FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 64)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for still being a girl AND being head down... : )

I had an appt today - he's all the way down and I've started to thin and dilate... I go back next wk for the regular appt and an u/s. I mean - I'm not complaining about having an ultrasound again... I just think it's funny that it's because he's 'small'. Chloe, about a year ago, was the same size. And got a whole bunch of ultrasounds because they were worried she was too BIG. I don't get it?

Also - my strep b came back positive. Which, for some reason, makes me feel like I did something wrong or something. I just hope nothing comes of it in the long run... I don't even really understand what it is or anything, even though the doc AND the nurse explained it to us and I looked it up. Not cool.

Glad to hear everyone's doing well!!! : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay on things continuing to go well. On the strep B thing - all it really means is that you are a carrier. It is a relatively common thing (between 15% and 40% of healthy adult women are). It can cause infections (both of mom and baby), some of which can be life-threatening to the baby if it gets GBS disease (sepsis, pneumonia, menengitis, in addition to other problems). Only .5-1% of babies whose mothers test positive get sick (so the risk is low), but the prevention - giving mom IV antibiotics during labor - is a very simple thing. So, don't worry about it. You didn't do anything wrong and it's really not a big deal. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a big thing at all. And an IV at/during labour is fine- and if you want to go drug free, they time it so it stops way before you need to be moving/walking/pushing if that's what you want.

Edit - that is to say, scary as the idea is, it's treated quite easily. And won't interfere with whatever birth plans you have.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
And they don't treat it earlier because they don't want you to get reinfected.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I guess I just made the mistake of reading things on-line... Nothing like a little worst case scenario to get into your mind, right? ; ) I just keep telling myself that if I'm a carrier, I was most likely a carrier with Chloe and didn't do anything so...

I'm totally going with the iv antibiotics... Still feeling good - two weeks and one day until his due date!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was GBS+ with both pregnancies. My second labor was so fast that they didn't get the IV in in time for the antibiotics to be effective, but we were fine.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Kellum King was born at the stroke of midnight! 6lbs 10.5oz, 19.5 inches.

We had a little scare with the cord being really tight around his neck. Doc had to have me stop pushing and cut it off of him while he was still in there... NICU came to the room and got him going after he was code blue... He got going pretty well, though, and was still able to stay with us.

We're loving him up - he got a clean bill of health from the pediatrician this morning! : )

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! [Big Grin] I'm glad to hear that such a scary thing turned out just fine.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Comes in, looks around, falls asleep. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
*strolls in and passes out next to scholarette*
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Yeah! Good not to be all alone in here. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ten weeks to go for me! [Smile] It feels good to have hit 30 weeks and start the single digit countdown for weeks left.

I feel like I've been pregnant FOREVER!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my first ultrasound and Drs visit this afternoon. As the time gets closer, I am getting more nervous. I just wish it was here so I could see that everything was alright. I don't have any reason to think it won't be but that nagging worry is getting to me.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And you think you'll have less nagging worry after the baby comes?

Um . . . I have bad news.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Just wait until you get to the ultrasound and your dr says, um, let's wait on due dates and stuff for two weeks. Just to be one the safe side. Everything worked out fine, but long two weeks. I also get an ultrasound at my next appt too (checking on the apple sized cyst and doing a doppler to check composition).
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I do find I worry less once they get here. I have a 2 year old already. I spent a lot of time teaching preschool and things so I think I tend to see kids as pretty resilient. Pregnancy though turns me into a huge worry wart until I get to feel the baby kick.

The appointmet went well. I am due October 21st and baby is measuring right on schedule with a strong heart beat.

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Everyone's different, I guess. I always worried less when they were inside, where I knew exactly where they were. [Wink]

Then again, I have teenagers.

theresa51282
Member # 8037

I think its the teenager part! I still don't have to let mine out of sight.
scholarette
Member # 11540

I am due Oct 19th, so we'll be right there together. [Smile] My dr likes the first appt at 6 weeks though. Based on my cycle (vs generic statistical cycle), my due date should be Oct 20. At first appt, measured for Oct 19. At second, I measured for Oct 16. Based on first day of last menstrual it would have been Oct 9th. So it should be interesting to see what's accurate.
scholarette
Member # 11540

I am so much worse at the whole pregnancy this time around. First time I worried and wondered and obsessed. This time, I have to think about it when people ask me how far along I am. I haven't signed up for one of those developmental update e-mails or anything like that. I am mostly unconcerned and apathetic. Like last time, I was so excited and anxious for every doctor appt. This time, it is like, dang it- I had better plans. [Frown] I am possibly more nesty though- I recently painted my daughter's room, made her curtains and I am excitedly shopping for a new bed for her. [Smile] Her current bed is the transformed crib so I will eventually start setting up the nursery. I need to buy shelves so I have a place to move everything and the best time to buy furniture is in july. I also will need to buy a new carseat, but I am waiting on that too- no hurry. I also am fine taking all the pills on my dr's approved list- last time I felt horribly guilty every time I took anything. This time, it is like, it's on the list, hand it over.
rivka
Member # 4859

I disagree that is "worse". It sounds a lot more like a healthy attitude. [Wink] (Not that your first time's obsessing was necessarily unhealthy -- it was normal, for a first pregnancy.)
scholarette
Member # 11540

Worse might be the wrong word- maybe just less concerned. I do kinda feel bad about being so much less excited, but I guess the first time, it is like, I am going to be a mommy. Now, I already am a mommy. That and I remember a lot of the misery and suffering that is coming up. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Plus it's easier to keep in perspective when it's not the first. And I suspect the results of the first pregnancy might be keeping you a tad busy . . . [Wink]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I can completely understand scholarette. I imagine next time I get pregnant I will be much less focussed on the pregnancy - out of necessity!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Well, a three year old with boundless energy who I sometimes think is smarter than me (she comes up with ways to make trouble that I had never even considered) does tend to change the focus a bit. [Smile]
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I can completely relate to the difference between my first pregnancy and this one. Having a toddler makes me forget I am pregnant the majority of the time. She is so into everything now. Part of me seems to remember having a baby as so easy as compared to a 2 year old. I am sure having a baby again will make me remember different [Smile]
scholarette
Member # 11540

There were benefits to a baby, but I love the potty trained aspect. And I like that she can talk. Babies are kind of boring. They just lay there. My three year old tells the funniest stories, can follow directions and do basic things, like pour a bowl of cereal, peel a banana, clean up her toys, etc. Right now, she is just so amazingly cute. I am not a baby person though. I am not really a kid person, except for my own. [Smile]
scholarette
Member # 11540

GIRL!
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I guess I can even things out and post that I found out it was a boy today!
scholarette
Member # 11540

Congrats! [Smile] Girls are better though. No need for shopping for me. That and I can still sew cute frufru dresses for her (they frown on you for dressing your son in a fancy dress).
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both!

(I don't know what mine is yet. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Kq- is this your announcement? how far along are you? I saw no link to your blog in the smiley face this time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an announcement on my blog. I don't know when I'm due yet. I'm guessing late Jan. to early Feb. but I haven't had a period since Nov. so... We're calling around trying to find someone who can date my pregnancy without us paying $2500 first. See, I have to be dated by u/s, because I have no freaking clue. And I can't get Medi-Cal until I have a due date. And I can't go to my doctor until I have Medi-Cal, unless I want to pay $2500 up front for a whole pregnancy's worth of care, and have it refunded to me when I get coverage. Planned Parenthood won't do an ultrasound to date me because I plan on keeping the baby and they're "not licensed for prenatal care." Jeff is going to call a few pregnancy option type places (the type designed to convince women not to have abortions and help them get prenatal care or hook up with adoption agencies) and see if one of them can help.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you use an estimated due date based on your measurments, and then correct it if necessary when you get the ultrasound?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

On your blog, you say you took an pregnancy test last month. Assume that you ovulated the day you took that test and call that your due date. That should be within 2 weeks (if you took the pregnancy test the day before it would have detected, then you are like 2 weeks late on the date, but if your second positive pregnancy test was the absolute first day you could have detected it, then you'll be 2 weeks early). But that date would minimize the possible error on either side. Honestly, I would expect that to give you a later due date (cause you took the second cause feeling sick) but it is also possible that you just get sick fast. With this one, I was sick and pregnant feeling from the first day the test could detect.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's very hard to measure someone as fat as me...

I, um, don't remember when I took that pregnancy test.

I do get sick very fast, if this is anything like my previous pregnancies. With Emma I was fainting the day I implanted.

scholarette
Member # 11540

Maybe assume the positve test was day 40 then. That should put you somewhere within a few weeks. It isn't binding, just something to fill in a blank until the doctor can give a better date. Though, in Texas, I think I had to have the doctor sign I was pregnant before I could get on medicaid, but I seem to think there was a 3 month provision- like they would pay off some of your qualifying medical bills that were within 3 months of qualification.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, TX is different. It was much easier to get this done there.

But, on the plus side, the pregnancy crisis clinic can do what I need. And they even gave Jeff a list of places that also could that have Saturday appointments (further drive but probably worth it.) So I will have an accurate date, don't have to worry about that any more. [Smile]

theresa51282
Member # 8037

Congrats! What a frustrating system to want proof of the date of the pregnancy without providing any way to get that proof. Yuck!

I get to the halfway point this week. It seems to be flying by this time around. I feel a little guilty because I haven't spent nearly as much time getting ready for this baby as I did for my first. This baby is going to share a room with my daughter so I need to work on making it more gender neutral. It is definetly a little girls room right now. I just am so tired by the end of the day keeping up with a toddler that I am not making any progress. Hopefully, baby boy won't notice [Big Grin]

scholarette
Member # 11540

kq- let us know when you have a due date. [Smile] My husband is claiming we were so much more ready for bin. I'm looking back thinking that the nursery wasn't ready until 3 months after we brought bin home from the hospital, I had very few clothes for her and no stroller, no swing, none of that stuff. We are putting new baby in what is now the game room, which requires me putting up a whole bunch of bookshelves in my room to hold all the board games. And before I do that, I want to paint my room green. Which does mean, yeah, we have some work to getting the nursery up, but my parents are planning to come help before the baby comes. I actually feel like I have a really good chance of getting everything set up before the baby comes home this time. I haven't done a name cross stitch for this one (or even picked one out yet) like I did for Bin and considering the time and effort those things take, I think I am going to have to do one for new baby to lessen rivalry. I really want to like have the house super clean and stuff, but I don't have the energy to do the work right now.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, you know, I always have the energy to clean a few weeks to a few months before the baby comes. So I do (except last time, when I wanted to but my PSD wouldn't let me [Frown] ) but then it just gets messy again after... [Razz]

Our main things we'll have to do to get ready for the baby are a) find Emma a loft bed that's the right height so Maggie can have hers, b) get a bigger vehicle, c) new car seat (because I want one, not because I really really need one-- we have seats that would work for a newborn), and d) if it's a boy, shop for clothes. LOL. I think we become more and more minimalists with each child (though it helps that this time around we already have 2 double strollers, both of which can take a newborn, though we'll have to fit the bassinet to the Mountain Buggy, a single that can also take a newborn, slings, a Moby, a bassinet, a rocker, a swing, etc., etc. So I guess we're not so much minimalists as pre-equipped.)

scholarette
Member # 11540

We are talking about getting a bigger vehicle and we'll probably need to get a new carseat, but what carseat we get will probably depend on our car. The car will depend on whether or not my husband has a job, which while we are pretty confident he will until the end of the year, we don't know what will happen after that.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, you know who to ask if you want options to fit. [Wink]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Well, you know who to ask if you want options to fit. [Wink]

This woman speaks the truth. She could probably work as a consultant at one of those car seat manufacturing companies. Not...even...kidding. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

I plan to, just waiting until I know what I need. If we buy a van, that is pretty different from trying to shove three carseats into a Corolla (next year, I am carpooling for preschool and will need to fit the infant and two 3 year olds back there). I am hoping the van is what we go with. [Smile] Of course, if my husband has no job, there is no way we'll be getting a new car.

ETA- I considered force feeding the kids to get them up to 40 pounds, but not sure how to make them tall and emotionally mature enough for a booster.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*shoves 3 kids into a Corolla on a regular basis* [Wink]
scholarette
Member # 11540

I was talking to someone with three kids who was claiming they got the most fuel efficient option they could when they got a van. With three kids they just could not possibly do anything smaller. He was really upset when I called BS on that. Our main motivator for a new car is that my husband's car is near death and keeping it going is getting expensive.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I can understand that. It's neither fuel efficient nor money efficient to keep pouring money into something that keeps dying on you.

We have TRULY outgrown our Corolla. It's probably going to go on long-term loan to friends who don't have a safe way to transport their current 2 kids, and have another on the way this month, unless we HAVE to sell it to buy a van.

scholarette
Member # 11540

I can't think of a possible way to safely fit 4 kids into a corolla. Once you hit 4, you pretty much have to go up to a van, suv, crossover- something with 2 back rows basically. I actually don't have a problem with my friends getting a van- just the whole this is what we had to do mentality. They also bought brand new because they had to and live in a huge McMansion they can't afford (I know families with 4 kids who live in 3 bedroom houses- that's what we did growing up). I admit, I want a 4 bedroom house and a fancy car, but there is a difference between wants and needs (but as I said, with 4 kids, you really are to the need stage for a van).
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.