FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death Cookies (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death Cookies
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that makes me feel better, that she will not be buried financially.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
May not be. I don't think it works for everyone, I've heard horror stories in the opposite direction, too. I think mostly the well insured and the uninsured are okay, and it's the people with crappy insurance or partial insurance who get the shaft. Plus, of course, trying to pay for insurance if you're on the edge.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(In Texas, in most cases if you can't pay your deductible and are low-income enough or your bills are high enough, you qualify for Medicaid to pay your deductible and your insurance to pay the rest.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I don't understand about the whole debacle:

Did the girls actually end up leaving the cookies?

Because one of the articles mentioned Young spending the night at her sister's house, which means she would have had to leave her own house, which means (more than likely) she would have seen the cookies on the doorstep.

Did she ignore them? Think they were poisoned? If she saw them at all, I don't think there were any grounds for her to file a lawsuit. Someone must have seen the cookies at some point, right?

But

If the girls didn't actually end up leaving the cookies (which none of these articles mentioned) then the good deed is null and void.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda figured she didn't leave through the front door. If she had an attached garage she wouldn't have seen them, or if her car was parked somewhere where she left through a back or side door.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the emergency room one time with a small cut on my wrist.

Above the "proscenium" that surrounded the check in station was a VERY BIG SIGN that said that just checking in, with no additional services required, would result in a charge of $950.

I've got to wonder why these girls decided to give this woman cookies in the first place. My guess is that there was this cranky old woman in their neighborhood, and they thought that giving her a gift would soften her up.

Just my guess tho'

And for the record, I don't think ignorance is rude if the intent is to do a good deed.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The bill is the only part of the story I have no trouble with. First, as people have pointed out, it's actually normal. Second, the judge would require proof of that. Even this judge.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Glenn, if you read the article, it explains that the girls gave cookes to many of their neighbors, in lieu of going to a party.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read the part about not going to a party. I guess I missed the part about giving them to other neighbors.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeah Dag, if I'd been the disk jockey that raised the money for the girls, I think I would have been raising it so they could afford to appeal.

Although it sounds like the extra went for a good cause.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Glenn, I didn't mean to sound like the mean teacher. "Well, if you had read the article..."
Just so you know.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

No problem.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Not even an honorable mention anywhere in the thread.

::sighs::

I've done it to myself, of course. Still. Sad.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If it counts for anything, Toni, I initially clicked on the thread because I thought someone was going to be talking about you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

And I created the title to lure them in.
Just sayin.'

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Doesn't this count? Or am I missing something?

quote:
How many people, before clicking on this thread, thought it was going to be about a Jack Chick anti-Catholic tract?

:raises hand:

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What Tom and dkw said!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went to the emergency room one time with a small cut on my wrist.

Above the "proscenium" that surrounded the check in station was a VERY BIG SIGN that said that just checking in, with no additional services required, would result in a charge of $950.

Wow.

My last visit to the emergency room was in 1997, after I nearly drowned while vacationing at Cape Hatteras. IIRC the bill was less than $500. I don't think I needed any medication, though. I don't remember if they did a blood test or not. They kept checking my blood pressure, but I have no idea why.

My FIL had to pay the cost out of pocket, and we reimbursed him after our insurance reimbursed us.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
And the rumor I heard about the cookie thing was that some religious conflict was involved i.e., the paranoid lady doesn't like people of a certain religion, even if they bring cookies.

Anyone know if this is true?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You may be onto something.
Heard she freaked cuz the cookies reminded her of how she useta love to bake before a couple of kids...

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll be a blue-nosed gopher... I completely missed that. I feel better already!

And even more off-topic: I'm strongly considering doing another MST3k Chick Tract. I just need to pick one.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yozhik, I did not hear that.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
The reporting certainly makes this woman sound nuts. Though as others have hinted, maybe the woman had been stalked in the past (by a regular person making unwanted gestures of affection and not a blue muppet). Maybe she hates Valentines day because some traumatic event is tied to it or she has some other reason not to celebrate it. I mean, we've some clue about her husband, after all. Or maybe she is diabetic or something. But yeah, she should have taken the settlement. If she expects the girls to foresee the possible ramifications of doing good deeds too late at night, she herself should have foreseen the possible ramifications of making neighborly quarrels a matter of public record.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.