FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 33)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughing

But desperation is the mother of, er, innovation. Or something like that.

---

Edited to add: My mother, a nurse, hung onto some alternative-access phenargans. I was always a little afraid of the fridge. I mean, yes, they were sterile, but ... but. As it were.

And I say no more.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been 15 hours since I took my phenergan (since I was going to sleep, I went ahead and took a whole one) and it is still in effect. I had breakfast this morning, and am about to have lunch.

I CHANGED A DIAPER without gagging once. A really smelly one.

YAAAAAY for phenergan! It also helped with my insomnia. I'm thinking that if I can take just one whole pill each night after I am ready for bed, when the nausea has just started to kick in, and it will last all the way through (since my nausea usually ends around 2:30 I am hopeful that even if it's not a full 24 hour effect it's maybe 18), that will be really the ideal solution. Just take it before bed, sleep all night, and no nausea all day.

I told you I was very sensitive to it. [Big Grin] My doctor will be happy to hear of this. He says he usually doesn't give anti-nausea meds to more-than-first-time moms unless they know something has worked for them in the past, because there are just so many women that nothing works for their morning sickness. But I told him phenergan REALLY works for me, and he will be happy to hear that I am right. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my sister had really bad hemorrhoids and kept... stuff for it in the fridge. We tried not to look at that part of the fridge (I think she used the butter or egg storer area.) Ick.

My dad has something of the sort, but he keeps it in the downstairs fridge reserved mostly for extra sodas and stuff. So I don't have to encounter it much.

Ah, the memories...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Phenergan! It's what I take at night time too (though it doesn't last long enough for me to survive on it alone - hopefully it will for you). For day-time, I take Zofran. I'm seriously so happy for you!!! Having lived with horrible nausea for a couple months, I know how wonderful it is when it stops and you can eat again! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yay for good doctor's appointments!

I...have to go see the chiropractor tomorrow afternoon, or I'll never make it through the zoo with the kiddos. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

ARRRRRGH!!!

If it's not one thing, it's another. In addition to my already swelling breasts (I just had to buy new bras AGAIN), my colostrum is coming in more and more-- hard and fast today. It is NOT COMFORTABLE. It itches, it hurts, and there won't be a baby to relieve the discomfort for SIX FREAKING MONTHS. Why on earth does this happen to me? It happened last time too, but not quite so early!

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering if that would happen to me, but it hasn't yet. Is it typically something that only happens for 2nd and subsequent pregnancies?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Typically, it's not supposed to happen until the third trimester. For some women, not until after the baby is born.

But for us exceptions, it happens in the second or even first trimester. With my first, it came in at about 16 weeks. My second, about 14, I think. This time, I think it was 8 weeks.

Katarain
Member # 6659

Okay. Thanks for the info. [Smile] It'll be good to know what's happening in the third trimester if it happens to me.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time with it. It sounds annoying.

Hmm.. it itches? Can that be the first symptom before it comes in? Because I've been itching some, and it's very annoying.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Dry skin type itchiness is a common pregnancy symptom.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Itching can also occur just from the breasts growing.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(With my luck, by baby number 5, colostrum coming in will be my first symptom at 5 weeks. :| )
Katarain
Member # 6659

I've always had dry skin, this was breast itching--where it's uncomfortable to scratch. Thankfully, it's been pretty rare.

I had to postpone my ultrasound. Hubby was feeling poorly today and I didn't want to go alone. A couple more days won't kill me, I suppose.

DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have dry, itchy patches on your breasts, it could be yeast...you may want to check it and treat it before having your baby because you DO NOT WANT THRUSH!
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first OB appointment today and they measured me at 10 weeks, 4 days (May 25th due date). The baby was healthy, squirmy, and with a great heartbeat (167). I'm feeling so much better! I miscarried this summer and have been so paranoid for the last few weeks. Now I feel better. Plus, I can start telling people. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yay Christine!!! That is wonderful news! I hope that things will continue to go well with your little one! [Big Grin]

Poor kq! I've been wondering if I was going to have any colostrum issues during this trimester or not. So far, not. I've had a little of the breast itching (like Kat) that I assumed has been from growth and for a week or 2 some weird nipple peeling (it was really strange) that is thankfully over. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have nipple peeling toward the end of the second trimester every time. I agree, it's bizzare. But you ignore it and it gets better. Thankfully.

Yay for healthy babies and almost out of the first trimester, Christine! I'm officially in the 2nd today.

dkw
Member # 3264

Ooo . . . I'd forgotten the nipple peeling. That was weird.

I'm glad your nausea is letting up, kq. I had morning sickness all the way into the third trimester. The first time.

[Monkeys]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Congratulations?

(Congratulations!!)

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

I hate that tense and very tight feeling in my lower abdomen that I've felt both at times when I've had a full bladder and right after emptying said bladder. Does anybody know why that happens? (It doesn't always happen either.)

ETA: It also happens sometimes when I stand up from sitting. Although that is usually painful, too, and not just tense/tight. I blame that on the all-encompassing ligament pain.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. That and it can't hurt to drink more water and urinate more, just in case it's a matter of needing to stretch out your bladder some.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

As for you, dkw, I will be [Monkeys] as well until we get an official announcement.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be Braxton-Hicks contractions. Just sayin'. I seem to remember feeling them more often early on when I had a full bladder.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

So what do Braxton-Hicks contractions feel like (or even regular contractions)?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Anything from menstrual cramps, to just a tightening in the abdomen, to a hand squeezing your insides really, really hard. With nails. And sometimes you don't feel them at all. I've had the full range of Braxton-Hicks every pregnancy, and honestly they can feel different from one to the next, never mind from person to person!
Katarain
Member # 6659

Interesting. I thought that Braxton-Hicks contractions would feel like tightening then loosening... ya know, like contracting. That's probably what it is.
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Braxton-Hicks were varied for me, too. Sometimes it felt like baby had momentarily turned into a basketball. Sometimes it was like menstrual cramps. They were always in front, though. I was warned that it would be contractions all the way around to my back that would signal true labor. Is this what everyone else experienced?
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I often have Braxton-Hicks in the back, sometimes in back only, sometimes all the way around. I had some today, in fact.

And I have had every kind of contraction imaginable while in labor, too-- front only, back only, all the way around, felt more on one side or the other...

Honestly, the thing that really signals that you're really in labor is when you progress with contractions. (Or, if you're lucky, your water breaks.)

ludosti
Member # 1772

I always wondered if I'm weird since I haven't been able to identify anything like Braxton-Hicks contractions. I guess the paranoid part of me wonders if 2 months down the road I'll even know when I go into labor (logically, I know that as things progress I'll certainly be able to tell what's going on, but I still get weird paranoia about "not knowing"). [ROFL] I guess it doesn't help that my menstrual cramps always feel to me like bad intestinal cramps.
dkw
Member # 3264

I didn't have noticable Braxton-Hicks until about 2 months before John was born, and then it was just a few and not very often. Couple times a week.

And I was in labor for 7 hours before I figured it out. (In my defense, I was mostly asleep. I thought it was a little weird that I had to get up and go to the bathroom exactly on the half-hour from 11:30 on, but didn't figure it out until I actually stayed awake after the 5:30 am bathroom trip and so was awake when the 6:30 contraction followed by immediate need to pee hit.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

MOST people do not have Braxton-Hicks until well into the third trimester. If then. Women have gone into labor with no prior noticeable contractions whatsoever. You're normal, ludosti.

I, on the other hand, am WEIRD. And have a family history of B-H throughout pregnancy-- my mom actually was on relaxants with my brother (her fourth) because they were so constant, from 3 months on. I had to take relaxants for a while with Bridget, because they were long and strong and close together enough that they worried the doctors coming that early. So rest assured, I am the abnormal one, not you. [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Sleeping through the first bit of labor sounds nice to me! And I'm glad I'm not so weird. [Smile]

I've started having birth dreams. The last 2 nights in a row I've had dreams of giving birth or being in labor. If only giving birth was as easy as the first dream (she literally popped right out)... The dream last night was funny in that at the hospital they had these giant stuffed animals for us to hold and squeeze during contractions.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, not a bad idea... Then no risk of breaking your husband's hand...
dkw
Member # 3264

I slept a fair amount during the later part of labor too. And in the middle I went in to work for three hours, went out to lunch, folded laundry, etc. About 11 o'clock that evening we put the hospital bags in the car and then I took a warm shower (to relax) and went to bed. The contractions were pretty strong at that point, but as long as Bob had his fist pushing very hard into the small of my back they were manageable, so we got some good sleep before heading into the hospital at 2:30 am. Once we were checked into the hospital I laid on my side on the bed and he sat on the doctor's stool behind me and leaned his head on my shoulder and we both dozed between contractions until I went into transition.

It was a great way to do it, because John was born at 7:48 am and we both felt well enough rested to be up for the day.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Man, you're lucky.

Labor makes me jumpy, I can't sleep more than 10 minutes at a time, no appetite, throwing up... From the early stages, when I'm BARELY progressing at all.

Which means with Emma I had had almost zero sleep for two weeks before they finally induced me.

Which is why as soon as it started with Bridget, I told my doctor it was time to induce me. Muuuuuch nicer.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I had bin, I had a dream that I had her and forgot to feed her for a week. I woke up panicking and freaking out and crying. I think my labor progresses more like kq's. my cerix was ripe at 36 weeks and I was having contractions and stuff and pretty miserable. After 3 weeks of me whining, the doctor decided it was time to induce.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My back hurts. Actually, a little lower than my back. And has for a week now. Grrrr. Nothing I do provides long-term relief. I think it's my hip joints getting loose and already pulling things out of whack.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
flushtration: when you finally get comfortable and warm in bed and then realize you *have* to pee, NOW. You get up, waddle to the bathroom, sit down, and realize that you just went right before you laid down, baby was just sitting on your bladder, and you really didn't have more than a couple drops to expel. Wipe, flush, repeat. Grr.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I have to go in for the 3-hour gestational diabetes screening. I am SO sad. Probably more than it warrants. It's one of those things that is enough lifestyle-related that I feel guilty about not having enough insulin, for crying out loud.

So I haven't been diagnosed yet, but in the week and a half till I can get in for the 3-hour screening, I'm going to start with some of the lifestyle changes. I guess that means, um, no ice cream? Other than that, there's not that much to change, except for being more consistent about walking. Again, except for the ice cream, we pretty much eat a diet with lean protein, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies...

Grrrrr.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

You might be fine. I had to do the 3 hour screening because the one hour was borderline and the 3 hour one came back perfectly normal.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So did my sister-in-law's. [Smile] It is good to not, you know, eat a lot of candy the few days before the three-hour screen, though.
dkw
Member # 3264

Also walk around as much as you can in between the blood draws.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks...that helps a lot. [Smile]
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, also make sure you're well-hydrated the 24 hours before the fasting period begins.
ludosti
Member # 1772

Hopefully your 3 hour test will yield better results than the 1 hour test did! I've known several people that did fine with the longer test. [Smile]

Well, at my appt this week (34 weeks), I have now reached my pre-pregnancy weight. [Big Grin] I was hoping to make it a little bit longer till doing so, but that's ok. I did ok on the 1 hour glucose test so I'm not diabetic (a huge weight off my mind). Hopefully my ultrasound next week will show that my placenta has moved up to where it should be. I'm looking forward to being done with work in 2 more weeks - I did way too much yesterday and am really paying for it today. My little ninja is being good and has already oriented herself head down (hopefully she won't turn around in the next few weeks). We started working on her room over the weekend, which has me all excited. We're really starting to get excited for her to just get here.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think the glucose test is my least favorite part of prenatal care. I wonder how big a fuss my doctor would make if I refused it...
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how a given doctor would feel about it, but it might be worth asking.

It's good to get an accurate result because if there is gestational diabetes, the baby is more likely to grow into a linebacker shape: i.e., his/her shoulders can get wider than his head, so during delivery, the baby's head (usually the biggest part) can get delivered but the shoulders may get stuck. [Usually if the head gets through the pelvic bones, the shoulders can get squooshed together enough to slide through right after. For babies of moms without diabetes, the head is kind of like the limiting factor -- if the head can make it, so can the baby. But in the case of unmanaged diabetes, the baby can get stuck halfway out.]

The only ways to deliver the baby at that point are to break one of the collarbones so the shoulders can be squashed tighter together, or you can push the head back inside and do an emergency c-section. Shoulder dystocia is a medical emergency, and it can be prevented by keeping the blood sugars of women who qualify for the diagnosis of gestational diabetes under control during the pregnancy.

Also, the mother's blood sugar crosses the placenta, and having high levels during pregnancy stimulates the baby's insulin to be extra high. When he/she is born and that blood sugar isn't coming from the mom, the baby's glucose can drop dangerously low and send him/her into seizures on the first day of life.

The stuff tastes horrrrrid and it makes you feel crappy (I've had to take the test for reasons other than pregnancy), but I think I'd always encourage people to do the screen.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think the glucose test was that bad. Granted, I only had to do the one-hour because I was fine. The orange stuff they made me drink wasn't even that bad.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm not sayin' I'll actually refuse. I don't actually mind the stuff (they're always like, "You drank it already?" 'cause I chug it down in 10 seconds instead of taking the whole minute to drink it), but it does make me feel awful, and it's a pain because the lab here (unlike the first one I took) makes you wait IN THE WAITING AREA the whole hour. With toddlers, not fun. I have no family or personal history of diabetes (of any kind, including gestational), and I'm always monitored pretty closely for the baby's growth by ultrasound (because of my constant and frequent Braxton-Hicks starting in the first trimester.)

But I probably won't REALLY ever refuse it. I just want to. *sigh*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I should mention that the waiting area has no tv, is about the size of a standard handicapped bathroom stall, no windows, smells like lab, and has dirty, old chairs.
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.