FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Western Massachusetts Dinner Party (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Western Massachusetts Dinner Party
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have freakin had it with reading about everyone else's fun get-togethers.

I would be happy to host a dinner or afternoon late lunch sort of thing, as I have time on my hands. This way, we don't have to worry about how many people are coming, or coordinating a restaurant room or anything like that.

Ela, are you coming up to visit JaneX any time soon? We could plan it around that time.

Seriously, I almost cried reading about the henna party, because I so wanted to go. Let's do this thing!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

Sorry about that, Elizabeth. [Frown] I hope you have fun at your dinner party. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] Awesome -- a proactive way of dealing with henna-jealousy (a syndrome I suffer from as well).

Too bad you're so far away!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
(a syndrome I suffer from as well)
You're having a birthday shinda, and your clump gets I3. I think you'll be fine. [Razz]

But I tell ya, if the next freind I get to join Hatrack moves away in a couple of months, I'm going to stop recruiting.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan and I owe Kwea and JenniK a visit and pool and dinner. We're so in.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was an announcement of a new, region-centric political party.

Alas-- it had such promise.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, Ela, Shlomo, and my father are coming up to visit me this weekend.

But I'm not sure how much free time they'll have.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ooh, JaneX!
Well, if it doesn't work out this weekend, we can just plan it, and whoever comes, comes. Do you have a car? I couls always come and pick you up, or you could take the bus and I could pick you up on Bay Rd.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ElJay, I need your email! Mine is edob63@yahoo.com
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous, jealous, jealous*
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Liz, I'll e-mail you in just a moment or two, after I finish something up.
JaneX
Member # 2026

Liz, I'll have to talk to my dad about this, but would Saturday night work for you?

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni isn't working this Sat, but I am working until 7 pm. I can always switch with someone, I have a few co-workers who owe me, but I need to know if this is a go for sure before I do so. Even doing this I might be working until 5 pm though.

If it is happeneing, Jenni and I are in.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Saturday would be fine!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tournament Saturday morning till mid-afternoonish, so we could make an evening get together.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

An evening get-together is what I was thinking anyway, Jamie. The Sabbath doesn't end until 6:30ish, so we couldn't go anywhere until after that. [Smile]

~Jane~

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes yes yes!

I will even boil corn for poor Sarah, the stoveless wonder.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I'm in then, I can always leave a bit early once way or another.

Liz, want to do this potluck style? I have a slow cooker I could bring. I also cook pretty well, and Jenni bakes.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sure, that sounds good.

Well, how about this. Potlucks are great, but then, if someone cannot come, you end up with no brownies, or whatever.

I will make a big salad, and either lasagna or baked ziti. Then, people can bring whatever they want, appetizers, desserts, or another main course, so we don't have to do the sign-up thing.

So, a modified potluck, I guess.

mackillian
Member # 586

I hate lasagna. [Frown] *feels bad*

The other thing is that I can't eat regular pasta. Well, I CAN, I just get the shakes after an hour or so passes. I can have whole wheat pasta though, so I can just bring my own and some saucy goodness. [Smile]

Am I bringing fencing stuff with me?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Why don't we do a modified sign-up too, here in this thread. That way we don't all bring the same thing.

I will try to find somehting to make that we can all have, or at least most of us. I have a great recipe for veggie dip, so we will make a veggie plate with that (it also doubles as a chip dip), and mabe Jenni can bake something...I already aske d her and she said that she would think about it.

JaneX
Member # 2026

Just as a reminder, if there's food, my family and I need something vegetarian. [Smile]

And we still have to talk to my dad about going - it's not definite yet. I'll keep you posted.

~Jane~

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*runs around in circles*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Mry, are you going?

[Big Grin]

JaneX, I know, that is what I was referring to, about dietary restrictions. I will bring the veggie plate for apps, but perhaps you could make some suggestions about what would be acceptable as an entre if you are going to attend.

As long as the lasgne is meatless that would work, right? And if someone wants meat in the sause, we can do a side of meat sause for the top.

Or just about anything, as long as it isn't too complicated. [Big Grin]

JaneX
Member # 2026

Meatless lasagna would be fine. Sounds really yummy, in fact. [Smile]

~Jane~

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Well I was sposed to go to NYC on Sat but a couple people backed out so I will too... I just have to ask parents about car useage and stuff, and my brother's coming home Fri so I have to make sure we don't have anything planned Sat night, and blahblahblahI'll try my darndest!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Like I said, it wouldn't be too hard to cook up a small pan of that on the side, or to cook a large one that way and provide a large bowl of meat sause on the side for people like me who love meat sause... [Big Grin]

I thin Dag's site has a few veg/vegan recipises in it too, but I am not sure.

I know that JaneX has limited abilities to cook at Smith, IIRC.....

Kwea

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! *flashing lights and all that good stuff* JaneX goes to Smith?? as in the all girls' school [Cool] ? My cousin just started there this year.. That's just really very strange. very very strange.

And, *jealous, jealous, jealous* as well.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

esl, I live within half an hour, maybe less, from Smith.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, if Jenni and I are still here this summer, and it looks like we might be, then I plan on having another picnic at Look Park...although this time I think we will all pitch in and get a pavillion or something.

I don't think I like the "drowned rat" look.

Kwea

[ February 21, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Awwwww, I love rain!

Not so much the sitting in a car for a couple hours on your soaked pants. ^^ Oh well, we had so much fun!

rivka
Member # 4859

ElJay, April is still a ways away -- I'm jealous now! [Wink]

Besides, I know 2-3 hours drive away isn't far for you Midwesterners, but out here it effectively means I doubt I'll see I3 much more than the other SoCal clumpers. That is, not NEARLY often enough.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I was actually planning on making a spinach lasagna and a meat lasagna, anyway, so no problemo there.

As for you, Mackstress, I will make one with whole wheat noodles. Honest, making lasagna is one of those things that, once you are making it, it is not a big deal to make extra.

Any other dietary needs out there?

Mack, you are welcome to bring the fencing stuff, nut our house is pretty small. How much space do you need for all that fancy parrying stuff?

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Mack hates lasagna no matter what you put in it or what noodles you use. I haven't figured out why that is when there are so many different ways to make lasagna, but I'm betting if you call it lasagna then she can't eat it.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

But lasagna's pasta! How can someone as cool as mackillian not like something as equally cool as pasta? It's so nummy..

Actually, I could probably count the number of times I've had lasagna on one hand, but I know it's good. My family hasn't been to an Italian restaurant in a while. I'll make sure we order it next time we go to Buca's.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Duh. No lasagna. OK, there will be something whole wheat and non lasagnesque for her.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If y'all could hold off for about a week, I would be able to not join you then either.

[Cry]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Bob, stop whining. I am sure your wedding will be fun, but if you wait another year or three...

I would be able to not make it then as well.

ok?

[ February 21, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

rivka
Member # 4859

esl, I have been asking that exact question for ages.

I have a theory. I think mack was terrorized by a lasagna as a child.

the Professor
Member # 5319

- posted      Profile for the Professor   Email the Professor         Edit/Delete Post 
Post Pasta Stress Disorder?

Morbo

Posts: 111 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Quite possible. Every two weeks my mother and I would argue about me liking lasagna.

Me. "What's for dinner?"
Mom. "Lasagna."
Me. "So what will I eat?"
Mom. "You LOVE lasagna."
Me. "No, I don't."

Every two weeks! [Wall Bash]

Awhile back, my sister and I went to Olive Garden for lunch. She ordered the lasagna. I commented that lasagna is icky.

She says, "But you LOVE lasagna."

o_O

esl
Member # 3143

It seems your family likes lasagna, and they were unsuccessful in inducting/brainwashing you. I guess you would have preferred reverse psychology.

[ February 22, 2005, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: esl ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"She says, "But you LOVE lasagna." "

Mack, it is about time that you woke up to some facts in your life. Your name, jamie, is a nickname for a longer name, and you love lasagna ang huggin.'

Kwea
Member # 2199

[Big Grin] [Razz]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, I told my husband that JaneX has "plans" for Saturday night, and that we are included...without telling him what they are. [Big Grin]

We will need phone numbers and directions, and stuff like that - probably best to give them to Jane, since I will not be assured of computer access the next couple days. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ela, that's cool...it's his own fault for not reading threads, right? [Evil]

Are you driving up, or renting a car? If transport is a problem, I might be able to help out...I have a Sunfire, which isn't the largest car, but three can squeeze into the back seat. They won'r be comfortable, but it works, and thet all have seatbelts.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
We will have a rental car. We just need to know how to get where we are going. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Cry]

I'm going to be driving through Mass. in May on my way to Maine (never been to Maine). Maybe we can play then?

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Kat!

Ela, I will email JaneX with numbers and directions.

Who can come?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Alright, I'm officially in!

Not sure what I'll bring yet, I'll see what everyone else is bringing first [Smile]

So excited!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.