FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Slang (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Slang
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was using "squicky" in the eighties, Olivia. [Smile] In my circle of friends at the time, "squicked out" was a common phrase.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dean:
And I'm pretty sure that I was AT the first SoCal hatrack gathering, and there was no cake that said shindi. And Papa Moose was not at that one either, so I'm guessing you mean a later first SoCal hatrack gathering.

You are correct; I was unclear. The cake was at the first Shinda (there are pictures). SoCal gatherings before the first Shinda . . . well, I'm not sure if they are non-Shindae, or should be grandfathered in.

I'm going to let someone else make that call. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne Kate, slash, Richard Berg, his friend Brian, and several others were at the real first.

I think that that makes it a shinda.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I was using "squicky" in the eighties, Olivia. :) In my circle of friends at the time, "squicked out" was a common phrase.

Tom managed to make it sound like he was a twenty-something revolutionary living in Prague during the 80s, and "squicked out" was on the lips of anyone who mattered. When in fact he was a preteen/teenager just like I was. :D

I don't know why I made that observation other than that it's almost quitting time.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fora
Fori, no? Isn't it second declention neuter? Latin speakers - please tell.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fora
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
huh? [Confused]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know it was around a long time. I remember having to tell people that it wasn't coined by me, after someone said it was. Which was just silly. I can't remember now who it was, but I think it may have been Pat, or maybe Belle, who claimed I'd coined it in one of the old threads along the lines of this one.

I had to say it wasn't my invention, though I was known for making it common here. "Uberwench" was mine, though no one uses that one anymore. *giggle*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Howard:

According to this page at Dictionary.com, the plural of forum is fora.

EDIT: Here's another backup reference...both nominative and accusative nouns ending in -um have plurals ending in -a.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we were conversing in Latin, that might matter. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't encourage him. You know he'll want to. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
If we were conversing in Latin
Oh, but we are.
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
So here's a question that I'm still curious about, what is a landmark thread? I've kindof gleaned a good idea of what they are from reading them, enough to write one in the very distant future, but a couple of people asked earlier.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dean:
But what constitutes a landmark?

And what is a squicky?

And I'm pretty sure that I was AT the first SoCal hatrack gathering, and there was no cake that said shindi. And Papa Moose was not at that one either, so I'm guessing you mean a later first socal hatrack gathering.

Yep, yep, it was dean, perfectgentleman, this newbie called Slash the Berzerker, Richard Berg, Brian Worth, sarfa, Jacob Porter and myself. That was the first hatrack gathering ever! We called them hatrack picnics in those days. We had a blast!

Squicky means gross or icky in a TMI way. Also has connotations of luUuUuUuv, at least to my mind.

A landmark is anything that someone calls a landmark, I think, but it usually autobiographical. I love landmarks!

To clarify, they're usually long posts when people reach a multiple of 1000 posts, but can be at other landmarks in their lives, or other numbers of posts, or whenever they feel like it. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Squicky means gross or icky in a TMI way. Also has connotations of luUuUuUuv, at least to my mind.
What is "TMI" and "luUuUuUuv"?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Oh, but we are.
Y'all are, but we aren't. [Razz]
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop's gives the history of Landmarks.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Total Menstral Ickiness

[edit]I was going to say "Thick" but I thought twice.[/edit]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Wow, that was unexpected.

I didn't mean to upset you, mack.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

TMI =Too Much Information. Th eother might be a weird take on 'luv' but I really have no clue.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom managed to make it sound like he was a twenty-something revolutionary living in Prague during the 80s, and "squicked out" was on the lips of anyone who mattered.
This is a very well-written sentence. It paints quite a picture.

In which TomD fits perfectly. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fori, no? Isn't it second declention neuter? Latin speakers - please tell.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, but the plural of neuter nouns ends in -a, at least in nominative and accusative. cf. curriculum/curricula

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant it as slang!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Suuuure ya did. *pat pat*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh, so it's masculine that ends in "i", I gather?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
What is "TMI" and "luUuUuUuv"?
TMI = Too Much Information, usually used to warn a poster that they are giving more sensitive personal information than their listeners actually care to hear.

LuUuUuUuv = of or related to human mating behavior or rituals

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I totally got flipped off by Mack!

I'm going to remember this forever.

*hits the print button*

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh, and we people forgot "asplode", though I never quite got the true meanings.
scottneb
Member # 676

"Asplode" is from homestarrunner.com, the coolest website ever. Specifically the Strong Bad Email where he's making up cool games. The word was pulled from the term "You're Head Asplode!" The term was used when the Strong Bad character killed you.

Since a lot of the oldies here at Hatrack check HomestarRunner.com, the verbage finds it's way here.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It comes from a video game on H*R where, when you lose, your are told "Your Head A-Splode".
scottneb
Member # 676

*weirded out*
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
'rack hag:

An ornery old crone who trades in her broomstick for a keyboard and rides the threads 24x7, turning everybody into toadies or trolls.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Admit it -- you just made that up on the spot.
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
--l-- was not mack's invention.

Just sayin.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm fully aware of that.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Look! It's a flower!
scottneb
Member # 676

^^^ I got the joke! I got the joke!^^^

[Party]

Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
I'm fully aware of that.

I know, I know... you're late on your bill, by the way....
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

PAT! *glomps*
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, kat. Thanks for noticin.'

[/eeyore]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

But the meaning is still obscure. Does it mean "explode"?
mackillian
Member # 586

I haven't received a notice.
rivka
Member # 4859

*notices*
mackillian
Member # 586

damn!
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Howard:

Here

As a reply to your question about masculine ending in -i, check that link above. It's got the whole table of Latin endings.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* for Alex Johansen and Juxtapose
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.