FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » age and religion, please (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: age and religion, please
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I shouldn't mention that I was saying it facetiously. [Embarrassed]

Also, I think it's weird that they included that definition, especially since I don't think it's entirely accurate.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured you were just getting into character.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
26/LDS
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
38/guilty-about-being-agnostic.

And, NOT getting Republican as I grow older!!

(Though I have met some cute Republicans...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I figured you were just getting into character.

Yup. I was doing it so well that I didn't even realize I was doing it. Yeah, that's the ticket. [Wink]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
26/Christian
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe M-W has that as one of the definitions of "gentile." o_O

I am not one who uses the term "gentile" when referring to people who are not LDS. I didn't know the practice had made it to the ears of M-W.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

See, I always thought it meant "not of the house of Israel." It baffles me that a Mormon would think of a Jew as a Gentile.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
30/lapsed-baptist.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, same here. Well, now that I think of it, the BoM says repeatedly that those of the house of Israel that reject Christ will not be counted part of the house of Israel anymore. While those that do accept Him will be adopted in.

Nevertheless, *I* do not use the term "Gentile" that way.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
31/agnostic

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, don't I remember that (at least a couple of years ago) you considered yourself Taoist?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used the word "gentile" in a normal conversation and only heard the word used in church...
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, I pretty much only utter "Gentile" when I am reading the scriptures aloud....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
29/LDS
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
plaid -- no way -- you're 38? I would have guessed you much younger than that, even though I have met you! Must be that good country livin' *grin*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
27/agnostic, and also surprised that plaid is 38.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why, Noemon? If you don't mind me asking?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
23/atheist.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to bring up something that was posted way back on page 2, but was just wondering if Annie was going to answer ElJay's question:

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Annie:
Looks like Hatrack is kinda like the way I like to describe Salt Lake City - everyone is either Mormon or trying very hard to prove they're not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annie, we were asked to respond to a poll. How are those of us who were raised in and/or practice another religion trying very hard to prove we're not Mormon?

Because I'm curious where that comment of Annie's came from too.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, everything after the em dash was describing Salt Lake City, not Hatrack. Dunno if that makes it any clearer.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
28/LDS
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
25/agnostic
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
20/Byzantine Catholic
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because I'm curious where that comment of Annie's came from too.
me too.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
27/Mormon

What do the statistics look like so far?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm updating right now.

If only I can remember where I left off.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
38/athiest
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'm glad you brought it back up, I was considering if I wanted an answer badly enough to bump it myself.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why it struck me as such an odd statement, but it did.

For some reason I find it insulting. And I don't think Annie meant to be offensive on purpose, maybe I'm just being too sensitive.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, 38, and I've got LOTS of grey hair to show for it. :sigh:
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just 26 *sigh* and some white hairs... *big sigh*
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
17/undetermined

I believe there's something out there bigger than us

but I don't think it likes me very much

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I have you beat, Choobak. I'm...

20/some kind of protestant Christian--you may call me Methodist, if you like...

...and I have some white hairs.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 

I am a former Catholic, and I label myself agnostic. I have had a continuous interest in the spiritual, though, and am trying to find my way and figure out exactly what I believe.

I am not entirely familiar with the term apatheist, and would appreciate some clarification on it.

Politically, I was raised in a very conservative family and community. In my teens and early twenties, I because substantially more liberal. In my late twenties, I found myself becoming more conservative. I now seem to be more liberal by comparison, but I feel like it is not I who have changed, but the rest of the country--or more particularly, the Republican party. So I guess I'm agnostic when it comes to politics as well, though my sympathies lean more heavily Democrat at the moment than they have in years.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Shane, and I am 34.

I was born Roman Catholic, and I am now a Jedi Knight of Columbus, which allows me to bring my light saber to Church...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm picturing a statue of Yoda in a fez holding a child in his arms in front of the clubhouse, Alucard. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
15/ born Jewish (not sure whether I believe in the existence of G-d or not, though)
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
35/United Methodist
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob (the lawyer), you are so young! It's funny how I read people's comments and get a gist of their personalities online...I tend to assume that smart and articulate people between the ages of 18-25 are older than they are. I suppose it's because they are smart and articulate. Am I perpetuating a gross stereotype of the 18-25 age group (when I'm only 26 myself)? [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Narnia, you're evil.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Well. That settles that then.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Narnia. The new Evil.
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
27/inactiveRM drr... I mean LDS.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
15 / "Human". OR:

15 / Philosophy Student.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Narnia. The new Evil.
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
33/Roman Catholic
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
Originally posted by eslaine:
quote:
Narnia. The new Evil.
[Roll Eyes]
What? I can do evil!! [Evil Laugh]

See? [Evil] look, there's more!

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
18/ United Methodist
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
46/United Methodist hoping for a move toward even MORE liberal thinking within that denomination.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.