FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sex: Is It Still A Big Deal? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Sex: Is It Still A Big Deal?
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would anyone want to move to Baton Rouge? It's absolutely miserable here.
Well, that's Rhode Island for ya.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know a great Ethiopian restaurant where you eat with your fingers.
Reading this, I imagined a lot of other restaurants that make you wear mittens so that your fingers cannot be used in any way while eating.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You live in Baton Rouge?

I think I just found the closest Hatracker to me.

Edit - To answer your question, he hates SLC and wants more of a party town, or a college town. I think he'll like Baton Rouge. It's fun if you're over 21.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, why have I been in Dallas two years and not heard of this restaurant? And now we're leaving. *pout*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want to go this week? I'm not doing anything tomorrow. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You live in Baton Rouge?

I think I just found the closest Hatracker to me.

Edit - To answer your question, he hates SLC and wants more of a party town, or a college town. I think he'll like Baton Rouge. It's fun if you're over 21.

Yeah, I live here, and so do a few other jatraqueras. Where do you live?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, sex eventually led to fine dining, instead of the other way around.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Lafayette.

Who else lives there?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm....Toretha, Mayday, Fyfe....a few others, I believe. I think there are some in New Orleans as well.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All I'm saying is that the concept of virginity as a gift to a spouse is a superficial reason to remain a virgin, and every example on this page proves that. I might not go so far as to say it smacks of prostitution, but it is, as katharina said, objectifying.

I think that if it was the only reason, the concerns raised here about objectifying people would be true. However, I have found that more often than not it is one of several reasons for waiting...until marriage, or a committed relationship.

Virginity isn't something that is more important than the person who is the virgin, or something that is so important that a lack of it causes the "value" of a person to drop. It is, or can be, something that proves a point about a person though, much as Tom found out looking for someone to marry. Not every person who sleeps around a bit is irresponsible, but the more someone does it the more likely they are to have other, more undesirable traits. At least that is what I have found.

On the other hand, virginity doesn't automatically confer wisdom or virtue to someone who wouldn't have it otherwise. Some of the biggest jackasses I have ever met were people who were really into their religion, and would preach about remaining a virgin...and then they always made sure that we knew they had been on their marriage night...or at least they claimed they were... [Big Grin]

I never understood why it was so important that they had to brag about it, it seemed more like it should be more private than that.

I don't regret my choice on the matter, but I didn't sleep around a lot...at first due to lack of options, I thought. [Big Grin] Later, as I got better at dating, I found a TON of options, even for a short smartass like myself. But something kept holding me back, sometimes at very inappropriate times. Not physically, but I would just stop and back off.

I just wasn't comfortable with myself, and with them. I was very choosy, and I got a lot of grief about that from everyone I knew, but to this very day I am glad I was choosy. I never had to wake up in the morning and say "Hi! What was your name again?"...or "Where are we, and where are my clothes?". [Smile]

And out of all my friends who did sleep around, most of them are still alone, doing the boring club thing, trying to score. That or they got married...and are now divorced. My best friend, who has been FAR more successful than me in every other walk of life, is still single, after a series of horrible relationships.

I don't think he is a bad guy...far from it, he is one of the best guys I have ever met..but all the girls I know now don't want anything to do with him because of his varied past. Too bad, really...but they are looking for a better class of man, more like me...something I had never dreamed of hearing from a woman years ago, when he was bringing girls home every night and I was alone every night.

Sometimes by my choice, sometimes not...

Funny how things work out, huh?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dean could you tell me where you read this please?
quote:
I remember reading that in the early days of the US, they practiced something called "Bundling" where if two young people wanted to get married, they would go to bed (to sleep) together to decide if it would work out, and plenty of them had "premature" babies.
My understanding of 'bundling' is totally oposite; that it was designed to prevent pre-marital sex. The idea was that young people were able to talk to each other by bundling up (seperatly) in quilts fully clothed. This was done in winter because of the exteme cold. If it was necessary for them to spend the night because of the difficulty of travel then a 'bundle board' was placed in the bed. So the young people would go to bed, yes, BUT would have a board seperating them AND they would still be bundled in their seperate quilts. It was a custom brought to America by people who came from Scandanavian countries. I once saw a bundle board and the bed it was intended for. It was beautifully carved and slotted into the bed very firmly. There was absolutly no way some protective father was going to be listening to a "whoops I accidently knocked over the board in the night and got your daughter pregnant, but, you know, the sex wasn't that great so I guess I'm not going to be marrying her after all"
Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Oddly enough, sex eventually led to fine dining, instead of the other way around.

--Enigmatic

[ROFL]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.