FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbie Alert! Newbie Alert! (now with crush revelation!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Newbie Alert! Newbie Alert! (now with crush revelation!)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hello there! I've been silently lurking amongst you for a while, unable to make myself heard because (for reasons unclear to me) Hatrack is unable to email me my password on my Verizon email account. So, I finally tried using a different email account, and voila! here I am! How's THAT for some quick problem solving.

I first got sucked into the Hatrack forum when I was google-searching something completely un-Cardish, and got a hit to the page. Already a fair fan and ravenous reader with real respect for the OSC Opus, I peeked about. And I promptly got a minor crush (well, an admixture of respect, awe, and affection) for one of you, and began following that member's posts. Then I became familiar with the rest of the group, and got the urge to join in the fun. What a lovely community you have here.

I look forward to joining in the fun. Everybody say "Hey" to the new kid on the block.

Your New Tante and Shvester, Esther

[ July 20, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Tante Shvester ]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, howdy, howdy [Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack.
[Hat] (Hats off)

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hiya and Welcome.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You're my aunt and my sister? How does that work, exactly? [Wink]

!ברוכים הבאים להטרק [Big Grin]

Welcome, Esther. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Plural "you" I'm Tante to some, Shvester to others, and Esther to the rest.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
So who do you have a crush on exactly?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plural "you" I'm Tante to some, Shvester to others, and Esther to the rest.
I figured. [Smile]

Hi, I'm Rivka. If I tease, it just means I like you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hmmm...the crush. Well, I'd rather not say, for fear of embarrassing that someone. Or me. I STILL hold that member in high regard and esteem.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a better game than Phanto/Morbo's. Create a new screenname, then you have to guess who the person has a crush on. (This is not in any way an accusation that Tante Esther Shvester is anyone other than who she says she is -- just a fun game idea.)

I guess Frisco, 'cause that's who I would have a crush on if I weren't married. Especially if I were a woman.

Welcome to Hatrack, Tante!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Smile]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Are you willing to email the identity of the admired? My email's in my profile. [Wink]

Oh, and I'm completely trustworthy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

'Tis a *secret* crush.

As are all the best crushes.

Except maybe this one.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:TxvLAagYtdwJ:www.sodapopreview.com/Images/Fruit%2520Sodas/Crush%2520Orange.jpg.

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

The strawberry kind is really good.

Welcome [Wave]

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

*pout*
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome to Hatrack.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Welcome Tante Shvester!

Well, if I were a heterosexual guy, or a homosexual woman, or bisexual of either, I'd probably have a crush on Eljay. So that's who I'm guessing.

But nah, Eljay, since I'm none of the above, you're still safe around me. [Wink]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Who doesn't have a crush on ElJay?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* Yeah, ain't that the truth? [Kiss] Eljay
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I might've said ElJay, but she already seems nervous enough around me since I told her about that dream where we got married after I was widowed. I haven't told Frisco about any of my dreams about him.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. It would also be fun to start a thread with the question "If you had a crush on a hatracker, who would it most likely be?"

But I imagine that spouses would get a little annoyed if their husband/wife kept getting mentioned.

Ahem! Not that I would have a crush on a married man. *cough*

Welcome to the board Tante!! I'm glad you finally got your password. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend telling your Hatrack "crush" you're interested.

Trust me on this one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, Val, since you are highly recommending. I AM revealing my *secret* Hatrack crush. I've emailed that 'racker to post notice.

I see from your profile that you are from Omaha. Growing up, every Sunday night, we would tune into "Mutual of Omaha Wildlife Kingdom" on ABC. I remember begging my folks for a vacation trip to Omaha, Nebraska, so that we could see the elephants, giraffes, lions, rhinos, and all that for ourselves. It came as a read dissapointment for me to find out that none of these are actually native to Omaha.

But glad to meet you!

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Better go check my email.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, I'm still clueless. [ROFL] Who's in Omaha? Anyone? Anyone?
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Who doesn't have a crush on ElJay?

Oh and: NOT ME! SHE SUCKS!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I am biologically incapable of having a crush on anyone who lives in Minnesota.

Sorry, ElJay.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Esther! [Wave]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, Eshter! Welcome to the 'rack! [Wave]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a great noob post. Welcome.

I used to love Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, too. I always felt sorry for Jim. He got sent out on to do all that dangerous stuff, and there was this guy back in the office sort of ordering him around...

"Now Jim will wrangle the rhino while I sit back in my comfy chair and tell you about insurance."

"See if Jim had insurance, he wouldn't be looking so glum just now."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Esther! Welcome to Hatrack!

As for the rest of you...

Scott R, I am deeply wounded.

jebus, I'm glad you feel that way.

quids, bev, and papa, you're silly. [Razz] Thanks.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

>>Scott R, I am deeply wounded.

I know. It's a terrible thing not to have my love.

Alas.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oh-- [Wink]
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
"הטרק"?! IMO - יצא זוועה.

I prefer it in Yiddish: האעעטרעק פיר די אינטעלעקט. How's מיר spelling?

*Thinks of starting a Hebrew thread.*

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I AM revealing my *secret* Hatrack crush. I've emailed that 'racker to post notice.

Curse my overzealous spam filter!

(This is not the first time I've had occasion to write this, oddly enough.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Christi better watch out, eh? [Wink]

Welcome to the forum Tante [Smile] .

I'm rather curious about who the crush is, especially now that you've emailed them. The Hatrack-couple Boom happened about a year ago, and I think now we've hit a Baby Boom, but there may be aftershocks of the first still coursing through bandwidth [Wink] .

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The 'Rack, Esther. [Wave]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dying to know who the crush is.

But in the interest of keeping my policy of not revealing crushes on married men and/or people I have met or may meet, I couldn't possibly post in a "Who's your crush?" thread?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Thinks of starting a Hebrew thread.*
You've only done this like twelve times.

Welcome, Esther!! [Wave] I have to just say that I LOVE your screen name. And your first post was awesome. And you seem really cool. And I should stop, my Jew is showing. [Razz]

!ברוכים הבאים

Oh, btw, I'm also DYING to know who the crush is!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plural "you"
English already has a perfectly useful pluralization of "you" -- it's "y'all". [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I look forward to joining in the fun. Everybody say "Hey" to the new kid on the block.
Hey

[Hat]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Tante.

Edit: Whew! It's not me. I would've had some splainin' to do.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
English already has a perfectly useful pluralization of "you" -- it's "y'all".
Sheesh, and you call yourself a teacher.

Y'all is singular. All y'all is the plural.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually... I believe that y'all is just y'all over there. All y'all is y'all over there AND y'all over there.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't call myself a teacher. Except with Aikido.

But I stand firm saying that y'all is plural. All y'all is plural plural.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
s'what I said.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Esther, Xavier and I met here. We have been living in Omaha together for just about a year. We talked online and on the phone and then he flew to Omaha from San Diego to meet me. It didn't take long for us to figure out that a long distance relationship just wasn't going to work. So, he started packing. (I have family here and I wasn't ready to leave them.)

We will get married some day. Hopefully sooner, not later. We decided that it would be nice to start having children after I get my degree.

And that is why I am very happy that you emailed your crush. But please remember to get a few 'rackers' approval before meeting him in real life. The SoCal Clump had already given me their thumbs up before I met Phil. You know, for safety reasons.

rivka is a good one to ask, she's been to all the Cons and vouch for people and their realness.

And, by the way, my email is in my profile, please feel free to send me the name of your crush. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey babe, what are you doing awake at this hour? Jeez, you don't get up till 1PM on weekends [Wink] .

Oh and everyone wish her a happy birthday!

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm late, I usually like to welcome newbies by offering them some Welcome Cookies

Enjoy Hatrack!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Val! [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Esther!

Folks, the crush is obviously on me. After all, my name's Polly. We're obviously meant to be together. [Razz]

Anyway, welcome! (And Happy Birthday, Val!)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.