FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for Hatrack's Lesbians: What sort of vehicle do you drive? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Question for Hatrack's Lesbians: What sort of vehicle do you drive?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Stickshifts, what else?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, I'll have to add that to the list - I've never heard of a woman finding the opposite to be even vaguely interesting.
Count me in on that too [Wink] I like looking at pretty men, and if there's two of them instead of one, so much the better.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Stray, the question isn't looking at two guys just sitting there, but does the idea of two men going at it excite you?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

Yes, it does; I think it's hot. Don't really know why that is, I just do.

Edit to add: I'm biased though, I prefer that it be really pretty men, and usually on the young side. The male equivalent of lipstick lesbians, I suppose [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Stray ]

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
<created before Xav's entry>

Oh, I just knew it. It isn't the idea of lesbians, but the idea that they aren't really - if they knew you, they wouldn't be! Lesbianism standing in for the ultimate chastity belt.

The corresponding idea is not even remotely attractive.

[ April 15, 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we may be getting a little more graphic than is appropriate for this forum, folks. Discussion of stereotypes and cars (and car stereo types -- mine's a Sony) is probably ok.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Yeah I was afraid of that Mike.

I just wasn't appreciated all the generalizations that seemed to classify anyone with such fantasies as a dirt-bag. Figured I would actually try to answer the question instead of repeating a stereotype.

I will delete my post, sorry.

[ April 15, 2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
You check your mail you crazy Janitor!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

I'm glad I got to read your post before it was deleted, Xav; I don't believe I've ever heard the attraction explained so well before. It's certainly better than anything I could have managed [Smile]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well frag, I wanted to hear another explanation.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Hmmmm.

Well I had considered keeping an electronic version of it in case someone wanted to hear it, but two things changed my mind.

1) I am at work, and having something like that on my work computer would not be smart (in retrospect I could have saved it as a gmail draft)

2) I decided I was being egotistical in thinking that anyone would actually care about it.

Well, its gone now, but if someone wants it send me an email and perhaps I will try and rewrite it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's all good - it was more of an academic curiosity than anything else.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

The thing is that it was kind of a painful thing to delete in part because it took me a good 30 minutes of my time, partly because whenever I open myself up like that I want it to matter, and partly because I really hadn't heard anyone explain it quite like that.

I'm glad you liked it at least Stray [Smile] .

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was good, too.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I aswell.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, if you do decide to recreate it, I'm interested. eljay at hotmail.com. Don't do it just for me, though, I can live with curiousity. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I had it in my temp file cache, and just e-mailed it to Xavier's gmail account.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Papa, that was very considerate of you.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry I missed it.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Whoa, thanks Mike.

I think I may take this opportunity to revise it (ugh, I need to go back to spell checking my posts, but prally won't) and maybe expanding it a little I will send it to whoever wants it.

Funny thing is, its almost certainly going to dissapoint. WAY to much build up. I would classify it as mildly interesting at best [Wink] .

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Disappoint me. [Smile]

mechanicalman at gmail dot com

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in seeing it also-- noemon at sakeriver dot com.

Of course, you could post it on Sakeriver and link to it here--that'd probably save you a bit of time.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Xavier's analysis is spot on. By means of metaphorical juxtaposition, Xavier explodes the myth of male fantasy and replaces it with biological imperatives. Once this new paradigm is accepted, greater harmony between the sexes can be reached. Such is the power of his study."

Just trying to help with the expectation. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

You've got a point there Noeman. Is Mike cool with that sort of thing?
twinky
Member # 693

Have a look at the top four or five threads at Sakeriver. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
And it used to be about the role-playing.

Oh, well. I guess it still is.... [Wink]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Monkeys]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how all three of the guys in that smiley are smiling.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Okay guys, its up.

linky

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are lesbians on hatrack?
If statistics for the general population are correct, we should have several.

But then I wouldn't know, since I haven't seen what you gals are driving.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it used to be about the role-playing.

Oh, well. I guess it still is....

[ROFL]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If statistics for the general population are correct, we should have several.

But then I wouldn't know, since I haven't seen what you gals are driving.

And even if you did know what the women of Hatrack are driving, you still wouldn't know. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

So Ela, you disagree with my premise? I would agree with you that women, like men, drive whatever vehicle they like.

If a lesbian wanted to drive a Corvette, she'd buy a Corvette. But a lesbian driving a Corvette might be mistaken for a self-obsessed man in his second childhood.

Do lesbians drive minivans? Isn't a minivan a symbol of man's subjugation of woman as a reproductive machine?

Maybe your point is that there are straight women who eschew minivans and Corvettes for the same reasons that lesbians do.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You're just reinforcing a stereotype that lesbians are women with short hair, wear flannel and drive SUVs. It's stupid and certainly not any form of good gaydar.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Is it good enough for a guy?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, while there are as many types of lesbians as there are types of women, the stereotype of lesbians as short haired women in tennis shoes driving SUVs is accurate **as far as stereotypes go**.

Now I haven't hung out in the gay community lately (durn internet addiction cost me all my friends) but at least back in the 90s, a goodly percentage of lesbians I knew fit that description.

Bisexual women on the other hand were harder to spot.

Pix

(edit: not too much flannel though)

[ April 15, 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Pix's stereotype is pretty good as far as stereotypes go.

Yes, we know you're straight, mack. [Razz]

Moving on...

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's a stereotype because it fits enough people that association has become commonplace.

It's like expecting every gay man to be like Nathan Lane - if that's all you've experienced, it could be an easy mistake to make.

Similarly, people from cultures with a homogenous element will typically make collective assumptions of other cultural groups based on limited interaction with select members of that cultural group.

Now, a stereotype is still a stereotype and as such cannot be applied to all lesbians everywhere, but some lesbians do fit the assigned stereotype. Some, as a matter of fact, embrace it.

-Trevor

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
I just find it rather alien to be evaluating people on the cars they drive, but then again, I'm a bit out of the middle class mainstream.

I would be much more likely to judge someone's personality and preferences on what they read or what they eat or what they do for a living. [Dont Know]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I figured the thread was more of a tounge-in-cheek exercise than a serious attempt at enlightenment.

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

^^^^

Indeed. Otherwise there would be no hope for me. Though I may buy my parents' Camry from them, since they want (well, mum wants) to downsize to a smaller car...

Frisco
Member # 3765

I think that the car you drive can say a lot about you, regardless of social class. It certainly reveals a lot more about your personality than most things. And it's not something a person can conceal for very long.

Then again, I use any source I can get to learn about someone--to minimize time wasted.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yeah?

I dunno. I mean, I like the Camry -- not the most recent, larger, revision, but the 1999-2002-era Camry -- because it's a good size (I'm tall) but not bulky, it has clean lines, the stereo sounds very, very good... and, most importantly, at that time it was one of the most reliable cars on the market, produced by the manufacturer that makes the world's most reliable (by a significant margin, at that) cars.

But if you saw me pull into a parking space in a Camry, would you think of those reasons?

skillery
Member # 6209

Oh, and bumper stickers can be a dead giveaway.

Bumper stickers on a green SUV...

Here in Salt Lake it would be a KRCL radio bumper sticker. Do they still have the lesbian lunch program every Thursday at noon?

Gun control stickers, Kerry/Edwards stickers, Sierra Club stickers, SCUBA diver stickers, "Start seeing motorcycles" stickers, Bob Marley stickers...so many worthy causes.

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the bumper sticker that says: BUCKLE UP! (it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car) ?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

twinky, that car shows that you're not noticably insecure, relatively low-maintenance, efficient, and not overly superficial.

A fine choice that doesn't raise any red flags. Actually seeing the car and connecting that information with other stuff I know about you would probably give me enough information about you that I'd know whether or not I'd feel like driving all the way to Canada for a few beers.

Frisco
Member # 3765

Another bumper sticker that's a big giveaway for lesbians is the rainbow.
skillery
Member # 6209

Aliens sucking lesbians out of their cars? What a strange mental image. Why do they need all those lesbians? Do they have a shortage of NPR radio personalities on their planet?
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
twinky, that car shows that you're not noticably insecure, relatively low-maintenance, efficient, and not overly superficial.
Well, sure, flatter me so I'll agree with you. [Wink]

quote:
A fine choice that doesn't raise any red flags. Actually seeing the car and connecting that information with other stuff I know about you would probably give me enough information about you that I'd know whether or not I'd feel like driving all the way to Canada for a few beers.

Hm. Maybe you just make faster judgments than I do...
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.