FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly Question (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Firefly Question
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Faith in humankind definitely - but not faith in a superior being.

[Edit - and faith in demonkind, in particular circumstances.]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I think they've set him up to be redeemed by love, not faith.
That's not too surprising. I don't recall ever seeing faith portrayed as a redeeming value in any of Joss' stuff.
I don't like any of Joss' other stuff, so I wouldn't know. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Man I wish everybody had already seen Serenity, so that we could bring the events of that part of the story into this conversation.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
POSSIBLY A SPOILER FOR THE MOVIE:
Faith is a major theme in "Serenity."

Just sayin'.

[ July 15, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity isn't out here for another 2 months.

[Frown]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Ugh. Chris, I was already nonplussed by the trailer. Could you take the "not really" out of there?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Done, although I didn't see how that was really giving anything away.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it had anything to do with religion. I do think you're right when you hint that Book is a dominant figure...he commands a lot of respect from Mal, even if Mal doesn't (and won't ever) come to believe in God. What *I* saw wasn't an inkling of belief, but a respect for Book's beliefs. When he said "If there's peace to be had..." it was to show that he respected something that was important and real to Book. It was definitely a 'good captain' move, even if there were some ulterior motives. I think he might have done it even if there hadn't been other motivation.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

On another note, check out some of the best firefly icons/avatars that I've ever seen. My sister did 'em. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia -- I stole one of your avatars, but I couldn't figure out how to comment on your site. Please don't hate me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

s'ok. [Smile] Laura will be delighted that you're using them. Which one did you like?
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to try to make a 'big damn heroes' one but gave up.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I could get Nekkid. It made me laugh.

So many others seemed to be done by a woman who though that Mal was really hot. That's not what I look for in an avatar.

I mean Captain Tight Pants and Pursed Lips of Doom? I'll pass.

But I couldn't pass up Jayne's.

If I were doing avatars, I'd have as many for Jayne as you have for Mal.

[ July 16, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I read the first few posts and the last few and skimmed the rest of the thread because it's riddled with spoilers, but I just wanted to let y'all know. . .

Firefly will be on SciFi Friday on the SciFi channel at 7/3 Central.

Firefly
SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Battlestar Galactica

How can you lose? Except Monk and BSG are on at the same time. [Mad]

So, if that information has already been posted, sorry.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Kayla, you haven't watched Firefly yet? You shouldn't even be IN this thread, it'll ruin everything! [Smile]

Porter, again, those avatars were of my SISTER's making. She does think Mal is incredibly hot and she's proud of her little catch phrases. [Smile] I, on the other hand would not have spent all my time focusing on Mal (as nice looking as he is) because the point of avatars is to give a fair and funny representation of the series as a whole....yeah whatever. I would've done more of Simon myself. *ducks* [Big Grin]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon is one pretty, pretty man.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Done, although I didn't see how that was really giving anything away.

You weren't, it just makes me less excited about the movie. [Frown]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It shouldn't, because it tells you nothing, even if you think it does.
twinky
Member # 693

It must tell someone something, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it. What's the point of a post that doesn't tell anyone anything?

Or is this one of those "It doesn't DO anything" posts? (Not that I have the faintest clue what that joke is about.)

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok - New episode. I know you're all excited. [Smile]

Ariel-

First off, River's slice at Jayne seemed so completely different than the way she's acted before. I know she' 'getting worse' and I know she's 'unpredictable,' but it seemed too sudden. Thoughts: could she see into the future and know that he would try to betray her and Simon?

Anyway, I got over that. I think the defining line in this episode is the one where Mal credits Simon with having a good criminal mind. I agree. I love watching Mal (in this episode and Out of Gas) be all protective of his crew. He was sharp and businesslike when it came to River's behavior, but he was equally protective of River and Simon when it came to Jayne.

I love watching Wash and Kaylee work together. They seem to be a flawless team (that little scene in Our Mrs. Reynolds when they're under the dashboard is one of my favorites). I loved seeing Simon in the role of "I know what you need to know, so listen to me." I loved seeing Mal, Zoe and Jayne rehearsing their lines; it was like a mini gag reel.

I think it's so interesting that River knows just how good of a Dr. Simon is. It's a good thing because I think Simon is the only person she would ever trust to help her, and it's not necessarily because he's her brother. Like I said, she knows he's good and it was fun to see that during his little life-saving stint during this episode.

This episode was one of the most tense that I've watched. As soon as Jayne's plot became known, I didn't breathe very much through the rest of the episode. It wasn't because I was worried about Simon and River...I knew they'd get out somehow. I was worried about what was going to happen to the crew now that this had happened.

It was perfect. Joss knew I was worried, he knew that I was completely furious at the thought that Jayne might get off without anyone knowing about it...and he let me feel that way until Mal hit him with the wrench. Perfect. I want Mal to be my captain. [Smile] The crew can always trust him to 'handle' the wrinkles and flat out tears in their relationships. he cares about protecting the crew. Jayne was a threat, he almost let him get sucked out the door (after one of the best talking tos I've ever heard), and then let him stay when he was sure that Jayne was ashamed of what he had done.

Love it. Perfect.

War Stories is tonight.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way Simon gets a chance to show off just how skilled he is in Ariel. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Simon and River's relationship is one of my favorite aspects of the series, and "Ariel" is their showcase episode. [Smile]

Narnia: Regarding the suddenness of River's latest craziness... Joss hints in the commentary to "Serenity" (the episode) that the organization known as Blue Sun, a massive conglomerate with hooks deep within the Alliance government ("a mix between Coca-Cola and Microsoft"), had something to do with River's incarceration at the academy. Now, take another look at the shirt Jayne is wearing when she slices him. "Looks better in red," indeed. [Wink]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah. That clears up a lot actually!

We watched War Stories and Trash tonight, but I'll have to write my thoughts later. War Stories was really really violent...I looked away a LOT.

Narnia
Member # 1071

So I've finished the series. We watched The Message, Heart of Gold and Objects in Space in quick succession a couple nights ago.

We were kind of disappointed. I really enjoyed objects in space, but even it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the series. The other two were just mediocre episodes (and while I was pissed off at Mal for sleeping with that woman, I'm glad that something finally forced Inara to show some FEELING about him.)

Anyway, are these those "last three episodes" that I've heard everyon refer to as being the best of the series? They're the last on the DVDs, but I can't bring myself to say that they were anywhere close to being the best 3. Tell me I'm looking at the wrong three episodes. [Wink]

But now I have to name MY top three...hm. Bushwhacked, Our Mrs. Reynolds, and Ariel. I think Ariel is my favorite. (Close runners up are Out of Gas and Safe.)

Now I've got to watch them all again.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Objects in Space is one of my favorite hours of television ever.
twinky
Member # 693

The last three are my three favourites by far.

(Bushwhacked, Safe, and Out of Gas are three of my least favourites, along with The Train Job and Shindig. We agree on Ariel, though.)

Noemon
Member # 1115

Twinky, can you put your finger on what it is about Out of Gas that you dislike? It's probably in my top three or four episodes. There's one thing in it that seems like a plot hole to me, but other than that I love the episode.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

If I had to pick three favorite episodes I'd have a tough time doing it, but I'd probably finally pick Out of Gas, War Stories, and Objects in Space. Ariel and Our Mrs. Reynolds are close runners-up though.

It's easier to pick my three least favorite episodes. Those would be Bushwhacked, Safe, and The Message.

twinky
Member # 693

I'm not that big on Out of Gas because it has no reason to exist other than revealing backstory; I don't really think of it as having a plot to speak of. Also, I found Kaylee's fling in the engine room with the ship's first mechanic a little jarring (though amusing).

I like the episode and enjoy watching it (my absolute least favourite is Safe), but it still belongs in my "least favourite" pile.

Added: Also, keep in mind that "favourite episode" does not necessarily equate to "best episode." I love Heart of Gold and The Message even though I don't think that they're two of the best episodes in the series. They're my favourites. That's not the same thing. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I like 'Out of Gas'. I don't care that it doesn't advance the overarching plot or anything like that. It's just such a beautiful collection of scenes and sounds and colour. The actual real-time plot is unimportant to me except for the way it unfolds and unravels forwards and backwards. It's like one of those perfect moments when the sun slants just right and everything glows. It's only special when you experience it.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

"Out of Gas" is my favorite hour of television ever, period. I lurrrrves my character stories. [Smile] Plus, as Teshi says, it's one of the most cinematically shot television episodes I've ever seen. It's beautiful to watch, masterfully edited, and both hilarious and heart-breaking.

My other favorites are "Objects in Space," "Our Mrs. Reynolds," and "Serenity (Parts 1 and 2)."

Least favorites are "Heart of Gold" and "Safe," both of which featured villains that were one-dimensional and stupid, far below the caliber I expect from the folks who came up with Badger and Saffron.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I love Safe for purely Simon and River reasons. [Smile] I love the scenes that they have together and what we learn about how they're feeling about the whole situation.

I love Out of Gas too, mostly because the Captain admits to us that he couldn't live without his crew. They're his family, he loves them, and he wants them to be with him. That was enough to make me love that episode.

So tell me why you loved Heart of Gold twinky and why it's one of your favorites. I'd love to hear what it means to you. I didn't mind the Message as much as a few of you seem to, but it definitely has a different mood and feeling than the rest of the season. Can't put my finger on it.

I like to hear what everyone's favorites are though, it's cool. [Smile] As far as my least favorites, those are tougher to pick because I really liked them all. I guess I'd say Jaynestown, Serenity 1, and Heart of Gold...but I still liked all three of them.

twinky
Member # 693

I love Heart of Gold because Mal finally opens himself up to somebody, because Inara is wonderful during the birth sequences and because she shows some genuine emotion (both there and when she breaks down) for once.

(Yes, the Mal-Inara arc is my favourite one.)

[Smile]

I love The Message because of the funeral scene. The music in that scene in particular, which was the composer's way of saying goodbye to the series.

Narnia
Member # 1071

[Smile] Yeah, those are really great points about those episodes. I liked the funeral scene too, it really brought home that the crew of Serenity is a family.

I also think you're right about Inara. She really doesn't show emotion often...emotion just isn't part of her job. She was also always trying to hide her feelings for Mal. It was oddly satisfying to see her break down crying when she found out that Mal had slept with someone else. I was finally sure that she did feel something for him.

Was The Message supposed to be the last episode of the series? Do we know what the season finale would've been?

Narnia
Member # 1071

Several more Firefly avatars/icons for the masses.

Again, these are not done by me. [Smile] They're done by my sister. My hatrack conversion to Firefly resulted in the conversion of three more of my family members, and we've watched most of the episodes together. (That's why I usually say "we think" when talking about my reactions.)

Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Message" was, I believe, the last episode that was shot. If it wasn't the last shot, it was very close because the cast and crew knew that the show was canceled at that point. So that last piece of music that plays as they present the coffin to Tracy's family is indeed a kind of elegy for the show as much as for the character.
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I always thought that "The Message" was not the last episode shot but the episode on which they knew first that the series was dropped, hence the elegy at the end.

I believe the "never aired" episodes were actually filmed after that, although that makes very little sense economically now that I think of it... It could have been that everyone was on contract.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

"Objects in Space" is the last episode chronologically, but "The Message" was the last episode that the cast and crew shot. IIRC, the unaired episodes were shot before "Objects in Space" hit the air (another case of the infamous Fox Episode Order Switching), but that was the last episode other than "Serenity" to air.
Narnia
Member # 1071

*bump* for JemmyGrove

This is funny to read. My opinions about favorite episodes have changed somewhat...heh. [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.