FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Mom has died (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My Mom has died
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My Mother has died today.
Found her about 3:00pm.
She is 53.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

I'm sorry for your loss Telp...
{{{Telp}}}

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. (((hugs))) Is there anything I can do?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the "is there anything I can do?" I live not too far from Toledo, and I see that you are in the Detroit area.

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lepidamy
Member # 8339

- posted      Profile for Lepidamy   Email Lepidamy         Edit/Delete Post 
Deepest sympathy...though i dont understand why you'd want to burden us with your troubles. My mother dying is something I never want to go through, and seeing your post kinda makes it even more of a reality. But, she was 53? Thats quite young. What was wrong?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Teperion! Please accept my deepest sympathy. That must have been a terrible shock to find her like that. 53 is so very young. It must be a great blow to you.

Know that we are here and we care about you and support you. May you find comfort in your grief.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lepidamy, please check your e-mail.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences, Telperion.... I feel for you... ((hugs))
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
She and I had gotten in a little fight this past week. All my fault. I had downloaded a game onto the computer...without asking. It's her 'puter and the understanding is to ask before uploading anything. Well, I decided it was a small game and no prob. Well she didn't think so and called it a breach of trust. I was very angry for the first day, that she would get so upset over such a small thing. But I came to and realised that I was a bastard. So I apologized and we kissed and made up.

The wierd thing is that it's almost like she knew. She's been so devestated from the divorce from my Dad three years ago that no matter how I tried to cheer her up usually failed. I became very resentful that she would just. not. heal. Because her pain was mine. So I was forced to live with it. Not that I was an easy person to live with. We both had to deal with each other and things that annoyed each other about each other.

But this past year I was really getting used to the idea that I would take care of her. That and because of my poverty this past year my doing most of the house-work was my rent money.

So I was depressed too. But my normal state is to be happy. Well.. normal when there is little stress. Most stress gets me depressed very very easily. So we both ossilated back and forth between being down and being happy. And very rarely would we both be happy at the same time. When one was happy we would try and cheer up the other...usually to no effect. But every once in a while we would be on the same wavelength. And this past week we were almost there. While I wasn't HAPPY, I was at least not bitter and upset. After we made up she bought two pizza'a for us for no reason and was very nice and loving.

And the last night I saw her... I got home from work at midnight, and she had just gotten home from a date! A good date! And she was happy. So I stayed up for a bit and talked to her about it...when, while I really want her to find love again, I'm so self abosrbed cannot find much energy for others. But I did for a bit. We only have cable up in her room so while she stayed up for a bit on the computer I watched Paranoia Agent on Adult Swim. When she came up at 1:30am to kick me out I was just going to run downstairs with a quick "bye". But she stopped me saying "give me a hug". I was like "um.. ok!" [Smile] Hug for a minute then run downstairs.

She asked me to stay up till 6:30am to wake her up for work, since she would have trouble getting up for work...and I work the afternoon shift anyway. So did that and woke her up. Then I went to bed. My brother came home from work at 7:00am and did the same...and he said that she was awake and talking on the phone.

Well.... she didn't go in to work. She can log on to Ford from home so I guess she decided to work from home. Well... I got up at 3:00pm (my day off) and walked into the front room... and I found her slumped over in the chair in front of the computer. For a split second I thought she was alseep. But I realized NO. Ran over... and I knew instantly that she must be dead.. she was cold and her skin was mottled all over. Our house phone is out of wack so I used my cell to call 911. Totally lost it talking to them. Called my brother...no answer so I left a voice mail. Called my Aunt Jenny and she talked with me till the paramedics arrived... 2 seconds after my brother. She was "can you do CPR" and I was like "I don't think it will matter". And the medics said that she'd been dead for several hours.

What a f*#&@$ up day. Spent an hour on the phone with my brother as we called everyone we knew while waiting for my Aunt Betsy, who has medical power of atturney, and my Dad. My Mom had a thousand things wrong with her and was taking like 30 different meds and was seeing about 15 doctors. We couldnt' figure out who was her main physisican and we needed to tell the cops who that was so they could talk to her Dr. and rule out foul play... otherwise they would have to take her to the medical examiner.

Well... they didn't have to... and a shame since we have to pay 1,500 for a private autopsy and government one is free for us. Spent about 5 hours at the funeral home with my brother, Dad, and Aunt Betsy working over arrangements and paperwork and payments and whatnot.

Now I'm over my friend Shawn's house drinking.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what, she knew you loved her. If there's one thing I've learned from my own mum, it's that. I can't imagine a worse day... Again, I feel for you....
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Telp)))) I'm so sorry for your loss...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Telperion. My condolences to you and your family.

Please be sure to take care of yourself.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry. 53 is so young. She should've had so many good years left. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to ask. (((((Telp))))))
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))
I'm really sorry. I will think about you and your Mom really hard.
Take care of you.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to eat, make sure your family eats. Whenever you can be around people, no matter how you feel. Express how you feel.

I say these things because they were the things I had problems with when we lost a parent.

I still can't express how I feel most of the time. Best wishes to you and your family. Hugs are wonderful, give and take them often.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no.

[Frown]

(((((Telp)))))

My Mum turns 50 this year and I cannot imagine losing her in 3 years time.

I am so, so, sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. Know we're here anytime you wish to rant, vent, or whatever. *hugs*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks guys.
Well... it's 6:20am.. and I can't sleep here.
I want to go home. Only one person left to drive me home and they think I shouldn't go home, but I don't want to stay here. I guess I'll just walk home if they won't take me. We have to be up at noon and I'll be a total wreck if I can't get any sleep. Take care Hatrack...thanks again for being my friends.

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can think of is the end of Season Four of Buffy, I think, when she came home and found her mom dead, I think it was you mentioning the 'Date' ahead of time.

That episode moves me more then real death for some reason I do not really understand. I 'get it' when I see SMG do it.

It sounds as if you are facing a horrible crisis of detail and grief. I wish I were in a position to help you sort the financial details and help with the niggling stuff. I hope you have help for all that.

Drink, but try to wake her in the Irish Way, grieve with joy and celebrate what was good. Then get sober and get busy until all the details are taken care of. They can get you evicted or your power shut off or any number of inconveniences you do not need right now.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Telperion. [Frown]

I was sure when I got here the London bombings would be plastered all over the place, but this is worse to hear. If you need anything I can give, I'll be around again, I think.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Telp, I'm sorry.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care, Telp. Are you in immediate need of cash? Hatrackers aren't rich, as a rule, but we take care of our own.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
{{Telperion}}

I wanted to express my sympathies, too.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very sorry, Telperion. Can we have your address, somehow?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion, you're already doing the right things - reaching out to people who will listen; verbalizing the story (which has the effect of purging AND of creating a little emotional distance); immersing yourself in the details of life after losing someone.

It's important that you remember that while many people will give you advice (including me!), you should usually follow your own inclinations. That is, if they say, "No, stay and be with people" but you know that what you need is to be alone - then be alone, for a little at least. If someone says, "You can't stay in the house where she died," but you feel that you WANT to be there because that's where you were last together with her, then do what YOU think is right and what YOU feel that you need.

And your needs and decisions will change over time - that's ok too.

There are things you'll do for others, of course - funerals are for other people, really, not for you - a way for them to offer their support. Accept their support ...

There are some things, though, that you might feel inclined to do. Self-anesthetization begins rationally enough - alcohol does indeed numb some emotions. But it's like taking morphine for pain. It works for a while, but it's also easy to keep the anesthetization going long after the pain is manageable without it.

Meanwhile, the more you write down NOW the happier you'll be later. Even if you get emotional while doing it, write down free-assocation memoirs of your mother. Experiences you had together. Good and bad! Because later you WILL come to feel that your memory of her is slipping away. So anything you write about her now - including absolutely mundane things like what she liked to order from certain restaurants or personal quirks or things you quarreled about or songs she hummed or sang - those things will be really, really important to you later.

Meanwhile, I'll try to forget that I'm 53 myself right now. No, I won't. I already know how fragile life is, and how easily it can end, and how the grief of loss doesn't so much fade as get pushed into the background, always ready to come right to the foreground again at a moment's notice.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Telp.

We'll be here for you if you need us. You are loved, baby.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm sorry.

(((Telperion the Silver and Family)))

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion, Karl, I am so shocked and saddened! I guess no one saw this coming. [Frown]

We're here for you. We'd like your address if that's OK with you.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry to hear that Telp. I know that one of the scariest moments for me was a few years back when my mom suffured a stroke. Just know that anyone here on Hatrack is willing to talk to you or help you in any way possible.

((Telp))

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Telp. ((((((Telp))))))
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Telp, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. (hug)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{{{{Telp}}}}}}}
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry for your loss, Telperion. Peace be with your family and yourself.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very very sorry. *hugs* I'll keep you in my prayers.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp.... I am so sorry for your loss. Only in my nightmares have I ever been in a situation like the one you found yourself in. Reading your account of the past day was sad, but it also showed how much you cared about your mom. It can be hard getting along with our parents, no matter what age, with perhaps the exception of when we are very young. I am glad you were feeling that your relationship was moving forward. Hold on to those memories. Heck, hold on to all your memories. May your mother be at peace.

{{{{Telp and family}}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Karl. I am so sorry.

I second writing. Journals can be wonderfully healing. Just a suggestion, you might find a special journal where you write letters to your mom to be healing.All the things you never got to say, all the new things you want to tell her. The grief will come in waves and will take time, be gentle with yourself, and don't let anyone dictate the timetable of your grieving.

Just wanted to throw out, I didn't even have the casual brew until several months after Brian Benjamin's death because I wanted to be sure I wasn't numbing myself. As much as it hurts you need these feelings. Delaying them won't make them go away, it only stunts the grieving process and may give you an ulcer besides.

Much love

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, I'm so sorry for your loss. [Frown]

Peace and strength to you and yours.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) I'm so sorry honey. Please keep checking in here so we know how you're doing. We all love you. I hope you remember that.

I'd love to know more about your mom too when you feel like telling us about her. She sounds like a wonderful lady who loved you.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss Telp.

If there's anything I can do (which I'd doubt, but never the less I offer my service), I live in the Detroit area, not far from you I believe. I don't remember exactly where you live, but Royal Oak isn't far from most of the metro area. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Writing in journals or on a forum such as this is a good way to get a lot of your emotions out. Many people find it very cathartic, helps to focus the mind and clear your thoughts.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Telp*
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) Keep us posted on how you're doing...
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*
I am sorry for you loss...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp... wow. That's so sad. I can't give any better advice than has already been given, but I will add my voice to the chorus of people who wish this hadn't happened, and who feel a small part of your grief with you. God bless.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss, Telp. To second everyone else, don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything. Whatever it is. ((Telp))
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (((Telp)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, Telp. [Frown]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp,

I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say that others haven't said - and better than I would have.

Please keep writing. Even if I don't post, I'll be reading. And you will be in my thoughts.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry Telp. [Frown]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.