FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Ms. Hatriquette (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dear Ms. Hatriquette
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Hatty,

Is it ok for a poster to post, leave, observe the lusty playfulness of ender-joiners, and re-enter?

beggin the question

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the answer has traditionally been, "After an apology, yes." A handful of people have had difficulty making that apology.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why an apology? Unless you leave on an insult. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand the question, so let me see if I can rephrase it correctly. Are you asking if it is OK to post something and then just let the thread run on its own while you, the original poster, just observes for a while, and maybe re-enter the thread later? I'd have to say, "yes", as long as you do respond to direct polite questions or counterpoints.

I think it is rude to start a thread and then bow out if it means ignoring replies that either directly or indirectly require further input from you.

If I'm misunderstanding the question all together, or if this is a carry over from some other drama I missed, just ignore this post.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
fallow? can I ask you a question?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster here is fallow, who IIRC was banned from the site. He's asking, if I understand him correctly, if he can come back. And he's asking in such a way as to make it clear that he doesn't feel he was banned for any legitimate reason.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know it's fallow, Tom?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
See this thread:

quote:
quote:
Alluvion, are you fallow?
Do you want the straight answer or the comical one to the question you just asked?

I'll assume straight, and the answer is yes.

[ March 14, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't. But he's triggering my faldar something awful. [Smile]

(Edit: I thought it was a given after the whole skillery shout-out thread.)

[ March 14, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Blech. fallow was one of a minute number of posters I was glad to see gone.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, alluvion's a major improvement, though.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
How many oblique Santa Monica scientists are there on Hatrack? [Dont Know]

Alluvion is either fallow or someone trying very hard to copy him.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, I recognised him too. I demand ... er... something.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
If it weren't for Tom point out alluvion's behavior and similarity to fallow on other threads, I would never have noticed him -- his posts pretty much register as noise in my mind.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Gentle Reader:

Playful posting roller coastering alone is not enough to engender the trustingness of the Ender-generation.

seeking the inner cat

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Kwea who always asks me if I am Fallow. Is this proof enough for you? [Dont Know]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you fallow?

[Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope not. That would mean I have two personalities. [Angst]

[ March 14, 2005, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, no....I don't believe it was me at all.

But now that you brought it up... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate that fallow gave me some straight answers in the other thread.

I found his past incarnations frequently insulting, but I don't know that I require an apology or even a promise to "be good." If he's not insulting this time, then I reckon that's what matters. I don't know who was hurt severely enough to require an apology. (Maybe whatever got him banned, but at this point the specifics have left my mind.)

That being said, I would prefer clear posts, because the cleverly meaningless ones register as noise to me, annoying in that I have to filter it out or wade through it. But that's a stylistic preference. I don't believe that my stylistic preferences alone are enough to rule the board.

I feel somewhat pompous even posting about whether or not you are welcome back, fallow, but you did ask . . .

[ March 14, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Posted by Kwea on the Goodnight Hatrack Thread:
quote:
LD, are you sure you aren't fallow?
Caught ya [Wink]

I don't even understand what this discussion is about. Whether Fallow should be allowed back on the boards? I'm not familiar with the situation that got him banned. So I can't really comment there. I guess if he promises to behave, there's no harm in giving him another chance.

[ March 14, 2005, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

skillery
Member # 6209

Questions for alluvion:

What kind of scientist are you?

How is it that your schedule allows you to stay up so late?

Why "alluvion"? Are you something that just washed up on the shore? A jellyfish perhaps? Or a soggy marshmallow?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

kama,

fire away.

skillery,

quote:
What kind of scientist are you?
Mad when I'm good. Bad when I'm burnt out.

quote:
Coasting on past achievements (slumming it).

quote:
Why "alluvion"? Ar eyou something that just washed up on the shore? A jellyfish perhaps? Or a soggy marshmellow?
That's for me to know and you to find out. [Taunt]

TD,

Thanks.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
You two crack me up!
[ROFL]
[Kiss]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Maybe KAMA will have better luck.
skillery
Member # 6209

[Group Hug]

Sorry I can't stay up and play though. Got an early day tomorrow.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really mean you were him...I just said that because he was always complaining about the same thing as you were there, and so I came up with a "Goodnight fallow" thread that I would sometimes bump for him when I left.

Besides, saying something once , in jest, isn't the same as always accusing you, is it? [Wink] [Taunt]

[ March 15, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I think there are plenty of us who would prefer not to answer this question.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Alluvion is an AI program developed by the RAND corporation.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Or maybe Uniblab:

quote:
Back to work (click), back to work (click). Everybody (click) work, work, work, work (click), work, work (click).

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Hehe. Kwea, To finlaize this, I am not Fallow. And I welcome back the real Fallow as alluvion. Stay out of trouble you!

[ March 15, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think the issue is not so much that we need to welcome fallow back as it is that he was actually banned by the moderators.

In other words, they officially told him he wasn't welcome here and kicked him to the curb.

It doesn't matter if WE'RE willing to hang out with the guy; until he clears it with them, he's circumventing their decree.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Good call Tom.
Icarus
Member # 3162

*shrug*

If they don't want him around, they'll ban him again. Again. er, Again.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
and it appears that they aren't overly concerned - and I'm sure Mike will play nicely in the sandbox - won't you, Mike?

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

define "nice".

I will essay to be more articulate and literal, rather than incoherent, loopy, and inane (though this prospect bores me to tears).

[Wave]

Shan
Member # 4550

why do you ask the hard questions when I'm tired and can't think straight, hmmm?

Let's see . . . "nice" . . .

If you regard achieving "nice" as a complex weaving of stimuli and response that keeps the pique-o-meter at no greater than a 6.5, you'll be fine . . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
If you put an 'e' in your name, alluvion, then it would have all the vowels. And that would cool.

[Cool]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

k,

fantastic idea. A fake french accent on the 'e' would be extra cool. Wish I'd thought of that.

alluvione^'

I dunno how to make accents, and I'm not sure anyone would understand the editing mark-up.

shan

quote:
that keeps the pique-o-meter at no greater than 6.5, you'll be fine...
oh, but it goes to 11! I can't dilly-dally around at 6.5. I'll get lost in the noise.

Skil,

Computational biologist (schedule? one benefit of working in academia is that it's more merit-based than other areas I've worked in. results are more important than punching the clock). Alluvion? - sounded cool and maintains a certain continuity with fallow. Thanks for asking. What do you do for a living?

skillery
Member # 6209

[Hail] gene expression data analyst?

I program Japanese automated material handling equipment.

alluvion
Member # 7462

quote:
Gene expression data analyst?
Do you have to make it sound so dull?

quote:
I program Japanese automated material handling equipment
and what might that entail on a day-to-day basis, if you'll indulge my curiosity?

[Confused]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they don't want him around, they'll ban him again. Again. er, Again.
How is it that this is the third? fourth? incarnation of banned fallow monikers? Don't they ban the IP address?

Shan - fallow does the same thing over and over again. He plays nice (but weird) for the first few days, and then becomes increasingly nonsensical and snarky. Like really angry but incomprehensible spam.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Well, next week there's a silicon ingot manufacturer up in the Portland area who wants to move blocks of silicon from station to station as the silicon undergoes various processes around their plant. We'll be moving the silicon blocks with conveyors, warehouse stacker cranes, and automated guided vehicles. Our software maintains an Oracle database of what blocks are where, and we send transport commands to the various vehicles to move the blocks.

We do the same thing with boxes of beef, palletloads of chicken nuggets, clean room wafers, engine blocks, boxed-up personal computers, and the US mail. Keeps me moving around the country pretty good.

alluvion
Member # 7462

Skil,

So, do you spend a lot of time programming or customizing the code to the place of business?

skillery
Member # 6209

Every customer has their own user interface, shipping manifests, report forms, host computer protocol, order or batch processing, and system layout.

And then the Japanese are always coming out with new and faster equipment that often requires that a new communication interface be written.

I'm currently programming in Delphi, but the company as a whole is moving to Java.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I've never had any problem with fallow's "nonsensical" posts; he's always made sense to me. What bothered me -- and will bother me, if Mike continues to do it in the future -- is his tendency to insult people behind the shield of his cryptic utterances, secure in the belief that they won't pick up on it. Unfortunately, for those people who do pick up on it, it's doubly insulting.

[ March 16, 2005, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

skillery
Member # 6209

[Hail] "I've never had any problem with fallow's 'nonsensical' posts"

Wish I could say the same. A lot of his stuff goes right over my troglodyte head.

alluvion
Member # 7462

quote:
A lot of his stuff goes right over my troglodyte head.
DAMNIT!

Anyhow, on a subversively related topic, maybe you know something about this. I dimly recall from years ago a lecture I attended about robotics in the assembly line process. There was a brief digression by the speaker about how process manufacturing engineers get all the bolts or screws or whathave you into the proper configuration for the assembling robots. I think the solution was to dump the bolts onto a sheet of metal where they are all in disarray. You vibrate the sheet at some magic frequency and the end result is that most if not all of the bolts "stand up straight" and are ready to be plucked.

Have you seen anything like that?

alluvion
Member # 7462

TD,

I've always found your posts to be remarkably lucid, logically sound, and with a strong tendency for dry humorlessness. That's not an insult.

Shan
Member # 4550

*is trying to make the Star Trek "Spock" hand gesture . . . very unsuccessfully . . . *
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.