeated hysterical attacks, or mental aberration, may be classified by the courts as illness, notwithstanding their mental character.

If an actor's conduct is negligent as creating an unreasonable risk of causing bodily harm to another otherwise than by subjecting him to fright, shock, or other similar and immediate emotional disturbance, the fact that such harm results solely from the internal operation of fright or other emotional disturbance does not protect the actor from liability.

I question whether the girls "creat[ed] an unreasonable risk of causing ... emotional disturbance," but causation in this case does seem to follow the Colorado rule.

Dagonee

[ February 05, 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Depends, Syn, would that anxiety cause you to go to the hospital and rack up some med. bills?
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
So uhh, any bets this woman is going to get a visit from the ghosts of Valentine's past, present, and future?

[ February 05, 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As to knowing about her disability, I don't know how that applies. There's something called the eggshell plaintiff doctrine, which says someone injured by your carelessness whose injury is worse because of a medical condition (brittle bones, say) can collect for all their damages, not just what a normal plaintiff would collect.

Courts are widely split on how this doctrine applies to eggshell psyches.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

In a later case, CSC states as dictum: "We have never recognized a cause of action for emotional distress grounded in negligence without proof that the plaintiff sustained physical injury or was in the 'zone of danger.'"

Does this mean the judge found a zone of danger? I wish this opinion were public.

Dagonee

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Yeah ok, mess up on my part.

So from what I interpret is this.

The knock on the door at that late at night was deemed negligent. That negligence triggered the anxiety attack, which cause Mrs. Young to go to the hospital and gain medical bills.

So essentially the court is legally saying that 10:30 is too late to be knocking on someone's door. Good to know. I wonder what limit they DO have as to what time is ok, and what time is not.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm assuming that's the reasoning involved. She did say they "banged," and then ran away. [Dont Know]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"Zone of Danger" triggers "Highway to the DangerZone" in my brain.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the statute of limitations is.

'Cause I once scared a friend so bad with a prank that she cried.

CRIED.

That still makes me laugh. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"You're honor, you don't understand. She's scary. She has SWORDS!"
T_Smith
Member # 3734

In your case it was intentional.
mackillian
Member # 586

We didn't think she'd CRY!

Seriously. It WAS a good prank. A very very old farmhouse out in the Middle Of Nowhere Woods. No lights on, my friend and two others in the living room, just a few candles lighting the large cavernous room.

Three of us sneaking into the cellar and navigating by matchlight, carefully treading up the rickety wooden steps. Then scratching at the back of the basement door, a door that opens right into the dark living room.

Scratch.

Scratch.

Scratch.

One of them says, "Did you hear that?!"

Scratch. Scratch.

Sloooowly start to open the door.

Screams, running, crying, laughing.

We did NOT expect the crying!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

It must be a New England thing. Ever since my sister moved to Vermont she's been pranking people like that. One of them involved a hook...
mackillian
Member # 586

We had one guy dress up in a yellow rain slicker, pants and hat. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's scary no matter what the situation.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.
If she feared she suffered a heart attack, wouldn't she have had to go to the ER immediately , not the next day?

quote:
The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

So the judge is judging that the girls have to pay because he thinks that 10:30 is late for them to be out, regardless of their actual curfew?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a version of this story in my local paper today.

That'll teach those girls for trying to do something nice. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If she feared she suffered a heart attack, wouldn't she have had to go to the ER immediately , not the next day?
I could see lawyers arguing that this very fact makes it impossible for her to prove that the cookies were in fact the cause of her troubles. I really think these girls must have had the worst lawyer on the planet to have the ruling go this way.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Small claims court probably means no lawyers allowed.

If this is an elected position, I don't hold much hope for the judge's second term.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought in small claims court only the prosecution couldn't have a lawyer. [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Could the girls appeal?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
An appeal might cost them more in lawyer fees than paying the fee, but I think this decision is so ridiculous that they could get enough donations to cover the costs.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoooah! Looks like they don't have to pay after all. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
NB, I tried you link several time and it didn;t work.

OK, nevermind..it worked... [Big Grin]

quote:
My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Holy melodrama.

[ February 06, 2005, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town
And no doubt you'll be dearly missed.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just another example of how our society littergates the courts with needless trash.

Perhaps the woman had an phobia connected with Sesame Street. She was paralyzed by a fear that the Cookie Monster was stalking her.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I do see how this woman could become victimized. I actually had a vision of her doorstep covered with cookies every day.
I just don't understand how she could not foresee the backlash over this, and how silly it would make her look.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

"Learned a lesson"
Yeah, don't give treats to old bats -_-
Still, it's nice that they don't have to pay.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.
Wow. This is going to be great when Lifetime turns it into a movie.

Dagonee

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is why I try to get to know the people before I do nice things? no offense to the girls, but I think I remember a similar story when we would do things like this in scouts.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rav. Random kindnesses, while a nice notion, can backfire.

Better to start with the more everyday kindness of actually getting to know the neighbor, before surprising her with cookies, I think.

Not that I think she had any business suing them. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And better not to deliver cookies by knocking on someone's door at 10:30 at night and not answering when she asks "who is it?"

That's not kindness, it's rudeness.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.