FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An interesting but useless bit of knowledge.

Author Topic: An interesting but useless bit of knowledge.
Diko
Member # 6060

- posted      Profile for Diko           Edit/Delete Post 
This is in reference to OSC's article about Diary of a Mad Black Woman.

At one point, he says:
quote:

So it's time for the studios to stop caring about race when they decide which movies to back and which actors to hire. Racism isn't dead in America, but when it comes to making money at the movies, it is irrelevant.

It's time for "liberal" Hollywood to realize that the American film audience is way, way ahead of them when it comes to race.

I thought he (and others) might find it interesting to know that up here in my little corner of NH, where the population is very predominantly white, we have 4 movie theatres within driving distance, but only one of which is actually showing this movie, and it's the "little" theatre (the ones people go to to get cheaper prices, and that generally show movies that have been playing in the major theatres for a while). It has two showings a day.

Robots, on the other hand, has 19 showings, on a MONDAY, and is playing in all four of the theatres. Just to give y'all an idea for comparison. [Wink]

I looked up theatres near my aunt's house in Newport News, Virginia, where the population is almost the complete reverse of New Hampshire, and the first four movie theatres were all playing Diary and each theatre had at least 4 showings for today, and one had 10 showings. The only theatre not playing it was an IMAX theatre, which is only showing 2 documentaries or somesuch.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What little corner of NH do you live in?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX has its own problems with catering to bigots.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diko
Member # 6060

- posted      Profile for Diko           Edit/Delete Post 
the corner with all the people in it. [Wink]
Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that information is at all useless [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
How in the heck is the story in the article "catering to bigots"? All the company did was make a business decision to not show films that they feel might be objectionable to a substantial percentage of their viewing audience. You're essentially calling all fundamemtalist Christians "bigots," and that's quite a bit of a stretch; one that most people (including myself) would find to be very offensive.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.